Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yah, Cooks and Beckham will probably be gone. I think we may have to consider trading up depending on how things go. IMO, we have to get one of those 2, Matthews or Moncrief. We can't let all 4 go before us and just stand pat. That's assuming we go D in round 1.

Mack would be a DE for us. He might play a bit of a Von Miller role, but 80-90% of the time you are going to put a guy like that's hand in the dirt. His value is getting after QBs.

Comment

• Gilbert is deserving of 10 and would be a great pick. 2014 I'm wary how much he would help though. Any rookie CB really. Houston back to 2011/2012 form and Slay developing in year 2 is our best bet but we'll see. Gilbert could help more short term if Slay ends up busting. Long term I think Gilbert will be a good player and gives us options with Houstons contract in 2015 (depending on Slay too).

Comment

• Looks like Jarius Byrd may be hitting free agency. I'd love to see us make a run at him and end our need at safety for good. I think Mayhew is going to make a big signing, considering Safety doesn't provide value at #10 and there isn't great depth, this could make the most sense.

He turned down a huge deal from buffalo, but I get the feeling that was more so due to him wanting out of there. He'd cost a good amount, but if we are going to hand big money to anyone, a safety makes most sense to me.

If you add Byrd and draft Gilbert we have finally have the secondary to complement a great Dline, I think we'd be a top 10 defense easily this year.
        Last edited by detroit4life; 03-03-2014, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• I completely agree. If there's one position we should spend big money on in free agency it's Safety. I don't see us being in a position to draft one for good value and it's an immediate need. WR, CB, and TE can all be answered in the draft and are less pressing needs anyways. I would be happy with us signing Byrd and a reliable veteran WR in free agency with the plan of drafting another WR in round 2 or 3.

Comment

• Lions released Leroy Harris to save another 1.85 million in cap space. All they need is a a new Suh deal to be major players in free agency. Sign Shields away from Green Bay.

Comment

• Pick any TE and we get 50 receptions out of him if he is our #1 TE. I really believe it. Clumsy, board hands we don't need. I also believe like the last two posters if we spend money in FA it should be to secure another safety and a # 2 WR. If we got Ward or Byrd and Decker or James Jones or any WR/S combination therein, our pre-draft year would be successful.

Comment

• If we got Byrd I'd think that would be about all we do in FA. He's going to cost a good amount of cash and we need to be careful about spending too much.

I really don't want Ward. I'd rather get a playmaker in the secondary than another big hitter. We need help in coverage first and foremost and an increase in turnovers. Byrd fits what we need to a tee IMO but can we afford him?

Comment

• Byrd is probably a bit too pricey for us. I'd love to pull it off, but he'll have a lot of suitors. He's going to get 10-11 mil, something that blows out Goldson's deal.
                  You pretty much nailed it detroit4life, it would definitely be pretty much all we did. Maybe Byrd and re-signing Hill and Young, plus our draftees.

I love the idea of Shields. I'd love to go get Shields and Jones and hurt GB a little, even if they don't want Jones back necessarily.

Comment

• I just saw that Jason Avant was released by the Eagles. Obviously he's not flashy but I'd love for the Lions to pick him up cheaply if they can. He's coming off a down year but he's generally a very reliable receiver and I think he'd set a great example for this team as a veteran who understands how to be a professional. I'm not convinced we need to go out and spend a bunch of money on a high-end #2 like Decker. I'd rather pick up a cheap, solid option like Avant and grab our #2 guy in the draft. It would make signing Byrd more realistic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nastradamus View Post
                      Byrd is probably a bit too pricey for us. I'd love to pull it off, but he'll have a lot of suitors. He's going to get 10-11 mil, something that blows out Goldson's deal.
                      You pretty much nailed it detroit4life, it would definitely be pretty much all we did. Maybe Byrd and re-signing Hill and Young, plus our draftees.

