No announcement yet.

NFC Championship, Packers v. Giants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll take the home team in the below 0 weather 9/10 ... The Giants had a great season and it was a good story, but you can't beat what's been happening with the Pack. Go Pack 21-10

Comment

i like what wilbon said on PTI that we (the packers) reminded him of the 83 NC state team that knocked off the Phi Slamma Jamma of Houston (the Patriots) in the NCAA tournament

Comment

Originally posted by roidrunner View Post
        i like what wilbon said on PTI that we (the packers) reminded him of the 83 NC state team that knocked off the Phi Slamma Jamma of Houston (the Patriots) in the NCAA tournament
        Haha awesome.
        I remember: Sean Taylor

Bosanac01

Comment

some very random thoughts on this weeks game.

-the phrase "be careful what you wish for" rang through my head a lot after the Giants pulled it off on sunday night. We want the game at Lambeau and we want to bypass the #1 seed. But, now the pressure is on. If we made it this far and lost to Dallas it's an honorable way to end a good season. If we make it this far and lose to the #5 seed at home, the perception will be that the Packers blew it. It may not be fair...this is the team that just beat Tampa and Dallas on the road...but the point is, the pressure is on. big time.

-and the Giants are what they are. a wild card team...a team with some very strong points like their pass rush, and some very weak points like their pass coverage, and some points that can go either way, like their QB play. it comes down to coaching here. If the Pack can exploit their weakness and work around their strong points, it should be a good day. It boils down to the Packers being a much more complete team than the Giants. The coaching staff has a built in advantage in preparing for the game.

-the weather does worry me. I keep thinking back to that Bears game and I'm wondering if every player on the roster is also thinking about the last time they had to play in extreme cold. The wind may have been more of an issue than anything that day, but still. I think extreme weather always favors the underdog because it's an equalizer. any game plan you had and everything that got ya this far is out the window if you can't throw the ball or plant your feet. it levels the playing field and when the Packers are favored, you don't want the playing field leveled.

-but more than anything this game comes down to the Packers just doing what got 'em here. such as:
          ---neutralize the pass rush. Clifton and Tauscher did amazing taking the Seahawks' edge rushers out of the game, and they've really been doing it all year. now they'll have another huge task with Osi, Tuck and Strahan. If they can treat them the same way they treated Patrick Kerney, the Giants strongest asset will have been eliminated.
          ---keep being physical on defense. We're playing a team that just finished a close loss against new england to end the regular season followed by 2 emotional road wins. This team has been to hell and back in the last month, and they've come out on top...but the Packers got to finish with a game that didn't matter, a bye week and a playoff game that was essentially over a little after halftime. the last thing the Giants need is another hard-hitting, physical game and the more our guys can wear 'em down the more it favors the Pack.
          ---smart QB play. the Giants secondary is a liability for 'em and it may be even worse due to injuries. Favre needs to realize that he will get his spots against 'em. there is no need to force anything. We have a good ensamble cast of WRs that match up well against a banged up secondary that's mediocre at best when healthy. There is no shame in punting if it's not there and there is no need to force it.
          ----I feel i should also say something about running the ball, but at this point it seems to obvious to even bring up.

final thoughts-I'm beyond excited for this game and i can't even explain how badly i want the Packers to be in the Superbowl. I don't know how many people remember 1996 but I was 16 and i made a point of soaking it all it. some of these players are guys that only us die hard Packer fans knew of 6 months ago. and if they win on Sunday, they'll all be the focal point of the sports world for 2 weeks.

i've refrained from making positive predictions all year long.....and it's been working for me (yeah, sometimes i can be a little superstitious) so i'm going to once again refrain from making a prediction.

Comment

Originally posted by JF4 View Post
            You make a good point about Brandon Jacobs, he's a very physical runner and he wears out defensive lines. Mix in Ahmad Bradshaw and the Giants run game is very dynamic. With Colin Cole and John Jolly both being out it will be alot tougher for our d-line to shut down the run the whole game. That being said our run stopping has been great all year and we've stopped better RB's than Jacobs and Bradshaw but those two seem to have really taking there games to another level since the Buffalo game right before christmas. If we are able to keep both RB's under a combined 120 yards i'd say it will be a success.
            It's not about stopping RBs. It's about handling our O-line which is one of the best run blocking units in the league. It is no suprise that Jacobs, Ward, and Bradshaw have all had very good success when they played. If our line continues to get great push Jacbos doesn't get touched for 3 yards and then when he does he always falls foward and you have a 6 yard run.

