Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, hours after Rodgers said he wanted to see Jones and Kuhn back, both guys end up signing with them. Think he knew something beforehand?

Either way, this offense is looking downright scary

And here's another recap on the offseason so far:

Additions:
    *Mason Crosby - re-signed to 5yr/14.75 mill with 3 mill guaranteed
    *Spencer Havner - re-signed
    *Brett Swain - re-signed
    *James Jones - re-signed to 3 yr deal
    *John Kuhn - re-signed to 3 yr deal

Cuts:
    * Brandon Chillar
    * Justin Harrell
    * Brady Poppinga
    * Mark Tauscher
    * Nick Barnett
    * Michael Greco
    * Curtis Young

UFA:
    *Anthony Smith - Not much to report on so far

Players Lost:
    *Daryn Colledge - signs 5yr/28 mill with Arizona. $8 mill guaranteed, $14 mill in first 2 years
    *Brandon Jackson - signs 2yr/4.5 mill with Cleveland
    *Jason Spitz - Signs 3 yr deal with Jacksonville
    *Korey Hall - Signed with New Orleans Saints
    *Cullen Jenkins - Signed 5yr/25 mill deal with Eagles. Could end up becoming only a 1yr/4 mill deal
    *Atari Bigby - He hasn't officially signed with anybody, but it's clear he is gone. Alex Green now has Bigby's number. More evidence that he is gone

Comment

• Great news!

On offense, every starter except Colledge was brought back, in addition to adding Sherrod and Cobb and Green with the first 3 picks. The Big 4 WRs are back, and J-Mike is returning. The two bookend tackles of the future are hopefully here as well.

On defense, ILB depth has thinned out, but OLB remains the same essentially, with former starter Brad Jones returning and Ricky Elmore having a chance to upgrade Zombo and Jones opposite Bloodline.

The DL lost a good one in Cullen, but hopes big Mike Neal can stay healthy and produce, plus perhaps the addition of sleeper pick Lawrence Guy.... I like that guy's chances.

At DB, it seems Jarrett Bush has learned how to play, and with Collins and Peprah back at safety with Morgan Burnett returning, young Tramon and Shields with Woodson..... everything looks great.

Don't forget, Randall Tex Cobb (should) add a spark to our return unit.

Still, the Eagles improved without a doubt. Anti-free agency skeptics can't deny that adding guys like Aso, DRC, Jenkins, and Babin alone will improve any defense.

Hopefully their offense sputters and their OL sucks. Look for them to try and trade Asante Samuel for some help on offense, probably the OL.

Comment

• I'm pretty happy with our offseason. Jones and Kuhn are the 2 guys I wanted back and luckily we were able to retain them.

Colledge and Jackson would have been OK to keep but we can do better and the contracts they got were more than I would've wanted to spend.

In the end we're going to be in good shape next year come draft time. Hopefully we can get 2 picks for the guys we "lost" in free agency.

On the flip side we need to shore up our LB depth and find our starter at LG as soon as possible. I also think we're absolutely loaded at TE which is going to make things difficult to sort out. They should just move Havner back to LB already because I'd love to keep our 2 rookies.

Comment

• Brandon Underwood has been playing at safety in camp btw. Might have him switching there. With Bush already at safety as well, I doubt Anthony Smith is back. Never know though

Main concerns for this team going into camp are these IMO

1. Who wins the LG spot? Looks like Sherrod/LAng are the main guys battling there. I expect Lang to get the job
          2. ILB depth. Absolutely nothing behind Bishop/Hawk. We'll see what happens. If they add a FA or if Jones can make the move to ILB
          3. OLB opposite Clay. Who will step up here? Zombo, Walden, Elmore
          4. Who replaces Jenkins production? I think Neal is the real deal but the key is for him to be healthy. CJ Wilson is solid and they have Lawrence Guy in the fold as well as Green(vs the run). Not overly concerned about this area unless they get stricken with injuries here

other than that I think everything is shaping up nicely. ST as a unit is a question mark, but they did add some pieces in this years draft to beef that unit up. Cobb or perhaps Shaky Smithson on returns, as well as the 6th/7th round guys they added who were noted for being good ST players in college.

I'm already ready for Sept 8th
          Last edited by BloodBrother; 07-31-2011, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BloodBrother View Post
            Brandon Underwood has been playing at safety in camp btw. Might have him switching there. With Bush already at safety as well, I doubt Anthony Smith is back. Never know though
            I posted it a page or 2 ago but Underwood said that he's been switched to FS.

