2011 Draft Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
    Again, I'll reiterate, WR's like Young in a worse case scenario, open up the passing lanes for their teammates even if they have mediocre stats and I'm not saying Young will have mediocre stats. They are invaluable on an offense.
    Watch how open NO's WR's get because teams have to account for Reggie Bush on passing downs. I've heard a # of former NFL HC's on NFLN, talk about how when they had to game plan for NO, Reggie Bush was the focus of their attention, on how they were going to defend NO's passing attack. People get caught up in stats and often don't recognize other aspects of a player's abilities when talking about players.
    I strongly believe Young will be one of those players who has to be accounted for on every play opening up the passing lanes for Johnson. Johnson is going to love this guy for what he will do to opponents pass defense.
    I recognize that you believe in this as well, but you weren't mentioning it here.
    Seriously New Orleans? You are going there with an offensive comparison to Detroit/TD Young?! I understand how THEY utilize Bush, but THE offensvie guru in football in Sean Payton calling plays with Drew Brees chucking the ball around the yard ... & you are comparing a guy who played ball at Boise State (who has yet to play in the league) to Reggie Bush? Even if Stafford can get 100% he is not Brees (yet) & Scott "vanilla" Linehan calling plays (only in my dreams) would look like what Payton is doing in NO's.
    A rising tide raises all ships ... got that, Bush's skills set does as much for his teamates as the crafty play calling or the QB or the talented WR's they have. But Titus Young is only 175 lbs & only a 4.5 guy .. it's not like he can not be be jammed at the los (he's a bean pole!) or caught if he makes a move (most CB's also run 4.4 - 4.6 40's) not to mention he played sub par competition week in & week out on the blue turf in Idaho. Would he have looked that dyanmic in the SEC? Bush was on a team that took on all comers who won the NC, he took home the Heisman, he played in the Pac 10 etc. Titus Young has big shoes to fill. I know he talks a big game, we'll see.

I know what you want to see but really is that the same comparison? If any player is Detorit's poor man's Reggie Bush it's now Jahvid Best.
    Last edited by SINCE1978; 05-03-2011, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SINCE1978 View Post
      Seriously New Orleans? You are going there with an offensive comparison to Detroit/TD Young?! I understand how THEY utilize Bush, but THE offensvie guru in football in Sean Payton calling plays with Drew Brees chucking the ball around the yard ... & you are comparing a guy who played ball at Boise State (who has yet to play in the league) to Reggie Bush? Even if Stafford can get 100% he is not Brees (yet) & Scott "vanilla" Linehan calling plays (only in my dreams) would look like what Payton is doing in NO's.
      A rising tide raises all ships ... got that, Bush's skills set does as much for his teamates as the crafty play calling or the QB or the talented WR's they have. But Titus Young is only 175 lbs & only a 4.5 guy .. it's not like he can not be be jammed at the los (he's a bean pole!) or caught if he makes a move (most CB's also run 4.4 - 4.6 40's) not to mention he played sub par competition week in & week out on the blue turf in Idaho. Would he have looked that dyanmic in the SEC? Bush was on a team that took on all comers who won the NC, he took home the Heisman, he played in the Pac 10 etc. Titus Young has big shoes to fill. I know he talks a big game, we'll see.

I know what you want to see but really is that the same comparison? If any player is Detorit's poor man's Reggie Bush it's now Jahvid Best.
      It depends on whose judgment you believe, Mayock called him a poor man's DeSean Jackson, a prospect, who is an excellent route runner with great hands. His a 1st round talent who fell to round 2 like DeSean because of his size. I don't care where he played, that is what the post season decides and in the post season, this guy stood out.
      I think Detroit's offense can approach NO's, of course, Stafford has to stay healthy but all the weapons are in place.
      Last year, I saw real glimpses of an offense with tremendous potential even with Hill at QB and Best injured, this year should be even better with Stafford and a healthy Best.
      Sure, by the following season, the OL may have to be rebuilt because of age and or retirement but the pieces are in place for something special IMO for this coming season.
      I even expect a vastly improved defense because our DL should be another monster, taking a lot of pressure off of our LB's and DB's.
      I say I'm expecting an 8-8 season but if health goes our way, we could potentially go even higher and this draft could provide the extra pieces to put it together.
      And proud of it!!!

Comment

• Young reminds me of a young, 10 lbs underfed Chad Ochocinco. He's a deep threat who will beat you with speed and technique, but not necessarily super speed. He also is highly entertaining and we will have 3 years before he realizes how good he really is.

