Complete Roster Analysis and Offseason Plan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SunDevil450 View Post
    post was pretty impressive and with the all your comment we are bound to find some disagreements but as for the draft does anyone have any interest in owen schmitt i kno this is more of just wanting a sexy pick at fullback. But with the emphasis MM puts on the fullbacks wouldnt it be nice to have and elite on like schmitt
    Anyone with disagreements feel free to post the,.

As for Schmitt, no. We have not one but two fullbacks who played well and fit our offense. There's no reason to take one at all, and especially not for a third or 4th round pick. Schmitt would be much better that Hilis as some others have suggested though.

Comment

I agree that FB really isnt a need at all. Both did a good job and Hall was a rookie converted linebacker for gods sake. Isnt the most talented guy in the world, but there isnt any reason Hall cant improve a lot next year and he's already pretty good. If he made an instant transition to FB and peaked as a rookie, then fine draft another guy, but if he didnt (bout 99.9% sure he didnt) then we're fine.
      JORDYZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Comment

fair enough being a homer of wvu prolly brought on that post but i can see how its smart to keep hall and kuhn both did well

Comment

good work a nice read theres only 1 thing i disagree with is paul smith bein our 3rd QB we only had 2 at the start of the season last year and i dont see us keepin more than 2 (favre , rodgers )unless 1 of them gest hurt b4 the season starts i say we keep moll instead of smith

Comment

Looking at our competition we stack up really well personnel wise - I noticed this reading the team needs for this site. I wrote this based on what Scott said, I know other things are going to happen as well.

Packers: need CB/LB depth, Scott thinks we should replace Bigby

NFCN
            Bears: no QB, losing starter at RT and LT getting old, LG is old and FA
            Lions: glaring holes at RT and CB
            Vikings: look pretty good, but have to replace busts at WR, DE, and both backup safeties are FAs and starters aren't guarantees (Sharper old, Smith legal troubles)

Elite
            Giants: look decent, but need starter at OLB, CB depth is old and may need 1 starter, 1 FA safety and the other blew coverages with poor depth
            Cowboys: FA CB with poor depth, starting receivers are old (Glenn might retire), need RB to share time
            Colts: may lose both starting guards
            Patriots: old LBs (2 might retire), star CB definitely leaving team

Lots of these teams are going to have to find starters one way or another and some have cap trouble, others aging players, while for the most part we look to only improve.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Great amount of work you put in on this with tremendous analysis.

That being said, I disagree on several points:
              -There is no reason to carry three QBs next season. Waste of roster and cap space, along with a waste of a draft pick.
              -At TE, I see Donald Lee and nothing behind him. You might see Bubba getting better, but I do not think he's a good fit for this offense and he is taking away from building the position with his lack of production. As much as I'd like Bubba to get back to being Bubba of Pro Bowl days past, he's holding the position back. I'd like a trade or draft, and a FA pickup if there's anyone out there. I'm still irritated that we didn't make a play for a TE last year.
              -Bigby does not excite me. He's a lower third safety. Yep, he gave out some good whacks, but he does not look anywhere close to being comfortable in coverage, and once again, the SS is responsible for the thrid year in a row of giving up the most TDs. I so much prefer Rouse. I'd like to see this position addressed yet again. Collins, Rouse, Bigby and someone new.
              -B-Pop needs to be upgraded. Tavaris Gooden would be a great selection. Brady played very well against the Giants, but I can't think of too many other games where I noticed too many positive plays and I noticed a number of negative plays, mainly involving coverage. I think he'd be better in 3-4 in which he's used as a rush end more, but unless we trade him, he'd make a decent back-up and maybe he could hone his rush skills if he didn't worry about being in coverage. Toss in the health issues of the other LB backups, and I'd be happy to address LB in R2.
              -Picking up Jake Scott would be a good move, but things like that are so often not in your control. I read the Moss interview about how he lost interest in playing for the Packers when McCarthy told him that good behavior was expected in GB and that Driver was the #1 receiver. Because McCarthy didn't blow him he went to the Patriots. Regardless, I like how TT evaluates college linemen more than he evaluates free agent linemen. I'm personally looking forward to Coston and Spitz next year, and I'd like Colledge and Moll to be backing up at the tackle spots, so that when Clifton and Tauscher move on or get hurt, there are capable replacements and you don't have to take an OG and move him to OT and replace him at OG and end up with two line changes instead of one on an injury. Not sure there's anyone in the draft I'm thrilled about. If we want to build some depth, maybe we should pick up PJ Alexander, who has 4 years in the Denver ZBS and 1 year with Atlanta, though I'm not sure if they were running the ZBS in 2006. That ZBS experience might be something he could help work with the young guys on.
              -Mike Montgomery is fine against the run. What I don't like about him is he doesn't stay healthy. Harrell will hopefully be more than he was this past year as he gets healthier. I'm not sure why they kept Daniel Muir. If he is going to be the 10+ lineman again, it would be better to trade him and shore up another area of concern with that roster spot, like o-line or cb. If there was a good DE available, maybe, but given AK, KGB, Jenkins, Jason Hunter and Michael Montgomery, I don't really feel the need to draft here, nor at WR, QB or RB.
              -Speaking of CB, this is where I'd like R1 pick to go. Lee would be a nice catch, but I'm still hopefull of DRC. Going back to it in R3 isn't a bad idea, but I'd rather see an R3 TE if one of value is available. I do like Tramon Williams, but unless Blackmon can be healthy, I'd just assume get three new CBs behind our starters and Williams.

