Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos' owner says that they will attempt to trade Cutler

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4031893

So I know it's getting a little old by now, but the Broncos have officially put Cutler on the block and are negotiating his trade.

I'm not sure what it would take to get him if we decide to go that route, but I'd really like the Cutler to Calvin connection for years to come.

How would anyone think of a 1 for Cutler deal?

Comment

That would be a good way for the Broncos to stick to Cutler..... Send him to Detroit to get beaten to oblivion hahaha.

Comment

I'd trade for Cutler at the drop of a hat. Denver blew it when they hired a very young inexperienced HC who obviously doesn't have people powers needed to be successful. Cutler is a steal at this point. No learning curve, proven NFL starting QB, has the arm to be very successful, and throwing to Johnson would be a dream for Detroit fans. I see little risk and a huge reward for the team that gets Cutler.
        Drafting Stafford is OK if there aren't better options but he's ranked somewhere between 6 and 8 and that means he carries a huge bust factor with him. Why take the chance if you don't have to????
        This is one of the worst drafts I have seen in my 50 odd years of following the draft, maybe even the worst in NFL history, and anybody who thinks because we have 2 first rounders and a high second rounder guarantees 3 top starting prospects is whistling in the wind. Mayhew has a tough road to hoe in this draft where even the more experienced, successful GM's will struggle to find talent. It is quite possible that we draft 3 flops or at least huge disappointments come the end of the month. If Cutler is there for the grabbing, go get him and put all the worry to rest and we can dare to dream with a solid starting QB in place.
        People talk about Jason Smith or Aaron Curry like they are safer picks. This couldn't be farther from the truth. Smith is about a raw a top 5 pick as I have ever seen and carries an immense bust factor with him and probably at best will be a solid but unspectacular LT in the NFL. He has no experience as a run blocker and he is rated the 3rd best pass blocker in this year's draft, hardly a recipe for greatness. Curry's best position is as a SLB in a 4-3, the weakest position among LB's on a 4-3 team. SLB's help in run defense and generally cover the TE on passing plays not exactly a position that makes him an impact player and using the #1 overall pick on a SLB is ridiculous and I don't believe it has ever happened before. MLB's and WLB have been drafted high on occasion but never a SLB.

In this draft year, you'd have to be crazy not to trade it for a Cutler.
        And proud of it!!!

Comment

I just posted this in the other thread, but I too still want Cutler but as long as it only costs one of our 1st Round picks. I am really, really high on Stafford and I wouldn't want to trade a 1st and 2nd Round pick or a 1st and 3rd Round pick because of that. If Denver accepts the #20 straight up for him then do it. I might even do #1 and #20 for Cutler and #12, but I don't know. If they ask for more, then start negotiating with Stafford.

Comment

Originally posted by P-L View Post
            I just posted this in the other thread, but I too still want Cutler but as long as it only costs one of our 1st Round picks. I am really, really high on Stafford and I wouldn't want to trade a 1st and 2nd Round pick or a 1st and 3rd Round pick because of that. If Denver accepts the #20 straight up for him then do it. I might even do #1 and #20 for Cutler and #12, but I don't know. If they ask for more, then start negotiating with Stafford.
            I don't see anyway Denver takes just the #20 for him with all the teams that need QB's in the mid 1st round. If your the lions you have to try and trade for him. I think they will want atleast the 1st overall pick Or #20 and #33

Comment

Cutler if he is traded for picks alone will command a top 10 pick minimally. It will cost us about what the Giants paid for Eli. The #1 overall pick would only be the starting point. It might be enough but I doubt it.
              And proud of it!!!

Comment

I'd not give them much to go with the #1. OMFG, if they could nab him AND get to keep the number 1 for Jason Smith.... that's a nice start.

I wouldn't give up the #1 and 20 though.... I'd rather Stafford and top 20 pick than just Cutler.
                Originally posted by SNIPER26
                fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
                  I'd not give them much to go with the #1. OMFG, if they could nab him AND get to keep the number 1 for Jason Smith.... that's a nice start.

I wouldn't give up the #1 and 20 though.... I'd rather Stafford and top 20 pick than just Cutler.
                  And if Stafford flops what do you have then but another wasted draft. Stafford even if he succeeds will need 3 or 4 years to reach his potential and if he is a flop, it will be like Harrington all over where we won't be sure for the 1st 3 years, while a Cutler is there now and carries no risk for failure.
                  If Stafford flops we are looking at a minimum of 6 years before we will have a QB in place. Why take the risk if Cutler is being served up on a platter.
                  And proud of it!!!

