X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lions on the right track?

interesting article from hondo on the lions

http://spartannation.com/?p=2220

i gotta say i love the attitude and i believe that this is gonna be the lions most successful year in awhile.

i think it takes another year mayb two but i truly feel this team is actually making smart decisions and taking the right steps forward but it seems people may feel this way every year so we'll see where it goes this time but i do have a good feeling that they have a plan now and that it will ultimately work out in the end

Comment

Originally posted by detroit4life View Post
      i think it takes another year mayb two but i truly feel this team is actually making smart decisions and taking the right steps forward but it seems people may feel this way every year so we'll see where it goes this time but i do have a good feeling that they have a plan now and that it will ultimately work out in the end
      I agree with you... on two points.

1.) It does feel that we're on the right track with Marinelli. The decisions made feel like the right decisions.

2.) It feels like this every year. Sure, this year feels more like "it" than in years past, but still... I keep telling myself "this is the year"... and it never is.

Lets hope this is the one.
      Left NFLDC: 20080918.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticaLion View Post
        I agree with you... on two points.

1.) It does feel that we're on the right track with Marinelli. The decisions made feel like the right decisions.

2.) It feels like this every year. Sure, this year feels more like "it" than in years past, but still... I keep telling myself "this is the year"... and it never is.

Lets hope this is the one.
        haha i am the same way, i guess thats what makes us true lions fans

Comment

From an outsiders perspective, I think the Lions have made some smart moves this year. I do think, however, without drafting a franchise QB it won't amount to a whole lot. It'll probably be 7 wins at best next year (probably 4 or 5) but if they can get a good young QB I think the team could, if they continue in this vein, be ready to compete in few more years when that QB takes the reigns.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

I think we are on the right track, but I think we are at least a year away from being competitive. Right now, I think the Lions are capable of six wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Patriots-Lions View Post
              I think we are on the right track, but I think we are at least a year away from being competitive. Right now, I think the Lions are capable of six wins.
              I agree, the offense will have to carry us while we rebuild the defense. Our defense simply doesn't look too good on paper and this season will decide Marinelli's fate. If he cannot get the defense to play better then I think he's gone. Great defensive HC's seem to get their teams to play decent defense even with mediocre players. The jury still out on Marinelli.
              Even with a decent defense Kitna is just average as a QB and hardly capable of a winning record. I'm hoping Martz can get enough out of him for 6 wins but I won't be too shocked with 4 or 5 wins.
              The draft will tell me if we are on the right track, so far it's all hype with no proven substance.
              And proud of it!!!

Comment

On the right track? Is Millen around next year, does Martz take off to HC? Is 4 or 5 wins on the right track?

This draft will tell everyone the right track in my opinion. Getting it right has to do with good scouting and a bit of blessing to fall from God. You would think by the laws of probability Millen has to get one draft right. One player worth their draft pick (Williams) and even he was a bit high in my opinion.

Biggest concern is still the future QB..... so lets get it right and go get him. Everyone that says the defense will suck is right on track.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                  I agree, the offense will have to carry us while we rebuild the defense. Our defense simply doesn't look too good on paper and this season will decide Marinelli's fate. If he cannot get the defense to play better then I think he's gone. Great defensive HC's seem to get their teams to play decent defense even with mediocre players. The jury still out on Marinelli.
                  Even with a decent defense Kitna is just average as a QB and hardly capable of a winning record. I'm hoping Martz can get enough out of him for 6 wins but I won't be too shocked with 4 or 5 wins.
                  The draft will tell me if we are on the right track, so far it's all hype with no proven substance.
                  Wow, I expected you to be all 'I've been watching this team suck for 20 years now, you guys crack me up with all your talk of being on the right track' but you're actually very positive. I'll give you rep for that ;)!

And you're totally right about kitna, he IS painfully average and we'd be very lucky (and Kitna would probably have died from the effort) if he manages to lead us to 8-8 (note: I did say very lucky!). I by the way think our record next year will be a losing one, but not as bad as this years, something like 6-10 or 7-9. After that we draft a good QB (or get a kid from this years draft to do it) and we'll start actually having some winning seasons. Gotta remain positive.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                  don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                    From an outsiders perspective, I think the Lions have made some smart moves this year. I do think, however, without drafting a franchise QB it won't amount to a whole lot. It'll probably be 7 wins at best next year (probably 4 or 5) but if they can get a good young QB I think the team could, if they continue in this vein, be ready to compete in few more years when that QB takes the reigns.
                    I guess it kinda suprises me that a Bears fan thinks we've gotta draft a "franchise QB" to be successful.

Interesting.

The Bears made it to the Super Bowl without a "franchise QB"... they got that far with an incredible defense (and an easy schedule).

I'd rather build an incredible defense (we're actually not too far away) than hope a top pick QB can survive behind this OLine.

Comment

The Bears made it to the Super Bowl without a "franchise QB"... they got that far with an incredible defense (and an easy schedule).
                      Thats an understatement.......The Bears made it to the SB with the worst QB of the 2nd half of the reg season.

Comment

I guess it kinda suprises me that a Bears fan thinks we've gotta draft a "franchise QB" to be successful.

Interesting.

I'd rather build an incredible defense (we're actually not too far away) than hope a top pick QB can survive behind this OLine.
                        I was thinking the exact same thing....

Comment

Interesting.

I didn't say you had to draft Brady Quinn, I said you needed a franchise QB, that can mean a lot of things. Jon Kitna is a stop-gap, basically because of his age but also because he's never won anything significant in his life. If the Lions draft Stanton in the 2nd (3rd is wishful thinking and would be a mistake to take that risk) I think that would be fine too. What I'm saying is that if you build a team around a Quarterback, and then never find a Quarterback to plug into that system it's not going to amount to much. Grossman isn't Joe Montana, but he's a guy with ability that can win games.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                            I didn't say you had to draft Brady Quinn, I said you needed a franchise QB, that can mean a lot of things. Jon Kitna is a stop-gap, basically because of his age but also because he's never won anything significant in his life. If the Lions draft Stanton in the 2nd (3rd is wishful thinking and would be a mistake to take that risk) I think that would be fine too. What I'm saying is that if you build a team around a Quarterback, and then never find a Quarterback to plug into that system it's not going to amount to much. Grossman isn't Joe Montana, but he's a guy with ability that can win games.
                            Grossman happens to be on a team that has a defense that can win games. Honestly... I'd take a lot of QBs in this league over him: Kitna, Frye, Culpepper (with health issues), Simms (with a bad spleen)... there aren't many I wouldn't take over him. Are you pushing for Griese in 07? Or are you looking for a "franchise QB" in rounds 2-3? You'd better be (to be consistent with what you say) because Grossman isn't a "franchise QB".

Kitna wont be successful because hes never "won anything significant in his life"? What kind of logic is that? At least he was the "NFL Comeback Player of the Year" in 2003... which is greater than anything Grossman has ever won (the Ed Block Courage Award isn't greater... it shows that he does a lot off the field but nothing on the field... which is where it matters).

They're looking at Stanton in rounds 2-3... and, if we get him (you claim he's a "franchise QB"), it looks as if we'll be ready to compete in a few years.

You'd better hope the Bears don't still have Grossman.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                              I think that he will be given more than this year because when he came in here he the offense was much better off than the defense plus hes brought a new system so it takes a couple years to get the right players and to establish the defense so i doubt hes gona after this year unless millen is gone and the new GM wants to scrap the whole coaching staff if not he's got atleast a year

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information