This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m

Dolphins gave Pro-Bowl CB Brent Grimes a four-year, $32 million deal that includes $16 million guaranteed, per ESPN source.

So long, Shields. Grimes is better but he's also 4 years older. If Pack aren't offering Shields more than $6 million then they have zero chance at bringing him back. He'll get $7 mill from some team for sure

Comment

• Originally posted by BloodBrother View Post
      So long, Shields. Grimes is better but he's also 4 years older. If Pack aren't offering Shields more than $6 million then they have zero chance at bringing him back. He'll get $7 mill from some team for sure
      It'll be interesting to see how much it moves Shields's price tag. Vontae Davis looks like he'll be back with Indianapolis, and that means Shields will be the second or third best corner on the market. I still expect Sam to get similar money to Grimes given the age difference.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

• Davis is probably the best comp for Shields, so we need to see what he gets. I'm not liking how things are shaping up though. Shields gone is just another hole in a D with many holes.

This D needs a makeover. I'll be upset if they go a 3rd straight year with Hawk/Jones as their ILB. Enough already....they aren't good enough for a dominating 3-4 D...even with an improved DL. They need to get better there, period

Comment

• A makeover? It doesn't matter what we do if we lose Shields. We're just compounding our problems. We have two defensive players to build around, Clay and Shields, and we're about to let one go.

It's ridiculously bad management. Not laying big bucks for other team's castoffs is one thing; not paying your own best,young players is insanity. We have so much cap room. It's ludicrous.

Go eat a decaying rat, TT.

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Comment

This D needs a makeover. I'll be upset if they go a 3rd straight year with Hawk/Jones as their ILB. Enough already....they aren't good enough for a dominating 3-4 D...even with an improved DL. They need to get better there, period
            We are losing Shields, Raji, Pickett, and Jolly (possibly). Plus Tramon Williams is entering the final year of his contract and could honestly be a candidate to be cut. This team is the process of making a transition on defense and the only players locked up are Clay Matthews and Morgan Burnett. We are relying on several young, unproven players upfront, pedestrian players at linebacker after Clay and a secondary with young players but nobody you'd label as proven yet (not counting Tramon).

Makeover might not be the right term to describe this situation but I understand what you're getting at. Simply put, we need to add talent to this side of the ball, and not watch our top end players walk in free agency.

Comment

• My problem is not understanding the philosophy. When it's draft and bring in your own guys and build a team that way? Okay, got it. But Shields was our guy. He has earned a contract. Is he going to get overpaid? Possibly but that's the market. Lattes cost almost $5 for 12 oz of milk and 2 T Coffee grinds in Seattle. Overpriced? Hell yes. Do I still buy one every day? Yup. Why? Because the price has nothing to do with my want of a latte and I can still afford it.

Sam Shields is a latte. The Packers would apparently rather drink gas station coffee to avoid the price tag they can afford.

This also means zero chance of signing Byrd. Dude is going to get more than Shields and isn't one of our guys.

Is it possible we told him to go get offers and we'd match or best any? Sure. But at that point we've lost all leverage and insulted him.

Ridiculous mismanagement. It's insanity.

As soon as Grimes deal was made public we should have went over,offered him a mil more over the course of the contract and gone "look, he's a pro bowler and most people had him above you on free agency chart. We want you back and we're willing to pay you above market value if you sign with us now. Wait until after free agency and our offer lowers to match the next best."

Maybe we did that, but if we are really drawing a line at 7 mil a year opposed to 8 mil a year that's crazy.

I'd you asked me of Nelson,Cobb and Shields who I'd most like us to resign.. it'd be shields. Nelson and Cobb are better but Shields is more valuable and important. That doesn't even account for the fact that we can sign all 3 of them to 10 mil a year deals today and still sign our rookies and 3 or 4 minor free agents.
              Last edited by Sportsfan486; 03-03-2014, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• Shields is a homegrown talent. He'd only spent one year playing defense when we signed him as an undrafted free agent. The team taught him to play CB, developed him into a very good CB, and now it looks like he's going to walk.

I always supported the "Draft and Develop" approach, so this is kind of a hard pill to swallow. It doesn't make sense.

Comment

• I was beating the drum on cutting Tramon back when last season started, but he finished the year strong. I would expect him to be back for this upcoming year, regardless of his price tag

Also, let's not act like the Pack aren't trying to bring Shields back. His agent is Rosenhaus, so it's not really surprising that they want to test the market. This isn't over yet and Shields could still be re-signed. Relax a bit, folks

TJ Ward and Jairus Byrd both hit the open market fwiw, which is delicious.

Comment

• with that said, Pack need to adjust a bit on the amount of $$$. With the cap increasing by a good $10 mill this year, FA's are going to be getting a bit more money. It is what it is

they may feel Shields is only worth a little over $5 mill, but they need to understand there's no chance he signs for that. With Tramon on the last year of his deal, they should be more willing to go to $7 mill on Shields

Comment

with that said, Pack need to adjust a bit on the amount of $$$. With the cap increasing by a good $10 mill this year, FA's are going to be getting a bit more money. It is what it is

they may feel Shields is only worth a little over $5 mill, but they need to understand there's no chance he signs for that. With Tramon on the last year of his deal, they should be more willing to go to $7 mill on Shields
                      Exactly.

Shields might not be worth that much but Grimes contract has set the market. Shields is younger, bigger and faster. He deserves an equal contract. He might not be as skilled but he's certainly not far off and he has more upside.

Like it or not, 7 mil a year with half of the contract guaranteed is the market for legit #1, non-elite corners.

Comment

• Interesting

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 10m

Teams have a week to lock up FAs-to-be, and #Texans are working to do so with TE Garrett Graham. #Packers will have interest if he’s free

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 8m

#Packers have been fans of TE Garrett Graham since he came out of Wisconsin. Fits their scheme. But we’ll see if he makes it to the market

Comment

• Graham would be a decent fit. He's pretty good out of the backfield in an H-back role, but he isn't a great inline blocker. Not an explosive athlete, but solid and obviously a good receiver. As a Wisconsin fan I'd love to see him join the Packers, but as a GB fan I don't think he'd be much more than a role player.

Comment

• James Casey signed a 3 year, $12 million deal last off-season so I imagine Graham would be looking for a deal in that range.

Comment

• Here's the story posted on NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...garrett-graham

Seems like the sort of free agent TT would covet. He's bound to come reasonably priced and fits the bill of the "ascending player" Thompson has mentioned time and again.

Comment

• I projected my off-season back in late January or early Feb and had us LOSING Shields because I felt there would be at least ONE team who throws a HUGE $ at him, TT will be unwilling to pay. He's fiscally prudent. Not everyone else is.

But it's not over yet.

I want James Jones back too.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information