No announcement yet.

Michigan Wolverines Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm willing to give Rich Rod some more time, he has a higher ceiling than Miles in my opinion. That said, I would've like to have kept the bowl streak alive.

Comment

• With all the theatrics we had to go through to get RichRod, I was pretty down on this hiring from the start. Our season performance didn't do anything to improve those sentiments.

We should have hired a promising young coach like many of us wanted if Miles wasn't available.
      R.I.P. L.E.F.
      "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
        With all the theatrics we had to go through to get RichRod, I was pretty down on this hiring from the start. Our season performance didn't do anything to improve those sentiments.

We should have hired a promising young coach like many of us wanted if Miles wasn't available.
        Rich is a promising young coach, he is over 10 years younger than Miles. I was thrilled with the hire and I am still willing to give him until Year 3 to get us back into NC contention.

Comment

• Originally posted by CC View Post
          Rich is a promising young coach, he is over 10 years younger than Miles. I was thrilled with the hire and I am still willing to give him until Year 3 to get us back into NC contention.
          I don't really see why age matters here. It's not like Les Miles was over the hill.

There are a lot of promising young coaches that wouldn't have coached us to an 8 (and likely 9) loss season this year.
          R.I.P. L.E.F.

Comment

We'd have won 8 games easily with Les Miles, even if Mallett still transferred.

Hell, we would have won 8 games with Brady Hoke.
            Oh really? Do tell me how so. Was it the vast experience that was coming back at QB? Or maybe WR? Or it's gotta be the OL. Or maybe Brady Hoke or Les Miles could somehow teach John Thompson, Jonas Mouton, Steve Brown, Brandon Harrison and Morgan Trent to be good at football? I know! It's gotta be Rich Rodriguez's fault that his guys are fumbling punts and kickoffs. Blame Rich Rod! Fire Rich Rod! Fire everybody!

Jesus Christ Xio, you're smarter than this, and you're going to look like a major ******* dumbass when the spread is carving **** up in the Big 10.

Comment

• Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post
              Oh really? Do tell me how so. Was it the vast experience that was coming back at QB? Or maybe WR? Or it's gotta be the OL. Or maybe Brady Hoke or Les Miles could somehow teach John Thompson, Jonas Mouton, Steve Brown, Brandon Harrison and Morgan Trent to be good at football? I know! It's gotta be Rich Rodriguez's fault that his guys are fumbling punts and kickoffs. Blame Rich Rod! Fire Rich Rod! Fire everybody!

Jesus Christ Xio, you're smarter than this, and you're going to look like a major ******* dumbass when the spread is carving **** up in the Big 10.
              Mallett would have stayed with a coach running a Pro Style offense. Everything starts with that opinion. Not to mention you'd have Threet and Sheridan in an offense they were probably more comfortable in from the start.

Manningham and/or Arrington may have stayed in school, and Matthews has regressed because he's in an offense not well suited for him. And all those big WR's we've recruited over the years are pretty much useless running bubble screens every third play.

On the O-Line, Boren might not have transferred, and if I recall, a couple other experienced O-Lineman left either directly or indirectly as a result of RichRod.

RichRod is the reason we're playing so many inexperienced, fumble-prone freshman. So many of the upperclassmen just don't fit RichRod's schemes because they were all recruited for something much different.

And I don't blame just RichRod. This defensive coordinator should be having more success with a defense full of guys that are future NFL players. Jamison, Taylor, Graham, Trent (love him or hate him), and Warren for sure. Even you have to admit that the defense was a huge disappointment. We returned all put a couple starters there.

And what the hell is up with having Mesko punt the ball soccer style?

Now enough personal bashing of me already. I'm entitled to my opinion, and as we argued a couple pages ago, I'm not calling for RichRod to go. If you go far enough back in this thread to before the season started, you will see that my opinion of this hiring is not an in-season development. I didn't like the hiring from the start. I hate the spread offense, and by the time Michigan is running it successfully, it will probably be obsolete. Half the teams in the country run it now. People are learning to defend it much better.
              R.I.P. L.E.F.

Comment

• I'm also gonna have a serious problem with any coach who can't get his team to muster up more than 10 points to beat TOLEDO!

That loss was worse than App St.
                R.I.P. L.E.F.

Comment

• bring back brady hoke...
                  SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
                  Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

Mallett would have stayed with a coach running a Pro Style offense. Everything starts with that opinion. Not to mention you'd have Threet and Sheridan in an offense they were probably more comfortable in from the start.
                    Playing in the shotgun is an advantage for a young QB. It gives him a better chance to read the defense and understand what's going on .

