Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Probably can start pre-ordering those Stafford jerseys.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably can start pre-ordering those Stafford jerseys.

With the good results at his Pro day, a wonderlic score higher than Matt Ryan's and Cutler talk today, I really feel that even though the Lions aren't identifying who they're in contract negotiations with, it has to be Stafford.

Word comes today that the Broncos are going to once again try to mend the fence with Cutler, McDaniels mentions earlier in the week that they want a QB in return, and the Lions only having picks to give up, really only makes it easier to connect the dots.

So what do you guys think that we're going to try to get this thing signed and possibly have him for otas and training camp?

If it is Stafford, then why didnt we wait until after his personal workout? No matter who it is I just want them signed and in camp on time and it would be great if we can sign him ahead of time

Comment

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation...-contract.html

multiple prospects

Comment

Yeah, I guess that is interesting, but the reason for Lewand to say that is just to make sure by any means that some team doesn't try to give up the farm for a player.

The Chiefs for example, if they have their eyes set on Curry and see the Lions entering negotiations with "multiple players" are going to believe that Curry may be one of those and try to float an offer our way.

It's go to be an 80% shot that it's Stafford though. If you try to connect the dots it makes much more sense than any of the other approaches. I also don't get why the Lions never hosted Eugene Monroe? Just found that a little strange.

Comment

I am still holding out a little hope for a LT ... it's a tiny bit of hope, but it's still alive ;o)

It will be interesting to see if management sticks to their plan they announced at Schwartz's presser ... "run the football and stop the run". Stafford does not fit into that mantra really? Go Monroe @ #1 move Bacus to guard, get a DT @ pick #20 (Jerry/Hood), MLB @ pick #33 (Laurinitus) and TE @ #65 (Coffman/Casey/Nelson) and we are sticking to our plan and improving up front!

Comment

If we're going to stick to the "run the football" mentality and pass on Stafford, why not just trade Calvin Johnson while we're at it?

Also, I don't think we need an OT this year unless we decide to dump off Backus. We'd be better off picking a LG this year, and if we feel the need to, look at a LT in Round 2 next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
              If we're going to stick to the "run the football" mentality and pass on Stafford, why not just trade Calvin Johnson while we're at it?

Also, I don't think we need an OT this year unless we decide to dump off Backus. We'd be better off picking a LG this year, and if we feel the need to, look at a LT in Round 2 next year.
              Yeah exactly, what a lot of these people who are so against Stafford and a QB for that matter fail to realize that although CJ is our best player, you can't have crap throwing to him his entire career and expect for him to be happy/good.

Additionally, by getting a QB defenses have to prepare for you are allowing more opportunities for Kevin Smith to be able to have running lanes. There's just so much more of a falloff in my opinion from Stafford to Sanchez than there is from Monroe/Smith to guys like Britton/Beatty or a guard that can come along later.

Ex. If Stafford is the best QB to come around in the next three years and you go with Jason Smith. You're going to be pigeonholed into getting maybe the second or third best overall tackle to come out in a span of three years and a second rate QB of a span of three years if you try to address in another draft.

Comment

KFFL says its Jason Smith? I'm guessing someone talked to Smith's agent and they learned that he was negotiating with the Lions. I bet we all negotiating with 3-4 guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
                  KFFL says its Jason Smith? I'm guessing someone talked to Smith's agent and they learned that he was negotiating with the Lions. I bet we all negotiating with 3-4 guys.
                  I hope that's not true.. It'd be a big mistake to pass on Stafford this year..

Comment

Lions | To take J. Smith with first pick?
                    Sun, 22 Mar 2009 18:38:30 -0700
                    KFFL has learned the Detroit Lions will take Baylor OT Jason Smith with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.

I assume they got this news from Tom Kowalski?

Comment

Originally posted by SINCE1978 View Post
                      I am still holding out a little hope for a LT ... it's a tiny bit of hope, but it's still alive ;o)

It will be interesting to see if management sticks to their plan they announced at Schwartz's presser ... "run the football and stop the run". Stafford does not fit into that mantra really?
                      Every team needs a QB.

Comment

I'll be happy either way.

Comment

Stafford fans (me included), this could be a signal that the wheels are turning on the Cutler trade, we don't like Stafford, we like Sanchez or Freeman, Mayhew trusts Culpepper way to much, or its just not even true.

Comment

My guess is someone at KFFL didn't realize that the Lions talking to Smith doesn't necessarily mean they are going to select him.
                            Last edited by shady00; 03-23-2009, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shady00 View Post
                              My guess is someone at KFFL didn't realize that the Lions talking to Smith doesn't necessarily mean they are going to select him.
                              Or they saw the Kowalski article that said "The Lions will select a LT at #1" or something along those lines.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information