Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Raiders take CJ and Russle is there..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • If Raiders take CJ and Russle is there..

    is there a chance Detroit takes him at number 2? I think Russles going to be a good QB and nows the time to draft a QB. Kitna still has another year and it could give a chance for Russle to sit out and watch.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Jagonsucker View Post
    is there a chance Detroit takes him at number 2? I think Russles going to be a good QB and nows the time to draft a QB. Kitna still has another year and it could give a chance for Russle to sit out and watch.
    I don't think we will, team seems okay with Kitna for now and we have other, bigger needs to attend to.

    And I commend you for misspelling Russel's name every time. Do the Russle-Hussle 8)

    Sig by Fenikz

    I remember NFLDC
    don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

    Comment


    • #3
      QB is a need for the Lion's, and I think they would be wise to take Russell if he's there. Kitna is old and mistake prone.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by TRJ997 View Post
        QB is a need for the Lion's, and I think they would be wise to take Russell if he's there. Kitna is old and mistake prone.
        We won't stay at number two anyway. And Quinn is much more the type for the Lions. We have bigger needs, we are not taking Russel.

        And I agree that Kitna is no long term solution, but he'll do for another year, maybe two. Next years quarterback class is gonna be better (deeper) than this one, so I'd prefer to pick a defensive player (OR calvin johnson if available) and make quarterback a priority for next year.

        Sig by Fenikz

        I remember NFLDC
        don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

        Comment


        • #5
          yea but i wish we would seem interested in him so if he does fall cleveland will try and move up to get him

          Comment


          • #6
            No chance we take him, but I bet Cleveland would wanna move up for him.
            R.I.P. L.E.F.
            "I am the one who knocks!"

            Comment


            • #7
              I don't think he fits the Mike Martz system, he's more of a pocket vertical passer in the mold of Leftwich or Culpepper. Martz likes more of a mobile timing orientated passer, i.e. Kurt Warner and for better or worse Jon kitna. With that being said I think that Cleveland will have to trade up to get him, if that is who they really want, or the Lions will be able to find a different trade partner like the Vikings, yes I know trades inside the division hardly ever happen.

              Comment


              • #8
                i dont think he is a martz QB either, but i wouldn't be upset if we take him. I would much rather have quinn or a tradedown though.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I like him a lot, but I guess he is a bad fit.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I don't know if Russell fits into the whole "Maranelli type guy," which is there way of saying that they are done trying to fit square pegs in round holes. Maranelli type also refers to the players love for the game and fit in the system more so than being a perfect individual which is why Ernie Sims is a great example of that with the Lions willing to draft him after being arrested for assaulting his girlfriend.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I don't think they'd go after Russell... I think Quinn would be the pick over him.

                      Regardless, neither will be Lions, so I'm happy.
                      Left NFLDC: 20080918.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        There are 2 things that no one on this board can make me believe:

                        1. The Lions will win more games in the next 10 years by picking CJ or a defensive player over JR or BQ.

                        2. The Lions will have a shot at an equal caliber QB in the next 2 or 3 drafts.

                        Moving down and getting 2 to 3 quality starters instead of taking a QB at 2 could be a better move, but unless they get a really good offer, I don't see any logical reason for them to pass on a potential franchise QB. It's not like they are in a "win now" mode, and Kitna is not going to lead the Lions to a Super Bowl, so why not take a chance on a guy who could? Adding another WR to the mix, even CJesus, just might win them an extra game or two a year. While a real QB, under 35, who doesn't throw 20+ picks a game could make Detroit's offense as scary as Indy's. Detroit has a young legit #1 and a young legit #2 WR . . . get someone to deliver the ball, protect him, and win some games.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by TRJ997 View Post
                          There are 2 things that no one on this board can make me believe:

                          1. The Lions will win more games in the next 10 years by picking CJ or a defensive player over JR or BQ.

                          2. The Lions will have a shot at an equal caliber QB in the next 2 or 3 drafts.

                          Moving down and getting 2 to 3 quality starters instead of taking a QB at 2 could be a better move, but unless they get a really good offer, I don't see any logical reason for them to pass on a potential franchise QB. It's not like they are in a "win now" mode, and Kitna is not going to lead the Lions to a Super Bowl, so why not take a chance on a guy who could? Adding another WR to the mix, even CJesus, just might win them an extra game or two a year. While a real QB, under 35, who doesn't throw 20+ picks a game could make Detroit's offense as scary as Indy's. Detroit has a young legit #1 and a young legit #2 WR . . . get someone to deliver the ball, protect him, and win some games.

                          Completely disagree. I think they are in a win now mode. I see us getting two impact defensive players and we're a lot more than a QB away from a superbowl. As to equal caliber QBs in '08 or '09, it's a freakin' crapshoot. Millen got roasted and I don't think he's that eager to take the risk again. Solid D + average QB looks a lot safer.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Mythos View Post
                            Completely disagree. I think they are in a win now mode. I see us getting two impact defensive players and we're a lot more than a QB away from a superbowl. As to equal caliber QBs in '08 or '09, it's a freakin' crapshoot. Millen got roasted and I don't think he's that eager to take the risk again. Solid D + average QB looks a lot safer.
                            I don't think it's the fans thinking that we can "win now", but the coaches/team. They WANT to "win now", and want a player that can help them NOW.

                            That being said, I read an interesting article the other day about first round QBs... and how only 2 (2!) of the QBs drafted in the first round within the last 4-5-6 years (or something) have won a playoff game (Roethlisberger and Grossman). What did both of those teams (Steelers and Bears) have in common? A great defense.

                            That article was also misleading... as most of the playoff QBs (Peyton Manning, Rex Grossman, Drew Brees, Chad Pennington, Steve McNair, Phillip Rivers and Eli Manning) were drafted in the first round. Interesting enough, two of the playoff QBs were undrafted (Jeff Garcia and Tony Romo), two were drafted in the 6th round (of course, Tom Brady and Matt Hasselbeck) and one in the eighth round (Trent Green).

                            But, that's also misleading... how many of those 1st round QBs played for the team that drafted them? Manning, Grossman, Pennington, Rivers and Manning (yes, they count).

                            What does this tell us? You can either succeed with a great defense... or with Peyton Manning. Since Peyton isn't eligible for this year's draft, let's draft defense.
                            Left NFLDC: 20080918.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Mythos View Post
                              Completely disagree. I think they are in a win now mode. I see us getting two impact defensive players and we're a lot more than a QB away from a superbowl. As to equal caliber QBs in '08 or '09, it's a freakin' crapshoot. Millen got roasted and I don't think he's that eager to take the risk again. Solid D + average QB looks a lot safer.
                              The Lions have won 3, 5, 6, 5, 3, and 2 games respectively for the past 6 seasons. They have some good young players, a first time head coach, and they aren't in cap trouble. No one on that staff is getting fired if the Lions go 8-8 next year. They are not in a win now mode. They are, however, in a situation where they need to start showing some improvement, and a franchise QB is a good step toward building a winner. I'm not saying that the Lions should ignore the defense. I just think they should take the best value pick (QB), which is also a major position of need, in the 1st round. Then they can add quality defensive players in the 2nd and 3rd.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information