Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Green Bay Packers Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
    couple of thoughts...

    4. The depth in our front seven SUCKS!

    I think this is a little bit of an overstatement on your part. I mean we lose Cullen as the only real player from last years roster. Barnett and Chillar didn't play enough to earn consideration. I agree our ILB backups are light, FA just started and I am sure if TT is not happy with Smith and whomever else, he will pick up a guy. I am really not worried about this.

    Our DL loses one guy, our rookies from last year get another year to improve their abilities. Therefore we gain their increase in skills. Plus another year of improvement from Raji. I think our DL play will actually improve this year even with the loss of Jenkins.

    Our OLB's improve as all of our young guys from last year have another year of increased skills/strength/speed. We add Elmore who led the PAC-10 in sacks and we get CM3 another year of improvement.

    So realistically our front seven improves slightly, and I would be willing to say that TT does something if he is not happy with the ILB depth. Why overpay for a FA ILB right now when we can wait and let the prices come down on these FA's. Plus we will get to see whether Smith, Jackson, or Joseph can actually play.

    I'm not saying you have to be optimistic but you are sounding too pessimistic right now.

    Comment


    • I will admit that I'm afraid of the Eagles. I think we're still better, but I'm afraid. That said, it's far from a sure thing that Vick puts together a season like he did last year.

      Jenkins leaving, while entirely predictable, is disappointing. Philly got a pretty good deal, at least for as long as he's able to keep up his level of play. The front office didn't go after him because we need to keep money freed up for youth. There's a system in place, and while losing these guys makes me nervous., the system obviously works. Neal looked good last year for the brief time that he was healthy. He's not going to be Jenkins, but I think he'll play well and soften the blow.

      I would really like to see us keep Jones. We don't need him. In fact, even without him our receiving corps is better than it was last year (Finley, Cobb). With Jones it's unbelievable. If he can go somewhere and get consistent opportunities as a #1 or #2, I can see him putting up some great numbers. Really glad he's not going to be a Viking. Reportedly Arizona's not in it either now.

      The biggest improvement we're getting this season is in the run game.
      Grant over Jackson is a big difference. We'll also have a healthy James Starks ready to start the season. I'm also a huge Alex Green fan, but he'll probably have a fairly strong learner's curve.

      Sig thanks to mockalicious

      Comment


      • the front 7 is fine. The only issue is obviously ILB depth. Just add a solid vet who understands he 3-4 and then see what happens in TC with guys like Brad Jones(who is being moved to ILB) and whatever camp bodies they bring in.

        I'm liking the DLine a lot to be honest. Of course, it is REALLY important that Neal is able to stay healthy this year. This guy is a beast and in his limited snaps that he played last year, he graded out very highly. I love this dudes work ethic and I love how he's coming in with a pissed off attitude. Pissed that he wasn't a part of the team that won it all. Neal, CJ Wilson(who got better as the season went on), Raji, Pickett, Green and Lawrence Guy. Nothing wrong with that IMO

        Comment


        • Originally posted by jackalope View Post
          I will admit that I'm afraid of the Eagles. I think we're still better, but I'm afraid. That said, it's far from a sure thing that Vick puts together a season like he did last year.
          See this is where I find it funny, its not the 1st time a team loaded up in FA and looked to be unstoppable. Lets not forget a few things here:

          1) Vick had a career season - at age 31!

          2) Vick has only played in 16 games once during his career.

          3) The Eagles offensive line was terrible and they did little to nothing to improve it this offseason. They gave up 50 sacks last year!

          4) They have their former OFFENSIVE LINE coach now coaching their DEFENSE!

          5) They have nobody at LB.

          6) Their top WR is holding out. Their 2nd best WR is mysteriously still sick from mono - months later.

          7) Jason Babin is coming off a career season at age 30.

          8) They're banking on all these new guys being able to gel in a month. Not too mention fit into their scheme.


          Basically yes on paper they vastly improved but let's be realistic, how often does a big free agent(s) signings work out? Alot has to go right in order for a Superbowl run. Take a look at us last year, we barely made the playoffs and had to go on a 5 game run of elimination games just to get to the Superbowl. The Eagles made a ton of big moves but also took a ton of big risks as well, but as last year showed us you have to get hot at the right time.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by BloodBrother View Post
            the front 7 is fine. The only issue is obviously ILB depth. Just add a solid vet who understands he 3-4 and then see what happens in TC with guys like Brad Jones(who is being moved to ILB) and whatever camp bodies they bring in.

            I'm liking the DLine a lot to be honest. Of course, it is REALLY important that Neal is able to stay healthy this year. This guy is a beast and in his limited snaps that he played last year, he graded out very highly. I love this dudes work ethic and I love how he's coming in with a pissed off attitude. Pissed that he wasn't a part of the team that won it all. Neal, CJ Wilson(who got better as the season went on), Raji, Pickett, Green and Lawrence Guy. Nothing wrong with that IMO
            Its fine just as long as nobody gets injured! We're lacking depth, thats for sure, especially at LB. I'm fine with the defensive line because I believe that Neal, Green, Wilson, Wynn, and Guy will be fine at DE. In fact I think that if Guy applies himself to getting better he could end up being a big steal for us.

