This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cvv84 View Post
    Did Ted Thompson step down as GM or something?
    Merriman... Cromartie... Peppers... LT.... Trading top picks for players....
    Every year, fans want this guy or that guy, this guy or the other.
    Who here was salivating for Franky Walker 3 years ago? That's who he got us.
    Who here was salivating for Brandon Chillar 2 years ago? That's who he got us.
    Who here was salivating over Anthony Smith 1 year ago? That's who he brought us.

Now if any parallels come true between TT and Wolf, in this critical 6th year for TT, then TT will bring in a few key FA's. But I still do not expect it at all.

But our pass rush must improve for our team to have a chance at the Super Bowl. I'll be happy with a FA OT/CB and just give me Brandon Graham in the draft. That's a Christmas present right there. Matthews and Graham would race to the QB game after game.

Comment

• Originally posted by cvv84 View Post
      Did Ted Thompson step down as GM or something?

Merriman... Cromartie... Peppers... LT.... Trading top picks for players....
      I'm fairly confident in stating that I doubt any of the 5 happen. Cromartie possibly, but definitely not for a 1st or a 2nd and/or additional player. Maybe there is a new Ted we have yet to see, but it would be a complete 180 degree spin for him to unload cash on guys like Merriman or Peppers.

Comment

• Originally posted by J-Mike88 View Post
        Every year, fans want this guy or that guy, this guy or the other.
        Who here was salivating for Franky Walker 3 years ago? That's who he got us.
        Who here was salivating for Brandon Chillar 2 years ago? That's who he got us.
        Who here was salivating over Anthony Smith 1 year ago? That's who he brought us.

Now if any parallels come true between TT and Wolf, in this critical 6th year for TT, then TT will bring in a few key FA's. But I still do not expect it at all.

But our pass rush must improve for our team to have a chance at the Super Bowl. I'll be happy with a FA OT/CB and just give me Brandon Graham in the draft. That's a Christmas present right there. Matthews and Graham would race to the QB game after game.
        Nothing wrong with playing smart. Its much more likely to find gold through the draft somewhere than over indulging on big time free agents who usually never live up to the hype.

Football truely is the same with baseball, you don't have to spend a lot to get a lot. Look at the Marlins they are in play-off contention every year and even have made it to the World Series and they don't spend anything. Anyone can go out and buy buy buy but that isn't what wins games its the smart decisions you make through the draft and bring in roll players.

Same with college football....Wisconsin, Utah, TCU, Boise St. they don't get the blue chips, they struggle to get any 4 star prospect but they bring in the right players that fit their mold and system. They don't need top notch recruits to compete. Many college programs get all these top flight guys and struggle to win 7 or 8 games.

I personally find smart managing the best way to go. I don't know, I'm a double major in Sports and Recreation Management and Business Administration so having study all areas of business and extensively the management of sports (Sports Law, Facilities,Programming, etc) for almost 4 years now ha I think it is just programmed into my brain. Don't take giant risk unless you know for sure there will be a high reward. For every great Woodson signing there are many more Joe Johnson (Packers), LaVar Arrington(Giants), Jevon Kearse (Eagles), Dion Sanders (Skins), David Boston (Chargers).

Kearse was sure fire, bullet proof signing for the Eagles and they paid him a good chunk a cash. Kearse in his first 5 season he ranked up 47.5 sacks taking into account that he missed almost one whole season with the Titans. So essentially 45.5 sacks in 4 seasons (11 a year). He went on two have to plus seasons to start out with with 7.5 each season then only 7 over the next 2 after that. Wasn't what they hoped for. Not horrible but good or worth the money.

Remember Woodson was our back-up plan, TT had a plan to spend and the guy he was already to pony up around 40+ million for is the classic reason not to throw money around. That guy who luckly turned us down for the Giants would be LeVar Arrington who did absolutely nothing for the G-Man and made them pay for it....it almost was us, thank god Green Bay isn't a sexy place for big name free agents.
        Last edited by RyanBraun8; 02-06-2010, 02:50 AM.

Comment

• For anyone who thinks buying big name free agents is the only way to go to be a great team, here is a great example of how that statement is just not true:

Colts Offense:
          QB Manning D1-98
          RB Addai D1-06/Brown D1-09
          WR: Wayne D1-01/Gonzalez D1-07
          WR:Garcon D6-08/Collie D4-09...Baskett FA-09
          TE: Clark D1-03
          OT: Johnson D6-06/Diem D4-01/ Ugoh D2-07
          OG: DeVan UDFA-09/ Lija W-04/ Pollack D2-08
          C: Saturday FA-99

Defense:
          DE: Freeney D1-02/Mathis D5-03/Brock-FA-02
          DT:Johnson FA-08/Muir W-08/Moala 2-09
          OLB: Wheeler D3-08/ Sessions 4-07/ 2 UDFA Backups from 09
          MLB:Brackett FA-03/ Keiaho-D3-06
          CB:Jackson-D1-05/Hayden-D2-05/Lacey-UDFA-09/Powers-D3-09
          FS:Bethea D6-06/Bullitt UDFA-07
          SS:Sanders D2-04 /Francisco W-09

K: Vinatari FA-06

Sooooooo here we have a team that could have gone undefeated if they wanted to this season and compete for a super bowl evey year and their biggest bang in free agency has been Vinatari and the superstar Hank Baskett (wait i mean the man with with the superstar playmate for a wife) over the last 3 seasons.

