Schwartz Job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schwartz Job

Not saying that I believe he should be fired, but at what point do we start asking ourselves if he is right for the team. With the conservative playcalling, and lack of urgency. He is 4-21 as the head coach. At what point do we start wondering? And at what point do you see Mayhew consider a change?

Next year should be the year. If they don't take a step forward he might be out the door. He has done well using a backup QB. Still need a lot of help in the talent pool.
    Sam Bradford will be a bust- 2/24/2010

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

Comment

Last year really shouldn't even count when evaluating him. He took over an 0-16 with absolutely no talent whatsoever on the defensive side of the ball. In just one year under Schwartz, the defense has taken a huge step. I honestly feel that this team is a #1 corner and two linebackers away from being a top ten defense. I've seen a ton of improvement from this team over the past two years. Eventually (next year) we're going to need to see a significant increase in the win column, but right now I'm content to see a much improved product on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by P-L View Post
        Last year really shouldn't even count when evaluating him. He took over an 0-16 with absolutely no talent whatsoever on the defensive side of the ball. In just one year under Schwartz, the defense has taken a huge step. I honestly feel that this team is a #1 corner and two linebackers away from being a top ten defense. I've seen a ton of improvement from this team over the past two years. Eventually (next year) we're going to need to see a significant increase in the win column, but right now I'm content to see a much improved product on the field.
        Exactly, Schwartz came into a very bad situation. But this team has made huge strides in talent and competitiveness. Our record doesn't show how good this team truly is. If Stafford would have stayed healthy the whole season we could have been making a run for the playoffs. But once the season is over and the draft comes around, we are now in position to get Patrick Peterson. So like P-L said we are a #1 corner and a couple LBs away from being a top defense. I didn't expect us to do good this season because I felt that we were still missing a few pieces, but next year will be our year if everything goes right (minimal injuries, get Peterson, etc.)
        "You see that foundation right there, now there's termites living there and they live there every day an you don't see them until you start losing. And when you lose they start crawling out. Now what we'll do is when they crawl out we'll get there names and remember their faces so when we start winning again we'll know who we can trust"

-Bo Schembechler

Comment

This is coming from a self proclaimed Lions hater.

I live in MI and watch the Lions almost every weekend - my roommate is a diehard. I do not like the Lions but I think what Schwartz has done in Detroit is something a lot of teams would kill for.

As someone already stated, he's doing quite a bit with a backup quarterback. I think the corner could have been turned this year (7 wins possibly?) if Stafford could have stayed on the field. He's certainly getting more out of the front four than I thought was even possible.

And then to look at the upcoming draft - Peterson or Amakamura are legit possibilities for you guys and could make you guys pretty nasty in the secondary (big fan of Delmas even though he went to Western).

Long story short, your record this season does not at all reflect the job Schwartz has done in Detroit so far - A healthy Stafford in his third season with the same OC, Megatron, Jahvid (need a bigger back to compliment him IMO), Delmas, Suh, Levy, Smith <-- pretty nice young core of players there. There's a reason "elite" teams like the Jets are now taking notice of these guys and I believe Schwartz deserves some time to see this thing through.
          Originally posted by Babylon
          It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

Speaking from an outsiders view, I think the Lions are poised to be a very good team in 2-3 years. You guys have alot of key pieces in place and its just a matter time until they all develop together. Stafford is really your key to success. If he can stay healthy the Lions will get out of the cellar.

Comment

I wouldn't fire him. He's been through a lot so far.. Coming to an 0-16 Team with a Rookie QB his first year, and this year would be a lot different if Stafford had been healthy. I think he needs work on his clock management though, and he needs to smack Linehan in the back of the head sometimes with his goofy play calls.

Comment

Give him at least two full seasons with Stafford. By then... we should be good to go on D. We can grab Peterson, go for some OL and LBs and our team may coming into shape.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08

Comment

He is on a 4 year contract I give him the entirety of that contract. Unless they have another 2 win season and discipline issues are still the problem (Penalties etc) we would be foolish to drop him. If we are not 500 next year then schwartz is on the hot seat then he will need a playoff appearance to keep his job.
                  Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
                  oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Comment

Generally speaking I like Schwartz a lot, but there have been a couple of VERY questionable plays called (Stanton throwing on third down with time running out against the Jets comes to mind) and the penalties HAVE to be drastically reduced. I put those on the coaching staff. I want to see improvement in those two areas on a moving forward basis for the balance of the season to feel comfortable with Schwartz for next year.
                    [

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by noondog View Post
                      Generally speaking I like Schwartz a lot, but there have been a couple of VERY questionable plays called (Stanton throwing on third down with time running out against the Jets comes to mind) and the penalties HAVE to be drastically reduced. I put those on the coaching staff. I want to see improvement in those two areas on a moving forward basis for the balance of the season to feel comfortable with Schwartz for next year.

These are two things that really piss me off about Lions fans(IE blaming these all on Schwartz)...

1) Schwartz has said numerous times, he told Stanton to "eat it" meaning take the sack if the pass isn't there ... that play is all on Stanton and him trying to do something that didn't need to be done ... hindsight is 20/20, but -- I see nothing wrong with the play, just the execution ...

2) How many times has this OL false started, held, illegal shift, or the defensive line jumped offsides? What can he do about that? These are the most basic things in football - things these guys have been doing since Pee-wee ball, even the announcers are amazed at how often these guys keep doing the same stupid things, what else can he do about that? Cut them?

Either way -- barring some sort of epic collapse next season, he has all of next year and probably the year after.

Comment

Schwartz deserves more time. Detroit has a miserable offensive line. If it wasn't for Chicago, they might have the worst line in the league. If the Lions are smart, they'll talke Peterson with their first pick, whatever offensive lineman is rated highest with their second pick, and then spend some money in free agency to sign Marcus McNeil or Logan Mankins. If Schwartz still can't get it done, then it would be time for a change.

Originally posted by SolidGold
                        Bortlezzzzzzz
                        Originally posted by Monomach
                        Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 

Comment

Originally posted by jrdrylie View Post
                          Schwartz deserves more time. Detroit has a miserable offensive line. If it wasn't for Chicago, they might have the worst line in the league. If the Lions are smart, they'll talke Peterson with their first pick, whatever offensive lineman is rated highest with their second pick, and then spend some money in free agency to sign Marcus McNeil or Logan Mankins. If Schwartz still can't get it done, then it would be time for a change.
                          Didn't Marcus McNeil come to terms on a new contract with San Diego? I have been wanting him for over a year now though if he went into free agency.
                          "You see that foundation right there, now there's termites living there and they live there every day an you don't see them until you start losing. And when you lose they start crawling out. Now what we'll do is when they crawl out we'll get there names and remember their faces so when we start winning again we'll know who we can trust"

-Bo Schembechler

Comment

Originally posted by Silver & Blue View Post
                            Didn't Marcus McNeil come to terms on a new contract with San Diego? I have been wanting him for over a year now though if he went into free agency.
                            Yeah, hes locked up for another five years now

Comment

Oh, my bad. I thought he just signed the restricted free agent tender. Now the question is; would San Diego trade him? If Detroit could get him for a 2nd and 4th, I think they would have to. Did Mankins sign a long term deal?

Originally posted by SolidGold
                              Bortlezzzzzzz
                              Originally posted by Monomach
                              Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information