Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Probably can start pre-ordering those Stafford jerseys.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
    Or they saw the Kowalski article that said "The Lions will select a LT at #1" or something along those lines.
    Yeah, what really grinds my gears is that the way they write it, it only comes across as a blatant rumor.

Really, KFFL? Care to shed the source. Or is it you just getting info from Stafford hater number one in Kowalski?

I wouldn't put much faith in it.

Someone mentioned that the site is so low budget that there's no way they'd be able to afford a real NFL insider with connections, so my guess is that maybe there was a little bit of contact but 90 percent says they have just been reading Kowalski's propoganda/mlive forums.

Comment

I'm going to write a letter to Tom Lewand and Martin Mayhew. I will inform them that if they select Matt Stafford I will buy my first NFL jersey since I was 6 years old. However, I will not buy a Jason Smith jersey.

Comment

If we're going to stick to the "run the football" mentality and pass on Stafford, why not just trade Calvin Johnson while we're at it?

Also, I don't think we need an OT this year unless we decide to dump off Backus. We'd be better off picking a LG this year, and if we feel the need to, look at a LT in Round 2 next year.
        Thats a bit severe.

If we do go offensive line and build it up so that we can run the ball to setup the pass Calvin Johnson will have an easier time out there. As it is now NO team respects the run and Calvin gets double covered. If we pass on Stafford to draft and OT, it will help out Calvin immensely.

Comment

Originally posted by tblain1 View Post
          Thats a bit severe.

If we do go offensive line and build it up so that we can run the ball to setup the pass Calvin Johnson will have an easier time out there. As it is now NO team respects the run and Calvin gets double covered. If we pass on Stafford to draft and OT, it will help out Calvin immensely.
          Well when DanO doesn't even care to read a defense, take three steps and throw it as far as he can it is easy to double Calvin. Get a QB that understands coverages and it won't be as easy.

Comment

Originally posted by tblain1 View Post
            Thats a bit severe.

I don't see how it's a bit severe.. if we're willing to pass on a Franchise Quarterback because we want to be able to run the ball, what good is a Receiver to us?

Comment

Jason Smith? Srsly?

*walks away to bang head against wall*

*in the distance my screams of pain can be heard just over my mantra 'it's a ******* shoe-in and they still manage to screw it up', which I sing to the drum of my blood-drenched skull beating into my wall*

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
              don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

I see this is a pretty PRO Stafford post ... don't hate on a former lineman for liking the HOGS!
                Stafford is a talent but isn't there a "franchise QB" in every years draft in the top 10 picks? We will be picking there again next year where the QB class will be solid ... I say wait.
                I just want the organization to do what they say their plan has been from the start which is run the ball and stuff it on D. I want to buy in. I want to see improvement not lip service.
                Stick to that pattern in the draft; build in the trenches a foundation with big, physical, mean guys with several of the top 5 picks. Feel free to dress it up next year with the sexy decor, maybe a TE this year or something in a later round. This team is not anywhere near an Atlanta or Baltimore or Miami from 08 who was a Jake Long or a rookie QB away from play-off football in 2009. You're watching a different team than I am if that is what you think of these Lions! Make this a 2-3 year plan to build it to run the ball and stuff the run on D (almost like an expansion team?!) And let Mayhem & Schwartz continue to do their thing.
                We need youthful impact players up front, playing from day 1. Eugene Monroe then Peria Jerry/Ziggy Hood in the first round. Not sexy, just productive.

Out -

Comment

I want Stafford, expecting that we won't win any time soon. Just selecting him won't solve our problems, but it's the biggest step. We still need to use the next two years to build around him. The important part is that we have our QB on our team as soon as possible.

Don't get me wrong. I want to upgrade at LT, but right now, with this team, a new regime, the #1 overall pick, and Daunte Culpepper/Drew Stanton/Drew Henson at QB, we have to use the pick on Stafford.

Comment

Originally posted by SINCE1978 View Post
                    I see this is a pretty PRO Stafford post ... don't hate on a former lineman for liking the HOGS!
                    Stafford is a talent but isn't there a "franchise QB" in every years draft in the top 10 picks? We will be picking there again next year where the QB class will be solid ... I say wait.
                    I just want the organization to do what they say their plan has been from the start which is run the ball and stuff it on D. I want to buy in. I want to see improvement not lip service.
                    Stick to that pattern in the draft; build in the trenches a foundation with big, physical, mean guys with several of the top 5 picks. Feel free to dress it up next year with the sexy decor, maybe a TE this year or something in a later round. This team is not anywhere near an Atlanta or Baltimore or Miami from 08 who was a Jake Long or a rookie QB away from play-off football in 2009. You're watching a different team than I am if that is what you think of these Lions! Make this a 2-3 year plan to build it to run the ball and stuff the run on D (almost like an expansion team?!) And let Mayhem & Schwartz continue to do their thing.
                    We need youthful impact players up front, playing from day 1. Eugene Monroe then Peria Jerry/Ziggy Hood in the first round. Not sexy, just productive.

