Trade Scenario

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StorminNorman View Post
    I really don't think Detroit could make a better offer than Cleveland.
    I personally dont think that Cleveland would really jump into the fold for Cutler. Granted they would like to have a 25 yr old pro bowler, oh wait they already do in DA and they still have Brady.

Yes I understand the argument that McDainels would want a a Weiss disciple in Quinn due to the Patriots connection, but with that reasoning why would Mangini not want the same thing?

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3983805
      "I went in there with every intention of solving the issue, being a Bronco, moving forward as a Bronco," Cutler said. "We weren't in there but about 20 minutes, [McDaniels] did most of the talking and as far as I'm concerned, he made it clear he wants his own guy. He admitted he wanted Matt Cassel because he said he has raised him up from the ground as a quarterback. He said he wasn't sorry about it. He made it clear that he could still entertain trading me because, as he put it, he'll do whatever he feels is in the best interest of the organization.

"At the end of the meeting, he wasn't like, 'Jay, I want you as our quarterback, you're our guy.' It felt like the opposite. He basically said that I needed to tell him if we can't work this out, to let him know," Cutler added. "I thought he was antagonizing me and that was disappointing because I was ready to move on, committed as a Bronco. Really, I figured we'd hash things out, shake hands, laugh a little and move forward. What happened [Saturday] was the last thing I expected. If I didn't think it could be fixed, I never would have come back to Denver. It was painfully obvious to me and Bus [Cook, his agent] it's not something they want to fix."

Consequently, Cutler instructed Cook, who also attended the meeting, to formally request a trade. The quarterback said he left town late Sunday and would skip McDaniels' first (non-mandatory) team meeting Monday as they begin their offseason program.
      mcdaniels won't apologize for doing his job. cutler should have relaxed and let it go. oh well, our win hopefully.
      SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
      Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

If we get Cutler look for some of the better free agents still available to maybe sign with us. I'm not sure whose still even out there. Maybe we could fit in Crowell somehow. Maybe a Pete Kendall or veteran WR (Harrison, Holt, ?)

Comment

orlando pace, chris mccalister, and crowell would be great.
          Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

Alright, so I've been giving a potential offer for Cutler some thought and I came up with this:

3 team trade with Cleveland, Denver, and us

We get Cutler & Jarvis Moss from Denver and #50 from Cleveland
            We give up #20 & 2010 2nd to Denver and #33 & 82 to Cleveland

Denver would get Brady Quinn from Cleveland, #20 & 2010 2nd from us.
            Denver would give up Cutler & Moss to us

Cleveland would get #33 & 82 from us
            Cleveland would give up Brady Quinn to Denver and #50 to us

This would potentially work because it would give Cleveland a mid 2nd round value for Quinn, while allowing them to move up to #33 to target one of the top 3 RBs there, at #5 they could grab Orakpo, and at #36 they could get a WR like Nicks or Robiskie to play across from Edwards. then in the 3rd they can grab a RT or CB. Granted Cleveland might be more inclined to trade DA, but the new GM actually has more history with DA than Quinn and it was DA that made the pro bowl 2 yrs ago not Quinn.

Denver would get a young talented semi-proven QB who was brought up in college under a similar scheme with similar terminology so he should have a quicker learning curve. plus they'd get #20, which would allow them to go Brown or Maybin at 12 and Vontae Davis at 20 to solidify their D. They'd be willing to give up Jarvis Moss because with the new shceme change he probably doesn't project well at OLB compared to Dumervill. Additionally they'll still have a 2nd and 3rd to fill other needs at NT and such.

We'd be giving up a lot, but we'd be getting our starting QB who is a proven stud and only 25 yrs old. Plus we'd also be getting a young DE, who I view as over-rated, but still possesses some potential to be an edge rusher in a 4-3. We'd still have #1 to get the top LT, a mid 2nd to get BPA which could easily be a CB, TE, DT, S, or LB. And then we'll still have our 3rd to also go BPA at the positions mentioned above.

The one thing that I'd like to see is if we could move Backus in a deal, maybe taking the place of the #82 to Cleveland to fill there hole at RT. I say ths because at #50, 65, or 82 we should be in a great position to grab a LG at great value that is younger and less expensive to grow with the new LT.

I know this scenario is a pipe dream, but oh well I'm board and day dreaming a little so it fits my current train of thought.

Comment

Originally posted by woodnick View Post
              I personally dont think that Cleveland would really jump into the fold for Cutler. Granted they would like to have a 25 yr old pro bowler, oh wait they already do in DA and they still have Brady.
              That would work if it wasn't for the fact that DA became DA again in 2008.

Yes I understand the argument that McDainels would want a a Weiss disciple in Quinn due to the Patriots connection, but with that reasoning why would Mangini not want the same thing?
              Now this is too easy.

Mangini was a Defensive Coordinator.

Comment

The Cold Hard Reality on Cutler is he is never going to Detroit.

Detroit cannot trade for Cutler - they don't have nearly enough capital to do so. Denver's team needs (as identified by Scott Wright) are:

1. Defensive Tackle

This is obviously a position we can't even begin to help Denver with.

