No announcement yet.

2010 Draft Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a lot to like about next year's draft. I would draft either Gerald McCoy or Ndamokung Suh with first options on Carlos Dunlap, Greg Hardy and Everson Griffen.
    Secondly, I would draft Spikes, Lindley, Haden, Mays or Eric Berry.
    Lastly, Russell Okung, Trent Williams and Bryan Bulaga would garner LT attention. And, if there were a running back who just demanded he be drafted, like Aikman's Emmitt Smith well, I would have to think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by weasel View Post
      There is a lot to like about next year's draft. I would draft either Gerald McCoy or Ndamokung Suh with first options on Carlos Dunlap, Greg Hardy and Everson Griffen.
      Secondly, I would draft Spikes, Lindley, Haden, Mays or Eric Berry.
      Lastly, Russell Okung, Trent Williams and Bryan Bulaga would garner LT attention. And, if there were a running back who just demanded he be drafted, like Aikman's Emmitt Smith well, I would have to think about it.
      I don't think RB is worth considering for the lions at this point. Smith is servicable, maybe not superb, but decent enough. We have massive needs at the lines, DE, DT, LT... any of those three positions should be the pick. Berry and Mays are fantastic talents, but I think safety is a spot where we have Bullocks, Alexander and now Delmas, so at least there is something there. Not to say that Mays and Berry wouldn't be a massive upgrade, but they would be luxury picks.
      If we manage to land a top OT or DE next year (maybe a DT, who knows) we'd help ourselves a lot more than with a RB or safety. We need a corner too, but since we'll be picking in the top 5 again most likely I don't think we'll go that route.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
      don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

i want any of the defensive monster playmakers. oline help can come later.
        SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
        Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler View Post
          i want any of the defensive monster playmakers. oline help can come later.
          yeah screw the #1 overall QB who has an 80 million dollar deal!

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

Yes I think we need a Dline monster in 2010 and we're set up nicely to get one based on how the class looks. Stupid Millen/Marinelli trading away Shaun Rogers. I know he wasn't happy and unmotivated but still guy was a difference maker, and in hindsight losing him really caused 0-16 to happen. DT or DE in 2010 unless Fluellen,Avril and Sammie Lee Hill peform some sort of uber suprise this year on the field. Probably 2 of them would have to suprise in order to stay away from the Dline.

Oline hopefully is a deep class next year. I think right now it seems to be deep so hope it stays that way and a tackle falls into Round 2.

Mays and Berry are incredible talents. But safety in the top 5 I don't know how much that really helps us. But if our corners are lacking two stud safeites assuming Delmas is what he's cracked up to be would help on the back end. Bullocks and Alexander are both on the last years of their deals this year. So its do or die time for them. I like Bullocks in run support, he needs to work on his coverage. And Alexanders injury hurt him. Stupid 2nd Round Millen curse.

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
              yeah screw the #1 overall QB who has an 80 million dollar deal!
              He's not screwed if the Oline class is deep. Plus free agency is an option.
              http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/featu...tion=OL&y=2010

Marcus McNeil and Logan Mankins might help if available.

Comment

Originally posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
                He's not screwed if the Oline class is deep. Plus free agency is an option.
                http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/featu...tion=OL&y=2010

Marcus McNeil and Logan Mankins might help if available.
                come on man, be realistic. McNeill and Mankins come from two top teams in the AFC. Do you really think they're going to sign with a NFC bottom dweller? Detroit needs to get its act together through the draft before any free agent of a certain stature is going to want to come here.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