I love the idea of Shields. I'd love to go get Shields and Jones and hurt GB a little, even if they don't want Jones back necessarily.
                      With the releases we've done and if we re-sign Ndamukong Suh, we should have around 26-27M in spare cap space to sign players. You would assume 7-8 of that would be set aside for draft picks and emergency signings. So, that's a decent amount of money. 18-19M. Give 8-10 to Jairus Byrd, front load it and have it decrease so, when it comes time to make decisions on guys like Fairley, Reiff, and others we have some extra room.

If we spend big in FA at all, it better be for one of Alterraun Verner or Jairus Byrd. Enough plugging crap into an already crappy secondary.

Comment

• Originally posted by SRogers92 View Post
                        With the releases we've done and if we re-sign Ndamukong Suh, we should have around 26-27M in spare cap space to sign players. You would assume 7-8 of that would be set aside for draft picks and emergency signings. So, that's a decent amount of money. 18-19M. Give 8-10 to Jairus Byrd, front load it and have it decrease so, when it comes time to make decisions on guys like Fairley, Reiff, and others we have some extra room.

If we spend big in FA at all, it better be for one of Alterraun Verner or Jairus Byrd. Enough plugging crap into an already crappy secondary.
                        Not sure I love Verner for the price he'll command, but I agree with the premise.

I just think we have enough issues with our roster being top heavy. OTOH, I'd kill for a FS like Byrd, so if we can make it work, F it, pull the trigger.

26 mil seems a little high though. 20-22 tops by my calculations. That would be 8 mil saved on the Suh deal(which isn't close to done since he still has no agent) and us cutting Jones for another 2.

Comment

• Originally posted by fredder View Post
                          I just saw that Jason Avant was released by the Eagles. Obviously he's not flashy but I'd love for the Lions to pick him up cheaply if they can. He's coming off a down year but he's generally a very reliable receiver and I think he'd set a great example for this team as a veteran who understands how to be a professional. I'm not convinced we need to go out and spend a bunch of money on a high-end #2 like Decker. I'd rather pick up a cheap, solid option like Avant and grab our #2 guy in the draft. It would make signing Byrd more realistic.
                          I'd love Avant. He's nothing special, but maybe the best hands in the league and he's a great guy. He'd give us what we lost in Burleson, without the same healthy concerns.

Comment

• he runs good routes and catches the balls he is supposed to catch. I'd take him as a WR3 or 4 on the cheap happily.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nastradamus View Post
                              Not sure I love Verner for the price he'll command, but I agree with the premise.

I just think we have enough issues with our roster being top heavy. OTOH, I'd kill for a FS like Byrd, so if we can make it work, F it, pull the trigger.

26 mil seems a little high though. 20-22 tops by my calculations. That would be 8 mil saved on the Suh deal(which isn't close to done since he still has no agent) and us cutting Jones for another 2.
                              Yeah we are at about 12 now, after the suh deal I think 20 is about right. I don't think cutting Jones is a forgone conclusion. I am also not sure why Montell Owens isn't cut, he'd save another 1.2 mil.

Byrd's contract will beat Doshon Goldson's contract last year (5 years 42 mil). I don't think we could go much higher than that but that will certainly be the benchmark for him. With an increased cap this year, I think he could hit about a 10 apy.

We may have all this cap room but we do need to realize that Calvin's cap hit jumps 7 million after this year and Stafford 3 million. The cap will keep going up but we need to be careful with over extending ourselves. This is why I think Jason Jones won't be cut, we are better off keeping him and cutting him next year as a cap casualty (save 3 million next year).

We pushed so much money back on Calvin and Stafford if we do not manage our cap properly we will find ourselves way over the cap in a year or two. Not saying we cannot sign byrd, just saying that if we do sign him I would expect us to be done with free agents besides maybe a cheap WR

Comment

• Owens probably isn't cut because we have no deadline and no immediate need for 1.2 million. We might as well hold on to him until we have a reason to cut him .

and yah, we will see a 10 mil jump on Calvin and Stafford, but also a 10 mil jump in the cap. We should be fine. Plus there will be more restructures coming. I wouldn't mind a Calvin restructure this year. Save 4 mil and add 800K per year to future years? Where do I sign up? Assuming we have FA targets that require the space that is.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information