Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Free Agency Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by SINCE1978 View Post
    I mean sort of I guess ... Titus Young catching balls with Stafford & running routes with CJ has to help haha:o)

    Plus think of all the rookies (just in Detroit) that have been thrust into playing time probably before they were "ready", based on lack of roster talent/depth. (Delmas, Levy,Hill,Suh,CJ,Stafford,Pettigrew, Spievey etc) it's seems almost the norm that a top 100 draft pick is expected to step in & play in Detroit since the Millen purge has begun. I know chemistry is a part, but these guys are professional athletes, let's not forget that either. KVB, Williams,Suh needed minimal time to prepare together to look dominate early last season. I hear ya, but it's a little over rated to chemistry thing in pro football.
    They didn't have minimal time, they all had OT's, training camp and 5 exhibition games to get ready, vs what they MAY get this year, 1 week of training camp and if they are lucky 1 or 2 exhibition games, although perhaps they will get none.
    Of course I'm basing this on a late August, early September settlement, so it isn't written in stone. If they settle by July, they might still get everything in.
    And proud of it!!!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Maybe This Year Mayhew View Post
      http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

      Here is the list if we go by 2010 rules. I don't see any of those LBs or Guards as unrestricted if that happens or Eric Wright or Richard Marshall. We keep Houston if 2010 rules apply. I think all the guards and LBs would be restricted so no thanks on giving up a high draft pick. Working out a deal for a mid round pick would be much better.

      Given the list I go for Ike Taylor or Carlos Rogers hard to pair with Houston and move Alphonso to the slot with Aaron Berry. Rogers has no ball skills so Ike Taylor is preferred but doubt he isn't resigned by Pittsburgh. Chris Carr wouldn't be bad either.

      LBs I wouldn't mind Ben Leber or Pisa. They are solid and it takes away from a division rival. Pisa is an injury risk though.

      Here is the restricted list with some tenders.

      http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2011...nt-tender.html
      Just say no to Pisa.... guy has been injured ever since he joined the Bears. Want no part of him. Career: Over.

      Comment


      • http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...afford_12.html

        Stafford looking good and strong. Good news on Gosder too out there doing well after his surgery. And Peterman is foot pain free.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
          They didn't have minimal time, they all had OT's, training camp and 5 exhibition games to get ready, vs what they MAY get this year, 1 week of training camp and if they are lucky 1 or 2 exhibition games, although perhaps they will get none.
          Of course I'm basing this on a late August, early September settlement, so it isn't written in stone. If they settle by July, they might still get everything in.
          At least every team is in the same boat

          Comment


          • Originally posted by SINCE1978 View Post
            At least every team is in the same boat
            Not really. Teams with new coaches or rookie QBs that has to be a bad situation. I am so glad we have a system in place on both offense and defense for 2 years and the QBs and most of the RBS/WRs have had at least a year in the system. QBs have had 2 years which is even better and all know the playbook very well. Can't imagine starting a rookie QB in this environment.

            Titus Young,LeShoure and Fairley will be effected though. Luckily we don't need Fairley to produce right away with Corey and Sammie Lee Hill in the mix. Young will need to learn the routes but he'll mainly be a speed threat and won't have that many intricate routes early on IMO. LeShoure will need to pick up on the offense quickly as he'll need to know the most plays and protections but luckily RBs seems to be a positioin rookies can pick up pretty quickly and produce early.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Maybe This Year Mayhew View Post
              Not really. Teams with new coaches or rookie QBs that has to be a bad situation. I am so glad we have a system in place on both offense and defense for 2 years and the QBs and most of the RBS/WRs have had at least a year in the system. QBs have had 2 years which is even better and all know the playbook very well. Can't imagine starting a rookie QB in this environment.

              Titus Young,LeShoure and Fairley will be effected though. Luckily we don't need Fairley to produce right away with Corey and Sammie Lee Hill in the mix. Young will need to learn the routes but he'll mainly be a speed threat and won't have that many intricate routes early on IMO. LeShoure will need to pick up on the offense quickly as he'll need to know the most plays and protections but luckily RBs seems to be a positioin rookies can pick up pretty quickly and produce early.
              Solid analysis and I agree with it. I think Young will have the hardest time, it is a totally different animal, playing WR in the pros from college ball, where you are never challenged on the LOS or for the 1st 5 yards. It is a really tough adjustment and any loss of practice or exhibition games will be serious.
              It will affect Fairley some too but it should be any easy adjustment as long as they don't ask Leshoure to block too much.
              And proud of it!!!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                Solid analysis and I agree with it. I think Young will have the hardest time, it is a totally different animal, playing WR in the pros from college ball, where you are never challenged on the LOS or for the 1st 5 yards. It is a really tough adjustment and any loss of practice or exhibition games will be serious.
                It will affect Fairley some too but it should be any easy adjustment as long as they don't ask Leshoure to block too much.
                Yeah I agree I think it's going to be tough for Titus Young. He is very thin and he will be bumped at the line alot. He has to prove he can beat that to be a true threat for us this year. If he can't beat the press, he won't add any more value than Bryant Johnson right away. I think they'll move him around alot though so he can avoid press coverage some.

