The Stanchize

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by P-L View Post
    Yep. Stafford single-handedly won that Cleveland game for us, and I'm not sure we beat Washington with Culpepper at quarterback.
    Hard to see Culpepper leading that 99 yard drive. Especially considering Stafford's 22 yard run was necessary to sustain it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
      They said we need to build the TRENCHES and our D"fense before we drafted a QB.. and that Culpepper could hold us over until we drafted Sam Bradford or Tim Tebow or whoever. Aaron Curry and Jason Smith were supposed to provide immediate help, which is what we needed after an 0-16 season.
      I actually said that as well. I still believe its tough to draft QB first and then get the rest of the pieces. Not many teams in the past 25 years have been able to do that. The only ones that come to mind are Cowboys (Aikman), Indy (Manning), and I thought of one more the other day but its slipping my mind now (maybe it was Carson Palmer?). I definitely wasn't saying "lets wait for McCoy, Tebow, Bradford." I'm not sure those guys are the answer, but its not like last year was our last chance to get a starting QB. Every year it seems like there are one or two guys available in the first round (and usually available when we pick) with the tools to be a good-great NFL QB.

So yes, Stafford looks better than I thought he would be so I'm definitely happy he is in our stable. But I still worry that he could flame out if we don't surround him with protection and talent soon. That was my main concern with drafting him. Yes, part of it was that I thought he might not be worthy of #1 pick which I can definitely say i was dead wrong on that. But my main concern was that I believe QBs have a much better chance to develop if more pieces are in place by the time they are drafted and a much better chance to bust if they are drafted as the first piece. Look how banged up he is in his rookie season. The guy was running for his life half the time and its because we can't protect him or take pressure off him by running the ball consistently.

As far as Smith and Curry...jury is still out on them. I was mostly going off of highlights and scouting reports on them. Curry was noted as the "best player in the draft" ranking wise by a lot of scouts and was drawing comparisons to a lot of good LBs in the league. Doesn't look like the scouting reports were right but time may tell. Smith ... I haven't seen play yet (missed the Rams game and not sure if he was even healthy).

Anyway, none of that will change; its all in the past. On to 2010. I do sincerely hope we can build the trenches.

Tampa Bay beat New Orleans. Amazing. Definitely looks like we are going to be drafting #2.

Comment

The Detroit talk radio guys were reallly ripping into Stanton yesterday and I don't think he deserved such harsh criticism. Seriously what did you expect him to do? This guy was making his first career start with no offensive line, no TE, one WR, and a decent RB. Even Drew Stanton can't make a picasso with a big pile of crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
          The Detroit talk radio guys were reallly ripping into Stanton yesterday and I don't think he deserved such harsh criticism. Seriously what did you expect him to do? This guy was making his first career start with no offensive line, no TE, one WR, and a decent RB. Even Drew Stanton can't make a picasso with a big pile of crap.
          even Picasso needed two toy cars to make a masterpiece, after all.

but that factoid aside, this season is (yet another disaster) let's just draft Suh and be a little less horrible next year.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
          don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Working...
          X

Debug Information