Trading Calvin..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SINCE1978 View Post
    I am a die hard Lions fan ... love me some CJ too ... but come on, he is arguably not even the most talented Johnson receiver in the league! ;o) Andre in Houston would have something to say about that, Larry Fitzgerald as well.

Maybe CJ is due to bust out but he has had only 1 solid year statistically, last year and that was on an 0-16 team where plenty of those yds/TD's came in garbage minutes when behind 24-3 playing catch up. Without looking it up name me Andre Johnson #2 & #3 WR's in Houston? They get him the ball. He's productive. I'm just saying ...
    Kevin Walter and Andre Davis. I didn't look it up, did I get it right?

Edit: No, I was wrong. David Anderson is the #3. Walter's a decent #2 IMO though and Owen Daniels is a pro bowl TE.
    Last edited by Crickett; 12-16-2009, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Come on people. This isn't madden. Calvin is worth a 1, 2, 3, picks this year, and that is all.

sig by fenikz
      Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
      You are just a terrible person.
      Originally posted by bigbluedefense
      I have an iPhone.

Comment

If I were the titans I would give

A first, Michael Griffin, a 6th and Eugene Amano.

Originally posted by Jurrell Casey
        I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin

Comment

I am a die hard Lions fan ... love me some CJ too ... but come on, he is arguably not even the most talented Johnson receiver in the league! ;o) Andre in Houston would have something to say about that, Larry Fitzgerald as well.

Maybe CJ is due to bust out but he has had only 1 solid year statistically, last year and that was on an 0-16 team where plenty of those yds/TD's came in garbage minutes when behind 24-3 playing catch up. Without looking it up name me Andre Johnson #2 & #3 WR's in Houston? They get him the ball. He's productive. I'm just saying ...
          I think teams this year just blanket Johnson, there is only so much he can do. Moss has Welker, Fitz has Boldin, I can list others, but are teams worried about Dennis Northcutt, Derrick Williams, Bryant Johnson, Will Heller? Those guys should not be starting for anyone. We have zero offensive weapons right now, Pettigrew was definitely showing a lot of promise but he got hurt. He had a 100+ day against Cincy (one of the better secondaries in the league), and his abilities are shown every once and a while. He's not done like Roy Williams was, I knew watching him leading up to that trade he was turning into garbage.

Comment

I don't see how he isn't as untouchable a player as there is. Young, dynamic and right behind Johnson and Fitzgerald as the best WR in the league. There is really no reason to even consider trading him because the value can never be equal. IMO it would be like the Titans deciding to trade Chris Johnson. The value can't ever be equal to what he is worth.

For people that are even thinking possibly about doing this, what are you on? That could be the Lions' mentality, cause you need great players to succeed, and they don't just come around like that.

Originally posted by bearsfan_51
            Show me your Wang, if you will.

Comment

Originally posted by vikes_29 View Post
              Come on people. This isn't madden. Calvin is worth a 1, 2, 3, picks this year, and that is all.
              Jay Cutler fetched two 1st round picks, a 3rd round pick, and an above average starting quarterback. Cutler plays a much more important position, but Johnson is younger and a better overall player than Jay was at the time. Add into the fact that whatever team trade for Johnson won't have to give him an extension for a few more years and I don't see how you can say he's only worth a one, two, and three. You think the only difference in between Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams is a late 2nd/early 3rd value?

Comment

Originally posted by umphrey View Post
                You would be fools to even consider this. He is the definition of elite. He can make an offense go by himself. Not to mention you'd be leaving Stafford pretty lonely.
                Ya he is really making the offense go this year. If you watch Lions games he drops passes. I have not been enamored with his play this year. Yes that is partly due to the rest of the offense, but he certainly cannot "make it go" by himself.

I don't to trade him, but I feel it is best for the organization to accumulate draft picks. If we could get 4 or 5 starters out of the deal whether they come in the form of picks or young talent I would go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by aNYtitan View Post
                  I don't see how he isn't as untouchable a player as there is. Young, dynamic and right behind Johnson and Fitzgerald as the best WR in the league. There is really no reason to even consider trading him because the value can never be equal. IMO it would be like the Titans deciding to trade Chris Johnson. The value can't ever be equal to what he is worth.

