Grade our draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoWnThEfiElD View Post
    I have a feeling Sims won't be around much longer though.
    You got a hit out on him?

Comment

Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
      Stafford is gonna play LG until he's ready to take over at QB.
      Looper is going to be a good LG.

Comment

I really liked the day 1 picks...

but I'm not sure on day 2. It seems like they could have got better talent with the 3rd rd picks but maybe they saw something in them.

I guess I'll go with b/b-

Comment

Not a fan of assigning a graded letter to drafts, but I will say we got some talent (at the top especially) that's for sure ... 3 players in fact that were nearly the #1 rated player at their position since high school in Stafford, Williams & Murtha. But too many flashy offensive positions that were not the big uglies up front to protect our investment!

Something about this draft just bothers me though ... and I think the Lions are still suspect at scouting talent in the middle rounds. I did not like the order in which they selected the positions either. For example, this was a deep draft for TE's and a Coffman,Casey,Cook pick-up in 3 or 4 would have been just as good for me. Really was hoping for a defensive STUD @ #20 ;o( Not enough addition to the D overall, we will struggle to stop teams again next year. Hill could be Haynesworth 2.0 ... jury is still out?
          A couple more observations, we passed on some impact palyers that were there for the taking in: (Duke Robinson/Kraig Urbik, Rey Maulaluga/Jasper Brinkley, Peria Jerry/Ziggy Hood) all guys I really liked and thought would fit. The Levy pick I don't get, he will have to add 15 pounds to play the middle if he is 228 lb ... we took 2 TE's and 2 OLB's without a natural Mike LB ... that was my biggest head scratcher. I really thought Maualuga was ours, still think Deandre Levy has big shoes to fill for being such a high pick and palying an unatural position in he middle.

It was fun. Let's do it again soon!

Comment

I could see Follett ending up as our starting MLB...dude isn't the biggest, but he makes plays...
            [

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by noondog View Post
              I could see Follett ending up as our starting MLB...dude isn't the biggest, but he makes plays...
              I agree, as a USC fan, I've seen this guy play a couple of times and he was one of the bears better players.

Comment

I don't know what to say about this draft. It seems that when you are an 0 and 16 team you need everything in the Lions case the don't need list is shorter than the needs list.

Don't Need list - RB, WR, OLB, DE CB. Anything not on that list is a need.

What I think they did was went with the highest ranked player that wasn't in one of those positions.

1. Matt Stafford - Grade B+ - I wanted: BJ Raji - I have a huge mancrush on BJ Raji and believe he will be a great NT. That said I believe that the Lions saw Stafford as the best player in this draft better than the tackles better than Raji. I think he is the best QB prospect in this year's draft, next years draft, and even last years draft. It is up to the coaches to take this potential and bring it out.

20. Brandon Pettigrew - Grade C+ I wanted Michael Oher - It is only a C+ because Michael Oher was on the board. I can see why Oher was not picked the down points are scary and Pettigrew is a much safer pick. Has trouble learning offenses, very inconsistent with his footwork (Watch the senior bowl tapes he would be dominant one point and then just get owned by an inferior DE right after) I suppose that those reasons were enough to scare the Lions off from Oher. Pettigrew is a great blocker and could be a do it all Jason Witten type guy for us when we have Jared Allen on the outside we can double him with Pettigrew and help Backus out when needed. Lets just say I don't agree with the pick but I understand it.

33. Louis Delmas - Grade B - At first I was floored when they passed on Rey Rey again for the 3rd time. In the heat of the moment I was very angry. After I calmed down and looked at it (and heard some of Mike Mayock's analysis) Rey fell out of the first round because of concerns of him being a 3 down ILB that is why 32 teams passed on him the first time and why Lil Animal went before him. Personally I think they got caught with their pants down not expecting Ziggy Hood to be taken by the Steelers. The Steelers surprised everyone with that pick and now there isn't a DT worth getting drafted in the 2nd/3rd round as an UT I like brace but he is only a 3-4 NT and don't see him doing anything at the 4-3 D. Is it just me or is Delmas and Alexander the same player?

76. DeAndre Levy - Grade ?? - I wanted Jasper Brinkley/Scott McKillop - According to their draft position I would have reached a bit here. One of three things are going on here with the Levy pick. Either Sim's job is in trouble. He is a backup drafted in the 3rd or he is going to be converted to ILB. With his ability to stack the FB I think he is going to be kicked inside to take the middle spot from Paris.

82 Lions (From Cowboys) Williams, Derrick - Grade C - I wanted Duke Robinson - It looks at the moment either Robinson was over rated by the TV/internet draft community or very under rated in the League. Williams I don't know. we have a ton of WRs right now #1 and #2 I think are set so Williams might be the #3/4 WR and return man this is going to be a wait and see pick could be great could bust very early.

115. Sammie Lee Hill - Grade A - I wanted Sammie Lee Hill - I love the pick Hill will break the NT rotation early is a big body that we didn't have last year.

192 (From Cowboys) Aaron Brown - Grade ?? - Looking at it I think Brown at best will be the change of pace back or 3rd down guy. At worst he doesn't make training camp.

228 (From Jets) Lydon Murtha - Grade A - I didn't know anything about the guy until I heard his name on 971 (2 or 3 rounds before he was taken) and I looked into him. I like it.

235 (From Falcons through Broncos) Zack Follett - Will be a decent ST guy nothing more

The Last pick won't make training camp I have no time to worry abiyt this grade
                Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
                oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Comment

Think you guys will love Pettigrew, but will regret not taking Michael Oher when you could have drafted a great LT prospect...

