Week 1 Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 1 Discussion Thread

Week 1 against New Orleans. Am I crazy for thinking we MIGHT have a chance in this one?

- Pierre Thomas is not playing due to injury. Which should help us by forcing Reggie Bush, a player who isn't exactly known for charging up the gut, to start making our soft underbelly of a D-Line shall we say less exposed.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...bly-wont-play/

Schwartz is more than familiar with the defensive coordinator Stafford and the offense will be matched with: 19-year coaching veteran Gregg Williams.

Schwartz worked with Williams in Tennessee, beginning in 1999, when Williams was the defensive coordinator.

“I had just moved from Baltimore and had spent about 10 years of being in the right place at the wrong time, the wrong place at the right time, and the wrong place at the wrong time, (when I) got to Tennessee as Greg’s quality control coach in 1999," said Schwartz. "We went on a Super Bowl run and I happened to be in the right place at the right time.”

The challenging thing about coaching against Williams in Week 1 of the regular season will be anticipating what he is going to bring from a defensive standpoint.

Following his time with Tennessee, Williams spent three seasons in Buffalo as a head coach before moving on to a long tenure with the Washington Redskins. Then he made a one-year stop at Jacksonville in 2008.

“When you have a new coordinator or coordinator come into a team for the first time, there’s uncertainty,” said Schwartz.

“Is it going to look exactly like it looked in Jacksonville last year? Is it going to look like what he did with the Redskins? Should we go back to Buffalo? Should we go back to Tennessee? It makes a little air of uncertainty.”

Schwartz compared the situation to Lions Offensive Coordinator Scott Linehan.

“Where do you go to see exactly what our offense is going to look like?” he said. “Do you go to Miami? Do you go to St. Louis? Do you go back to Minnesota? Anything you can do to keep that uncertainty alive and hold those cards close to your vest is beneficial for you.”
    http://www.detroitlions.com/document...ment_id=489680

Unfortunately the 4 week suspension on Charles Grant and Will Smith isn't going to start this week which would have helped us alot.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-grant-sunday/

But this should be a high scoring affair with the Saint's D not stellar and the Lions D well the Lion's D.
    Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
    oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

In New Orleans.... I think the Saints get over 40 and the Lions don't get over 25....

Not this week.

Comment

Originally posted by bigredballer View Post
      In New Orleans.... I think the Saints get over 40 and the Lions don't get over 25....

Not this week.
      And how to rookie QBs usually fair starting in week 1 games? I guess Ryan did alright last year but I can't remember who he played.............oh yeah.

Comment

Jamaal Brown is also not playing which is very good. Two good breaks there, but Brees still looked great in the preseason without Brown.

New Orleans is at home, and they are going to put up points even though our D is improved. Greg Williams is going to help NO tremendously IMO. They have some talent on D. Hope we keep it within 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
          Jamaal Brown is also not playing which is very good. Two good breaks there, but Brees still looked great in the preseason without Brown.

New Orleans is at home, and they are going to put up points even though our D is improved. Greg Williams is going to help NO tremendously IMO. They have some talent on D. Hope we keep it within 10.
          It's not like the Lions have some great pass rush which is just gonna feast on whoever plays for Brown... chances are their backup can still get the job done against our DL.

I'm also not convinced our overall D is all that improved... I think they are improved in name value, improved on paper, but they still got pushed around quite a bit in the preseason. If we're relying on veteran additions and "they didn't show everything in the preseason," well that's exactly where we were last year at this time. Anyway, they could be quite a bit better and still be among the worst in the league.

I am just hoping we don't give up three TD drives in the first quarter. As for the overall game, I am expecting the Saints to score around 40.

As for Stafford and the offense, if they can move the ball some, lead a couple of touchdown drives, limit the turnovers to 3 or less, and stay in the game into the third quarter, I call that a successful outing.

Saints 38, Lions 17

Comment

Week 1 Prediction

Saints 31
            Lions 20
            R.I.P. L.E.F.
            "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

New Orleans-38
              Lions-17

which i just scrolled up and i have similar thoughts as calvin & kevin. drew brees isn't going to be scared of our new defense.
              SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
              Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

I have a strong feeling this game will be a complete blowout, anything less is a success for Detroit. Stafford hasn't seen a pro defense using all its tools to confuse a QB. During the exhibition season, all he saw was vanilla defenses. He could easily throw 3 interceptions and that will be suicide against New Orlean's offense. Brees could also have all day to throw the ball unless we suddenly have a pass rush which I seriously doubt. We don't match up well with any team that has a star QB which New Orleans has. It could get ugly very quickly.

45-10 New Orleans

Remember Peyton Manning went 3-13 in his rookie year with a far better team than we have.
                And proud of it!!!

Comment

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-on-disparity/

Charles Grant and Will Smith both suspended but are they suspended for this game? If so I think the game will be alot closer than people think and the Lions may actually have a chance.
                  Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
                  oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Comment

No, they are not suspended for Week One. This game scares the crap out of me - good luck to you guys, but I'm hoping for a win with no injuries for any teams.
                    The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                      No, they are not suspended for Week One. This game scares the crap out of me - good luck to you guys, but I'm hoping for a win with no injuries for any teams.
                      That's exactly the opposite of what I'm hoping for.

Comment

I just don't see it. Prediction:

New Orleans - 38, Detroit - 16

Comment

Saints - 27
                          Lions - 13

Comment

go Stafford!
                            my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                            <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                            <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                            <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                            Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                            What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
                              go Stafford!
                              He's looked OK to start.

Can anyone out there explain why coordinators think a pitch play is a good idea on 3rd and 1?

Kevin Smith lost 4 yards on the play.

Pitch plays never ******* work. The runner has to run 6 yards to even reach the line of scrimmage!
                              R.I.P. L.E.F.
                              "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information