No announcement yet.

Should we trade Ernie?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't Schwartz still run a version of the Cover 2? If that's the case I think he still fits fine in the Lion's D at WLB.

Comment

Originally posted by Bills2083 View Post

I read that he does better with a big body in front of him. Is it because that linemen (Rogers) ate up most of the offensive linemen, allowing for Sims to make plays on the ball?

Yes thats when Ernie was at his best, thats really true for a lot of LBs. Their true value and skill is shown when DTs give them space to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
        Yes thats when Ernie was at his best, thats really true for a lot of LBs. Their true value and skill is shown when DTs give them space to work.

That works well with the Bills because we have Stroud up front.

Originally Posted by scottyboy
        my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
        But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by Bills2083 View Post
          -We don't have anyone in the LB corp that makes big hits. It would be nice to see, finally, even though if he overpursues a little too often.

-Our LBs rarely make interceptions as it is. We blitz Mitchell the most, so he gets most of the sacks.

-Good to see.

I read that he does better with a big body in front of him. Is it because that linemen (Rogers) ate up most of the offensive linemen, allowing for Sims to make plays on the ball?
          Yup. Sims needs someone to eat up blockers so he can use his speed to roam. Sometimes his speed hurts him though and he runs himself out of a tackle by either overpursuing or just putting himself into a bad position to make a solid tackle.

I honestly wouldn't trade Sims for anything less than a 2nd and additional picks. I don't see the value in it. We have some big, fat DT's to hopefully take some pressure off of him in the run game this year. He is still young and even though (i havent actually heard this so Im assuming you people know what youre talking about) Schwartz prefers bigger guys I think he could still prosper greatly in a defense where he isnt the only guy with talent.

Comment

Originally posted by The Peefs View Post
            I think he could still prosper greatly in a defense where he isnt the only guy with talent.
            I agree with this. Sims is a great complimentary LB to a defense, but he isn't the leader or big playmaker.

Comment

Protect HIM

Protect him with some D-Tackles and he becomes a stud once again. I think Schwartz will like his attitude.

Comment

If Detroit seriosuly wanted to trade Ernie Sims (and I doubt they do) the Giants are probably the best fit.

The Giants want more speed and athletism at OLB; they have a damn good DLine for him to play behind and their LBs tend to play down hill which is a good fit for Sims. More importantly they have a truck load of draft picks and very few team needs.

If Detroit are willing to trade Sims and if they want a 2nd round pick, the Giants will more than likely be very willing to trade #60 for Sims and perhaps #45. Alternatively they also have plenty of good players they could include as part of a deal at positions of need for the Lions.

Buffalo have alot of holes to fill and probably wouldn't offer as much for a OLB; defensively pass rushers are a much more urgent need.

Derrick Johnson could also be a similar trade option for teams with Kansas City shifting to a 3-4; particularly as he is off contract after 2009.

Alot has been made of Jim Schwartz, but don't forget the Lions brought in Gunther Cunninham who used more mobile LBs like Donnie Edwards and Derrick Johnson at KC.
                Last edited by Big_Pete; 03-15-2009, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Linebackers usually play much better with a decent D-Line

Comment

hell no. Ernie is our best player on defense. Hes small yes but he still makes great plays and can tackle.

Comment

I don't want to see Ernie get traded either. He's someone you can build the defence around and is still young enough to do that. Personally, I can't wait to see him and Peterson play together.
                      [

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

I just wonder what type of compensation we could get in return. In general I would say no, even though he struggled last yr having a competent DLine, LB, and probably more importantly DC to work with should not only bring Sims back to his old but jump back on his developmental path.

With that said, it would be intruiging if we got an offer of a top 50 pick or like was mentioned above a move up from #20 to #11, but that would probably have to wait until draft day to see if there is a guy that we want there.

Comment

For the people saying that Sims is too small for our D, I understand that Schwartz has said they want to get bigger, but look at the starting LBs that Tennessee played with last yr:

Thornton - 6'2" & 225
                          Keith Bulluck - 6'3" & 235
                          Stephen Tulloch - 5'11" & 235

Now Sims is 6'0" & 225 so he is right inline with Thornton and not too far off from the other 2. Granted they had Fat Albert playing in front of them, if we can get another big body, like Sammie Lee Hill on the 2nd day, then we should be able to offer protection for Sims to flow more freely.

Comment

i'm willing to shop him around. if we get multiple 2nds or a pro bowler in return then it'd be an option.
                            SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
                            Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information