According to 97.1 Lions might be interested in Haynesworth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Addict View Post
    I don't mind trading for Haynesworth, but it's no reason not to take Suh or McCoy.

Okung is not an elite prospect at OT guys, I hate to keep mentioning this. We're better off drafting Suh/Saffold (just throwing a name out) than go Okung and some bum. Okung is the top guy in the OT class, but he's no Jake Long or Joe Thomas. He's not a spectacular prospect.

And yes, we need elite players in the worst way, especially on our D-line.
    I agree completely, I just don't want to end up stacking tons of money on the dline. I would love to see what a Suh/Haynesworth line would look like though.
    "You see that foundation right there, now there's termites living there and they live there every day an you don't see them until you start losing. And when you lose they start crawling out. Now what we'll do is when they crawl out we'll get there names and remember their faces so when we start winning again we'll know who we can trust"

-Bo Schembechler

Comment

Its not going to happen, now, as you were.

Sig by Bone Krusher

Comment

Originally posted by Silver & Blue View Post
        I agree completely, I just don't want to end up stacking tons of money on the dline. I would love to see what a Suh/Haynesworth line would look like though.
        fair enough, although Haynesworth's contract isn't that big anymore. All the big roster bonusses that pushed his numbers through the roof have been paid by the skins.

Originally posted by frubulubu View Post
        Its not going to happen, now, as you were.
        lol don't worry nobody's actually expecting it, we're just talkin'

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
        don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Lions interest will hinge on how much the redskins want in compensation dollars wise.

Okung + Haynesworth >>>>>>>>>>>> Suh and anyone we are likely to get in the 2nd round at any position.

If we can pull off a trade for Haynesworth for a 2nd I'd be all for it if the Schwartz signs off on it. He is 28 so he is reaching his prime. If we wanted to win now or in the next 4 years it still makes sense. If it is a 2nd and 2011 2nd it would work as well IMO. But I think the Skins would ask for a swap of 1sts and a 2nd this year. Now I'm hesitant.
          Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
          oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Comment

fair enough, although Haynesworth's contract isn't that big anymore. All the big roster bonusses that pushed his numbers through the roof have been paid by the skins.
            Well according to the mlive article it seems if Washington does end up trading him then the team that acquires him will have to pay some of the recent bonus he just got.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...t_in_albe.html

EDIT: @broth223 You beat me to it.
            Last edited by Silver & Blue; 04-07-2010, 06:03 PM.
            "You see that foundation right there, now there's termites living there and they live there every day an you don't see them until you start losing. And when you lose they start crawling out. Now what we'll do is when they crawl out we'll get there names and remember their faces so when we start winning again we'll know who we can trust"

-Bo Schembechler

Comment

Haynesworth as a NT and McCoy as a UT would be pretty sexy in a 4-3, add in Williams to keep the rotation fresh and I love the look of that. Haynesworth or not I'd still go Suh or McCoy at #2, guys are too good to pass up if you have the chance to get one.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                Haynesworth as a NT and McCoy as a UT would be pretty sexy in a 4-3, add in Williams to keep the rotation fresh and I love the look of that. Haynesworth or not I'd still go Suh or McCoy at #2, guys are too good to pass up if you have the chance to get one.
                Thats what im saying, therefore you have a defensive line that looks like this:

Avril...Suh...Haynesworth...Vanden Bosch

or on passing downs

Suh...Williams...Haynesworth..Avril

and if our main guys get tired

Hunter...Williams...Hill...Vanden Bosch

That would be an incredible rotation of talented players and there wouldnt be a team who could run the ball against us

Comment

I don't mind trading for Haynesworth, but it's no reason not to take Suh or McCoy.
                  Seriously? How many DTs do you need? We have Williams who is not really a backup, Hill who is coming into his own. Haynesworth (assuming a trade) who was a pro bowler a year ago. Then you want to draft Suh/McCoy on top of that? Are you nuts?

Okung is not an elite prospect at OT guys, I hate to keep mentioning this. We're better off drafting Suh/Saffold (just throwing a name out) than go Okung and some bum. Okung is the top guy in the OT class, but he's no Jake Long or Joe Thomas. He's not a spectacular prospect.

Okung has 0 holes in his game and exactly who is this "Some bum" you always refer to? There isn't a position that is such an epic need for us that we HAVE to take a guy in round 2 assuming we go Okung in 1. Specially if we get Haynesworth. So I don't really get it.
                  Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
                  oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Comment

lol, i laugh at the weak ass williams wall. only 2 DTs! we're going to have to run a 5-2 and hill would still be on the bench for rotation.
                    SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
                    Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

Honestly, if the Lions wanted to they could go Okung in the 1st and Brian Price in the 2nd.

Comment

I totally agree. Okung is a very good player, but he's not a great player. He's the product of a weak offensive tackle class. I was not real high on Jason Smith last year, but I think Smith would still grade ahead of Okung this year. You don't draft a guy strictly based on need. That is why Matt Millen failed here.

There are plenty of ways of protecting your franchise quarterback that don't involve passing on an elite talent like Ndamukong Suh. Some have already been mentioned in this thread. First of all, you can upgrade other positions on the offensive line. We've done that already. Even if Rob Sims isn't a great run blocker, he's one of the better pass blocking guards in the league. Last season Jeff Backus was forced to overcompensate because of the turnstile we had at left guard, and still had a pretty good season. Playing next to a great pass blocker like Sims could elevate his already improved play. Secondly, you can improve the defense and running game. Improving the defense will limit the amount of points you give up, thus giving the offense more chances to establish the running game.

Comment

Originally posted by P-L View Post
                          I totally agree. Okung is a very good player, but he's not a great player. He's the product of a weak offensive tackle class. I was not real high on Jason Smith last year, but I think Smith would still grade ahead of Okung this year. You don't draft a guy strictly based on need. That is why Matt Millen failed here.

There are plenty of ways of protecting your franchise quarterback that don't involve passing on an elite talent like Ndamukong Suh. Some have already been mentioned in this thread. First of all, you can upgrade other positions on the offensive line. We've done that already. Even if Rob Sims isn't a great run blocker, he's one of the better pass blocking guards in the league. Last season Jeff Backus was forced to overcompensate because of the turnstile we had at left guard, and still had a pretty good season. Playing next to a great pass blocker like Sims could elevate his already improved play. Secondly, you can improve the defense and running game. Improving the defense will limit the amount of points you give up, thus giving the offense more chances to establish the running game.
                          Your points are excellent on multiple ways to "protect" the franchise QB. In addition we get a healthy "run blocking beast" of a TE back in year 2 in BP.

The radio station mentioned that Jason Smith last year & Okung this year both come from a college spread offense & that does not always fit into an NFL style of play. Maybe it is nit picking but it is one more factoid to consider which GM's weigh on every pick ... especially when considering the $$ going into the #2 overall as it stands. A LT better known for his run blockng (Backus) & a LG better known for his pass blocking (Sims) on paper already improves the leftside.

In addition, I feel the LT's in this draft are interchangeable (Okung,Williams,Bulaga,Campbell,Davis) so the only way I see us NOT taking Suh @ #2 is if we trade back to the 6-10 range, get the LT & acquire additional pick(s). I still vote for Suh then a RB & CB, S as our needs in the draft.

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information