come on man, be realistic. McNeill and Mankins come from two top teams in the AFC. Do you really think they're going to sign with a NFC bottom dweller? Detroit needs to get its act together through the draft before any free agent of a certain stature is going to want to come here.
                  Depends how much money we offer compared to what others offer. I guess we'll never get a big name free agent ever again. Foote came from a top team, of course he's from this area though. San Diego is not a top team. I could see McNeil coming here. Mankins depends how much money he wants compared to how much winners/New England offers him. He seems to be a guy more about winning but we'll see what the Lions look like this year. If they are competive and improve as the year goes on, someone will come here. How did we convince any free agent to come here this year.
                  If no free agency, a Round 2 tackle can be successfull. Schwartz knows this with Roos. Most of the playoff teams didn't have a 1st round tackle and Backus is fine for 2009 and possibly 2010 depending how healthy he stays. I think I'd actually prefer the veteran tackle than a rookie tackle with Stafford in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
                    Depends how much money we offer compared to what others offer. I guess we'll never get a big name free agent ever again. Foote came from a top team, of course he's from this area though. San Diego is not a top team. I could see McNeil coming here. Mankins depends how much money he wants compared to how much winners/New England offers him. He seems to be a guy more about winning but we'll see what the Lions look like this year. If they are competive and improve as the year goes on, someone will come here. How did we convince any free agent to come here this year.
                    If no free agency, a Round 2 tackle can be successfull. Schwartz knows this with Roos. Most of the playoff teams didn't have a 1st round tackle and Backus is fine for 2009 and possibly 2010 depending how healthy he stays. I think I'd actually prefer the veteran tackle than a rookie tackle with Stafford in 2010.
                    I'm sorry I must have missed all the big-name free agents we got to come in this year... like... ummm, who?
                    The thing is yes we can shell out money, but so can every other team in the NFL. The Lions don't win. Haven't for almost 5 decades. Unless there's little to no interest for other teams or Detroit REALLY showers you in benjamins you'll think twice before joining the Lions. Like you said, these guys are competitors, so they'll want to compete. Foote came here because he's from here, it's much like LeCharles Bentley coming to Cleveland (it didn't work out, but that's a different story).
                    Every year, it seems we have these great plans of signing this guy and then this guy, then we can draft our mancrushes and be competitive. The only problem is we never sign anyone save a few scrubs and veterans who either are on the decline or already have declined. Do you really think the FO, ever under Millen, didn't go after the guys the fans wanted? I think they did, but to no avail.

The NFL might be a business. But you can't deny that these players are people too. People want a good salary, but they also want to enjoy their work. Even if it's just work for them, they'll want to enjoy it as much as they can, and nobody enjoys losing (save a few sadomasochistic people, but that's beside the point). So any time a player needs to decide between us and a different team, they'll lean towards the other...simply because they'll want to win, compete and not be stuck on a team that went 0-16 and has been a complete trainwreck since before they were born.
                    Signing big-name free agents is something that just isn't going to happen as long as this team doesn't show that it can perform at least decently. What we need to get we need to get through the draft. We need to go from abysmal to bad and all the way to good, all using the draft. Then we can go from good to great with free agency. Not the other way around.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

I'm sorry I must have missed all the big-name free agents we got to come in this year... like... ummm, who?
                      The thing is yes we can shell out money, but so can every other team in the NFL. The Lions don't win. Haven't for almost 5 decades. Unless there's little to no interest for other teams or Detroit REALLY showers you in benjamins you'll think twice before joining the Lions. Like you said, these guys are competitors, so they'll want to compete. Foote came here because he's from here, it's much like LeCharles Bentley coming to Cleveland (it didn't work out, but that's a different story).
                      Every year, it seems we have these great plans of signing this guy and then this guy, then we can draft our mancrushes and be competitive. The only problem is we never sign anyone save a few scrubs and veterans who either are on the decline or already have declined. Do you really think the FO, ever under Millen, didn't go after the guys the fans wanted? I think they did, but to no avail.

