I laugh at everyone still holding out for Curry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I laugh at everyone still holding out for Curry

Frankly I'm really happy we got Peterson and took Curry out of the running at #1. Sure he's a good prospect but face it, it would have been the wrong move to commit #1 pick resources to a strong-side linebacker, or if as an MLB, to a player you intend to convert to a position he didn't play.

Not to mention that in this weak draft, I think Curry was being really overvalued as a possible #1 pick. I don't see anything about him that LB prospects like AJ Hawk or Patrick Willis didn't have. He's a solid top-10 selection but at #1 you have to go for a franchise-changing superstar and I don't see that in Curry at all.

So face it folks, it's not happening. We're not drafting Curry to take over for Sims, or to play MLB, or to back up Peterson and learn. Even if we went to a 3-4, Avril would most likely convert to a rush OLB and play across from Peterson. The pick now is Smith, or Stafford, or trade down. Live with it.
    Last edited by Calvin & Kevin; 03-14-2009, 06:30 PM.

We had the worst DEFENSE last year! I WANT THE QUICK FIX! CURRY #1! NO STAFFORD!

/mlive

Comment

50% Stafford, 40% Smith 10% Curry are what our odds are right now I'm guessing. There is still a ton of time until the draft to sort out who they think they will take. With taking Curry, he can easily play MLB and be dominant, but if u take him at #1 he will be the highest paid MLB in the league. You have to ask yourself if that's worth it and if you think he would be the best linebacker in the league.

Also IMO I think Monroe will be better than Smith. Smith is just the hot prospect right now, but if they both had to play in a game today, Monroe would easily be the better player. People like Smith because he has the POTENTIAL to be the best tackle and better than Monroe, even tho right now he's not. Which is funny because that is the same reason so many people are scared to draft Stafford, the potential he has over his actual ability right now.

Comment

Reasons why we won't take Curry #1:

-We have Julian Peterson
        -Too high to take a Linebacker
        -Schwartz doesn't put a high priority on the MLB position
        -We'd be drafting a guy to change his position
        -We need a Franchise QB
        -We need a Franchise LT

and so on.. I never thought we should, or expected us to, take Curry #1. It was just a foolish idea. If they for some reason decided against Stafford, the pick would have to be a LT.

Comment

Who is better at their position: Culpepper or Bachus?

Comment

Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
            Reasons why we won't take Curry #1:

-We have Julian Peterson
            -Too high to take a Linebacker
            -Schwartz doesn't put a high priority on the MLB position
            -We'd be drafting a guy to change his position
            -We need a Franchise QB
            -We need a Franchise LT

and so on.. I never thought we should, or expected us to, take Curry #1. It was just a foolish idea. If they for some reason decided against Stafford, the pick would have to be a LT.
            I agree. Everyone knows Curry will be a STUD, but you just don't take LB's #1 overall. The money aspect just doesn't make sense, which sucks but it's the truth. It's down to Franchise QB and franchise LT. If the staff isn't sold on Stafford then they'll go for Smith or Monroe.

Comment

numbers for you which i got off of mlive. Im just too lazy to go and post the link.

Highest paid LB in the NFL (in terms of guarenteed money): Bart scott with 22 millions guarenteed.

If we drafted Curry we would be paying him about 30 mil guarenteed. I couldnt live with giving a rookie a bigger contract than any other LB in the NFL.

Plus we have so many holes and we now have 2 pro-bowl caliber LBs. Lets address some other area's of the team since our LBs won't be any good if we dont get some guys on the Dline.

Comment

Originally posted by lionsfan81 View Post
                I agree. Everyone knows Curry will be a STUD, but you just don't take LB's #1 overall. The money aspect just doesn't make sense, which sucks but it's the truth. It's down to Franchise QB and franchise LT. If the staff isn't sold on Stafford then they'll go for Smith or Monroe.
                I still don't agree with this thinking. You take whoever you project to be the best player and who can help you out the most long term. Right now with petersen on board, i'm thinking Stafford. I'm not doing cartwheels like some people, but i'm feeling better about our defense at least.

But if the trade didn't happen, i'd still be good with taking Curry. I can't believe all the people here that have a wedgie over the idea of taking Curry #1. Parcells proved last year that you can draft another position #1 overall and negotiate a lower contract so get over the money issue. Most experts even your beloved Mel Kiper calls him the best player in the draft and the safest pick. And chances are he will go two spots later to #3. wow, what a reach he would be at #1....

Comment

Originally posted by detroit4life View Post
                  numbers for you which i got off of mlive. Im just too lazy to go and post the link.

Highest paid LB in the NFL (in terms of guarenteed money): Bart scott with 22 millions guarenteed.

If we drafted Curry we would be paying him about 30 mil guarenteed. I couldnt live with giving a rookie a bigger contract than any other LB in the NFL.

Plus we have so many holes and we now have 2 pro-bowl caliber LBs. Lets address some other area's of the team since our LBs won't be any good if we dont get some guys on the Dline.
                  So let me ask this... what will we pay stafford and how will he rank with QBs being paid in the NFL?

The whole payment structure for the #1 overall is just insane to begin with. i hope they restructure that soon. No matter what position you pick #1 overall, he is probably going to be the highest or at least top 3.

I agree. LB looks good with Petersen. #1 pick for Stafford... I switch allegences.

Comment

Parcells took a Left Tackle #1, not a Linebacker. The only positions that should go #1 are QB, LT, DE, DT, and sometimes WR.

I'm not against taking Curry #1 because it's a reach.. I'm against it because we have much bigger needs, we have no Franchise QB and no Franchise LT.. We'd bypass that to take a Linebacker? No matter how good he is, he's not going to have as much of an impact as a potentially great QB or LT.
                    Last edited by WMD; 03-14-2009, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Stafford is a lock at #1 unless we do something with Cutler. I really do not want Cutler. Maybe Stafford #1, Jerry #20.

Comment

So if you go Stafford, then Jerry, do you take best LT available at 33 like Beatty? Or do you hold off until next year in the 1st when you can get a better prospect? It might be better to look at someone like Oher at 20 because there may be more DT depth available at the top of the 2nd round.

Just curious who would be protecting Stafford's blind side in that scenario.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

The LT job is still Jeff Backus'.. We need a LG. Though the way Mayhew is going, we'll probably trade Jeff Backus for a DT or something.

Comment

Originally posted by StorminNorman View Post
                            Who is better at their position: Culpepper or Bachus?
                            Who cares, you take the guy who you think is going to have the largest impact.

So if you go Stafford, then Jerry, do you take best LT available at 33 like Beatty? Or do you hold off until next year in the 1st when you can get a better prospect? It might be better to look at someone like Oher at 20 because there may be more DT depth available at the top of the 2nd round.

Just curious who would be protecting Stafford's blind side in that scenario.
                            I'd do that, you don't get the chance to add an elite passer, and pass protector that often. Jerry isn't that young either, and will not be the impact player that someone like Smith or Oher could be.

Guys need to stop worrying about trying to plug needs on an 0-16 team, and just get the biggest impact players available at any position that isn't Calvin Johnson.

There will be other guys like Jerry every draft, you will have a shot at a top 5 type OT prospect at 20, either of these guys could be at the top of draft boards in a draft with less OT talent.
                            Originally posted by SNIPER26
                            fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
                              The LT job is still Jeff Backus'.. We need a LG. Though the way Mayhew is going, we'll probably trade Jeff Backus for a DT or something.
                              Works for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information