Michigan Wolverines Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
    Perhaps, but no decision was made until after RichRod came to town. Most guys declare they are going Pro right away.

I remember all this talk at the time of RichRod's hiring that he did not reach out to Mario and Arrington and make it be known how they were gonna be utilized.

No player wants to learn a new system for his final year of eligibility.
    He got his grade after the Cap One Bowl.

Comment

• Sniper, isn't this growing trend of guys leaving Michigan at all concerning to you?

Before this year, I can remember just 3 guys of any significance to leave the program in the decade prior. Shazor and Branch left after their Junior years, and Justin Fargas transferred. Henson doesn't count since he left to play a different sport.

Our good recruiting classes are being neutralized by the mass exodus of talent in ways other than graduation.
      R.I.P. L.E.F.
      "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

Sniper, isn't this growing trend of guys leaving Michigan at all concerning to you?
        No. If they don't want to play, go.

Our good recruiting classes are being neutralized by the mass exodus of talent in ways other than graduation.
        The recruits know what they're getting into.

Comment

• Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post
          No. If they don't want to play, go.

The recruits know what they're getting into.
          And McGuffie? Sure he was wavering in his decision to come here once Lloyd retired, but it didn't take long for him to change his mind, despite some good success for a true freshman.

If he doesn't wanna play here after getting significant playing time as a freshman then that raises some red flags.
          R.I.P. L.E.F.

Comment

And McGuffie? Sure he was wavering in his decision to come here once Lloyd retired, but it didn't take long for him to change his mind, despite some good success for a true freshman.

If he doesn't wanna play here after getting significant playing time as a freshman then that raises some red flags.
            Oh well. Maybe when he transfers, he'll learn to deal with contact and not go down after being breathed on. I love McGuffie, but he needs to learn to break tackles.

Comment

• I don't think it's a done deal that McGuffie is transferring. He's actually been banged up.

Comment

Oh well. Maybe when he transfers, he'll learn to deal with contact and not go down after being breathed on. I love McGuffie, but he needs to learn to break tackles.
                He's a freshman. There's a lot of room to improve in that area.

I just don't agree with your "who cares? let him go" attitude. If we had equivalent talent for the future that would be one thing, but McGuffie actually seemed like he could play in this offensive system.

Who is our future at RB once Minor and Brown are gone after next year? Shaw looks no better than McGuffie at breaking tackles, IMO.
                R.I.P. L.E.F.

Comment

Who is our future at RB once Minor and Brown are gone next year? Shaw looks no better than McGuffie at breaking tackles, IMO.
                  Vincent Smith, Fitzgerald Toussaint, and Shaw. Michael Shaw is significantly better than McGuffie at breaking tackles.

Comment

Vincent Smith, Fitzgerald Toussaint, and Shaw. Michael Shaw is significantly better than McGuffie at breaking tackles.
                    Perhaps on Shaw, but overall I like McGuffie much better.

As far as those incoming RB recruits, obviously we don't know what they'll ultimately bring, but we're just one more year from a fully-functional RichRod spread offense if we lose the RB who got the majority of the carries this season in McGuffie.

We'll be relying heavily on incoming freshman again next season. That's not a recipe for success anytime soon.
                    R.I.P. L.E.F.

Comment

• I'll say this. I didn't like the talk of hiring RichRod before he was hired. I didn't like it once it happened, and I don't like it now. It's probably just the fact I hate the spread option offense and the 3-3-5 (I'm sorry Sniper, but I don't know how you can possibly like this defense.)

A couple points. One, the assistants a head coach brings in have to reflect on him at least a little. Our defense is awful, that at least has to reflect on Rod somewhat. Say what you will about how badly they've played, this defense isn't that much different(other than the horrid safeties. Jamar Adams was so underrated) than the one that was at least decent last season in terms of personnel. Personally, I actually like Mouton as a WILL, but maybe that's just me. Certainly many of them have underachieved, but that's got to be at least partially a function of coaching as well.

Two, While I didn't like the hiring, I'm willing to give Rod this season. But if we don't at least make a bowl next year, I have to wonder what's going on. And to be honest, I don't see a vast improvement in store. I've seen people saying Graham will opt for the draft because he won't want to play for a 6-6 team. I think 6-6 is being wildly optimistic. Let's really think about this. We're talking about This team being so young and/or inexperienced. But how much more experience will they have next year? Say Graham does stay. That still leaves three starters leaving off the D-Line. Now I really like Martin, but he'll still be a soph with limited playing time, as will the other two new starters. The LB's may be experienced if we have the same starters, but if we're saying they aren't that good, then I guess we'll be looking at more inexperience. Corners should be good. But safeties? Either more suckage or inexperience. Not to mention we'll hopefully have a new D Coordinator next season. At least defensively, does that sound like a 6-6 team?