For the draft choices, OK first day, but I'm not really feeling after R2. Rounds R3-7, just not picks I hope we take. We gave a sixth rounder for Ryan Grant, obviously we won on that trade. I am hopeful that we'll get a compensatory pick or two. Maybe a 5th and 7th, but you never know.
              I'd like CB, LB, SS, TE, maybe OG if there's no one if FA that can be brought in. The TT way of doing things is to trade down, have another 9 to 12 players and then have a blood bath in TC. I'm not sure he'll move around that much, and with his six picks, I'd like to see him address the primary needs first, unless a player with incredible value is sitting there.

Those are just my thoughts after digesting your incredible post. I'm very interested to see what TT is going to do in FA and the draft this year, given that he's picking at the #30 spot rather than in the top half of the rounds.

Thanks for the incredible amount of work for me to post on for my 2000th!
              The pain fades and the good memories will remain.

Comment

I completely agree with you about the third round pick, I think TE for sure. Jermichael Finley, Cottam, or Kellen Davis (who might be a reach) could all be possibilities. I say Finley because he is an incredible athlete, Cottam because he could be the next Jason Witten and his size is undeniable, and Kellen Davis because he is solid all around. For Round one CB, LB, or DE. TT is a great evaluator for dbacks: Marcus Trufant, Ken Hamlin, and for bringing in Charles Woodson to the Packers. So I would guess that he might draft one in the first, and I would hope for DRC. His potential is just stratching the surface and he will receive great instruction from Al and Charles. However, if Calias Campbell is still around after the 23rd or 24th pick, I wouldnt mind trading up to get him. The only LB i would want in the first is Dan Connor, but what about shawn crable, he is huge, fast, and played in a 4-3 defense as well as connor, so he might even be a possibility. 2nd round if we didnt draft a corner in the first, then i would want one. Charles godfry would be a great pick there, although he might be gone. Also I wouldnt mind Antoine Cason, who could very well be there, or possibly Terrell Thomas. If corner was drafted in first then LB, or OL. Anthony Collins would be a steal if he landed to the packers in the 2nd round, I like the idea of drafting a Miami linebacker, because they are tough as nails. Possible late round players: LB Larry Grant Ohio State, OL Jeremy Zuttah Rutgers, extremely athletic, Jack Ikegwuonu- a beast who got hurt, and S Jamie Silva Boston College-heart and soul of their defense.

Comment

Originally posted by johbur View Post
                  Great amount of work you put in on this with tremendous analysis.

That being said, I disagree on several points:
                  -There is no reason to carry three QBs next season. Waste of roster and cap space, along with a waste of a draft pick
                  I understand that reasoning completely and that is probably the more likely thing to happen. However with Favre yet another year closer to the end I can see McCarthy wanting to groom a capable backup to have for many years in the future. Also don't forget that last year was the first time we didn't carry 3 QBs in Favre's 16 years. It's really not a waste of a draft pick seeing it's the third to last pick in the draft.

