Stafford wows at private workout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
    It hasn't impressed the people who do the draft on NFL Network, they look at his film and find problems in his game when he is in game situations. They are not calling him a top 5 QB prospect and if that doesn't scare you, then you've got rose coloured glasses on.
    What makes the guys at NFL Network automatically right? I can have opinions different than someone on television and not be biased. There are flaws in everyone's game, and I happen to think Stafford's are correctable.

Comment

Originally posted by StorminNorman View Post
      The Detroit Lions brain trust headed south today to hold a private on-campus workout with Georgia Bulldogs quarterback Matt Stafford. The results were encouraging for Stafford and the Lions, who own the first pick in April's draft.
      Two things not often associated with the Lions: Brain and Trust.
      Although if you are a GM you can probably trust the Lions not to fire you after 7 crappy seasons.

But seriously, I'm happy to hear Stafford is getting high marks. I've stated my skepticism before but I understand how exciting it would be to actually get a solid QB in Detroit. I'm all for it, but still cautious. I'll believe it when I see it on the field. I still like the Lions taking a safer pick, but I feel much better about them taking Stafford.

Comment

I'm not a Stafford hater but I am with "Iamcanadian" in this post. Against air, with is college receivers, at his home field, in shorts & a t-shirt any QB could throw a high percentage of completions and look "flawless". He disappeared in too many big games for me to take #1 overall and guarantee him 30+ million ... at least not for Detroit, a team with soooo many holes to fill they need #1 overall to play right away and Stafford would not be that guy. That's my opinion and I know it is the minority in this post ;o)

Comment

It is good to see that he was accurate. Ball placement is very important in the NFL. While I do agree that it was not under a pressure situation, thus making the feat a lot less impressive, the fact that he could easily make all the NFL throws required is always a plus.

I don't understand why people hold this whole 'choke in big games' thing against him. There are not too many collegiate (or NFL) QBs who will always deliver in big game situations. Matt Ryan did well in some big games, but also flopped in some [ACC Rivalry game against (unranked?) FSU]. The fact that Stafford wasn't a complete dud in the big games (in fact, he was pretty good in some of them), isn't something I would hold against him. He is 20 years old and has been starting in the SEC since his freshmen year; he isn't going to deliver all the time.

I do think he has the poise and toughness to continue to get better in the NFL in those regards. The more quickly the Lions cansee this and sign him, the better off he and the franchise will be in my opinion.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Yeah, the big games thing is ridiculous. First of all, I don't care what he did as a freshman. That was more than two years ago and he has shown considerable improvement since. So if he disappeared in a big game then, I don't care. What big game has he disappeared in since 2007? The Florida game this past year, when EVERYONE on the Georgia team disappeared. Ok, but what other game?

This past season he went on the road against Arizona State and was fantastic, he played well against Alabama despite his defense giving up 41 points, great against LSU, phenomenal against Georgia Tech, and dominated the second half against Michigan State.

In 2007 he was fantastic against Florida and played well against Hawaii until the lead got too big and they ran the ball for the rest of the game.

Kid is 3-0 in bowl games and 11-3 against the SEC over the last two years. What more do you want from him? He's not perfect, but disappearing in big games is not one of his flaws.

Comment

completely agree, besides hasn't peyton manning disproved the whole choking in college thing?(he's forgiven for not beating the patriots early in his career because nobody else could)
              SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
              Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...tString=0-9-44

So this article is chalked full of stats for you detailed draftniks out there who are drooling over Stafford. Listen, first round QB's who come out early miss waaaay more than they hit. Akili Smith & Jim Drunkenmiller is not good company to be sandwiched between for Stafford. I'm not trying to be a downer b/c with Cutler gone he is looking like our guy ... I would love to eat crow in 1 year but I'm just presenting the facts with this article and it's research on first round QB's.

Comment

Shouldnt every 1st round QB prospect be able to throw accurately to non covered WR with no line or rush in front of them?

Somehow I think Mark Sanchez can also jog around in shorts and deliver well placed balls to Patrick Turner with no one else in the vicinity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Peefs View Post
                    Shouldnt every 1st round QB prospect be able to throw accurately to non covered WR with no line or rush in front of them?

Somehow I think Mark Sanchez can also jog around in shorts and deliver well placed balls to Patrick Turner with no one else in the vicinity.
                    its more about where they put the ball and how hard they are throwing it.

Comment

Originally posted by SINCE1978 View Post

So this article is chalked full of stats for you detailed draftniks out there who are drooling over Stafford. Listen, first round QB's who come out early miss waaaay more than they hit. Akili Smith & Jim Drunkenmiller is not good company to be sandwiched between for Stafford. I'm not trying to be a downer b/c with Cutler gone he is looking like our guy ... I would love to eat crow in 1 year but I'm just presenting the facts with this article and it's research on first round QB's.
                      Stafford isn't a junior in the normal sense.

He has more starting experience than Matt Ryan did coming out of BC and he entered UGA a semester early (giving him an extra off season).

Comment

Originally posted by detroit4life View Post
                        its more about where they put the ball and how hard they are throwing it.
                        Like I said, I think any 1st round QB prospect should be able to place a ball with no pads & no defenders around. QB's arm strengths have also been figured out before they get to the combine & workouts. Im doubting the Lions brass just found out that Stafford has a strong arm.

I just find QB workouts utterly useless. I don't think you learn anything at all from them. I don't much care about what a QB looks like jogging around their practice field in a t-shirt tossing passes to open WR. What new, useful, information are you going to find that watching actual game tape from a few months ago isn't going to tell you?

Comment

I don't know this guy (European, forgive me) but please tell me his name was actually "'Jim Miller" and that he was an alcoholic, making for an awesome nickname that people now use as his last name? Please?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                          don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by The Peefs View Post
                            Like I said, I think any 1st round QB prospect should be able to place a ball with no pads & no defenders around. QB's arm strengths have also been figured out before they get to the combine & workouts. Im doubting the Lions brass just found out that Stafford has a strong arm.

I just find QB workouts utterly useless. I don't think you learn anything at all from them. I don't much care about what a QB looks like jogging around their practice field in a t-shirt tossing passes to open WR. What new, useful, information are you going to find that watching actual game tape from a few months ago isn't going to tell you?
                            how about how they look in a t-shirt?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

Originally posted by StorminNorman View Post
                              Stafford isn't a junior in the normal sense.

He has more starting experience than Matt Ryan did coming out of BC and he entered UGA a semester early (giving him an extra off season).
                              Um dude ... that's a total stretch. Fact is he is an underclassman (whether by football eligibility or college credits) Any team (in particular one that is coming off 0-16) should not roll the dice on a Junior QB based on the past 10 years of facts in the NFL. If they go with Stafford he rides the pines behind Culpepper for at least part of this season which is unacceptable for #1 overall pick. I think they can snag 5 guys who can play/start from day 1 within the top 85 players and address QB next years draft or in FA.

Comment

Um dude ... that's a total stretch. Fact is he is an underclassman (whether by football eligibility or college credits) Any team (in particular one that is coming off 0-16) should not roll the dice on a Junior QB based on the past 10 years of facts in the NFL. If they go with Stafford he rides the pines behind Culpepper for at least part of this season which is unacceptable for #1 overall pick. I think they can snag 5 guys who can play/start from day 1 within the top 85 players and address QB next years draft or in FA.
                                great plan. Put it off. Make it next years problem. Don't draft a QB. We have done that for years and it worked gre--

yeah that's just silly.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information