Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Green Bay Packers Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I think we match up great against New England.
    And I like our chances in Atlanta this week too as long as we don't turn the ball over more than once.

    We should be able to hold Turner down. It's Roddy White that is their guy, but with Woodson and Tramon, you have to like our chances.

    Could be a playoff preview right here.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by J-Mike88 View Post
      I think we match up great against New England.
      And I like our chances in Atlanta this week too as long as we don't turn the ball over more than once.

      We should be able to hold Turner down. It's Roddy White that is their guy, but with Woodson and Tramon, you have to like our chances.

      Could be a playoff preview right here.
      I definitely like the matchup against the Patriots.. but Tom Brady is as elite as they get and we know about our struggles last year (and we have yet to face an elite QB this year.)

      Atlanta is definitely winnable but it's a solid D and we really need to focus on keeping White contained. I hate to say it but I think we need Tramon and a safety on him all game long and then Woodson solo on the terrifying Malcolm Jenkins. White is the only player they have that scares me.

      They're not a team that makes a lot of mistakes so we need to play good football to win it; if we get sloppy they're going to take it.


      When being a fanboi goes too far.

      Comment


      • ^ It's Michael Jenkins

        This upcoming game will really test how good our defense is. I think if we stop Turner we should be able to win this game. This game is all about the lineman however; if Raji and Co. can hold their ground and we only give up 1 or 2 sacks, we will win. If that doesn't happen this game will be very hard to win.

        The Falcons defense has some stud LB's, luckily for us we don't really run the ball. Looking at their safeties, I think we can really exploit them deep, just like we did against the Vikings.

        I am a little worried about Tony Gonzalez, I keep thinking back to the Dolphin game where they ran that misdirection type play to Fasano. Actually this game reminds me a lot of the Dolphin game. The dolphins and falcons have a good RB, One really good WR, Matt Ryan is better than Henne, and I think the Dolphins D is better. There are some similarities between the two, but...we have a healthy DL and a healthy Clay Matthews.

        Comment


        • Damn it. Looks like we'll be losing Capers after this year.

          McCarthy reiterated what he said last week: Namely, defensive coordinator Dom Capers was ready to be an NFL head coach again. "Dom Capers is a head coach-caliber individual in this league," he said. "He's built two programs. He's been a tremendous asset to me. Like I said last week, if I was an NFL owner ... I don't want to lose anybody, but there's a number of guys on our staff I'd look at and certainly Dom is one."
          He wouldn't say that unless Capers was seriously interested in being a head coach again. With all the openings there will be this year someone will definitely offer him a job.

          Comment


          • Hey we got 2 head coaches fired this year. Winner!

            Thanks to BK for the sig

            Comment


            • Originally posted by GB12 View Post
              Damn it. Looks like we'll be losing Capers after this year.
              He wouldn't say that unless Capers was seriously interested in being a head coach again. With all the openings there will be this year someone will definitely offer him a job.
              Not necessarily.
              Because of the labor schit, it sounds like more coaching hires will go/stay from within.
              Meaning Dallas is more likely to stay with Jason Garrett, whom they have groomed.
              Minny is likely to stay with Leslie Frazier.

              The other guys who will be fired for sure are John Fox in Carolina. That's the one spot where Bill Cowher is said to be willing to go because of where his family lives and loves.

              And Mike Singletary will be schitcanned too. They need to go with an offensive mind. They should try for Jon Gruden.

              Houston and Gary Kubiak might be in danger of finally being fired. And they need help on defense. Capers was their first coach when they were an expansion team. That might be a match right there. Hopefully not though. I'd prefer they bring in Wade Phillips. His daddy coached the Houston Oilers with much success, and Wade is a good defensive mind.

              I think the chances anyone hires Capers at his age are less than 50%. Let's hope he's not given any more chances. He's a much better DC than he is a head coach. Just like the Steelers D*ck Lebeau.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by GB12 View Post
                Damn it. Looks like we'll be losing Capers after this year.

                He wouldn't say that unless Capers was seriously interested in being a head coach again. With all the openings there will be this year someone will definitely offer him a job.
                Well McCarthy said that and it's expected he's going to give mad props to his favorite coordinator right now. Truth is, I think teams with openings are going to look at Capers' body of work and put a lot more stock into his past head coaching gigs and only a little stock into the defense he's ran the past 2 years. The same record is spinning around for the 3rd time now, is someone going to bite again? Then also there is the trend of younger head coaches without past HC experience having success right now.

                I feel like if he's on the market as a defensive coordinator, he'd pretty much be the Mike Vick of free agents. But as a head coach, a better analogy would be Daryn Colledge as a left tackle.

                Thanks to BK for the sig

                Comment


                • I don't see anyone going after Capers. Everywhere he's gone as a coordinator he's had success while as a head coach he's flopped. Granted he was with 2 teams in their infancy, Carolina and Houston, but I just don't see a head coaching market for Capers. He is what he is and thats being an excellent coordinator.

                  Buuuuuut, say if Capers does leave, I feel we have 2 potential replacements in Winston Moss and Kevin Greene. Though Greene could certainly use more grooming.

                  Comment


                  • What if the Vikings steal away Dom Capers this off-season, make him their head coach?

                    They take alot of our players..... you don't think they'd try to steal away Capers from us?