We have depth for our scheme. Our offense could be great with Shaun Hill leading it, let alone Stafford. Our defense is driven by the line play and we have made changes to help next to Delmas. I seriously do think that we can just bully people with a manlier version of the Colts. We will score points, force other teams into the hole, then unleash Suh, Fairley, Williams, Avril, KVB, etc. The combo of Stafford and Shaun Hill will determine our team's success. Avoid mistakes, run the score up, and we should be good.
        SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
        Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

• Here are the draft picks viewed by NFL writer Rick Gosselin as the best values in each round:

First round - NICK FAIRLEY, DT, DETROIT: The Lions had a choice between DTs Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy with the second overall pick in 2010. They took Suh. Fairley is better than McCoy, and the Lions got him at 13. A dynamic pass rusher.

Wow, One man's opinion ... but the only man I saw that actually mocked Fairley to Detroit @ 13.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prowler View Post
            Young reminds me of a young, 10 lbs underfed Chad Ochocinco. He's a deep threat who will beat you with speed and technique, but not necessarily super speed. He also is highly entertaining and we will have 3 years before he realizes how good he really is.

We have depth for our scheme. Our offense could be great with Shaun Hill leading it, let alone Stafford. Our defense is driven by the line play and we have made changes to help next to Delmas. I seriously do think that we can just bully people with a manlier version of the Colts. We will score points, force other teams into the hole, then unleash Suh, Fairley, Williams, Avril, KVB, etc. The combo of Stafford and Shaun Hill will determine our team's success. Avoid mistakes, run the score up, and we should be good.
            Much better comparison than Reggie Bush.

Comment

• Lions made a play for Patrick Peterson

Not sure if anyone posted about this yet. Interesting that the Lions put together a huge package for PP, but gotta be pretty happy with the way it turned out when you consider the value they got at 13 (along with getting Young and Leshoure).

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/pos...medium=twitter

Also interesting to note Angelo trading up the 2nd time in 10 years. Gives me a warm fuzzy that we have a competent GM in Detroit. Angelo is such a knob.

Comment

• Originally posted by tblain1 View Post
                Not sure if anyone posted about this yet. Interesting that the Lions put together a huge package for PP, but gotta be pretty happy with the way it turned out when you consider the value they got at 13 (along with getting Young and Leshoure).

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/pos...medium=twitter

Also interesting to note Angelo trading up the 2nd time in 10 years. Gives me a warm fuzzy that we have a competent GM in Detroit. Angelo is such a knob.
                Would have been interesting if Cards accepted. Not enough value though, Cards probably wanted our 3rd and liked Peterson of course.

Patrick Peterson and Mason Foster in 3rd would have been interesting. Needs on D would be taken care of but we have one less good prospect on our team losing Young and LeShoure but gaining a Foster. I would feel really good about our D but still have questions on offense that I would want addressed in free agency mainly solid RB to carry some of the load and speed WR. Either way we are addressing 2 positions in free agency but not trading we make our Dline much stronger too for the future plus finish off the offense.

Comment

• Id gladly have Patrick Peterson and Mason Foster than Nick Fairley, Young, and Leshoure

Comment

• That's funny, I was all for going all in on Patrick Peterson too. I'm more than happy with our draft though.

Comment

• Originally posted by WMD View Post
                      That's funny, I was all for going all in on Patrick Peterson too. I'm more than happy with our draft though.
                      So was Mayhew. I agree WMD, I like our draft the way it turned out.

Comment

• Originally posted by IwannatalktoSampson View Post
                        Id gladly have Patrick Peterson and Mason Foster than Nick Fairley, Young, and Leshoure
                        Me too but that deal wasn't offered I guess though when I think about it. Cards didn't accept. Cards wanted more than 1st, 2nd and 4th. So it would have been Peterson and 4th round LB/WR/RB/Tackle(not Foster) if we gave up 1st,2nd and 3rd rounder. I guess we could have used the 4th and 5th to trade up to get Foster though. Patrick Peterson,Mason Foster,Cullbreath and go RB and speed WR in FA.

Or stay pat at 4th and 5th. Peterson,(Kendall Hunter, Delone Carter or Edmond Gates based on the board), Doug Hogue,Cullbreath and go LB and either RB or speed WR(not taken in Round 4) in FA.

Every possibility we still need two solid/good players somewhere in free agency to have a more complete team but in the scenario that happened we got an extra future stud on the Dline and still only 2 major holes on the team. Not counting what people think of the Oline. Although if we took Prince we would only have one hole for free agency as a solid OLB would be needed plus whatever Hogue/Palmer/Carpenter/Dizon/Follett can muster at the other spot. No stud Dline but only one major hole anywhere and issues at Right Tackle IMO with Gosders injury.

All in all I still would rather have 3 good prospects even if Fairley wasn't a need. Down the line it's a good pick as Corey Williams will be gone after 2012 season or able to be traded after 2011 season for value.
                        Last edited by Maybe This Year Mayhew; 05-04-2011, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information