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
              It's not about stopping RBs. It's about handling our O-line which is one of the best run blocking units in the league. It is no suprise that Jacobs, Ward, and Bradshaw have all had very good success when they played. If our line continues to get great push Jacbos doesn't get touched for 3 yards and then when he does he always falls foward and you have a 6 yard run.
              I agree, I should've mentioned them also. A RB is nothing without an O-line. In the games I have watched of the Giants they have been dominating at the point of attack and they get usually get a geat push. Diehl is one guy on the line who is underated and a great run blocker. But like I said hopefully our ability to rotate on the d-line pays off and we can stay fresh and stop the run all 4 quarters.

I think the Giants should be equally as worried for our run game as we are for theirs. Last week the Packers put on a on run-blocking clinic against Seattle. They were pushing round all the lineman at will, getting to the second level and giving Grant the cutback to get into open field. If they can play half as good as they did against Seattle Grant will have a good game.

Random thought:
              I noticed a few times last week when the Giants were playing the Cowboys that on supposed passing downs the Giants DE's rush up field hard most of the time. The Packers have been great this year of exploiting certain parts of a d-line. I hope they can work a draw in or just run to the outside when they think the Giants DE's are going to be coming hard on the outside.
              Last edited by JF4; 01-15-2008, 10:05 AM.

stephenson86

Comment

Originally posted by JF4 View Post
                I agree, I should've mentioned them also. A RB is nothing without an O-line. In the games I have watched of the Giants they have been dominating at the point of attack and they get usually get a geat push. Diehl is one guy on the line who is underated and a great run blocker. But like I said hopefully our ability to rotate on the d-line pays off and we can stay fresh and stop the run all 4 quarters.

I think the Giants should be equally as worried for our run game as we are for theirs. Last week the Packers put on a on run-blocking clinic against Seattle. They were pushing round all the lineman at will, getting to the second level and giving Grant the cutback to get into open field. If they can play half as good as they did against Seattle Grant will have a good game.

Random thought:
                I noticed a few times last week when the Giants were playing the Cowboys that on supposed passing downs the Giants DE's rush up field hard most of the time. The Packers have been great this year of exploiting certain parts of a d-line. I hope they can work a draw in or just run to the outside when they think the Giants DE's are going to be coming hard on the outside.

Only thing I take solice in, is the fact we know Grant very well. We scouted him, signed him, and he was with us for a while. So we know his strengths and weaknesses. So it will be interesting to see this game because these two teams are totally different than week 2 when we played last.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
                  Only thing I take solice in, is the fact we know Grant very well. We scouted him, signed him, and he was with us for a while. So we know his strengths and weaknesses. So it will be interesting to see this game because these two teams are totally different than week 2 when we played last.
                  This is true. Grant was with us for three training camps. And one full season on the practice squad.

Comment

This is true. Grant was with us for three training camps. And one full season on the practice squad.
                    The Grant you will see is not the same Grant he was during his time in N.Y.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
                      By now, any team that plays the Packers know Grant like the back of their hand. You watch SO much film in the week leading up to the game you learn everyones tendencies.

Grant is the same player he was with NY. He is the ideal RB for a ZBS. He makes one cut and goes upfield.
                      I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                      Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Favre4ever View Post
                        The Grant you will see is not the same Grant he was during his time in N.Y.
                        We saw it. We saw it this preseason. Coaches said they saw it earlier. It was just a numbers game. Coaches just liked Bradshaw, Jacobs, and Ward better.

Comment

We saw it. We saw it this preseason. Coaches said they saw it earlier. It was just a numbers game. Coaches just liked Bradshaw, Jacobs, and Ward better.
                          They obviously didn't see it. He is a better running back than all those guys(Jacobs and Grant are pretty close, it could go either way.)
                          I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                          Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by someone447 View Post
                            By now, any team that plays the Packers know Grant like the back of their hand. You watch SO much film in the week leading up to the game you learn everyones tendencies.

Grant is the same player he was with NY. He is the ideal RB for a ZBS. He makes one cut and goes upfield.
                            Yeah well that's true for football in general. But I am guessing he was our scout team player who the first D went up against when we would play teams with shifty backs. So in those terms I was talking about.

Comment

They obviously didn't see it. He is a better running back than all those guys(Jacobs and Grant are pretty close, it could go either way.)
                              I wouldn't say he is better than any of those guys except maybe Ward only because of injuries with him. He probably fits your scheme better than any of them, but that doesn't mean he is neccesarily better.

I wish we had room for him. He was someone I wanted to keep but there just wasn't room and I was happy to get a 6th round pick for a guy who was getting cut anyway. He was really only competing with Bradshaw, and at the time Bradsahw offered more on special teams.

Comment

We did see it but we are not going to keep Jacobs, Bradshaw, Droughns, Ward AND Grant.. So we traded Grant. Now with Reese as our new GM, I am sure we can find someone else. Runnings backs are a dime a dozen. I am glad he fits your system, but it was a numbers game and he got traded.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information