Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of secondary signings, Revis intrigues me a great deal. Wonder what we'd have to send them. The interesting thing about him is, they have no guaranteed money on his deal. That means his 16 mil base salary could be wittled down to vet min, meaning a total cap hit of like 4 mil in year one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nastradamus View Post
      Owens probably isn't cut because we have no deadline and no immediate need for 1.2 million. We might as well hold on to him until we have a reason to cut him .

and yah, we will see a 10 mil jump on Calvin and Stafford, but also a 10 mil jump in the cap. We should be fine. Plus there will be more restructures coming. I wouldn't mind a Calvin restructure this year. Save 4 mil and add 800K per year to future years? Where do I sign up? Assuming we have FA targets that require the space that is.
      The cap isn't going to keep going up 10 million each year and we cannot just keep restructuring these deals. The money will have to hit our cap eventually. All I am saying is we need to be aware of the upcoming year. You don't manage your cap on a year to year basis, there needs to be a long term view on it

Comment

• Originally posted by detroit4life View Post
        The cap isn't going to keep going up 10 million each year and we cannot just keep restructuring these deals. The money will have to hit our cap eventually. All I am saying is we need to be aware of the upcoming year. You don't manage your cap on a year to year basis, there needs to be a long term view on it
        It was reported that its expected to go up to 140 next year and 150 the next. I think it has something to do with new TV money. So 7 mil next year, then 10. Its not a guarantee, but that's what is expected to happen.

Fwiw, you don't necessarily take one huge hit eventually when you do restructures. Not when you are talking about guys who are the cornerstones of your 3-5 year plan. If we sign Suh to a 6-7 year extension and convert 6-8 million of his 14 salary into bonus, it has a negligible effect on our future cap for the most part. You're talking one million per year on a 12-15 million dollar per year deal. When it really hits you is if you have to cut the player. If we have to cut any of Stafford,Suh or Calvin, our troubles will be beyond cap space.

Comment

• Brandon Browner got reinstated. He'll have to serve some games at the start of the season though. I'd be interested at the right price.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nastradamus View Post
            It was reported that its expected to go up to 140 next year and 150 the next. I think it has something to do with new TV money. So 7 mil next year, then 10. Its not a guarantee, but that's what is expected to happen.

Fwiw, you don't necessarily take one huge hit eventually when you do restructures. Not when you are talking about guys who are the cornerstones of your 3-5 year plan. If we sign Suh to a 6-7 year extension and convert 6-8 million of his 14 salary into bonus, it has a negligible effect on our future cap for the most part. You're talking one million per year on a 12-15 million dollar per year deal. When it really hits you is if you have to cut the player. If we have to cut any of Stafford,Suh or Calvin, our troubles will be beyond cap space.
            It also ended up being significantly higher than expected this year. I understand projections but I have a hard time believing they will allow the cap to inflate that much that quickly. I also don't believe that you manage your cap expecting 10 million dollar jumps each year.

All I am saying is that just because we have cap room this year does not mean we need to go wild in free agency. I think we could do a sinlge big deal like Byrd but I believe that would be all the signing we really do. I don't think we can go and spend every dime we have knowing that salary raises are in the near future

Comment

• You also have to remember that contenders if they suffer a serious injury, need money in reserve for a possible replacement. Most teams don't spend to the max. Dallas is an example of a team that spends to the max and when a lot of their defensive stars got injured, they couldn't bring in any decent replacements and it likely cost them a playoff spot.

As for the cap itself, I believe expanding the playoff teams by one and maybe expanding the schedule, is why those projections exist.
              Last edited by Iamcanadian; 03-05-2014, 12:00 AM.
              And proud of it!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nastradamus
                Perfect. That should make it pretty clear no CB will be selected. We have 3 veterans capable of being a 2nd or 3rd CB and 3 young guys we are invested in. That's 6 CBs(I don't count Green, he's crap) for probably 5 spots and of them have the potential to end up starting for us. Bentley only as a slot/nickely probably though.

The only way we draft a CB IMO is if he is a FS/CB hybrid like Mcgill or Joyner IMO, as backup FS is a bit of a concern.

I always thought it was a bit weird that we hadn't brought Mathis back after Austin said something about wanting bigger CBs.
                I agree, a Safety seems more of a need, but none of our CB's are all pros, so I don't think you can just write off the possibility of drafting a true cover CB, if one is ranked thusly at #10, which I'm no longer sure of.

