Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Lions trade involving Seattle might be in works.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by gameplaya2435 View Post
    Decent trade for the Lions I guess, but a bit of a let down with the topic title...I thought it involved a trade down from #1 Overall
    yeah haha sorry about the title, one of the posters at pft.com mentioned how cutler could have been involved but clearly that was all rumor.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by ESimsfan87 View Post
      yeah haha sorry about the title, one of the posters at pft.com mentioned how cutler could have been involved but clearly that was all rumor.
      well, Peterson played olb in a 3-4 w/ San Fran, so I guess I can see where a dream starts since Denver is switching to a 3-4 and needs 3-4 OLBs, but I highly doubt it.

      Comment


      • #18
        This was not a smart deal for the Lions...

        They could have just waited for the Seahawks to release Peterson and got him for free and at a much more reasonable contract. They addressed one need but created another.

        Typical Lions.

        Moves like this actually make me think they won't take Stafford #1.
        Scott Wright, President
        Draft Countdown.com
        www.draftcountdown.com

        Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

        Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
        www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

        Comment


        • #19
          they can now fill the stadium with diehard spartan fans to make sure ford gets more money.
          SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
          Fire Caldwell!!!

          Prowler's Newb Guide

          Comment


          • #20
            since i completely messed it up, here's an updated look at the lions draft picks now courtesy of kevin seifert at ESPN.

            Round 1: 1
            Round 1: 20 (from Dallas)
            Round 2: 1
            Round 3: 1
            Round 3: 18 (from Dallas)
            Round 4: None (sent to Dallas)
            Round 5: None (sent to Seattle)
            Round 6: 1
            Round 6: 19 (from Dallas)
            Round 7: None (sent to Dallas)

            we'll probably also get 2 7th round compensation picks.
            SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
            Fire Caldwell!!!

            Prowler's Newb Guide

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
              This was not a smart deal for the Lions...

              They could have just waited for the Seahawks to release Peterson and got him for free and at a much more reasonable contract. They addressed one need but created another.

              Typical Lions.

              Moves like this actually make me think they won't take Stafford #1.
              Doubt we'd have been able to sign him, and in a bidding war with contracts these days, it wouldn't be a more reasonable contract. No reason Seattle wouldn't have found another trading partner willing to give up less too. We had assets not valuable at all to us, but that were valuable to them. Redding and a 5th REALLY wasn't giving up much, I don't mourn the loss of either. The cap room is meaningless this year, we've got plenty without much to do with it. Redding isn't playing 3-tech in a Tampa-2 anymore, and is way undersized, we needed to be rid of him.

              This was a good move, and a great one if Peterson can bring some credible leadership to the locker room, having played in a Super Bowl, and in Hawaii 5 times.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                This was not a smart deal for the Lions...

                They could have just waited for the Seahawks to release Peterson and got him for free and at a much more reasonable contract. They addressed one need but created another.

                Typical Lions.

                Moves like this actually make me think they won't take Stafford #1.
                I'm with Whitebull on this one...

                Say Petersen gets released... every other team has a shot at him, and typically the Lions are NOT at the top of anyone's list. Redding also had a big contract and wasn't living up to it. It would have been nice to do a 1-for-1 swap so i dont like giving up a 5th, but it got the deal done. In the end i like Petersen > Redding.

                And i don't see how this means that the Lions 'wont' take Stafford #1. Petersen plays Curry's position. the lions were looking at Stafford, Curry, J. Smith. To me this says they are likly filling Curry position, removing a need, and now focusing on either Stafford or Smith.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                  This was not a smart deal for the Lions...

                  They could have just waited for the Seahawks to release Peterson and got him for free and at a much more reasonable contract. They addressed one need but created another.

                  Typical Lions.

                  Moves like this actually make me think they won't take Stafford #1.
                  Ha yeah right. We've tried to sign big name free agents and they won't even look our way. Its a good trade because we got rid of a huge contract on an overrated player who did NOTHING for us last year. Peterson is a pro bowl LB and will really help out Sims. It was a very good trade.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Redding wasn't going to restructure for us. Peterson makes a bit more money but he is also a much better player. Also, he's going to be cheaper to cut two or three years down the road than Redding if necessary. I also don't see why Peterson would sign with us as a free agent, unless we overpaid.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by tblain1 View Post
                      I'm with Whitebull on this one...

                      Say Petersen gets released... every other team has a shot at him, and typically the Lions are NOT at the top of anyone's list. Redding also had a big contract and wasn't living up to it. It would have been nice to do a 1-for-1 swap so i dont like giving up a 5th, but it got the deal done. In the end i like Petersen > Redding.

                      And i don't see how this means that the Lions 'wont' take Stafford #1. Petersen plays Curry's position. the lions were looking at Stafford, Curry, J. Smith. To me this says they are likly filling Curry position, removing a need, and now focusing on either Stafford or Smith.
                      I agree with Scott more so on this point, but it really all boils down to if we could have gotten a decent draft choice in return for Redding. Like I said in an earlier post, if we could have gotten a 3rd or 2nd for Redding and then tried to sign Peterson or Crowell as a FA I would have viewed this as a better option.

                      The thing that I disagree with Scott about is Peterson's cost being cheaper, yes it is likely that his base salary would have been lower than $6 mill/yr. but then we would have given him a signing bonus up front, which could have made him an expensive aqcuisition if Peterson ended up not playing for the life of his contract, where as under his current contact we're paying him a hefty sum, but if his production drops and we want to cut him we wont take any cap hit for doing so, so IMO thats a benifit.
                      Last edited by woodnick; 03-15-2009, 10:33 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        3rd round pick+crowell > julian and giving up a 5th but not that badly(hopefully, its up to peterson now)
                        SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
                        Fire Caldwell!!!

                        Prowler's Newb Guide

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by P-L View Post
                          Redding wasn't going to restructure for us. Peterson makes a bit more money but he is also a much better player. Also, he's going to be cheaper to cut two or three years down the road than Redding if necessary. I also don't see why Peterson would sign with us as a free agent, unless we overpaid.
                          Yeah. Better player for the money.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X

                          Debug Information