Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Free Agency Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Without making any changes to the OLine, how can an improved running game be expected?

    Have to get one new starter.
    R.I.P. L.E.F.
    "I am the one who knocks!"

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
      Without making any changes to the OLine, how can an improved running game be expected?

      Have to get one new starter.
      A healthy Jahvid Best. I really don't think the running game was that much of a concern towards the end of the season. Linehan did a great job of mixing in Stefan Logan, Morris, and a hobbled Best. Is Felton that great of a blocking FB? I really don't pay much attention to him.

      Comment


      • #33
        In addition to a healthy Best, a healthy Stafford in turn helps the run game too. Getting leads on teams helps the run game :o) Carl Nicks or Logan Mankins helps the run game. Even in 09 when Peterman had a good season I was not a fan. His pass blocking (short arms) is below avg.
        Pre-snap penalties are uncalled for on the line. (especially G) the freak'n ball is RIGHT next to you!! That goes for you to Corey Williams. You are a bad man on the field, but clean it up please. Most penalized defensive player in the NFL. Not a good title to carry.

        Comment


        • #34
          The O-line simply could not open any holes up between the tackles, period. If anyone has the ability to squirt through little openings, it would have been Jahvid. If we do not upgrade the interior (hi Raiola and Peterman), then we need a back in the mould of Blount to crash his way through the line. One or the other imho.

          As far as blaming Peterson's injury for his false starts and general retardedness this season, I'm not buying. Dude flat out killed some important drives on his own this year. Like, several.
          [

          Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by noondog View Post
            The O-line simply could not open any holes up between the tackles, period. If anyone has the ability to squirt through little openings, it would have been Jahvid. If we do not upgrade the interior (hi Raiola and Peterman), then we need a back in the mould of Blount to crash his way through the line. One or the other imho.

            As far as blaming Peterson's injury for his false starts and general retardedness this season, I'm not buying. Dude flat out killed some important drives on his own this year. Like, several.
            I am with you on both points noondog ...

            Raiola is getting up there in years played ... & lets face it Detroit is due for a few position overhauls due to "retirement" (or lack of production) from likely LT, C & K in the next 2 season (my guess).

            LT - Linehan/Schwartz obviously were high on Jason Fox to take him with a 4th rd pick & then have him sit all season. It appears (not 100% sold on the idea myself) that they may be grooming him to replace Backus? Wasted pick otherwise & a 1st round pick would be wise here in 2012. (finally)

            C - We could get Pouncey, Wisniewski or O'Dowd in the 2nd 3rd round this year & be done with it ... if not this draft, I bet this is Dom's last season probably not by choice) so 2012 we grab his replacement in a higher round pick. Done.

            K - Rayner is 50/50 to me on being Hanson's replacement. Jason is money in the 50 yd range FG's still, but for whatever reason his punch on touching back the kick-off's just does not seem to be there. Plus 2 surgery's in th past 2 seasons? Usually the Garza winner can be drafted in like the 6th round. Maybe let the Rayner/Hanson battel work itself out & 2012 we draft a kicker?

            Most every other position on Detroit's roster is young, but father time is catching up to these 3 positions ... thsoe are my solutions.

            Comment


            • #36
              Sounds good. I would not mind getting a good C to replace Dom. He was getting beat a ton this past year and looked to struggle as much as Petermen without the injuries.

              I think ODowd is a stud. Pouncey is gone in the first. Either Pitt or Philly will grab him IMO.


              Originally posted by supermario86
              Stanton will be a pro bowler his 5th year book it.

              Comment


              • #37
                The C out of Oregon St looks pretty sweet too. No to a 1st rd C. Tough position to judge, the smarts must be there as well with so many line calls falling on him. That is one advantage Dom has, a dozen years in the system. but he has had a great career, I hope he does not try to hang on too long. (wink wink):o)

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by SINCE1978 View Post

                  C - We could get Pouncey, Wisniewski or O'Dowd in the 2nd 3rd round this year & be done with it ... if not this draft, I bet this is Dom's last season probably not by choice) so 2012 we grab his replacement in a higher round pick. Done.
                  .
                  Pouncey has not played well at center, he should play guard. Wisniewski would be a great pick. I doubt Marcus Cannon falls to our second round pick but I would take him there.

                  I don't want to continue making excuses for Peterman but when a lineman has an injury like that he is going to try and jump early to get an edge and will hold to not get embarrassed. My one critique with this staff is the way they handle injuries. They play guys with injuries and try to bring them back early.
                  Last edited by Scotty D; 01-14-2011, 10:35 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
                    Pouncey has not played well at center, he should play guard. Wisniewski would be a great pick. I doubt Marcus Cannon falls to our second round pick but I would take him there.