Manningham and/or Arrington may have stayed in school, and Matthews has regressed because he's in an offense not well suited for him. And all those big WR's we've recruited over the years are pretty much useless running bubble screens every third play.
                    Manningham was a goner from the moment he caught that touchdown against PSU as a freshman. Don't kid yourself. Arrington might have left either way after that big game against Florida. Mathews sucks. Always has, and likely always will.

On the O-Line, Boren might not have transferred, and if I recall, a couple other experienced O-Lineman left either directly or indirectly as a result of RichRod.
                    Boren? Who gives a ****? If he's that angry that he can't leave conditioning to go shovel snow with his pops, then get the **** out. Yes, that was a huge part of why he left. Other than that, I'm not just saying this because of "sour grapes", the kid really was not that good. Was he better than Molk? Well, yes, of course. Is he that good that he compensates for an extra win or two? **** no.

Alex Mitchell and Zac Ciulla were both useless. Alex Mitchell was nearing 400 pounds and left because he was actually going to have to run and not just eat all day. Ciulla hadn't beaten out anyone.

RichRod is the reason we're playing so many inexperienced, fumble-prone freshman. So many of the upperclassmen just don't fit RichRod's schemes because they were all recruited for something much different.
                    Really? Because some of the biggest fumbles this year have come from Brandon Minor, Greg Mathews, Morgan Trent and Donovan Warren. Yes, guys like Odoms, McGuffie (Carr commit) and Cissoko (Carr commit) have had fumbles, but to blame it all on Rodriguez is ridiculous.

And I don't blame just RichRod. This defensive coordinator should be having more success with a defense full of guys that are future NFL players. Jamison, Taylor, Graham, Trent (love him or hate him), and Warren for sure. Even you have to admit that the defense was a huge disappointment.
                    Obviously. But returning a starter doesn't mean dick if he's not good. Steve Brown sucked under Carr, was a returning starter, and sucks under Shafer/Rodriguez. Same with Charles Stewart, Brandon Harrison, Morgan Trent Jonas Mouton, Obi Ezeh (sometimes), John Thompson, Tim Jamison (sometimes) and Will Johnson (sometimes). His best cover guy (Warren) has been hobbled all year, and he's playing a 5'8" freshman CB at nickel.

We returned all put a couple starters there.
                    Again, returning does not equal good. Pretty much everyone's a freshman when it comes to a new scheme.

And what the hell is up with having Mesko punt the ball soccer style?
                    Who cares? Mesko is a semifinalist for the Ray Guy award and arguably the top punter in the Big 10. How he does it, I don't care.

I hate the spread offense, and by the time Michigan is running it successfully, it will probably be obsolete. Half the teams in the country run it now. People are learning to defend it much better.
                    They're learning to defend it so well that at least eight of the top 10 scoring offenses in the country (I'm not sure about Rice and Arizona) employ some version of the spread. Florida sure looked crappy running the spread yesterday

Comment

• Sounds like McGuffie is all but transferred...

Comment

• I think a lot of people would disagree with you on Manningham.

I don't think he aspired to be a 3rd round draft pick since he was a freshman. He had to know he wouldn't be drafted too high.

Arrington definitely would have stayed.
                        R.I.P. L.E.F.

Comment

Sounds like McGuffie is all but transferred...
                          Link? Source?

If so, that is seriously depressing.
                          R.I.P. L.E.F.

Comment

I think a lot of people would disagree with you on Manningham.

I don't think he aspired to be a 3rd round draft pick since he was a freshman. He had to know he wouldn't be drafted too high.

Arrington definitely would have stayed.
                            When he came out, he was told by the Advisory Board he was a likely first rounder. This was before the pot issues came to light and the 4.6 40 time.

Comment

Link? Source?

If so, that is seriously depressing.
                              http://umgoblue.com/aspplay/Fred-Jac...ie-m78067.aspx

Comment

When he came out, he was told by the Advisory Board he was a likely first rounder. This was before the pot issues came to light and the 4.6 40 time.
                                Perhaps, but no decision was made until after RichRod came to town. Most guys declare they are going Pro right away.

I remember all this talk at the time of RichRod's hiring that he did not reach out to Mario and Arrington and make it be known how they were gonna be utilized.

No player wants to learn a new system for his final year of eligibility.
                                R.I.P. L.E.F.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information