Past that I think you did well

B+

Comment

Originally posted by ChefMike View Post
                    Think you guys will love Pettigrew, but will regret not taking Michael Oher when you could have drafted a great LT prospect...

Past that I think you did well

B+
                    Pettigrew was the right pick, I beleive Backus is solid enough (or atleast better than Oher now and his first year). We can pick a LT next draft, but Pettigrew is instant offense as a Pass-Catcher and a Run-blocker. He will make the QB and Kevin better while making plays for himself, this was a great pick-up.

Comment

Detroit: A+

Sure, we still have to wait 3 years to find out if Stafford is any good but he fit Schwartz's scheme and the position was absolutely correct.
                      Pettigrew - In an exceptionally weak draft, he was a steal at #20. He is like having a 2nd LT playing on the field re: blocking and is a real comfort player who should really help Stafford develop and Schwartz schemes runs a lot of plays for his TE's if he follows Tennessee's style offense.
                      Delmas - Can he stand up as a SS over time because he puts his body on the line every play. If there weren't longevity concerns he is easily a 1st rounder.
                      In this weak draft, the rest of the picks are anybodies guess but I think they did their homework and we'll just have to see.
                      And proud of it!!!

Comment

By pick:

Stafford: A... Good pick had to pick the potential franchise QB

Pettigrew: C-... Passed on Oher a future franchise LT nothing against the guy we did take because i think he is a great TE; but you dont pass on a great LT when you have a horrible offensive line and a brand new 80 million dollar QB. And I dont care how good of a blocker he is because its the LT who is going to be consistantly responsible for that blindside.

Delmas: C... Missed out on a chance to stamp our defense with a familiar face and identity in Rey or JL... Love Delmas game but we had bigger needs at MLB. I just keep thinking about that horrible run defense and missing out on a big thumper at MLB.

Levy: C... Bad value and this is really a boom or bust type pick. Will he be another Alex Lewis or Keith Bullock? I just dont think this was a great spot to pick this guy if you liked him and its a gamble drafting a undersized OLB to play MLB without drafting some more help in the middle.
                        Williams: B-... WR really? so many needs at this point but we are staying true to BPA... Ill be alot more happy with this pick if Linehan finds creative ways to get this guy the ball and his speed translates well on special teams. Not a bad reciever to pick if you need one.
                        Hill: A+... Great value one of my late round guys... could have a Shaun Rogers type effect in a few years if he keeps working hard.
                        Brown: D+... Not a fan but hopefully he turns out to be a great return man and 3rd down RB and proves me wrong!
                        Murtha: A-... A good late round project.
                        Follett: A... Love this pick one of my guys i had been yelling at the TV for a few rounds to take. At the very least he will be a great ST player but i like his potential to be an effective blitzer in this scheme.
                        Grontkowski: C+... Good athlete he just might make the team! Didnt need another TE tho.

Overall: B-... I like almost all of these players but I would have picked quite a few different guys and do not like how we did not address LT/MLB when we had great prospects staring us in the face. Wouldnt mind seeing a corner but im not too upset given we took a saftey and henry will most likely be playing corner now. DT was pretty weak this year and I really like Hill too. Just didnt do a good job of addressing needs but i guess its going to be a few years anyways. I was pretty upset on the first day but the second day ended up with a few sleeper picks i liked and i eased up with drafting the BPA and am happy to have great players like Pettigrew and Delmas anyways.

"God only put one pair of feet like that on a human being."
                        - Fritz Shurmur, Defensive Coordinator, Green Bay Packers

Comment

A-

Stafford is a franchise quarterback and he fills our biggest need. Pettigrew was the best player available at #20 and also filled a huge need. He may not have been my personal #1 choice, but he was in my top three. Delmas is an impact player in the secondary who might be able to play either safety position. Day one was an A+.

I think they could've gotten Levy a little later on, but it seems that Schwartz likes his fit as a middle linebacker in our scheme. It remains to be seen how good he is. Derrick Williams was great value at #82. Although I don't like him as a #1 or #2, I think he can be a good #3 and a great kick returner, something we desperately needed. Sammie Lee Hill is an intriguing prospect in the 4th round. His upside is absolutely ridiculous, but he may have a low floor.

Ultimately, the Lions used their first eight picks to fill needs. It may not have been in the order that some fans wanted, but they did bring in some impact talent.

Comment

I think all in all the lions draft was an A- or B+

Comment

Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
                              Aside from Sammie Lee Hill and Lydon Murtha, I don't think we built the TRENCHES!
                              Do you understand that there is a draft next year?? Did you really believe that every position of need was going to be addressed?? Their were two positions on the entire field that did not need to be addressed. WR, and Kicker. That is it, every other spot needed to be upgraded and that is what the team did. We will be picking in the top 5 next year so we will be able to grab that big time Tackle. Don't worry.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDoctor8 View Post
                                Do you understand that there is a draft next year?? Did you really believe that every position of need was going to be addressed?? Their were two positions on the entire field that did not need to be addressed. WR, and Kicker. That is it, every other spot needed to be upgraded and that is what the team did. We will be picking in the top 5 next year so we will be able to grab that big time Tackle. Don't worry.
                                WMD was being funny. All weekend he used that cliche phrase because he knew how much it annoyed me, haha.
                                R.I.P. L.E.F.
                                "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information