X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated Kowlaski's Blog

http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/

Lions are looking to trade right now -- and then again later
    The Lions are being flooded with trade offers and there's been some speculation out there that president Matt Millen is going to be patient because the price can only go up. But that's not true. According to my sources, the Lions already know what they want out of that No. 2 pick and, if a team steps up to the plate right now, the Lions will pull the trigger.

What's interesting is that there are believed to be several different targets for that No. 2 pick, from Calvin Johnson to JaMarcus Russell to Adrian Peterson to Joe Thomas. The Lions don't have a pressing need for any of those positions so they're willing to drop down. And here's the kicker: the Lions, depending on how far they fall, will be willing to trade down again.

The Lions would like to land Clemson DE Gaines Adams but if they can continue to stockpile picks, they'd be just as happy to fall a little lower and fill some desperate needs like middle linebacker and the secondary.

The point is this: Millen plans on wheeling and dealing for the next six weeks and the ultimate goal is to fill as many needs with as many "Marinelli types'' as possible. A few weeks ago, I said the Lions roster could see a 40 percent turnover going into next season. I now believe -- especially if Millen pulls the trigger on a trade or two -- that that number could exceed 50 percent.
    It all seems too logical, what's going on at Allen Park??/

Originally posted by Bootland27 View Post
    http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/

It all seems too logical, what's going on at Allen Park??/
    **** YES! That's what I'm talking about... trade down now and trade down again later... pick up some extra selections... move down... fill the MLB position.

Goddamnit... if he does this, he'll be a genius.
    Left NFLDC: 20080918.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticaLion View Post
      **** YES! That's what I'm talking about... trade down now and trade down again later... pick up some extra selections... move down... fill the MLB position.

Goddamnit... if he does this, he'll be a genius.
      If this happened, your man love for Willis will reach epic proportions, if it already hasn't.

Comment

If this happened, your man love for Willis will reach epic proportions, if it already hasn't.
        Oh no! I need to stop wanting the Lions to draft an incredible prospect at a position of need.

Silly me... I've changed my mind completely. For now on, i'll be like most other Lions fans: CJ or bust. We would, after all, have an incredible WR group.

Comment

http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/...ing_to_tr.html
          If the Dolphins gave the Lions a second and No. 9 overall, I bet that would be good enough for Detroit. That would allow them to get the player they want (Patrick Willis) and pick up another second. If they got both second round picks, it's an absolute no-brainer.
          Oops... it isn't just me.

I've been saying that they should draft Willis for most of this off-season... and, it seems now that that's the direction they're headed.

Comment

The smoke is starting to clear and I have a good feeling that fire is come busting through. If they get bot seconds with their first it still only adds up to 2150 to our 2600. Gonna have to get equal value and I would think they would have to ask for a player that could come in and compete right away.

Originally posted by supermario86
            Stanton will be a pro bowler his 5th year book it.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbs24 View Post
              The smoke is starting to clear and I have a good feeling that fire is come busting through. If they get bot seconds with their first it still only adds up to 2150 to our 2600. Gonna have to get equal value and I would think they would have to ask for a player that could come in and compete right away.
              No... they don't need "equal value" to trade down. They seem to have my mentality about this: if you can move down, grab another top pick and STILL draft the player you want, it's a perfect deal.

I'm glad they agree.

Comment

http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/...ing_to_tr.html

Oops... it isn't just me.

I've been saying that they should draft Willis for most of this off-season... and, it seems now that that's the direction they're headed.
                in all seriousness, yeah i think he's a very good player. Probably the best MLB in the draft in the last few years. May not be the most talented player in the draft, but when it comes to character, its second to none.

Here is his profile from NFL.com
                One of the few bright spots during the Rebels' rebuilding process, Willis established himself as the best middle linebacker in college football the last two years. He played most of the 2005 season with a broken right hand, but still ranked sixth in the nation in tackles per game (10.9). He surpassed those totals in 2006, again ranking sixth nationally with an average of 11.42 tackles per game.

One of the most respected players in the country, Willis is also one of the most liked personalities away from the game. A leader both on the field and off, he is heavily involved in community service. Despite all of the accolades he has received the last two seasons, he quietly goes about his job.

How far he has come on and off the field is because of his tireless work ethic. Willis came from a split family environment, as his mother left home more than 15 years ago. At age six, Patrick was cooking breakfast for his younger sister and brothers. At 10, he was picking cotton around his home. The proceeds went to his father, Ernest, to pay the utilities. Even now, Patrick says it wasn't that bad.