The NFL might be a business. But you can't deny that these players are people too. People want a good salary, but they also want to enjoy their work. Even if it's just work for them, they'll want to enjoy it as much as they can, and nobody enjoys losing (save a few sadomasochistic people, but that's beside the point). So any time a player needs to decide between us and a different team, they'll lean towards the other...simply because they'll want to win, compete and not be stuck on a team that went 0-16 and has been a complete trainwreck since before they were born.
                      Signing big-name free agents is something that just isn't going to happen as long as this team doesn't show that it can perform at least decently. What we need to get we need to get through the draft. We need to go from abysmal to bad and all the way to good, all using the draft. Then we can go from good to great with free agency. Not the other way around.
                      You underestimate the egos of these players. They want to be paid the most or very high salaires and they won't settle for less. Which is why people get paid more and more every year. I agree we need to build through the draft, but if we offer McNeil a boat load of money with this new coaching staff, I think we have a chance to get him if we feel he upgrades the LT position that much. Some players are leaving their teams for money. If New England low balls Mankins like they tend to do, we'll have a chance there. Good teams will have to be willing to pony up the dough which some of them are not and they must have a large need at LT or LG, which most of the good teams do not. So that only leaves the losing teams who we have to contend with for an LT or LG.

Money is how we got Bly, its how we got Woody after 2 and 3 years of losing. Its a new regime so the past failures of this teams players do forget about. The guys we added this year don't care about 0-16. Its a new story and they think they can make a difference(some can) and they didn't play for the Lions last year. Plus again they have egos so they think they can actually make the difference. Same goes with coaches(some can).

How did Arizona get Edge,Saints get Brees before they got good,Seattle get Housh on their decline.

Plus Oline class is deep. If we get an LT or stud G in Round 2 next year I won't complain. This defense needs a ton of work, especially the Dline. Oline is more dependent than the Round they are picked. With a good Qb, the QB makes the Oline better IMO. Plus there is blocking tight end aid of Pettigrew, and 4 other pieces to the Oline puzzle(one solved in Gosder). We'll find out about the interior more this year with Peterman resigned,Loper and Raiola healthy.
                      Last edited by Maybe Next Year Millen2; 05-17-2009, 06:44 PM.

Comment

I hope we get Greg Hardy or Carlos Dunlap or Gerald McCoy or Ndamokung Suh or Russell Okung or Everson Griffen or Taylor Mays or ... You seem to get the idea.

Comment

I am a trenches guy when all is said and done.

Comment

I hope we get Greg Hardy or Carlos Dunlap or Gerald McCoy or Ndamokung Suh or Russell Okung or Everson Griffen or Taylor Mays or ... You seem to get the idea.
                            I am a trenches guy when all is said and done.
                            you should try the edit button sometime... it's awesome.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

What do I need to edit? Is there a mistake? Was there a grammatical or spelling error? Is there a factual error? What exactly needs to be edited, Addict.

Comment

IMO, signing even top FA's is a slippery slop. Teams that are winners think long and hard about which FA to release and few really good ones get let loose unless the top team feels replacing them isn't as tough as the player's egos may feel.
                                The risk in signing a top FA is immense, they may have played real well because they knew it was their opportunity to get a big contract and they don't play nearly as well once that incentive is removed.
                                Sometimes the best FA's come from financially strapped teams like Buffalo who simply cannot afford to retain their top guys, not from the top teams who release players because they know finding an adequate replacement for less money isn't as hard as people think.
                                The Yankees in baseball shelled out huge, immense sums to both their top FA's Teixeira and A.J. Burnett. Teixeira is batting .239 and Burnett has 2 wins and a 5.02 ERA. FA's usually don't do well their first year after signing for whatever reason. Sometimes they rebound in year 2 but many times they never approach what they previously accomplished after signing with another team.
                                The other point about FA's is that a team like Detroit must overpay for any chance at getting the top guys. Players want a big pay day first but all things being equal, they will sign with the team that has a real chance at competing and right now that isn't Detroit. So to sign them, we must offer more money than the others are willing to pay, and that carries a lot of dangers on a rebuilding team that needs cap space to maneuver.
                                We are far better off establishing a winning team, then going after top FA's to fill the gaps in the teams weaknesses than trying to sign them now and just spending money haphazardly. I just don't think signing FA's is the correct course to take for any losing team. Far better to approach FA from a position of strength where players actually want to sign with you because you have real potential to win, then you have a far better shot at FA's who place a premium on winning over just money.
                                And proud of it!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information