2. Linebacker

Peterson clearly isn't going away and Dizon has no value. Simms may have value and if this was 2007 maybe he would be a good trade tool, but he doesn't fit Nolan's new 3-4 system.

3. Defensive Back

See Defensive Tackle.

Maybe Detroit can trade Calvin Johnson, after all a QB is always more valuable than a WR. Then again Denver also has one of the best WR Corps in the NFL. Kevin Smith? Denver spent good money on Arrington and Buckhalter.

The fact is Detroit has nothing to offer but draft picks and even there Detroit can't afford to give Denver multiple Day 1 picks simply because they have too many holes to trade away a draft on one player.

Cleveland can offer not only a Charlie Weiss groomed QB, but Shaun Rodgers.

Carolina can offer Delhomme and Peppers.

Tampa is desperate enough to give Denver the first and third picks this year, and offer 2010 picks. They also have the cap room to give Cutler the biggest contract in the history of forever.

Comment

3 team deals could make things a whole lot easier. shaun rodgers, cutler, 1st round pick+ kind of things. we have lot of draft pick ammo if we wanted to spend it.
                  Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

Tampa is desperate enough to give Denver the first and third picks this year, and offer 2010 picks. They also have the cap room to give Cutler the biggest contract in the history of forever.
                    We can make Denver the best offer out of anybody. We still have a ton of cap. Yes Denver has a lot of holes, but thats what all the draft picks would be for. Don't sleep on Chris Simms either. Gruden was a hindrance to his development.

I could see the Browns being involved but Derek Anderson being moved instead.

Denver would maybe do something like this

2010 2nd rounder

for

Jay Cutler
                    (I'd want Scheffler thrown in)

and then

Denver third

for

Cleveland's Derek Anderson

They can now fill their holes with the 12th pick, our picks, and the rest of their draft. I imagine that McDaniels would find a pet project QB of his own in the draft.

Hell they could sign Byron Leftwhich or Jeff Garcia out of FA. Those guys are better bridge gaps then a lot of QBs under contract. W

Comment

Thats a steep price for a guy has proven nothing without Shanahan.

Comment

3 way trade

Denver-get a peppers
                        Lions or Tampa -get cutler
                        Panthers-get a first round pick from Lions or Tampa.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
                          We can make Denver the best offer out of anybody. We still have a ton of cap. Yes Denver has a lot of holes, but thats what all the draft picks would be for. Don't sleep on Chris Simms either. Gruden was a hindrance to his development.

I could see the Browns being involved but Derek Anderson being moved instead.
                          This doesn't make any sense at all. The reason Brady Quinn would be so attractive to McDaniels is the fact he spent years under Charlie Weiss, McDaniels mentor.

Denver would maybe do something like this

2010 2nd rounder
                          I don't think Detroit can afford to make this trade. Detroit needs three starters out of day one.

Jay Cutler
                          (I'd want Scheffler thrown in)

and then

Denver third

for

Cleveland's Derek Anderson
                          Mangini doesn't like Brady Quinn and they have already paid the most of Anderson's salary for this year. Cleveland wouldn't trade Anderson for a third round pick. =

Comment

I think the reason the Browns paid DA's contract was 1) obviously to compete for the starting job, but also 2) to make him more attractive in a trade scenario, so they can get something like a third rounder. But that being said, I could see either getting traded. The Broncos almost definitely won't take DA, but I think the Browns would be very open to a trade partner for him.

Just a side-note though, but the Packers intentionally spurned the Bucs last year and I think a decent amount of it had to do with the fact that they played each other this past year, and the Browns and Broncos do the same this year. So, I'm not so sure if I see them involved in a trade, either one-on-one or in a three-way scenario. But who knows. That's just a guess.
                            Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

This doesn't make any sense at all. The reason Brady Quinn would be so attractive to McDaniels is the fact he spent years under Charlie Weiss, McDaniels mentor.

I don't think Detroit can afford to make this trade. Detroit needs three starters out of day one.

Mangini doesn't like Brady Quinn and they have already paid the most of Anderson's salary for this year. Cleveland wouldn't trade Anderson for a third round pick. =
                              How do you know Mangini doesn't like Brady Quinn? Cleveland would be lucky to get anyone to offer a third for the garbage he was last year. DA goes before Quinn I can almost guarantee that. And if you are Cleveland why wouldn't you just hold onto Quinn and keep your picks? If the trade DA they are taking advantage of their QB surplus.

Cutler would be worth it. He makes up for deficiencies. If you can keep the #1 pick and get him thats an A draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
                                How do you know Mangini doesn't like Brady Quinn? Cleveland would be lucky to get anyone to offer a third for the garbage he was last year. DA goes before Quinn I can almost guarantee that. And if you are Cleveland why wouldn't you just hold onto Quinn and keep your picks? If the trade DA they are taking advantage of their QB surplus.
                                This entire scenario is just so completely illogical.

Quinn is a more attractive candidate to DENVER because Quinn is familiar with Charlie Weiss/Josh McDaniels prospect. He is probably the most attractive QB for Denver outside of Kansas City and New England.

Cutler would be worth it. He makes up for deficiencies. If you can keep the #1 pick and get him thats an A draft.
                                I agree, but there is no chances they can make an offer worth Denver's while.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information