No announcement yet.

Official Free Agency Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uncapped year i can't imagine the vikings letting him walk, but i would love to make him an offer.
    SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
    Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

• Originally posted by SINCE1978 View Post
      Vikings DE Ray Edwards is really having a breakthrough year. Granted Jared Allen is helping his cause but he is a FA in 2010. IF (big if) he goes for the $$ wouldn't he be a great guy for Detroit to pursue? 6-5 270, 24 yrs old ... I'm just saying ;o)
      He blew us up... but again he will price himself out of his true talent I believe. Allen+Williams+Williams will make anyone look solid on the right. Not to say he is a nobody, but I think his price will be based on this year and unfortunatlely we don't get the rest of his line with the price.

Even in an uncapped year ... I'd rather not but it is tempting. I
      'd rather we draft someone like Brandon Spikes in the 2nd or Eric Norwood in the 2nd/3rd.

Comment

• Question regarding the uncapped year: Are any contracts signed next offseason not subject to a salary cap if one is implemented for the subsequent seasons?
        [

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• I can't answer that question for you, but I do know that with the uncapped year its the perfect time for teams to dump bad contracts because the cap hits will be absorbed. At least thats how I understood it. We don't really have to many big contracts that we'd be looking to get rid of but I'd dump, Dewayne White, Jeff Backus and I'm sure theres more if I look at the roster.

Also regarding Ray Edwards, the way I understand things if there isn't a new CBA he will be considered an RFA not a UFA. Because you would need 6 years of service time instead of 4 to become a free agent.
          Last edited by Scotty D; 12-01-2009, 06:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
            I can't answer that question for you, but I do know that with the uncapped year its the perfect time for teams to dump bad contracts because the cap hits will be absorbed. At least thats how I understood it. We don't really have to many big contracts that we'd be looking to get rid of but I'd dump, Dewayne White, Jeff Backus and I'm sure theres more if I look at the roster.

Also regarding Ray Edwards, the way I understand things if there isn't a new CBA he will be considered an RFA not a UFA. Because you would need 6 years of service time instead of 4 to become a free agent.
            Teams cannot dump salary in an uncapped year unless a player's contract is up. In fact players will have 2 years added to their contracts before they can become FA's as you mentioned. You might get some cap relief but any player under contract will still have to be paid as a contract is a contract under the law. However since there will be practically no FA's available in an uncapped year with the 6 year rule in effect, how do you replace veteran players who you may want to release to save on future cap hits. I think you will find that teams have little maneuverability in what they can do with their roster in an uncapped year.
            And proud of it!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by noondog View Post
              Question regarding the uncapped year: Are any contracts signed next offseason not subject to a salary cap if one is implemented for the subsequent seasons?
              Since the league is determined to make sure no team takes advantage of an uncapped year, I imagine any contract signed will carry over into the next season that has a cap. Gesides with the 6 year rule in effect for an uncapped year, there won't be any FA's to sign.
              And proud of it!!!

Comment

• Yeah that 6 year rule sucks. Lots of good players will not be available because of it.

Logan Mankins,Jahri Evans?,Carlos Rogers,Richard Marshall,Otogwe? Pretty much any free agent I would want us to sign.

Comment

• http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=NFL&id=1431

Lions claim Maurice Williams, OG after being released by the Jaguars. The blurb says we inherit the 4 year 16 million contract the Jags gave him. But we don't owe him any guarenteed money, just his base salary. Just means we can cut him at any time without a cap penalty

Comment

• Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
                    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=NFL&id=1431

Lions claim Maurice Williams, OG after being released by the Jaguars. The blurb says we inherit the 4 year 16 million contract the Jags gave him. But we don't owe him any guarenteed money, just his base salary. Just means we can cut him at any time without a cap penalty
                    For what it's worth on Williams ... a Michigan Wolverine.
                    Williams ranked eighth in franchise history with 100 starts in 106 games played since being selected as the club's second-round draft pick in 2001. Williams started all 16 games in five different seasons, making starts at right tackle, left tackle and right guard. He started 64 consecutive games, the fifth-most in team history, from 2003 to 2006. He was part of an offensive line that helped the Jaguars rush for the two highest single-season totals in franchise history from 2006-07 including a single-season franchise record 2,541 yards in 2006. Williams was replaced earlier this year by Uche Nwaneri in the starting lineup. The Jaguars have relegated Williams to the bench for six games in a row.

Detroit is desperate for G play. Dylan Gandy last game ... really?

Comment

• Good signing with Peterman out and Loper hurt with back issues. Shack Harris was all over this one. Wonder why the Jags released him?

Comment

• money problems due to blackouts and small cut in revenue sharing next year?
                        SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
                        Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

• http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/...-+MLive.com%29

Maurice Williams failed his physical. oh well

Comment

• Wow, the mysterious "failed physical" strikes again!
                            We need G help bad ... even when Peterman is healthy we are a bottom 5 ranked team in G talent in the league. I'm leaning toward wanting Detroit to draft 2 in the Spring ;o)
                            1 more year for Backus with Pettigrew (TE) on his left & say Iupati (G) on his right. we get our LT in 2011 ... how's that sound?

Comment

• Originally posted by SINCE1978 View Post
                              Wow, the mysterious "failed physical" strikes again!
                              We need G help bad ... even when Peterman is healthy we are a bottom 5 ranked team in G talent in the league. I'm leaning toward wanting Detroit to draft 2 in the Spring ;o)
                              1 more year for Backus with Pettigrew (TE) on his left & say Iupati (G) on his right. we get our LT in 2011 ... how's that sound?
                              I think Backus is gonna be cut this year. We can find a cheaper vet or even a Mid Round pick to play LT at Backus' level. He sucks. He's expensive and he sucks. I really don't think we have anything to gain by keeping him around.

Comment

• We will not find a LT in FA ... if they are any good, teams keep LT's. I agree Backus's salary is ridiculous for his performance. But it's based on him being a 1st rd pick! (thanks Millen) Hard to cut a guys pay b/c he sucks. You just have to cut the guy ... and you very well could be right about them doing that this off season.
                                Drafting one is an obvious option ... if Jason Fox (Miami) slips to rd 3 that would be a great pick up. Chris Scott (Tennessee) is a versatile lineman with plenty of SEC starts under his belt. He is another 3-4th rounder I like. I just am not sold on Okung, call it a gut feeling?
                                I am leaning towards 2 G's right now. Maybe a G & C? (Railoa is getting up there in age too) Then getting an elite LT in 2011. So many holes, so few picks ;o) (thanks again Millen)

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information