                Fairley and LeShoure can both be productive. I thought LeShoure was a good blocker in college so hopefully it translates. Obvious passing plays we still have Morris or Best to be a blocker if LeShoure is constantly failing but let's hope thats not the case.

                I think Fairley can still be disruptive given his talent but other than Suh it usually takes DTs some time to get used to how to beat NFL interior linemen who are way stronger and smarter than college players.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                  Solid analysis and I agree with it. I think Young will have the hardest time, it is a totally different animal, playing WR in the pros from college ball, where you are never challenged on the LOS or for the 1st 5 yards. It is a really tough adjustment and any loss of practice or exhibition games will be serious.
                  It will affect Fairley some too but it should be any easy adjustment as long as they don't ask Leshoure to block too much.
                  I too think Young will have the hardest time of the 3 new young guns. Not to say he won't catch on, but I really worry about his size (ie versatility) for long NFL seasons. Face it, plenty say he is the deep threat, burner guy ... but call me out on this if I'm wrong but he is (only?) a 4.5 guy. Every CB in the league runs a 4.5 basically. So it's not like he has the 4.25 burst to be running by defenders. Also, maybe you guys saw some workout pictures from Country day HS recently? What struck em was how small in stature & short Young is as well! 175 lbs is a small man in this league. I just worry that some of the bigger, physical corners (that are also in the 4.5 range) are going to figure out his game & be able to make him 1 dimensional. For me he has the highest bust rate. I am banking on the collective body of offensive weapons making him better & he making them better b/c I just don't see the statistics for this guy in the league. He probably will prove me wrong, but a small school guy, who's under 6', under 180 lbs, who (for his position) is slightly above average in speed is going to have to wokr extra hard to make it happen.

                  Comment


                  • i cannot argue too much about the size issue. Before DeSean Jackson became a star I questioned his longevity in the NFL.
                    It carries some risk but the guy does have a huge talent base and we can only hoipe he is able to stay healthy and be productive, because if he does and Stafford stays healthy, lookout for our offense.
                    And proud of it!!!

                    Comment


                    • http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...lthy-for-Lions

                      I think Fox will compete this year ...

                      Comment


                      • the thing about titus is if we ever have him go over the middle against a team like pitt, chi, baltimore etc he may get killed. The heavy hitters in this league deliver earth shattering hits to guys who are 210+. Titus looked 15 years old in those pics

                        Comment


                        • with the rule changes for defenseless receivers and lack of contact downfield in coverage, the game is changing to help him. he should be fine.
                          SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
                          Fire Caldwell!!!

                          Prowler's Newb Guide

                          Comment


                          • Titus Young = Malnourshed Chad Ochocinco

                            :o)

                            Comment


                            • http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/hot?id=6669851

                              Stafford vs Freeman

                              For those who missed it, Stafford had the NFL's best passer rating against the blitz at the time of his season-ending injury. His fourth-quarter passer rating was 109.9, good for second in the NFL at the time, and he had a 104.4 rating on third down. Finally, he threw 88 of his 96 passes from the pocket.

                              Viewed together, those numbers reflected a quarterback who remained cool under pressure and was working hard to be the type of pocket passer that flourishes long-term in the NFL. It is obviously a small sample size, but when combined with the mettle Stafford demonstrated as a rookie -- throwing a game-winning touchdown against the Cleveland Browns one play after separating his left shoulder -- you see the framework of a high-caliber NFL quarterback.
                              SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
                              Fire Caldwell!!!

                              Prowler's Newb Guide

                              Comment


                              • Seems like new CBA on the table will allow 4 year players to be unrestricted. Goodbye Chris Houston most likley but hello Tulloch. More corners available though but I think we will need two starters now unfortunately if this new CBA is passed.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information