Anybody have any idea of what kind of defense we will mostly be running this coming season????
                Last edited by Iamcanadian; 04-22-2014, 12:31 PM.
                And proud of it!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                  I nagree, a Safety seems more of a need, but none of our CB's are all pros, so I don't think you can just write off the possibility of drafting a true cover CB, if one is ranked thusly at #10, which I'm no longer sure of.

Anybody have any idea of what kind of defense we will mostly be running this coming season????
                  Hard to say what our D will be exactly. Baltimore, where Austin came from, runs a bit of a 3-4/4-3 hybrid. Supposedly Mayhew wanted us to stay in a 4-3.

Comment

• Jason La Canfora created some buzz this past weekend about the lions being proactive in addressing their DT needs via trade with Ngata and that they could do it again, ended it saying stay tuned.

Have to immediately think this could be regarding Wilkerson. Man would I love to make that work out. Imagine we would have to give up our 2nd next year at the very least though and likely another mid round pick. Maybe even our first? Say we had to give up our 2nd and 4th, would you do it? That would leave us without our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th next year but will get a 3rd and something else in comp picks.

It's a tough call. Mostly because you need to be concerned about sign ability (although the franchise tag is always an option). We'd be in a scenario where we would have to resign Wilkerson/Ngata/Levy next offseason. But consider what that would do for our defense. Our DL would suddenly look as dangerous as it was last year, and we'd have a 25 year old difference maker at DT.

Don't get me wrong, I despise trading picks. But I think its rare for you to be able to trade for such a good player at 25 years old. He could elevate this defense substantially, to a point where we are better than last year (factoring in the return of Tulloch and another year of development from Ansah/Van Noy/ Slay etc.). That opportunity is hard to pass up for me given the emphasis we put into improving the OL and running game, if we managed to get similar performance from our defense we would be a very good team.

Edit: I should also note that we should be able to afford bringing all 3 of those guys mentioned above back. With a rise in salary cap and potential cap cuts for guys like Tulloch ($6 million savings) and Pettigrew ($2.7 million savings) we should have money available to us.
                    Last edited by detroit4life; 05-27-2015, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by detroit4life View Post
                      Jason La Canfora created some buzz this past weekend about the lions being proactive in addressing their DT needs via trade with Ngata and that they could do it again, ended it saying stay tuned.

Have to immediately think this could be regarding Wilkerson. Man would I love to make that work out. Imagine we would have to give up our 2nd next year at the very least though and likely another mid round pick. Maybe even our first? Say we had to give up our 2nd and 4th, would you do it? That would leave us without our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th next year but will get a 3rd and something else in comp picks.

It's a tough call. Mostly because you need to be concerned about sign ability (although the franchise tag is always an option). We'd be in a scenario where we would have to resign Wilkerson/Ngata/Levy next offseason. But consider what that would do for our defense. Our DL would suddenly look as dangerous as it was last year, and we'd have a 25 year old difference maker at DT.

Don't get me wrong, I despise trading picks. But I think its rare for you to be able to trade for such a good player at 25 years old. He could elevate this defense substantially, to a point where we are better than last year (factoring in the return of Tulloch and another year of development from Ansah/Van Noy/ Slay etc.). That opportunity is hard to pass up for me given the emphasis we put into improving the OL and running game, if we managed to get similar performance from our defense we would be a very good team.

Edit: I should also note that we should be able to afford bringing all 3 of those guys mentioned above back. With a rise in salary cap and potential cap cuts for guys like Tulloch ($6 million savings) and Pettigrew ($2.7 million savings) we should have money available to us.
                      Wilkerson is a beast. I give up the 2nd and 4th no problem. But I make sure a deal is done before I do that. We'll get a 3rd for Suh and 4th or 5th for Fairley and we got an extra 5th from our Day 1 draft trade. It's the end of the rounds and they are untradable picks but adding Willkerson is worth it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maybe This Year Mayhew View Post
                        Wilkerson is a beast. I give up the 2nd and 4th no problem. But I make sure a deal is done before I do that. We'll get a 3rd for Suh and 4th or 5th for Fairley and we got an extra 5th from our Day 1 draft trade. It's the end of the rounds and they are untradable picks but adding Willkerson is worth it.
                        Yeah would've been nice. Appears he is showing up to camp though.

Comment

• Of course Levy gets hurt when we give him a big deal. Ngata hurt a ton too. Tulloch looks so slow in coverage now. We'll never get to see what this defense could have been.

And the 18 turnovers in 6 games is a killer. 8 fumbles from 8 different players. That matches the total for fumbles lost in 2014 already and there are still 10 games left. We only turned it over 20 times total in 16 games in 2014. What the heck happened.

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information