                    I don't want to continue making excuses for Peterman but when a lineman has an injury like that he is going to try and jump early to get an edge and will hold to not get embarrassed. My one critique with this staff is the way they handle injuries. They play guys with injuries and try to bring them back early.
                    Agree on Pouncey. That 1 game he had like 7 snaps over the QB's head in shot gun! I thought Wisniewski was brilliant ... at G though the games I saw? I know he is versatile, I like that in an interior HOG :o)

                    Yeah Lions handling injuries has a bunch to do with lack of depth. Gandy & Gerberry aren't exactly on the cusp of being starters.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
                      Without making any changes to the OLine, how can an improved running game be expected?

                      Have to get one new starter.
                      a runner that can run between the tackles would make the running game better, our line was adequte enough to roll with them for one more season. I see the draft first round options:

                      CB = Anemic I think they will resign houston and go get one more corner in FA and then they will draft one if Prince falls, or unless Brandon Harris has a great combine.

                      DE = Most likely posistion we'll draft due to be value at number 13

                      OLB = I could see possibly Von Miller having a good draft combine, and looks like a prototypical coach schwartz type of player. Not a huge fan of Ayers and I dont really seem him as a fit.

                      HB = I honeslty can see a chance of us seeing Mark Ingram being drafted if they dont get a bruising back in UFA (ie. Michael Bush).
                      Last edited by nmb1114; 01-14-2011, 05:36 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        I don't think there is any chance we take Ingram at 13. No way Mayhew is gonna use two 1st round picks on RB's in two years. RB's have by far the shortest careers of any position. Year after year good RB's are found in the middle rounds. Say no to Ingram..... but I do love the way he plays.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          On the RB situation ... I would be game to draft another one if 1) we dealt or cut Morris or Smith 2) took said back in the mid rounds & 3) he was a bruiser, between the tackles guy.

                          Perfect fit? Allen Bradford USC 6-0 235, 4.5 40 yd dash guy with power, enough burst, vision, etc. He could be a great 5th round pick up. I would not go much higher in this draft for a RB, but given Bradford replaces Morris &/or Smith that would be a pretty dynamic back field. I think the Aaron Brown/Jerome Felton experiments are done.

                          Best
                          Bradford
                          Smith
                          Logan
                          Felton

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            http://www.freep.com/article/2011012...-as-china-doll


                            “Stafford, good guy,” Follett said. “He’s a china doll right now. Anytime he gets hit, he goes down. But the kid is -- hopefully, it’s just patiently waiting for him, because the kid is an awesome talent. He has a tremendous arm. The throws that he makes during practice when no one can touch him, he looks like an All-American quarterback, but put him in a game, and you hit his shoulder. So hopefully, say a couple prayers, keep him healthy next year, and the Lions can do some damage in the NFC.”

                            << is this past tense speak by Mr. Follett bitterness for how his season ended & maybe his career in Detroit? has he quietly been given his walking papers? >>

                            Dropping a bomb on a teammate (franchise QB) & talking about the team that currently pays you, not as "we" but as "the Lions"? It's like he is removed ... Sort of weird. But I guess so is Follett?! :o)

                            Comments?

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by SINCE1978 View Post
                              http://www.freep.com/article/2011012...-as-china-doll


                              “Stafford, good guy,” Follett said. “He’s a china doll right now. Anytime he gets hit, he goes down. But the kid is -- hopefully, it’s just patiently waiting for him, because the kid is an awesome talent. He has a tremendous arm. The throws that he makes during practice when no one can touch him, he looks like an All-American quarterback, but put him in a game, and you hit his shoulder. So hopefully, say a couple prayers, keep him healthy next year, and the Lions can do some damage in the NFC.”

                              << is this past tense speak by Mr. Follett bitterness for how his season ended & maybe his career in Detroit? has he quietly been given his walking papers? >>

                              Dropping a bomb on a teammate (franchise QB) & talking about the team that currently pays you, not as "we" but as "the Lions"? It's like he is removed ... Sort of weird. But I guess so is Follett?! :o)

                              Comments?
                              It is really strange, it seems like hes frustrated with how the season turned for him and the team. The team, theoretically speaking, was a playoff team this year if Stafford stayed healthy, and as a fan it frustrates me so I can only imagine how it is for a player (especially for a player with such a mean streak as follett).

                              If news comes out later that Follett has been released or has to retire due to his injury, these quotes make a lot more sense to me, especially with a sense of bitterness.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by DrunkenLament View Post
                                It is really strange, it seems like hes frustrated with how the season turned for him and the team. The team, theoretically speaking, was a playoff team this year if Stafford stayed healthy, and as a fan it frustrates me so I can only imagine how it is for a player (especially for a player with such a mean streak as follett).

                                If news comes out later that Follett has been released or has to retire due to his injury, these quotes make a lot more sense to me, especially with a sense of bitterness.
                                It would be more ironic if Follett had to retire due to injury after making "china doll" comments about Stafford.

                                If Follett wasn't done by the time he made these comments... he probably is now. I don't think he is good enough to not cut for making bad comments to the press like this.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information