-At TE, I see Donald Lee and nothing behind him. You might see Bubba getting better, but I do not think he's a good fit for this offense and he is taking away from building the position with his lack of production. As much as I'd like Bubba to get back to being Bubba of Pro Bowl days past, he's holding the position back. I'd like a trade or draft, and a FA pickup if there's anyone out there. I'm still irritated that we didn't make a play for a TE last year.
                  Did you read all of what I wrote for him? Cutting him would only hurt us. It's better to keep him than take big cap penalty to cut him. We're going to carry three tight ends anyway. Also I did address TE in the 4th round, maybe you just didn't see it. I'd take Franks over any of the available free agent tight ends.
                  -Bigby does not excite me. He's a lower third safety. Yep, he gave out some good whacks, but he does not look anywhere close to being comfortable in coverage, and once again, the SS is responsible for the thrid year in a row of giving up the most TDs. I so much prefer Rouse. I'd like to see this position addressed yet again. Collins, Rouse, Bigby and someone new.
                  Bigby or Rouse is just a matter of preference at this point. For me I would much rather it be Bigby, but it's split opinion among Packer fans. You said you'd like to see the position addressed, but there's not really anywhere to go. In free agency there is no one worth a visit. In the draft there's only Kenny Phillips, who I'd love to have, but he'll be gone before we pick. If we bring in a 2nd or 3rd round safety will they be an upgrade over what we have? I doubt it. It'd just clog up the position more. We have three guys that could become something great, and need time to see which if any can reach that.
                  -B-Pop needs to be upgraded. Tavaris Gooden would be a great selection. Brady played very well against the Giants, but I can't think of too many other games where I noticed too many positive plays and I noticed a number of negative plays, mainly involving coverage. I think he'd be better in 3-4 in which he's used as a rush end more, but unless we trade him, he'd make a decent back-up and maybe he could hone his rush skills if he didn't worry about being in coverage. Toss in the health issues of the other LB backups, and I'd be happy to address LB in R2.
                  That's pretty much the same thing I said and it's not a disagreement. :p
                  I read the Moss interview about how he lost interest in playing for the Packers when McCarthy told him that good behavior was expected in GB and that Driver was the #1 receiver. Because McCarthy didn't blow him he went to the Patriots.
                  I saw that too, but the reason he didn't come to Green Bay was not because of something McCarthy did. It's because we only wanted to trade a 5th rounder. We offer our 4th and Oakland trades him to us. Obviously getting a guy who doesn't want to play for you would be a dumb move, but that was all in our control.
                  -Picking up Jake Scott would be a good move, but things like that are so often not in your control.
                  That said, Jake Scott would be a completely different situation than Randy Moss. Moss is an ego centered star WR and we know all about his antics. Also the good behavior and accepting being the number 2 WR was key to Moss but wouldn't be a problem with Scott. Scott has never had problems and would be "the guy" from day one.
                  Regardless, I like how TT evaluates college linemen more than he evaluates free agent linemen.
                  What do you mean more than he evaluates free agent lineman? He's never really done that. Matt O'Dwyer and Adrian Klemm were not meant to be the answer to our guard problems. They were low salary stop gaps. Thompson knew that's what he was getting when he signed them, it wasn't due to lack of evaluation but lack of funds. This year we have plenty of cap room to get the right guy.
                  I'm personally looking forward to Coston and Spitz next year, and I'd like Colledge and Moll to be backing up at the tackle spots, so that when Clifton and Tauscher move on or get hurt, there are capable replacements and you don't have to take an OG and move him to OT and replace him at OG and end up with two line changes instead of one on an injury.
                  If it comes to that I'd be ok with it, but I'd like to at least try to upgrade it.
                  Not sure there's anyone in the draft I'm thrilled about.
                  Me either.
                  [QOUTE]If we want to build some depth, maybe we should pick up PJ Alexander, who has 4 years in the Denver ZBS and 1 year with Atlanta, though I'm not sure if they were running the ZBS in 2006. That ZBS experience might be something he could help work with the young guys on.[/quote] Depth isn't a problem, it's just getting someone to emerge as starters.
                  Harrell will hopefully be more than he was this past year as he gets healthier.
                  I fully expect that. Besides getting healthier he's going to get more playing time to get the impact wanted.
                  I'm not sure why they kept Daniel Muir. If he is going to be the 10+ lineman again, it would be better to trade him and shore up another area of concern with that roster spot, like o-line or cb.
                  We wanted to keep the best players on our team and Muir definitely earned the spot. It also prepared us for the loss of Williams. We'll still have a strong rotation should we lose Williams. Everyone just moves up a spot and Muir takes where Harrell was last year.
                  If there was a good DE available, maybe, but given AK, KGB, Jenkins, Jason Hunter and Michael Montgomery, I don't really feel the need to draft here
                  It's not a glaring need, but we don't have many needs. I didn't really plan on drafting a DE, but when I got to that pick it was the most logical place to go. QB, WR, FB, DT, C, T, K, and P are already set now, I adressed G in free agency, and solidified CB, LB, and TE with earlier picks. That left RB, DE, and S. I feel comfortable going with the RBs we have, and I already explained safety, that left DE. While it's a small need I'd like to see some competition for Montgomery.
                  -Speaking of CB, this is where I'd like R1 pick to go. Lee would be a nice catch, but I'm still hopefull of DRC
                  If DRC was the pick I'd be ok with it, but there are guys I'd like more for us. Also he looks to be rising to the point he won't be around at 30 anyway.
                  Going back to it in R3 isn't a bad idea, but I'd rather see an R3 TE if one of value is available.
                  I could see TE in the third, but getting Williams would be better value than any TE available and we would solve our depth problem at corner in one draft.
                  but unless Blackmon can be healthy, I'd just assume get three new CBs behind our starters and Williams.
                  I like Blackmon, but like you said he can't be counted on. I like Tramon as well, but he's never going to be a starter, and as far as nickelbacks go he's a bottom level one right now.
                  We gave a sixth rounder for Ryan Grant, obviously we won on that trade.
                  That alone makes the draft a success already.
                  I am hopeful that we'll get a compensatory pick or two. Maybe a 5th and 7th, but you never know.
                  I'll tell you right now that I don't know the exact way they figure out comp picks, but the two main factors are salary and playing time. Because Green was hurt and didn't play much I think 5th and 7th is probably a little much. He did get a nice contract so we'll get something, I'm thinking a 6th or 5th.
                  ] The TT way of doing things is to trade down, have another 9 to 12 players and then have a blood bath in TC. I'm not sure he'll move around that much, and with his six picks, I'd like to see him address the primary needs first, unless a player with incredible value is sitting there.
                  That was to fill out our roster and get young players at every position. This year it's different because we have that from the past drafts and need players that can help us out now. If we draft 11 again we are going to have to cut some relatively high picks from the past couple years. If we move around in the draft I'd rather it be up. Knowing Thompson though I'm sure we'll see at least one trade down.

