Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just 'cuz McCarthy hyped the guy doesn't mean anything. Coaches with two HC gigs and both were failures don't typically get hired for a third one. He's pretty far down the list of available head coaches. Not concerned.

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Comment

• Is anyone else impressed by how well Raji has been playing? He went into beast mode on a couple series in the vikings game and played good the entire game. When hes not double teamed hes in the backfield most of the time and is starting to look like a top 10 pick. Im loving this Howard Green.Raji.Pickett line . . .its hard to move. Thast has to be a career low for AP vs the Packers, might be the first time he didnt get 100. Go run d!

On Andrew Luck
      Originally posted by killxswitch
      People are expecting him to be some sort of alien defense-destroying robot QB and it's just not realistic.

Comment

• Yup. love Raji. 2009 draft ftw.

Love this Falcons game. I think we do match up with 'em well...but, it's still in Atlanta. It'd be our best win of the year if we can pull it off.

Win, and we can start thinking about not playing in the first round of the playoffs.

Lose, and we can keep worrying about not playing in the first round of the playoffs.

Also, GO RAVENS!

GO COWBOYS!

GO EAGLES!

Comment

• Originally posted by jsa230 View Post
          I'm loving this Howard Green * Raji * Pickett line
          I love that line too!
          That's over 1050 POUNDS OF BIG BEEF RIGHT THERE!
          And the guy in the middle (Raji) has great agility & mobility.
          Pickett does too really, when his feet are healthy.

Then we also have Cullen Jenkins.... that's a great 4 right there. Imagine if Mike Neal was still active.

Comment

• Originally posted by GB12 View Post
            Yeah, but I think we'd want to avoid going outside the organization if we can. Trgovac was a very good coordinator in Carolina. Yeah, he ran a 4-3 there, but he has had 2 seasons under Capers now. He's a smart man, he's got to have picked up enough to be able to run this defense given his experience.
            I agree, and Trgovac runs kind of a pressure 4-3 with blitzing LBs so the transition might not be as tough.

Originally posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
            Just 'cuz McCarthy hyped the guy doesn't mean anything. Coaches with two HC gigs and both were failures don't typically get hired for a third one. He's pretty far down the list of available head coaches. Not concerned.
            Still though we need to be prepared and examine potential options. Remember when Jags bolted for Boston College? Our offensive line too awhile to rebound. I'd be more concerned with Capers retiring than leaving Green Bay at this point.

Comment

• Theory: The reason we have Brad Jones and Frank Zombo and a bunch of fill ins playing ROLB is Cullen Jenkins. On the left side we have a big body (Pickett, Raji, Jolly, Howard Green have been the last 4 to play there) and Clay Matthews. The big guy eats up blockers while Clay storms the edge. On the other side, in order to take advantage of Cullen Jenkins, we have a mediocre or poor pass rusher who pretty much plays contain and drops into coverage. Cullen Jenkins storms the pocket and someone else holds the edge. We don't bother putting a pass rusher there because then we'd either have to handicap him or Jenkins.

Thoughts?

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

• This week is huge in the NFL with the #2 Eagles @ #3 Bears, and us at the #1 Falcons. Things are getting very interesting.

NFC PLAYOFF RACE

(Conference seedings)

1. *FALCONS 8-2
                2. *EAGLES 7-3
                3. BEARS 7-3
                4. *SEAHAWKS 5-5
                5. SAINTS 7-3
                6. PACKERS 7-3
                7. BUCCANEERS 7-3
                8. GIANTS 6-4
                (*denotes type of bird)

Remaining schedules
                FALCONS
                Packers (7-3)
                At Bucs (7-3)
                At Panthers (1-9)
                At Seahawks (5-5)
                Saints (7-3)
                Panthers (1-9)
                Opponents’ record: 28-32

EAGLES
                At Bears (7-3)
                Texans (4-6)
                At Cowboys (3-7)
                At Giants (6-4)
                Vikings (3-7)
                Cowboys (3-7)
                Opponents’ record: 26-34

BEARS
                Eagles (7-3)
                At Lions (2-8)
                Patriots (8-2)
                At Vikings (3-7)
                Jets (8-2)
                At Packers (7-3)
                Opponents’ record: 35-25

