Is there a point that you just give up?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silver & Blue View Post
    I seriously hate when people say that about Stafford. Listen, if any of us took the kind of hits he has behind that Oline, we would be in a wheelchair. Lions fans warned that he was going to get hurt behind this Oline, which was my only hesitation in drafting Stafford. We need get someone like Marcus McNeill, who I wanted to get last offseason, but the Lions never made a move. Hopefully they realize, that they need to beef up the Oline. Because it doesn't matter what QB in the NFL was behind this line(Except Michael Vick) they would be getting hurt just as much if not more then Stafford.
    I agree with this statement 200%. The O-Line is the one thing holding this team back. I saw a defense go on the road and get put in bad positions all day long and only allow 19 points to what I think a is potentially excellent offense in the Bears. Granted, Cutler threw for a lot of yards, but the defense came up huge time after time. IMO, Shaun Hill has a chance to split the season if it comes to that. I believe the Lions will be tough to beat at home this season, and furthermore, I think they will beat the Eagles this weekend at home. A full week to prepare for Vick and I like the Lions to be successful in turning over Vick multiple times. We all know that the Lions did enough to win this Sunday, but what encouraged me was the way the players and coaches dealt with the loss in interviews afterwards. I like this team's focus and attitude under Schwartz.

Comment

Originally posted by Lions-Slappy View Post
      Don't hate it's all good.

Look im not saying that Stafford isnt a tough kid, he proved that last year vs Cleveland. but so far history has shown that he cant stay healthy. given its only been 2 years, but he has had 3 serious injuries. be it he is fragile, unlucky, Lions curse whatever, he has not been able to stay on the field. what has he played in 2 years 8-10 games total? and NFL QB's get hit every game and still dont end up on the IR list. Stafford is not the only guy out there getting beat up.

I agree we need to beef up our O-Line but that is not a quick fix and I cant see it changing anytime soon, we are picking top 5 again next year (IMO) and from what I see there are no Left Tackles worth taking that high, we probably go with Peterson. so that leaves us with a second round LT.. can we get a second round lineman that is a franchise LT.

unlike a lot of people I do not have faith in Mayhew yet, this is the same guy that passed on Michael Oher for friggen Pettigrew... is he better then Millen yes, but my Dog could crap on a list of names and pick better then Millen.

so when will the line be good enough to protect him, he is going to be taking a beating for a while.
      Don't worry, I'm not hating. Its just gotten annoying hearing that over and over the past couple days. Now about the tackle situation, the only guy I can think drafting in the second round would be Gabe Camiri, assuming he falls to us when the draft comes. Scott has him going 29th overall to the Cowboys right now. I don't know if he has the talent to be a franchise tackle though. But I would like to at least try and make a deal for Marcus McNeil because I think Backus has done decent but we need someone younger and has more left in the tank. The RT position needs a solid tackle there also. All we have right there at the moment is Cherilus and Fox. Cherilus has stepped up a little bit(because he knows hes under pressure). Fox might be good but he is still kind of a project right now and isn't ready to start there yet. So I think both tackle positions need to be addressed, but the LT spot should be first priority.
      "You see that foundation right there, now there's termites living there and they live there every day an you don't see them until you start losing. And when you lose they start crawling out. Now what we'll do is when they crawl out we'll get there names and remember their faces so when we start winning again we'll know who we can trust"

-Bo Schembechler

Comment

I'd be willing to try Backus at right tackle. I'm not sure he could do it but, since he's a better run blocker than pass blocker, I'd give him a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by P-L View Post
          I'd be willing to try Backus at right tackle. I'm not sure he could do it but, since he's a better run blocker than pass blocker, I'd give him a chance.
          Yeah that wouldn't be too bad. Have the Lions ever at least tried him at RT in his career?
          "You see that foundation right there, now there's termites living there and they live there every day an you don't see them until you start losing. And when you lose they start crawling out. Now what we'll do is when they crawl out we'll get there names and remember their faces so when we start winning again we'll know who we can trust"

-Bo Schembechler

Comment

Originally posted by Silver & Blue View Post
            Yeah that wouldn't be too bad. Have the Lions ever at least tried him at RT in his career?
            No. He's started every game since he's been drafted at LT.

Comment

Even though it was the correct call as the officials were instructed to use, it is absolutely the worst rule interpretation I have ever seen in my 50 odd years of watching football.
              Bill Polian, the Colts GM who sits on the rules committee actually tried to justify this ridiculous interpretation today on NFL Network.
              It simply left me extremely angry at the NFL for having such an interpretation in place. It is beyond comprehension.
              As for Stafford's injury, I have to blame the organization as I repeatedly said before the draft that a LT was a must otherwise we could expect serious injuries to Stafford and a very short career. It is practically the rule of thumb in the NFL, that a team must protect a franchise QB's blindside at all costs or expect the worst. Going with Backus was ridiculous IMO and the organization paid the price. I just pray it is not to late for Stafford.
              And proud of it!!!

Comment

The thing with Backus is he played fairly well last year and the staff loves him. Oher over Pettigrew is slowly becoming more and more obvious even to homer Lions fans like myself, but I would much rather have Suh and Best at this point still. Who knows how rookie Roger Saffold would do against Peppers and I don't want Trent or Okung over Suh at all. Backus made 3 mistakes on Sunday and one was a big one. Backus has played better(shutting down Freeney in 2008, Osi,Ware in 2007, he's played worse, most of Martz years). He's average nothing more nothing less but he's never been a liability until now. He's never gotten a Qb hurt before. Stafford is not out for the year though and it may only be a few games. Hope is not lost yet. And even if we had a stud LT, Backus might still be on the field at RT.

Comment

On rotoworld.....

Matthew Stafford (shoulder) met with Dr. James Andrews on Tuesday and remains week-to-week, according to the Lions.

The ultra-secretive Lions admitted that they have a "really good idea" about a diagnosis and recovery time, but refused to even reveal the results of Stafford's MRI. The Detroit News suggests Stafford did not damage his labrum or rotator cuff, which means he likely just damaged the ligaments around his AC joint. It's going to take some time to get full range of motion back, but we're guessing that Stafford could be back within four weeks. His arm was not in a sling Wednesday.

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information