Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lions trade Gerald Alexander for Dennis Northcutt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lions trade Gerald Alexander for Dennis Northcutt

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4290825

    I like it. I guess . . . though another high Millen pick has gone to waste.

    Northcutt is a lot like Derrick Williams, no? Doesn't inspire confidence in him, but Northcutt is a very solid veteran receiver.
    R.I.P. L.E.F.
    "I am the one who knocks!"

  • #2
    its fine with me. northcutt is pretty small, but playing for the jags had to have helped his run blocking a bit. plus it ensures that we always have enough wideouts to spread the field. i don't know why the jags would get rid of another wideout though. CJ, Bryant, Derrick, Dennis, and Curry should provide a pretty good mix.
    SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
    Fire Caldwell!!!

    Prowler's Newb Guide

    Comment


    • #3
      You guys might remember better than me.. did Tactica at some point try to compare Gerald Alexander to Ed Reed?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
        You guys might remember better than me.. did Tactica at some point try to compare Gerald Alexander to Ed Reed?
        Hes about to hit his stride.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
          You guys might remember better than me.. did Tactica at some point try to compare Gerald Alexander to Ed Reed?
          IIRC he did mention the two in the same sentence once, but I don't think he actually compared them.

          Also I don't really understand this trade, I thought we'd have Alexander at FS and Delmas at SS... Now we just have Bullocks... who's really a SS too, right?

          Sig by Fenikz

          I remember NFLDC
          don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

          Comment


          • #6
            I think we'll probably roll with Anthony Henry and Louis Delmas for the safety spots..

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
              I think we'll probably roll with Anthony Henry and Louis Delmas for the safety spots..
              Yep. That makes who, Ramzee Robinson our starting CB opposite Buchanon? Or are they trying to bring Brian Kelly back? Bryant Westbrook? Terry Fair?
              R.I.P. L.E.F.
              "I am the one who knocks!"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
                Yep. That makes who, Ramzee Robinson our starting CB opposite Buchanon? Or are they trying to bring Brian Kelly back? Bryant Westbrook? Terry Fair?
                Eric King!!!

                also Keith Smith.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
                  I think we'll probably roll with Anthony Henry and Louis Delmas for the safety spots..
                  Bullocks? I think that Henry is going to play CB. I don't really like this trade muck IMO Alexander wasn't great by any stretch but I thought he was half decent at least.
                  Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji


                  DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

                  Originally posted by njx9
                  oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think I like Alexander's future more then Bullocks.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      keith smith is underrated now. not #2 material, but should be better.

                      edit-just saw that fernando bryant retired

                      http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4281501
                      Last edited by Prowler; 06-28-2009, 12:33 PM.
                      SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
                      Fire Caldwell!!!

                      Prowler's Newb Guide

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Oh Fernando . . . what as total waste of money you were.

                        The guy had a total of like 10 INT's his entire career, haha.
                        R.I.P. L.E.F.
                        "I am the one who knocks!"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Ehhh not a terrible move but not great.

                          Alexander was on the last year of his deal and had a major injury. Wouldn't have started so tough to judge him on resigning him. I guess it will be Delmas at free and Bullocks at strong. Backups are Pearson and Marquand Manuel plus Henry can play safety. They must really really like Delmas which is good.

                          Derrick Williams had the hamstring and Curry must not be doing much during OTAs/mini camps, Northcutt will help us for sure. Shack Harris move all over this one.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
                            Ehhh not a terrible move but not great.

                            Alexander was on the last year of his deal and had a major injury. Wouldn't have started so tough to judge him on resigning him. I guess it will be Delmas at free and Bullocks at strong. Backups are Pearson and Marquand Manuel plus Henry can play safety. They must really really like Delmas which is good.

                            Derrick Williams had the hamstring and Curry must not be doing much during OTAs/mini camps, Northcutt will help us for sure. Shack Harris move all over this one.
                            Alexander isn't a free agent until after the 2010 season. I actually like this trade a little more for the Jaguars because it was clear they didn't want Northcutt anymore and would have likely cut him anyways. Now they dump his $4 million cap number and pick up whats at worse a good backup safety who they control for at least 2 more years for roughly $500k each year.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by cvv84 View Post
                              Alexander isn't a free agent until after the 2010 season. I actually like this trade a little more for the Jaguars because it was clear they didn't want Northcutt anymore and would have likely cut him anyways. Now they dump his $4 million cap number and pick up whats at worse a good backup safety who they control for at least 2 more years for roughly $500k each year.
                              True, the page where I get the info only had him for 3 years but he must have been signed for four per the USA today article. Unless its just the bonus spread out over 4 with a player option to void the last year like Roy Williams had.
                              http://www.thenetrat.com/

                              Alexander is very cheap unless he signed a new deal with the Jags. So it was a good move for the Jags depending on him recovering from his injury.
                              http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...ing-status.htm

                              I don't know how much of that cap number the Lions have to take on for Northcutt. Depends how much is salary, and how much was signing bonus for Nortcutt. Should be less than 4 million for sure.

                              Cap wise the Lions are fine though, and someone wasn't working out from Ronald Curry or Derrick Williams hurt during minicamp. So good to be proactive and fix the problem now. Plus DW is explosive as a punt returner but does have the fumble issue there and is a rookie. Northcutt is more sure handed and still has some abilities. Another vet really doesn't hurt at receiver and having 2 punt returners might be needed with one rookie. We were signing guys off the street last year at Receiver.

                              As for safety depth for the Lions, Marquand Manuel and Pearson are the backups which scares me but Anthony Henry could play safety too. Delmas is looking great and Bullocks is solid. So we have 5 guys we can mix up with Henry,Buchanon,Eric King,Delmas and Bullocks. Manuel does have starting experience too and Pearson is the special teams guy who started alot last year. Although if we're unlucky enough to have Delmas and Henry hurt then we are in trouble anyway.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information