Originally posted by BloodBrother View Post
            1. Who wins the LG spot? Looks like Sherrod/LAng are the main guys battling there. I expect Lang to get the job.
            I think Sherrod wil end up winning the job. I like Lang but I don't think he has the toughness to play inside. When TT was in Seattle they had Walter Jones start his career at LG for a season before shifting back to LT as well.

2. ILB depth. Absolutely nothing behind Bishop/Hawk. We'll see what happens. If they add a FA or if Jones can make the move to ILB
            3. OLB opposite Clay. Who will step up here? Zombo, Walden, Elmore
            ILB worries me. I don't like Brad Jones inside and a guy like D.J. Smith is just too small.

I'm fine at OLB for now. I think we have enough guys to make it competitive and lots of options to choose from. Zombo has to be the starter though right now.

4. Who replaces Jenkins production? I think Neal is the real deal but the key is for him to be healthy. CJ Wilson is solid and they have Lawrence Guy in the fold as well as Green(vs the run). Not overly concerned about this area unless they get stricken with injuries here
            Neal looks to be the long term answer but I think we'll ease him in this season. Wilson, Green, and Neal make for a ncie rotation plus we'll have Wynn and Guy in the mix. I really like Guy, if he can put it all together I think he'll be a very good player for us.

Comment

• Throwing out a little guess one what our offense could look like when the final roster cuts have been made.

RB:
              Grant
              Starks
              Green

FB:
              Kuhn
              (Johnson could be done in GB, he can't do much besides block and MM covets versatility)

TE:
              Finley
              Quarless
              Crabtree
              Williams
              Taylor
              ( Williams/Taylor could be used in the backfield if either show the ability to block well, also both give us way more versatility than Johnson)

WR:
              Jennings
              Driver
              Nelson
              Jones
              Cobb
              Shaky/Gurley
              ( I have a feeling one of the UDFA WR will make the team, I think Shaky will have the upper hand because of his ST abilities)

Last year we kept 3 rbs, 3 fbs, 4 tes, and 5 wrs... This year we keep 3 rbs, 1 fb, 5 tes, and 6 wrs.

Comment

• I wouldn't be surprised if Quarless doesn't make the team.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if Quarless doesn't make the team.
                  Same here. I'd aslo say Crabtree and Havner on bubble guys as well.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if Quarless doesn't make the team.
                    I was thinkings that I was posting my list... I read he hasn't passed his physical yet??? I don't remember him having any serious injuries?

Comment

• Originally posted by CheeseKnuckles View Post
                      I was thinkings that I was posting my list... I read he hasn't passed his physical yet??? I don't remember him having any serious injuries?
                      Quarless has a hip flexor. Must have happened while working out on his own in the offseason.

Comment

• If Quarless wants to make the team he'll need to have a way better grasp of the playbook this year. He lined up wrong a lot last year. We also have so many receiving options already that if the decision comes down to Crabtree or Quarless, I think Crabtree's value as a blocker will get him a spot.

Sig thanks to mockalicious

Comment

• Originally posted by jackalope View Post
                          If Quarless wants to make the team he'll need to have a way better grasp of the playbook this year. He lined up wrong a lot last year. We also have so many receiving options already that if the decision comes down to Crabtree or Quarless, I think Crabtree's value as a blocker will get him a spot.
                          Very good point. I do remember him lining up incorrectly a few times. It took time for Finley to come into his own, so maybe it will be the same for Quarless. He does seem to have the tools to become a good TE.

Comment

• I love our Offense right now, pretty stoked we didnt let Jones get away. I know he had his laspes but he did make alot of big plays... It should be even better then last year which at times was pretty hard to beat. Sucks that Jenkins got away but Im not worried just yet. He will be hard to replace but its time for one of the young guys to step up. Each year it seems like someone new does. Anyways that money can go towards some of the guys we have coming up.. Sitton, Finely and I know that there are more.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher

Comment

• I wonder if we will have a highly motivated James Jones... If he earns himself a increased role in the offense this year he will be out to prove to teams he was worth the money that they didn't dish out to him. At least thats the way I would feel if I were him.

Comment

• Originally posted by PackerLegend View Post
                                Anyways that money can go towards some of the guys we have coming up.. Sitton, Finely and I know that there are more.
                                The imediate one is Sitton. Finley needs to stay healthy for us first or he could just end up being a more talented David Martin. Nelson is starting to come into his own but alot will depend on how this season plays out.

After those 3 we have a little break until the next group needs to be retained. T.J. Lang is probably the next closest guy but again, alot will depend on this season for him.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information