Comment

we start at 20 and a 3rd and work from their. But we should try very hard to get him without giving up our 1st overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                      Cutler if he is traded for picks alone will command a top 10 pick minimally. It will cost us about what the Giants paid for Eli. The #1 overall pick would only be the starting point. It might be enough but I doubt it.

Will it take a top 10? Who is in the running? Jets, Bucs, Bears, Lions. 17, 18, 19, 20th overall picks (plus Lions #1). I guess another team in the top 10 could step but who:

* Seattle - Likely no; too many other positions to fill
                      * KC - They just got a franchise QB for less than a 1st
                      * St. Louis - they have bigger holes to fill with #2
                      * Cleveland - that would make 3 starting QBs and one football
                      * Cincy - Carson Palmer
                      * Oakland - JaMarcus Russell- You don't give up on a Top 5 QB this early unless his name is Tim Couch or Akili Smith or Joey Harrington or David Carr or Alex Smith or JaMarcus.. oops! Plus they are inter-divisional.
                      * Jacksonville - David Garrad - not an immediate need but possible.
                      * Green Bay - Aaron Rodgers - they have other holes to fill.

The only possibilities I see there are Jacksonville and possibly St. Louis but they are not as likely candidates to want to trade as the four teams who have been spoken of already.

if it takes a top 10 pick its not getting done. Thats just what the market bears right now.

The Giants overpaid like idiots for Eli. It paid off...yes but they gave up more than they should have considering Eli stated he didnt want to go to San Diego. I don't look at that trade as a precedent.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post

I really doubt the Broncos will trade Cutler to Lions if the #1 overall pick is not involved in the Deal. maybe if you give up your #20, second and third but IMO that is way to much for a team to give up that has as much rebuilding to do as Detroit does.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                          And if Stafford flops what do you have then but another wasted draft. Stafford even if he succeeds will need 3 or 4 years to reach his potential and if he is a flop, it will be like Harrington all over where we won't be sure for the 1st 3 years, while a Cutler is there now and carries no risk for failure.
                          If Stafford flops we are looking at a minimum of 6 years before we will have a QB in place. Why take the risk if Cutler is being served up on a platter.
                          Agreed. For everyone telling me "you can't base picking Stafford on other QB flops", I keep thinking "when you are the Lions and there is a known quantity on the table you can."

This organization should take as many sure things as they possibly can, because unlike other teams, a failed risk doesn't mean "Oh we just missed the playoffs this year." It means "our team is THE WORST TEAM EVER AGAIN THIS YEAR."

I'll take Cutler+Smith or even Curry over Stafford+BPA OT/BPA CB/Laurinitis.

Comment

to be honest i think they may not want the number 1 and the financial burden of it. But with #20 and a third they have plenty of ammo to move up to the top 8 and still probably have their choice of QB.

If we dont take a QB who would?
                            St. Louis? probably not with the release of Pace they will target either Monroe or Smith.

K.C.? no
                            Seattle? only realistic possibility but they still do have hasselbeck and it would be very expensive for them to take a QB at 4 and still hold on to him. I think they will try and take a QB late 1st or in later rounds and try to develop him.

Cleveland? no
                            Cincinnati? no
                            OAK? no
                            JAX: possibly

They could trade to 7 and easily have one if not both the QBs still on the board.

Comment

Originally posted by tblain1 View Post
                              Agreed. For everyone telling me "you can't base picking Stafford on other QB flops", I keep thinking "when you are the Lions and there is a known quantity on the table you can."

This organization should take as many sure things as they possibly can, because unlike other teams, a failed risk doesn't mean "Oh we just missed the playoffs this year." It means "our team is THE WORST TEAM EVER AGAIN THIS YEAR."

I'll take Cutler+Smith or even Curry over Stafford+BPA OT/BPA CB/Laurinitis.
                              Smith is not a sure thing either though. You can say its safe, but it may not be true.

One thing is a sure thing, we can get a very good QB prospect with the number 1 pick. Next year who knows, and who knows where we are picking. History dictates you can find a LT mid round 1 or later. QB not so much. Take the QB and end this 50 years of ****** QB play by 2010 hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information