            However I'm concerned with our LBs. Our best coverage LB is gone and while Hawk has improved in that area he's still prone to being beaten. Bishop isn't a turn and run LB either and the same goes for Zombo. That just leaves Matthews, of whom we need to rush the passer, and Jones who hasn't quite exactally been a model of consistancy.

            I'd like to see us persue a guy like Manny Lawson. Someone who while isn't a sack artist, can still apply pressure and is descent in coverage.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by cvv84 View Post
              Its fine just as long as nobody gets injured! We're lacking depth, thats for sure, especially at LB. I'm fine with the defensive line because I believe that Neal, Green, Wilson, Wynn, and Guy will be fine at DE. In fact I think that if Guy applies himself to getting better he could end up being a big steal for us.

              However I'm concerned with our LBs. Our best coverage LB is gone and while Hawk has improved in that area he's still prone to being beaten. Bishop isn't a turn and run LB either and the same goes for Zombo. That just leaves Matthews, of whom we need to rush the passer, and Jones who hasn't quite exactally been a model of consistancy.

              I'd like to see us persue a guy like Manny Lawson. Someone who while isn't a sack artist, can still apply pressure and is descent in coverage.
              I'm sorry but I disagree with your assessment on Chillar, he plays a lot in coverage situations but I think he's very overrated in that department - seldom did you ever see Chillar make a play that Hawk or Bishop or Barnett were not capable of. I'd like to see what DJ Smith can do - he's small, yes - but he's quick and makes a lot of tackles. Jones I think is probably better suited to moving inside and I think that if they can get someone more reliably rushing the passer from WLB, then Matthews may be asked to drop more - and he certainly shows decent coverage potential.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Coombser View Post
                I'm sorry but I disagree with your assessment on Chillar, he plays a lot in coverage situations but I think he's very overrated in that department - seldom did you ever see Chillar make a play that Hawk or Bishop or Barnett were not capable of. I'd like to see what DJ Smith can do - he's small, yes - but he's quick and makes a lot of tackles. Jones I think is probably better suited to moving inside and I think that if they can get someone more reliably rushing the passer from WLB, then Matthews may be asked to drop more - and he certainly shows decent coverage potential.
                I'd check again if I were you about what Chillar did against opposing TEs.

                Comment


                • James Jones back with the Packers for 3 years. Details to come.

                  Comment


                  • was about to just post it. That's exciting news. 3 years? Wow!

                    next up is John Kuhn and then perhaps some ILB. AFter that it's extensions for Sitton, Finley and perhaps Nelson?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by BloodBrother View Post
                      was about to just post it. That's exciting news. 3 years? Wow!

                      next up is John Kuhn and then perhaps some ILB. AFter that it's extensions for Sitton, Finley and perhaps Nelson?
                      3 years is perfect. Gives Nelson and Cobb time to develop.

                      Hopefully Kuhn is back. I'd hate to see him go. And as for extentions, Sitton is top priority. Finley needs to stay healthy, maybe an in-season extention?


                      Reportedly Rodgers and Driver went to bat for Jones with the front office.

                      Comment


                      • With Jackson gone, I think they need to lock up Kuhn and then have him take Jackson's role as the 3rd down back, etc. Don't know if they can trust Starks/Green immediately to fulfill that role and pick up blitzers, etc


                        Agreed that Sitton will now be priority #1. I think it's a foregone conclusion that the Pack will lock him up to a long term deal sometime this season.

                        This is a really smart move by the Packers. Driver is one of my all time favorite Packers, but the fact is that RIGHT NOW, Jones and Nelson are definitely better than him. It is a business, and you always have to be thinking ahead. Jones and Nelson offer more to this team in the present and future. Glad to see them not let Jones go in favor of keeping Driver around and now the band is back together. Deeeeep WR corps with Cobb added to th emix

                        Comment


                        • Hopefully we will see some 5 wide sets this year...

                          Jennings
                          Nelson
                          Finley
                          Jones
                          Driver/Cobb

                          I'd like to see how the Eagles try to defend that haha!

                          Comment


                          • Barnett to the Bills. 3 years for $12 million with $6 million guaranteed.

                            Comment


                            • John Kuhn back with the Packers. 3 year deal

                              his agent says it will make him one of the highest paid FB's in the league

                              Texans were apparently after him especially after Leach signed with the Ravens
                              Last edited by BloodBrother; 07-31-2011, 05:04 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by BloodBrother View Post
                                John Kuhn back with the Packers. 3 year deal

                                his agent says it will make him one of the highest paid FB's in the league

                                Texans were apparently after him especially after Leach signed with the Ravens
                                Kuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhnnnnn!!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information