Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid Detroit Media . . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I don't really think MIKE was necessarily a bigger need than TE now that you think about it. Have you seen our TE's?


    RIP TheManInBlack

    Comment


    • #17
      HA ...

      Wow ... lofty amount of wins for us OR just really high on Spikes? He's a top 10 lock barring injury or amputation or ... well ... I guess that would be an injury? lol ;o)

      4-12 to 6-10 records get us approx. #6-#9 range ...

      I'm not as hopeful on the Levy switch-er-oo ... Schwartz dropped a Ray Lewis comparison which made me chuckle when I read it today. "Ray Lewis was only 228 lbs when he came out of Miami." In defense of said LB Levy. WHHHHHAAAT???

      Comment


      • #18
        with amputation he's still a first rounder
        SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
        Fire Caldwell!!!

        Prowler's Newb Guide

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
          I don't really think MIKE was necessarily a bigger need than TE now that you think about it. Have you seen our TE's?
          Yeah TE has been a mess for us for years ... I just thought there was some solid 3rd 4th round guys (Casey/Coffman/Ingram/Nelson) at that position. Pettigrew is a fantastic talent no question.

          I wonder what we did not see in Dannell Elerbee (sp?) and Darry Beckwith with our 14th 7th round pick (jk) where we took TE #2 vs. 2 SEC veterans that are natural MLB's? Maybe Jordan Dizon has made some sophmore year strides that he's hiding from us!



          (wishful thinking)

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Prowler View Post
            with amputation he's still a first rounder
            He could be an even better blocker using that arm as a club ... catching might be tricky though.

            Comment


            • #21
              I don't like that Det passed on Michael Oher at #20 other then that I think Det had a pretty good draft on paper at least kinda point less to grade it yet.

              Comment


              • #22
                Yeah, that was a questionable statement by Schwartz. He's just saying that weight shouldn't really hold back someone though..

                I think we'll get between 2 and 4 wins this year. Spikes is awesome but he does have some speed concerns. Not to mention, MLB's generally aren't taken high. In the last 10 years I think the earliest a MLB has been taken is Brian Urlacher at #9.

                Not saying it won't happen though.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I just consider a 1st round TE a luxury pick. When you already have a decent to good team without a lot of glaring holes to fill, you can go ahead and spend a premium pick on a TE.

                  Everyone keeps saying Oher, but he isnt the Ole Miss linemen I wanted. Our DL is awful & weve actually gotten worse there since the end of last season. I liked the Sammie Lee Hill pick a lot, but best case scenario is he contributes a few years down the road after a lot of development.

                  I just really dislike the Pettigrew pick. People are overvaluing his importance as a blocker, imo. Dan Campbell was a very good blocking TE, how much did that help our run game? And the TE isn't going to be staying in pass coverage very often so it still does little to help keep our QB off his ass.

                  People are using the 'BPA' argument and I don't buy it. Stafford was almost no ones BPA in this draft. If we were drafting pure BPA I don't see Stafford being our 1st selection.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Almost no ones BPA? Stafford was at least half of the draft expert's BPA.


                    RIP TheManInBlack

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                      Almost no ones BPA? Stafford was at least half of the draft expert's BPA.
                      Which draft experts are these? because he certainly wasnt the BPA of anyone covering the draft on TV (espn/nfln).

                      Hell, Ive seen a lot of 'draft experts' saying they believe Sanchez will be a better NFL QB compared to Stafford.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by The Peefs View Post
                        Which draft experts are these? because he certainly wasnt the BPA of anyone covering the draft on TV (espn/nfln).

                        Hell, Ive seen a lot of 'draft experts' saying they believe Sanchez will be a better NFL QB compared to Stafford.
                        #1 overall is a different circumstance. You take the BPA that you also feel comfortable taking. He was undoubtedly a top 3 talent, and the order in which they ranked is interchangable.

                        The rest of the draft was, for the most part, BPA.

                        I agree that TE is a luxury pick, but his value was there regardless, and he'll help Stafford as much as a Left Tackle.

                        And you can't cite Dan Campbell's blocking skills. He was NEVER on the the field. Always hurt.
                        R.I.P. L.E.F.
                        "I am the one who knocks!"

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I dont think that there is any way Pettigrew will help the QB out as much as a very good LT would; unless your QB is Joey Harrington and he throws the ball to his check down option every play. There are clearly debates on if we could have gotten a very good LT at 20, Oher has plenty of question marks. I still would have preferred Peria over Michael & Brandon.

                          And your comment about #1 I think helps my point Xio. You don't draft purely on BPA, there are always circumstances.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by The Peefs View Post
                            I dont think that there is any way Pettigrew will help the QB out as much as a very good LT would; unless your QB is Joey Harrington and he throws the ball to his check down option every play. There are clearly debates on if we could have gotten a very good LT at 20, Oher has plenty of question marks. I still would have preferred Peria over Michael & Brandon.

                            And your comment about #1 I think helps my point Xio. You don't draft purely on BPA, there are always circumstances.
                            Generally speaking, a top Left Tackle is infinitely more valuable than a top TE.

                            BUT . . .

                            Given the Lions roster, the immediate upgrade of Pettigrew over Will Heller (?) is greater than the upgrade of Michael Oher over Jeff Backus (though I am sure Backus haters will unreasonably disagree).

                            The fact that we didn't get a Left Guard upgrade really sucks, but a Tight End upgrade helps Stafford (and Daunte) more than you think.
                            R.I.P. L.E.F.
                            "I am the one who knocks!"

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              But honestly, how good do you really think Pettigrew can be? You said yourself before the draft that you had never been impressed with him. Hes a lumbering TE who can make some plays for you in the short passing game. But would probably be more useful for us in protect schemes double teaming DE's who are beating up on our tackles.

                              Though I bet he is a better C than Dominic Raiola. In my opinion, Raiola doesnt get nearly enough hate~ He seemingly gets tossed aside or just driven into the backfield every play by opposing DT's.
                              Last edited by El Peefs?????; 04-27-2009, 11:02 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by The Peefs View Post
                                I just consider a 1st round TE a luxury pick. When you already have a decent to good team without a lot of glaring holes to fill, you can go ahead and spend a premium pick on a TE.
                                Y'know, I've heard this so often since Saturday that I'm beginning to hear it for the insult it is.

                                "The Detroit Lions should know their place. Who do they think they are, drafting the best player on the board? Only good teams should do that. Damn those uppity Lions, acting like they're entitled to draft the most talented athletes available."

                                Frankly, it's starting to make me mad. We drafted some good players -- get used to it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information