                    The only issues I see against that is Jared Allen would be out of position like Kampman was when we went to a 3-4, but they could and would easily trade him. Pat Williams is on his last legs anyway, and I think Kevin Williams could play DE like Cullen Jenkins has.

                    If the Vikings do well with Frazier, I think they'll keep him. But if not, watch out.

                    The other team that might go after Dom is Houston. Their defense sucks ass and he was their first coach as an expansion team, and deserves another chance. He would have some talent to work with there now compared to before.

                    Hopefully people think he's too old to turn it over to at age 60.

                    If we do lose him, I say promote Kevin Greene to DC.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by umphrey View Post
                      Well McCarthy said that and it's expected he's going to give mad props to his favorite coordinator right now. Truth is, I think teams with openings are going to look at Capers' body of work and put a lot more stock into his past head coaching gigs and only a little stock into the defense he's ran the past 2 years. The same record is spinning around for the 3rd time now, is someone going to bite again? Then also there is the trend of younger head coaches without past HC experience having success right now.

                      I feel like if he's on the market as a defensive coordinator, he'd pretty much be the Mike Vick of free agents. But as a head coach, a better analogy would be Daryn Colledge as a left tackle.
                      He's never really had a fair shot as a head coach. Both time he had to start an expansion team. And he did have some success in Carolina. He went 7-9 his first year, which is the best record ever for an expansion team. Then in just the second year he took them to the NFC Championship team. He should have gotten a few more years than he did in Carolina. And you can't really blame him for Houston not doing well. The talent on that team was ****. David Carr was a terrible quarterback, the offensive line was even worse, and there was no one good on his defense. Any coach would have failed with that roster.

                      I think that the job he's done as a coordinator is good enough to get him another shot. If he goes to a team with some talent like Dallas or Minnesota I think he could be really good.

                      Originally posted by cvv84 View Post
                      Buuuuuut, say if Capers does leave, I feel we have 2 potential replacements in Winston Moss and Kevin Greene. Though Greene could certainly use more grooming.
                      If Capers I'd place all bets on Mike Trgovac taking over.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by GB12 View Post
                        If Capers I'd place all bets on Mike Trgovac taking over.
                        Potentially, but whats holds back all of our in-house canidates back in the lack of experiece in the 3-4. Trgovac and Moss have always worked in 4-3 defenses though with Trgovac's coordinator experience he could indeed be a potential successor.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by J-Mike88 View Post
                          What if the Vikings steal away Dom Capers this off-season, make him their head coach?

                          They take alot of our players..... you don't think they'd try to steal away Capers from us?

                          The only issues I see against that is Jared Allen would be out of position like Kampman was when we went to a 3-4, but they could and would easily trade him. Pat Williams is on his last legs anyway, and I think Kevin Williams could play DE like Cullen Jenkins has.

                          If the Vikings do well with Frazier, I think they'll keep him. But if not, watch out.

                          The other team that might go after Dom is Houston. Their defense sucks ass and he was their first coach as an expansion team, and deserves another chance. He would have some talent to work with there now compared to before.

                          Hopefully people think he's too old to turn it over to at age 60.

                          If we do lose him, I say promote Kevin Greene to DC.
                          For the sake of the argument, if Dom was the Vikings head coach I don't think that would infulence players jumping ship to Minny. Yes we have alot of guys to re-sign but I don't see any reason why we won't pay them.

                          Also I always thought we had alot of the pieces in place prior to the transition to the 3-4. Jenkins, Pickett, Jolly, Barnett, Chillar, and Hawk to begin with then entered Matthews, Raji, and Brad Jones to fortify the front 7. Not many teams can make the quick transition that we did and the only current teams that I can think of that did, Dallas and San Diego, both drafted a pass rusher and defensive lineman in the 1st round during their transition year.

                          Secondly, the Vikings defense has aged and they haven't been able to find compentent replacements - particulary in the secondary. Meanwhile we had Woodson, Harris, Trammon, Collins, and Bigby to start our transition.

                          For all the glory that Frazier has received over the years, look at how he took over a dominant squad and failed to coach replacements during his tenure so far.


                          And I personally see Kubiak staying for at least another year.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by cvv84 View Post
                            Potentially, but whats holds back all of our in-house canidates back in the lack of experiece in the 3-4. Trgovac and Moss have always worked in 4-3 defenses though with Trgovac's coordinator experience he could indeed be a potential successor.
                            Yeah, but I think we'd want to avoid going outside the organization if we can. Trgovac was a very good coordinator in Carolina. Yeah, he ran a 4-3 there, but he has had 2 seasons under Capers now. He's a smart man, he's got to have picked up enough to be able to run this defense given his experience.

                            Comment


                            • Dear god I hope CApers is D coordinator next year...and the year after that. How many freakin coordinators have they went through this past decade? It's finally nice to have somebody on the defensive side who knows how to scheme and make adjustments. I hope he doesn't want to do the head coaching thing again and finds that he is comfortable where he is right now

                              I mean, Thompson has added some nice young pieces for Dom, and this is the 2nd year in the 3-4. I'd like to think he'd want to continue to coach this exciting defense

                              Comment


                              • I want Capers to last as long as our DC as Lebeau has as the Steelers DC.
                                He too failed as a HC.
                                Capers has had 2 chances, albeit both of them being expansion teams.

                                I agree that Trgovac should have learned enough in 2 years under the wizard to be able to effectively keep running the 3-4. Plus he might have a new twist or two to add to it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information