Not one of the core players that make the colts the colts were big team FA's but were drafted. Prime example of how to build a team right. Say no to big FA's, save money to spoil you core players, find suitable role players to build around core. TT has built this team right and need to continue to live and die through the draft and keep your core intact. If you sign free agents sign guys who can get the job done at a reasonable price.

Packers are close just need to hit on a few picks this year and keep their core signed.
          Last edited by RyanBraun8; 02-06-2010, 02:52 AM.

Comment

• i completely agree Ryanbraun8.

Comment

• Originally posted by roidrunner View Post
              i completely agree Ryanbraun8.
              He's right, but A) it would mean nothing without one guy, Peyton Manning, B) that's one team out of 32.

Key Saints who weren't drafted by their teams:
              *QB Deew Breesus
              *RB Pierre Thomas
              TE Jeremy Shockey
              *LB Jon Vilma
              LB Scott Fujita
              *S Darren Sharper
              There might be more as I am not sure about their OL and DL guys.

*denotes stud performer.

Speaking of the Saints and what Gregg Williams defense has done the past 2 games to Warner and Farve: Am I the only one who wonders what our defense would have been like had he accepted Ted's offer first and been our DC this year???? I think our defense has more talent than that Saints one.

Comment

He's right, but A) it would mean nothing without one guy, Peyton Manning, B) that's one team out of 32.

*QB Deew Breesus
                *RB Pierre Thomas
                TE Jeremy Shockey
                *LB Jon Vilma
                LB Scott Fujita
                *S Darren Sharper

*denotes stud performer.

Speaking of the Saints and what Gregg Williams defense has done the past 2 games to Warner and Farve: Am I the only one who wonders what our defense would have been like had he accepted Ted's offer first and been our DC this year???? I think our defense has more talent than that Saints one.
                He was an UDFA so you really cant really say that.

Comment

*QB Drew Brees
                  RB Pierre Thomas
                  TE Jeremy Shockey
                  *LB Jon Vilma
                  LB Scott Fujita
                  *S Darren Sharper

*denotes stud performer.

Brees was the only hig caliber signing out of those guys. Sharper wasnt a top notch signing at the time his deal was like 3/13 mil. Fujita is like the Chiller signing. Only 4 years-12 million, Shockey and Vilma were trades for draft picks. Shockey is always hurt and has not been the guy they traded for. Pierre was UDFA as mention before.

So only big signing in Brees, a couple of Prickett, Chillar type ones, few big hits in the draft and 2 trades (Vilma was well worth it, Shockey not so much)

It really has a lot to do with the QB, and luckly we have a premier one in Rodgers. We are only a few small pieces away.

Comment

• Originally posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
                    He was an UDFA so you really cant really say that.
                    I said he wasn't drafted. Just like Atari Bigby and Tyrell Sutton.
                    And James Harrison.
                    It's true. Honestly, teams can build and add good talent through alterior methods other than the draft. Ted's laid a great foundation here.

Comment

• Saints Alive!
                      Them winning has to make the Vikings feel worse, as they really spanked the Saints around, IN New Orleans.

But I feel bad about something.
                      Sean Payton wanted to be our coach in 2006, and we had first crack at him.

Also, last year, we wanted Greg Williams as our DC, and he wanted to get our gig. But his family preferred he stay in the south so he took the Saints job after Sean Payton ponied up more money to match us.

Dammit. Both of those guys could have been ours. Things would have been different because I believe our D-personnel is more talented than the overall Saints personnel. But thanks to Williams scheme, they found ways to hammer Warner, Farve, and Manning whereas we couldn't. I think McCarthy's offensive mind is as good as Sean Payton though.

Anyway, congratulations New Orleans. I'm happy they finally got to feel a Championship! Next year, it's our turn down in Big D, over a revamped Steelers team.

Comment

• Payton coached one hell of a game and the fans of New Orleans are lucky to have him

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

• #12 is the losingest(13) number in Superbowl history. But it's also the winningest(11). Let's hope A-Rodge can add a couple W's in the right columns

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08031/853582-66.stm

This was posted prior to the Giants-Patriots game and is probably completely irrelevant, but it's still interesting.

Comment

Saints Alive!
                            Them winning has to make the Vikings feel worse, as they really spanked the Saints around, IN New Orleans.

But I feel bad about something.
                            Sean Payton wanted to be our coach in 2006, and we had first crack at him.

Also, last year, we wanted Greg Williams as our DC, and he wanted to get our gig. But his family preferred he stay in the south so he took the Saints job after Sean Payton ponied up more money to match us.

Dammit. Both of those guys could have been ours. Things would have been different because I believe our D-personnel is more talented than the overall Saints personnel. But thanks to Williams scheme, they found ways to hammer Warner, Farve, and Manning whereas we couldn't. I think McCarthy's offensive mind is as good as Sean Payton though.

Anyway, congratulations New Orleans. I'm happy they finally got to feel a Championship! Next year, it's our turn down in Big D, over a revamped Steelers team.
                            How do you know this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Whistler6 View Post
                              How do you know this?
                              I remember reading that Greg Williams was our first choice for DC and I think McCarthy offered the position to him but he declined.

Didn't know about this Sean Payton thing though.

stephenson86

Comment

• Originally posted by JF4 View Post
                                I remember reading that Greg Williams was our first choice for DC and I think McCarthy offered the position to him but he declined.

Didn't know about this Sean Payton thing though.
                                I am fairly certain that Payton wanted to be the Packers' coach but never got the offer so he went to the next best thing

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information