Willis would play his final season at Mississippi with a heavy heart after the death of his brother, Detris. Detris, 17, had been swimming with friends in gravel pits near the family's hometown of Bruceton. The 218-pound teenage linebacker cramped up. "Once he cramped up, it just spread," Patrick said. "He was the biggest one out there. No one could pull him out." Patrick would dedicate the rest of his career to the memory of his brother.

Comment

in all seriousness, yeah i think he's a very good player. Probably the best MLB in the draft in the last few years. May not be the most talented player in the draft, but when it comes to character, its second to none.

Here is his profile from NFL.com
                  In terms of overall talent for his position, he's gotta be in the top 10 players in this draft.

Comment

http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/in...03.html#244505

Friday, March 16, 2007
                    Lions are looking to trade right now -- and then again later
                    The Lions are being flooded with trade offers and there's been some speculation out there that president Matt Millen is going to be patient because the price can only go up. But that's not true. According to my sources, the Lions already know what they want out of that No. 2 pick and, if a team steps up to the plate right now, the Lions will pull the trigger.

What's interesting is that there are believed to be several different targets for that No. 2 pick, from Calvin Johnson to JaMarcus Russell to Adrian Peterson to Joe Thomas. The Lions don't have a pressing need for any of those positions so they're willing to drop down. And here's the kicker: the Lions, depending on how far they fall, will be willing to trade down again.

The Lions would like to land Clemson DE Gaines Adams but if they can continue to stockpile picks, they'd be just as happy to fall a little lower and fill some desperate needs like middle linebacker and the secondary.

The point is this: Millen plans on wheeling and dealing for the next six weeks and the ultimate goal is to fill as many needs with as many "Marinelli types'' as possible. A few weeks ago, I said the Lions roster could see a 40 percent turnover going into next season. I now believe -- especially if Millen pulls the trigger on a trade or two -- that that number could exceed 50 percent.
                    Curtis didn't want to live in Detroit
                    In a development that is sure to endear him to Lions fans, one of the major reasons free agent receiver Kevin Curtis didn't sign with the Lions is because he didn't want to live in Detroit.

Several sources have confirmed that Curtis brought this up several times during the free agency period. Most of those involved didn't believe it would be a deal-breaker, but it apparently was. That's why the situation with Curtis and the Lions cooled shortly after his visit in Detroit.

It ultimately didn't matter, though, because the Lions weren't going to give him the money the Eagles did -- $32 million over six years. That's about $1 million more per year than the Lions believed Curtis was worth.

As far as Plan B, it's basically the same strategy as when the Lions missed on out on free agency middle linebacker London Fletcher -- there isn't one. The Lions don't see any help in free agency at this point and will go into the draft looking for a receiver -- although the first priority remains the defensive side of the ball. Calvin Johnson at the No. 2 pick is a possibility, but a very slim one.
                    R.I.P. L.E.F.
                    "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

If there is any truth to that first article, and there definatly appears to be, then all of our wishes could easily be granted. A double trade down . . . we could end up getting ourselves three more day one picks this year, all for simply moving off of #2!
                      R.I.P. L.E.F.

Comment

Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
                        If there is any truth to that first article, and there definatly appears to be, then all of our wishes could easily be granted. A double trade down . . . we could end up getting ourselves three more day one picks this year, all for simply moving off of #2!
                        Exxxxxxxactly. It could actually be 3-4 more day 1 picks (and/or players). I like the position we're in... and i'm glad they're looking to fill holes.

I wrote Kowalski about the "no back-up plan for Curtis" comment and how wen "can't fill that spot with another FA". I think we did just that with McDonald.

Comment

Oh no! I need to stop wanting the Lions to draft an incredible prospect at a position of need.

Silly me... I've changed my mind completely. For now on, i'll be like most other Lions fans: CJ or bust. We would, after all, have an incredible WR group.
                          oh... reverse psychology... I like. :D

Seriously though, if millen manages to pull this off, he IS a genius... I mean drafting as many Marinelli types as he can... that's a good thing, the blog gives the idea he's not just out to save his job.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                          don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

"Reverse psychology is an awesome tool, I don't know if you guys know about it, but basically you can make someone think the opposite of what you believe, and that tricks them into doing something stupid. Works like a charm."

--Michael Scott
                            R.I.P. L.E.F.

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
                              oh... reverse psychology... I like. :D

Seriously though, if millen manages to pull this off, he IS a genius... I mean drafting as many Marinelli types as he can... that's a good thing, the blog gives the idea he's not just out to save his job.
                              Canadian will STILL find a way to insult him. We could go 16-0 and he'd STILL say "Well... our record over the last 7 seasons is ## and ##... which is below .500%".

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information