For people that are even thinking possibly about doing this, what are you on? That could be the Lions' mentality, cause you need great players to succeed, and they don't just come around like that.
                  Big difference between Chris Johnson and Calvin Johnson, considering the teams situations. The Titans are already competitive, the Lions are not. The Titans could be a Super Bowl team with three or four more pieces. The Lions could be 7-9 with three or four more pieces. By the time the Lions are competitive, Calvin's contract will be expiring and he'll be ready to move on for more money and a better team.

Comment

We got Randy Moss for a 4th rd pick... sooooo... We'll give you a 3rd 'cause he's younger :D
                    -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

Originally posted by DoWnThEfiElD View Post
                      Ya he is really making the offense go this year. If you watch Lions games he drops passes. I have not been enamored with his play this year. Yes that is partly due to the rest of the offense, but he certainly cannot "make it go" by himself.

I don't to trade him, but I feel it is best for the organization to accumulate draft picks. If we could get 4 or 5 starters out of the deal whether they come in the form of picks or young talent I would go for it.
                      It's like any wide receiver. No matter how great they are, you don't build a team around a receiver. If the Lions looked like they could make it to the playoffs in the next one or two years, then I'd say he's untouchable. However, like you said, if he can get us four or five potential starters than I say go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by P-L View Post
                        Big difference between Chris Johnson and Calvin Johnson, considering the teams situations. The Titans are already competitive, the Lions are not. The Titans could be a Super Bowl team with three or four more pieces. The Lions could be 7-9 with three or four more pieces. By the time the Lions are competitive, Calvin's contract will be expiring and he'll be ready to move on for more money and a better team.
                        True, but how many more years does he still have on his contract? It ain't exactly ending right around this corner, and I'm absolutely positive that if it were down to the final year and no extension were signed, they would still be able to bring in a huge haul for him if thats what you are concerned about.

Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                        Show me your Wang, if you will.

Comment

I think people do not understand how many acquisitions the Lions are away from fielding a team that could potentially be a wild-card. The Lions will not win a division anytime soon. In 2 or 3 years I hope to not be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs by week 13 or 14. Those are realistic hopes for this team in two years.

You can literally count on one hand how many players on this team could start on a playoff caliber team.

I think we could make an interesting trade with Baltimore or Cincinnati. I think they are probably feeling very close to being an elite team, and both could use a deep threat to play to their QBs strengths.
                          Last edited by DoWnThEfiElD; 12-16-2009, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Calvin has all the talent in the world.. But he has his fair share of drops, and he gets injured too damn much. Dare I say, he's a little overrated so far. A lot of that has to do with the Lions, though. The QB situation is just now getting fixed, we still have a poor OL and we haven't had a reliable running game in a decade. By the time we build a competent team, he'll be ready for his big extension.. We're wasting his best years.

No problem with not trading him, but I can understand why they would cash in.

Comment

Most talented is way different then the best WR in the league. Also keep in mind AJ took awhile to blow up.

Everyone loves AJ now but it took him 6 years to reach a season above 1300 yards, you realize Calvin did that in year 2 with crap at QB and a terrible O-line? You pretty much just discredited that fact and gave most of the credit to playing behind and garbage time, so basically any #1 WR on a terrible team should be able to produce those numbers.

AJ also has never gotten double digit TD's before in his career, so that's 7 years in counting. Calvin did that in year 2 also. So while it's easy to say how much better AJ is then Calvin let's really put that into perspective.

You almost have to keep him if you don't get a great deal because you'd be giving a playoff team an elite WR and it would be scary to think what Calvin could do in a better situation. I'm with you guys on improving the team, but getting picks is no rocket science for turning around the team either, Dallas made almost all those picks count in the Herschel Walker trade to reap benefits, same for SD in the Eli deal, blow those picks and the trade blows up in your face too.

And on the subject of drops, Andre is STILL dropping easy passes to this day, that's always been an enigma of his. Even at his elite status he drops way too many passes, the same can't be said for Fitz but this happens weekly for AJ. It's scary to imagine how good Calvin could be in year 6, and yea he'd probably want an extension by the time your good but if you don't have that many good players I don't see how it be that hard to resign him anyway. It's not like you guys have even a DECENT #2 WR to take over, you'd have to rely on the new WR you took to pan out and thus taking away a primary weapon for Stafford and his development which is huge.
                              Last edited by LonghornsLegend; 12-16-2009, 11:27 PM.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

I agree LL, thats why I would probably want a young promising player included in the deal.

I've been trying to think of trade proposals like that but all I could come up was with Arizona for Dockett. :/

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information