SAINTS
                At Cowboys (3-7)
                At Bengals (2-8)
                Rams (4-6)
                At Ravens (7-3)
                At Falcons (8-2)
                Bucs (7-3)
                Opponents’ record: 31-29

PACKERS
                At Falcons (8-2)
                49ers (3-7)
                At Lions (2-8)
                At Patriots (8-2)
                Giants (6-4)
                Bears (7-3)
                Opponents’ record: 34-26

BUCCANEERS
                At Ravens (7-3)
                Falcons (8-2)
                At Redskins (5-5)
                Lions (2-8)
                Seahawks (5-5)
                At Saints (7-3)
                Opponents’ record: 34-26

GIANTS
                Jaguars (6-4)
                Redskins (5-5)
                At Vikings (3-7)
                Eagles (7-3)
                At Packers (7-3)
                At Redskins (5-5)
                Opponents’ record: 33-27

Comment

• Originally posted by umphrey View Post
                  Well McCarthy said that and it's expected he's going to give mad props to his favorite coordinator right now. Truth is, I think teams with openings are going to look at Capers' body of work and put a lot more stock into his past head coaching gigs and only a little stock into the defense he's ran the past 2 years. The same record is spinning around for the 3rd time now, is someone going to bite again? Then also there is the trend of younger head coaches without past HC experience having success right now.

I feel like if he's on the market as a defensive coordinator, he'd pretty much be the Mike Vick of free agents. But as a head coach, a better analogy would be Daryn Colledge as a left tackle.
                  I don't think any GM should judge Dom's past HC jobs as having success on the win/lose column, but if he developed the team into a path of success. What did he bring to that new franchise. He would be perfect for a young team in need of a leader and a guy who players will play for, aka 49ers.

Comment

• Originally posted by umphrey View Post
                    Theory: The reason we have Brad Jones and Frank Zombo and a bunch of fill ins playing ROLB is Cullen Jenkins. On the left side we have a big body (Pickett, Raji, Jolly, Howard Green have been the last 4 to play there) and Clay Matthews. The big guy eats up blockers while Clay storms the edge. On the other side, in order to take advantage of Cullen Jenkins, we have a mediocre or poor pass rusher who pretty much plays contain and drops into coverage. Cullen Jenkins storms the pocket and someone else holds the edge. We don't bother putting a pass rusher there because then we'd either have to handicap him or Jenkins.

Thoughts?
                    The concept works rather well. What I'd really like to see there is a John Anderson type (remember that guy?) who can contain the edge and be an exceptional cover LB with the sort of athleticism needed to keep up with today's brand of TEs and RBs. Think someone approaching DeAndre Levy's speed and a couple inches or so extra height.

And imagine if you could then teach this defense to play a mirror version of itself- get Clay on the right and Jenkins on the left, and just play a Chess Match with the opposing offenses all game long.

Comment

• Cool video from Sterling & Baldy on the Packers defense, plus some articles from the Atlanta local media:
                      www.packersinsider.com

-Falcons are 18-3 under Smith in the Georgia Dome. The Falcons are 5-0 and averaging 29.8 points at home this season.

-Matt Ryan is 18-1 in the Georgia Dome as a starter.

-The Packers have 29 sacks, which ranks fourth in the NFL. The Falcons' offensive line faced a similar challenge last week against the Rams, who were tied for the league lead in sacks at the time. The Falcons held them sackless.

Todd McClure and his linemates have yielded only 15 sacks this season and have not allowed one in three of the past four games.

-Packers defense ranks second in lowest opposing quarterback passer rating at 66.5.

-Roddy White has 79 catches for 1,017 yards and 7 touchdowns. Greg Jennings has 46 catches for 703 yards and 9 touchdowns. White has caught 11 passes or more in 3 different games.

-The Packers have not been allowing points in the red zone -- or otherwise.

Over the past 13 quarters, the Packers have allowed one touchdown. In four road games, the defense has allowed five touchdowns. Also in road games, they kept the New York Jets and Minnesota Vikings from scoring a touchdown.

-Packers defense ranked second in the NFL with 15 interceptions and are second in defensive touchdowns with four. The unit ranks first in fewest touchdowns allowed with 14.

