No announcement yet.

2011 Draft Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Brandon Harris rises up the draft boards then a trade up shouldn't be necessary. However, I'm surprised you guys wouldn't be willing to give up a 2nd rd pick for a real NFL ready shutdown CB. Maybe would only have to give up a 3rd if a team REALLY wanted to move back. There will be a rookie wage scale in the new CBA so drafting in the top 10 shouldn't be such a financial burden anymore. IMO we can afford to do it. This team really doesn't have too many holes on it. I think Mayhew will be considering it come draft day.
    Last edited by cotts1; 02-08-2011, 01:17 PM.

Comment

• http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...rince_amu.html

Wes Bunting is not the end all be all of draft guru's, but very interesting stuff in here on Prince Amukamara in particular this ...

If I'm taking a corner in the top 10," Bunting explained, "he better be able to one, either re-route receivers off the line, or vertically turn and run with them consistently, and that's something Prince struggles to do.

... thoughts?

Comment

• One thing to remember is that the BPA approach never literally means you always take the top guy on your board. With the exception of the top "blue chippers", there are always a group of players with identical or nearly identical grades. You can look to Mayhew's most recent comments as evidence. At #13 there will range from a couple to a handful of players with basically the same position on the draft board and they'll take the one that fits their team needs the best.

The Cam Newton example is a good one because clearly the Lions would never pick him. They also wouldn't pass on a guy at some position and reach for a guy at some position. If there is a RB who is clearly the #1 player on their board, with no one else close, they'd probably still take him, especially in the later rounds. I think there are only 3 positions the Lions will completely ignore unless it's the most ridiculous steal: QB, TE, and DT [I mean a pure DT with no versatility].

On another note, I wouldn't personally be happy if we traded up for a CB. CB is a big need, but it is not our top need. We have two CBs on the roster [assuming Houston stays] who are good enough to start. We have zero OLBs. Trading up to get a CB, which is clearly our #2 need, would almost assuredly force us to give up on getting a player at our #1 need, which also happens to be a position with zero starters. So trading up could very possibly produce a scenario where we enter the season with exactly the same starting LBs we have right now...which is horrific to even think about.

We need our 2nd day picks badly, this year. Now if that trade-up included 2nd-rounder a pick from next year instead, it would be much more palatable, but we can't afford to give up our 2nd this year. If we're really lucky we'll be able to drop a few spots for a 3rd rounder and really fill up on some talent.

As for the Amukamara stuff, everything Bunting said has been well-known about Prince for some time. He was not thrown at too much and knows how to play. He also has only been playing the position for a short time, so his upside is high. His speed will be what makes the difference. If he doesn't have enough of it, he'll struggle as a shut-down guy in the NFL. We don't know what he'll run. If runs anywhere in the 4.4's, then the right coaching will make him a star. If he runs over 4.5, then he'll struggle in pure man schemes and may follow the Malcolm Jenkins path. We have to wait and see.

Harris is a guy I've really liked from the beginning when I first started reviewing draftable players during the last month of the season. I agree with what Bunting said to a "T". He'll probably run faster than you expect and he's a very aggressive CB. I think he fits what our coaches want just a tiny bit better than Amukamara, but if Harris doesn't run fast enough they won't reach.

Comment

• Trading up for PA is a stretch, but if PP falls a little to say 5-6, I would love a trade up for him.

Comment

• I would give our second for PP but we would have to give up more than that most likely so I dont see it happening. THe best move is to stay at 13 and Take BPA at CB, DE, OLB. I still feel as if our interior line is not good enough to look at a RB there especially since we took best last year and ingram wouldnt even be our franchise RB.

The fact is we have a lot of holes and we arent really in a position to give away our top 4 picks to move up

Comment

• One thing to remember is that the BPA approach never literally means you always take the top guy on your board. With the exception of the top "blue chippers", there are always a group of players with identical or nearly identical grades. You can look to Mayhew's most recent comments as evidence. At #13 there will range from a couple to a handful of players with basically the same position on the draft board and they'll take the one that fits their team needs the best.

At last, somebody understands what BPA actually means.
              And proud of it!!!

Comment

• Mayhew gave an interview recently ... that guy rarely speaks to the press.

Comment

• Scott Wright has Detroit taking ... um ... Tyron Smith, LT USC in his latest mock draft.

No thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by SINCE1978 View Post
                    Scott Wright has Detroit taking ... um ... Tyron Smith, LT USC in his latest mock draft.

No thank you.
                    Yeah I don't want him either. Didn't he play at RT for USC? If we are going to pick someone for the LT spot then LT better be their natural position. At this point I think we should either trade up(maybe for Peterson) or trade down. There just really isn't anybody that I like at the 13th pick.
                    "You see that foundation right there, now there's termites living there and they live there every day an you don't see them until you start losing. And when you lose they start crawling out. Now what we'll do is when they crawl out we'll get there names and remember their faces so when we start winning again we'll know who we can trust"

-Bo Schembechler

Comment

• Originally posted by SINCE1978 View Post
                      Scott Wright has Detroit taking ... um ... Tyron Smith, LT USC in his latest mock draft.

No thank you.
                      Yeah I don't think so either.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• I just don't understand why a team that could be in the hunt for a playoff spot with a good off-season, would use their first round pick on a guy who would sit on the bench all of next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by P-L View Post
                          I just don't understand why a team that could be in the hunt for a playoff spot with a good off-season, would use their first round pick on a guy who would sit on the bench all of next year.
                          Great point! Unless Backus gets injured, he is the starting LT in camp for Detroit. For better or worse.

Let's not forget about the 2010 4th round Tackle draft pick Jason Fox. Who is rumored to be 100% healthy now & bigger/stronger. With a year of the NFL learning curve under his belt (ie the bench) he is at least going to get a shot to be Backus's replacement.

A former RT that weighs in at 280 ... ugha! This is an average LT class to begin with ... Not the year to pass on an impact defender with that #13 selection.

Comment

• I don't like the pick or the write up for it.

Comment

• Quinn(never know) > Kerrigan ≥ Ayers > Tyron at #13
                              SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
                              Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

• Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
                                I don't like the pick or the write up for it.
                                Me neither, hell I'd rather trade up three spots and go get AJ Green before any LT in this years draft.

I still think going D-Line, or Harris / Prince would be our best way to go

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information