Out -
                    I understand what you're saying, however every draft for one franchise qb there's always two elite offensive tackles. No one is expecting us to be good for awhile. I'm not even expecting Stafford to play this year. The problem I have is that everyone seems to think you can just plug in a QB and ride him to a super bowl. With how difficult it is to find QB's, when you have an opportunity to take a QB with an elite arm, intangibles, intelligence, and awareness to dissect a defense you have to take him. While these intangibles reflect how many felt about Ryan no one was ever calling JaMarcus Russell intelligent.

Eugene Monroe and Jason Smith aren't really are that appealing to me. I realize we are in a rebuilding effort for a good two years minimum. I would take Stafford, your d-line man, and then get the best interior lineman available with the first pick of the second round. Everyone making the case for the tackles fail to realize that this is a fantastic year for interior offensive lineman talent and Backus has never had even a mediocre left guard next to him.

This year you can get your QB and get an interior offensive lineman and then come back next year and get the bookend tackle to replace Backus.

Comment

we have to look at it from a 2-3 year rebuilding. Thats why it has to be stafford he's going to need a year anyway so we take him let him ride bench and next year we get our LT if Backus doesnt step up. Who knows if we get a good OG next to backus he may be good.

I say we do this:

1a. Stafford

1b. Jerry or Mauluga

2. Britton (play him at OG and this gives us options for next year between Backus or him, if both fail to look like our LT then we draft one)

Then defense all they way down

Comment

Next years QB's will be solid compared to what? The Alex Smith QB class?

Matt Stafford is grading out very high for every scout, like one of the top QB prospects of this decade.

I'd say more top flight linemen come out every year than QB's, over the last few years, we've had Robert Gallery, Joe Thomas, D'Brick, Long, Clady... all of which would be the highest ranked tackle prospect, or at least right up there with this class.

quarterbacks? Carson Palmer is the only CLEARLY better prospect than Stafford since 2003, a few guys are arguable...

Still, the Lions line isn't going to be Houston Texan bad, and you'll have a solid back and a dominant receiver to throw too, and im sure they'll patch the line some.

Honestly the gap between Stafford and Sanchez is much much much much much bigger than the gap between the top 4 tackles.

You'd be passing on a top notch QB prospect with all of the tools for next years class where there are a bunch of flawed system QB's.
                        Originally posted by SNIPER26
                        fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Originally posted by SINCE1978 View Post
                          I am still holding out a little hope for a LT ... it's a tiny bit of hope, but it's still alive ;o)

It will be interesting to see if management sticks to their plan they announced at Schwartz's presser ... "run the football and stop the run". Stafford does not fit into that mantra really? Go Monroe @ #1 move Bacus to guard, get a DT @ pick #20 (Jerry/Hood), MLB @ pick #33 (Laurinitus) and TE @ #65 (Coffman/Casey/Nelson) and we are sticking to our plan and improving up front!
                          an keep Culpepper as your QB?..

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

I think aside from BJ Raji, the DT that I want the most is Ziggy Hood.. If we can pick him up at #33 while adding Maualuga or a CB at #20, I think we would have had an awesome awesome day one.

Comment

I think aside from BJ Raji, the DT that I want the most is Ziggy Hood.. If we can pick him up at #33 while adding Maualuga or a CB at #20, I think we would have had an awesome awesome day one.
                              i agree that would be a very good pick i do like the idea of taking a OT at 33 as well tho and letting him and backus fight it out for who plays LT and OG

Comment

Originally posted by detroit4life View Post
                                we have to look at it from a 2-3 year rebuilding. Thats why it has to be stafford he's going to need a year anyway so we take him let him ride bench and next year we get our LT if Backus doesnt step up. Who knows if we get a good OG next to backus he may be good.

I say we do this:

1a. Stafford

1b. Jerry or Mauluga

2. Britton (play him at OG and this gives us options for next year between Backus or him, if both fail to look like our LT then we draft one)

Then defense all they way down
                                I'm very anti Mauluga. As I've said before, he has a real problem with over pursuit. With Sims already overruning everything and looking lost half the time last year, I'm not in favor of having another overpursuing player at the LB spot.

Britton is really looking more and more like a RT. I really haven't seen too many people actually projecting him at LT at this point. With Cherilus already in the fold, I'd be shocked (and dismayed) to see us select Britton.

Originally posted by Jakey
                                WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information