Comment

• Coaches speak about Frank Zombo. ZOMBO!!!
                        Quotes from Capers & Greene.

Dom Capers:
                        “I’ve always felt the good defenses, you might have two or three guys that make a lot of plays, and you’ve got a lot of really good guys that are solid at what they do.
                        Zombo has been very consistent, plays the run well, fits where he’s supposed to fit. Personally for me, I’d rather have a guy that is disciplined and tough and consistent than a guy that is extremely talented and is a ‘sometimes’ guy where out of five plays, you might get one great play where everybody goes ‘wow’ and then two or three times he’s not where he’s supposed to be."

“Zombo is one of those guys in a 60-play game, there might be a few negative plays that show up. For example, last week we had a fire-zone with Woodson free, and they dump the ball off to Toby Gerhart, and Zombo misses the tackle, and they get the first down. Later in the game, he had almost the exact same play, and he got the guy down.”

Kevin Greene, reviewing game film vs Minnesota and behemoth LT Bryant Sugar Daddy McKinnie:
                        “Who’s kicking who’s (butt)?” Greene asks rhetorically. “Seriously, straight up. He’s changing the line of scrimmage on a guy who weighs 350 pounds and (went to the) Pro Bowl. This is David and Goliath. It’s Zombo kicking a big man’s (butt), if you ever want to see what a (butt) kicking looks like. McKinnie’s job is to hit him in the lips and blow him off the ball, move him off the line of scrimmage. Not the other way around. Whose feet are going back? McKinnie’s.”

With each highlight Greene showed, the former star outside linebacker, who is in his second season on the Packers’ coaching staff, became more excited. At various points, he’d just yell, “Zombo!”

“I think he can give us some pass rush,” Capers said. “He’s a physical guy. They’ve got as big a tackle as we’ve faced, and I saw him walk the tackle back into Favre, and Favre had to throw (off balance). With pass rush, it’s just as important for that quarterback to feel constant pressure into him than maybe a guy who’s running around the edge but four out of five times he’s pushed by the quarterback. A lot of these guys that come out of college, that’s what they’re doing. They run around the edge and get washed out.”

Back in the film room, Greene has more clips to show, but someone interrupts.

“OK, we’re almost done,” Greene said. “I want to show you one in particular. Watch this run. They try to run a delayed screen on Zombo. Guess what? Tackle for no gain.”

Comment

• Anyone else besides me and KG like just yelling out the name ZOMBO! ???

I thought it was just me until I heard/read Kevin Greene yelling that name.
                          What a name.

Matt Ryan, you've just been ZOMBONATED!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by J-Mike88 View Post
                            Anyone else besides me and KG like just yelling out the name ZOMBO! ???
                            Most definitely! It's like a combination of Zombie and Rambo, which are two of the most bad ass things in the world. Could you imagine a Zombie Rambo, tearing up Portland and eating Brian Dennehy's brains. I'm going to get a Zombo jersey at some point. When I feel relatively certain that he'll be sticking with us for awhile.
                            Last edited by senormysterioso; 11-26-2010, 11:27 PM.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS

Comment

• Originally posted by senormysterioso View Post
                              Most definitely! It's like a combination of Zombie and Rambo, which are two of the most bad ass things in the world. Could you imagine a Zombie Rambo, tearing up Portland and eating Brian Dennehy's brains. I'm going to get a Zombo jersey at some point. When I feel relatively certain that he'll be sticking with us for awhile.
                              Don't think that'll ever happen. Certainly not as a starter at least. I'd still take a healthy Brad Jones over him, and we should be drafting someone to start over both of them.

On a semi-related note, I saw a guy in a Havner jersey last week. As awesome as that is, I'm sure he had that before Havner was cut and luckily got to break it out again. Too risky to drop money for a jersey on those bottom end guys, especially since you have make it custom.

Comment

• Brad Jones didnt' really show much, and so far he seems to not be able to stay healthy. I wouldn't be surprised if Zombo passes him up and stays ahead of him next season. Of course, the Pack should draft another OLB either way. I do like Zombo, though. Good story, as well as with Shields

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information