No announcement yet.

Trading Calvin..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Id love to have Calvin on this team(should already have been but we dicided to take Russell :( ). Id say his value would be around a 1st and 4th this year and 2nd next year

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
    @SirStackAlot707

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderNation View Post
      Id love to have Calvin on this team(should already have been but we dicided to take Russell :( ). Id say his value would be around a 1st and 4th this year and 2nd next year
      I wouldn't trade him if that was the best offer. That is barely better than what we got for Roy Williams. If the team isn't going to start the offer with two 1st round picks than they shouldn't bother calling.

Comment

Originally posted by gpngc View Post
        Where? Local radio? I'm curious.

I think it's next to impossible that it actually happens because you don't have any other threats on the outside and just drafted a strong-armed QB to grow with him...
        It's been something to talk about on local radio, plus there was an article about it on the Free Press web site today

Comment

What if St. Louis/Tampa offered the #1 Overall for him straight up?

We could go out of the draft with Suh and Berry/Okung.

Comment

I hope something like this goes down. It is the only way this team can become competitive quickly. Calvin is a great player but the Lidowns can fill so many holes and build an entire defense with a trade like this.

Comment

It would need to be a Herschel Walker type deal, or close to. Look what that did for the Cowboys, it could be franchise changing.

Comment

**** trading Calvin Johnson. It just creates another huge hole for this team and would hinder Stafford who has shown signs but isn't a QB that can just do whatever he wants with no receivers yet. Maybe in 4 years like Brees became but that is even asking alot. Besides the 5 rookie starters and Foote/Peterson, he's the lone talent we have now. The last 2 times Detroit traded talent we got nothing in return and it crippled us. Of course it was for washed players as Millen got fleeced with Bell/Foster and a 3rd/Bodden. Two 1sts are far from gurantees though even with Mayhew's 2009 success, Calvin is a gurantee for 3 more seasons. Lions should just continue to build through the draft and by 2011 do everything possible to resign Calvin. Offseason 2012(maybe 2013 depending on his contract) is when we would have to franchise him. Its not like we would let him walk out the door without a franchise tag(which would be 2012 season).

Roy was a different story to let go, 1) we had Calvin and 2) he was at the end of his contract and wanted to go to Texas no matter what and the rebuilding was just beginning with Roy. And we still haven't replaced Roy. Pettigrew had a decent rookie year and does other things in the blocking department but Pettigrew/Derrick Williams/Bryant Johnson/Northcutt haven't replaced Roy. Calvin is under contract for 2 years maybe 3 I need to check which would be awesome. Towards the end of Calvins contract we could be better if Mayhew keeps having successful drafts, then he would want to resign here. We don't have a 2005 1st rounder or 2006 1st rounder to resign with Mike Williams and Sims so we'll have money for Calvin. Heck we don't have 2002,2003 or 2004 1st rounder to resign either. Stafford,Calvin and Julian Peterson(all salary) and 2010 1st rounder will be our only expensive players.
                Last edited by Maybe Next Year Millen2; 12-16-2009, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post

Um the word NO comes to mind.
                  http://www.spox.com/de/sport/ussport...hwartz-514.jpg

"We got our Schwartz tangled"

Comment

That thought of that combo does incite a party in my pants (invitations in the mail), but then our offense becomes the Bears offense: Gun-slinger QB, with so-so running game, and WRs that make Devin Hester look like a #1.

We are essentially the Bears offense right now, plus an all-star reciever. Someone brought up the plugging one hole by making a new one. I would agree, but I would like to solve the DT issue more than have a wideout who sometimes only gets 1 reception per game.

I dunno; I'm torn. I'm a trenches guy, but our QB-> WR combo of the future is gone if we do this.
                    What Would Matt Millen Do?

Comment

No. Absolutely not. The financial commitment would be absurd. We'd have to pay Suh $40 million guaranteed and Berry/Okung $25-$30 million guaranteed. If the cap stays, then we are still on the hook for Calvin's signing bonus.

Comment

As a Jets fan, for someone like Calvin, if it were up to me, I'd offer a 1st, 2nd, future first, Rhodes and either Cotchery or Keller. Probably Cotchery since you guys just drafted a TE in the first round.

Comment

i would prefer the idea of picking up draft picks for next year's draft since that might be a rookie salary cap'd year. we could save 40 million dollars.
                          SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
                          Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                            As a Jets fan, for someone like Calvin, if it were up to me, I'd offer a 1st, 2nd, future first, Rhodes and either Cotchery or Keller. Probably Cotchery since you guys just drafted a TE in the first round.
                            I would do that in a second. That would be trading 5 starters for Calvin. That is a deal that could help the Lions for sure.

I just think there is way more value in extra 1st and 2nd round picks for the Lions right now than Calvin. Also this would help Calvin out by going somewhere where his talents could be better utilized in helping a fringe playoff team reach that upper echelon.

Comment

Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                              I would do that in a heartbeat as well, obviously with Cotchery and not Keller.

I think that our best trading partners would probably come from the NFC East...here are some thoughts:

From Philly: Maclin, '09 1st, '09 2nd, '10 1st
                              From NYG: Steve Smith, Kiwanuka, '09 1st, '09 2nd
                              From Wash: Orakpo, '09 1st, '09 3rd ('09 4th goes back to Wash too)
                              From Dal: Barber, '09 1st, '09 2nd, '10 1st
                              [

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

I'd rather have him for ten years and not worry about finding another #1.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information