Offensively, at QB we either have guys that are so called "not D1 QB's" or inexperience. RB at least we should have some experience, although no one seems to be able to hold onto the ball anyway. The O Line is horrid, and likely will be again. The WR's are more inexperience. Again, combine both offense and defense, and even 6-6 might be stretching it.

Now let's talk about this 3-3-5. Literally, I would rather play just about any other defense as a base defense, including a nickle or heavy nickle(extra safety instead of CB) than a base 3-3-5. Not that we have used it as a base, I jst don't know how anyone can like this defense. I'll give you an example. Playing a straight 4-3 defense. Offense lines up in 21 personnel (2 backs, 1 TE) Run play to the strong side (really doesn't matter where, but let's say off tackle. First off, the backside safety should be dropping down into the box when he sees 21. When the ball's snapped the line should be trying to get penetration, and eating up blocks. The SAM should be playing off the outside shoulder of the TE to keep contain. The Mike's key is the fullback, and he should be running with him, the WILL is the run and hit guy, and he should be moving with the MIKE. The Mike needs to take on the fullback in the hole, and take him with his inside shoulder, keeping his outside shoulder free, and getting his head on the outside of the FB. If the RB goes outside the MIKE, he can disengage and make the tackle, but he's trying to force him back to the WILL, who should be free to make the tackle on the cutback. Even if he overruns, the offside safety should be there to handle the cutback. Simple enough.

Now the 3-3-5. Same formation for the offense. Now I admit I don't know all the 3-3-5 principles, so this is just my basic understanding of it. The line HAS to eat up blocks or you get guards on LB's. The SAM still has to stay outside the TE, unless he just runs him off to the sidelines. Most likely you'll be getting a guard out on your MIKE, meaning that the WILL has to take on the FB and hope that the backside safety, that's the last line of defense, can handle the cutback. That's alot of mismatches for me, and unless the 3 man line eats up every block on the line, you have a guard or centre getting to the second level right away. We're also not talking about the same type of LB's you'd have in a 3-4. 3-3-5 backers should be akin to 4-3 backers. These guys won't necessarily be great at shedding blocks, which they will have to do. Now obviously that's only one example. But it seems to me that the 3-3-5 is a defense where absolutely everything has to go right for it to be effective. I don't know, I'm just not a fan of it at all. I'd rather see a heavy nickle as a base than the 3-3-5.

Originally posted by Jakey
                      WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

• Iron, before I read the whole thing, I don't like the 3-3-5 when you have 3 crappy LBs, 4 crappy DBs, and the strength of the team is the DL.

Comment

Iron, before I read the whole thing, I don't like the 3-3-5 when you have 3 crappy LBs, 4 crappy DBs, and the strength of the team is the DL.
                          Agreed, but I mean, it's college football. Are you ever going to have 3 stud LB's, 3 stud DLine guys that also fit the 3 man line mold, and 5 stud DB's? I just think the 4-3 covers up more deficiencies if you have a couple stud players, while I think the 3-3-5 exposes more deficiencies even with a couple stud players.

Comment

• I read the post, but am too lazy to respond to everything. I think that with 11 starters returning on O and four on D, the team should be about 6-6. The youth of this team got experienced a lot quicker than they should have, but that's a good thing now.

Even giants have to struggle sometimes.

Comment

I read the post, but am too lazy to respond to everything. I think that with 11 starters returning on O and four on D, the team should be about 6-6. The youth of this team got experienced a lot quicker than they should have, but that's a good thing now.

Even giants have to struggle sometimes.
                              Do you really think there will be 11 returning starters on O though? I have a feeling that, if he can find them, Rod may go with guys that fit his system better rather than experience, however little that experience may be. Say he decides to go with a freshman QB, which I feel would probably be a mistake. Would you still think we'd go 6-6? Is the line really going to improve that much? Will the fumbles suddenly go away? I'm not so sure honestly. Unfortunately, I think 6-6 and a bowl may be a goal to shoot for next year, rather than a low point.

Comment

• Good reasoning Ironman. The defense only stands to get worse, and the offense will stay the same.

And though he missed that kick vs. Toldeo, losing K.C. Lopata will hurt too.
                                R.I.P. L.E.F.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information