Those are just my thoughts after digesting your incredible post. I'm very interested to see what TT is going to do in FA and the draft this year, given that he's picking at the #30 spot rather than in the top half of the rounds.
                  Thank you.

Thanks for the incredible amount of work for me to post on for my 2000th!
                  You're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by bigboiajhawk View Post
                    I completely agree with you about the third round pick, I think TE for sure. Jermichael Finley, Cottam, or Kellen Davis (who might be a reach) could all be possibilities.
                    I don't think the value of any of them is worth a third rounder.
                    I say Finley because he is an incredible athlete, Cottam because he could be the next Jason Witten and his size is undeniable, and Kellen Davis because he is solid all around.
                    Finley would be the one from that group that would take consideration. I like Kellen Davis and actually thought about taking him at some point, but the third is too high. I'm not exactly sure where he fits in right now.
                    if Calias Campbell is still around after the 23rd or 24th pick, I wouldnt mind trading up to get him.
                    We already discussed our thoughts on DEs. Campbell I like, but I wouldn't trade up for him.
                    The only LB i would want in the first is Dan Connor, but what about shawn crable, he is huge, fast, and played in a 4-3 defense as well as connor, so he might even be a possibility.
                    Connor is who I like as well. I actually like him more than Rivers. Crable I wouldn't want in the first. I think a team that he fits in better will be willing to pick him mid second before our pick.
                    Anthony Collins would be a steal if he landed to the packers in the 2nd round
                    I don't think he lasts and while the value there would be too good to pass up, I wouldn't be thrilled with it.

Comment

OK. Time for a new plan. Brett is retiring. Someone hit the panic button. Maybe we should sign Jason Hunter to a 7 year $49 million dollar contract. Oh, wait. Al Davis has that base covered. Maybe we should find a mediocre receiver and sign him to a huge contract and give up on our former #1 pick at WR. Oh, wait. Vikings have that covered.

The Packers do have $36 million in cap or so, so I would like to see them comb over all the FAs and restricted free agents and see if there's anyone worth stealing off of someone's roster. If not, then time for our existing players to get paid and that cap room will be there next year!
                      The pain fades and the good memories will remain.

Comment

Grant, Rodgers, possibly Kampman and Jennings and Bigby will all need new contracts soon, that's gonna eat up some cap room.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information