Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Payton was the HC I wanted but I have no problem with MM, as for Williams..... Saints got takeways but so did the Packers, maybe not as much but still good for 2nd in NFL i believe. As for a defense, the Saints were not good, The take a ways are the only reason to consider them and okay defense. That Viking game is like every game for them, they get turnovers but that is all they offer. Capers defense overall runs circles around Williams Saint defense and it was much more them them to transition to. Packers got the better man.

Comment

• Originally posted by J-Mike88 View Post
      Saints Alive!
      Them winning has to make the Vikings feel worse, as they really spanked the Saints around, IN New Orleans.

But I feel bad about something.
      Sean Payton wanted to be our coach in 2006, and we had first crack at him.

Also, last year, we wanted Greg Williams as our DC, and he wanted to get our gig. But his family preferred he stay in the south so he took the Saints job after Sean Payton ponied up more money to match us.

Dammit. Both of those guys could have been ours. Things would have been different because I believe our D-personnel is more talented than the overall Saints personnel. But thanks to Williams scheme, they found ways to hammer Warner, Farve, and Manning whereas we couldn't. I think McCarthy's offensive mind is as good as Sean Payton though.

Anyway, congratulations New Orleans. I'm happy they finally got to feel a Championship! Next year, it's our turn down in Big D, over a revamped Steelers team.
      Well besides Payton we could've had Rod Marinelli, Dick Jauron, Gary Kubiak, Brad Childress, Eric Mangini, Art Shell, or Scott Linehan.

Hell why not keep continuing on and look at how we passed on Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, and Deion Sanders for you know who.

Hindsight.... Take it with a gain of salt.

Comment

• Originally posted by JF4 View Post
        I remember reading that Greg Williams was our first choice for DC and I think McCarthy offered the position to him but he declined.

Didn't know about this Sean Payton thing though.
        TT can't be blamed at all for either guy. It is not TTs fault that Williams turned us down last year.
        And McCarthy over Peyton..... except for the Super Bowl, I think our offense is just as good, or real close. Those two are both offensive masterminds it seems like. Very smart.

The difference in our fortunes so far is on the defensive side of the ball. They beat the teams we couldn't beat, because their defense played a lot better. That falls NOT on McCarthy or Payton's shoulders, but on Capers and Williams shoulders, and LIS, Thompson swung after Williams first, and offered more money. You have to give TT some credit for that. Plus Capers turned is into a great run defense right away. Now if he can upgrade the pass rush and pass coverage, we can win Super Bowls. Yes with an S.

Comment

• Just want to throw this out there:

One thing I really notice is trends and people talk about TT and what he will or won't do based on the past. Just like every person smart enough to be a general manager he's not simple and he doesn't have a one track mind. He'll explore all options - draft, free agency, trades and execute when he thinks the benefits outweigh the costs.

Based on past trends, this is what I expect in the offseason:

Free agency! Expect us to be more involved than the last couple years and look closer at the cream of the crop. Playoff team and a franchise quarterback, cap room, and our last dip into free agency was Chillar 2 years ago. Expect us to be involved with some of the bigger names available. If we don't sign someone, then I'd expect contract extentions to get pushed through.

Trade back in the draft. We've always done it except for last year. We added 2 blue chip prospects but now we are back on the other side of the spectrum where we need to restock prospects. We need bodies on the offensive line and secondary badly and will probably look at some low risk/high reward prospects, particularly at OLB and RB in the mid/late rounds.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

• More news/info coming in on Julius Peppers. Besides NFL Network's Michael Lombardi's article about Ted Thompson needing to bring him in, I heard someone on ESPN Local radio down here in Dallas predict Peppers to the Packers. Can't remember if it was Rick Gosselin, or Randy Galloway...... but reading THIS, I don't see an chance he comes to Green Bay.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...r_espn_4899375

-- Julius Peppers no longer wants a long-term contract with Carolina Panthers, saying the Panthers have ignored him this offseason.

In an interview aired Tuesday morning on Charlotte radio station WFNZ-AM, the five-time Pro Bowl defensive end indicated he's irritated by the team's "silence" and has changed his stance on whether he wants to continue his career in Carolina.

"Last year, at the time, that was the option that I wanted most," Peppers said. "Now it's not."

Peppers bounced back with a career-high 14 sacks in 2008, then announced he wanted to play elsewhere and pleaded with the Panthers to let him leave in free agency. He said Tuesday he wanted out because he was upset with the team's direction under then-defensive coordinator Mike Trgovac.

The Panthers could use the franchise tag again in 2010, but it would include a 20 percent raise. Peppers would be due $20.1 million, plus another $1.5 million Pro Bowl bonus and $250,000 for each playoff victory.

Carolina could use the franchise tag again and try to trade Peppers, but Peppers would almost certainly first have to agree to a long-term deal with that team.

Several clubs, such as Philadelphia and New England, could be interested.
            That BOLDED part probably eliminates us from being on his list.
            I would say that would make his affection for Trgovac pretty low. Although he'd work with Greene and Capers with us, not really Trgovac.

Comment

• Its not like it was ever a probability in the first place.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
              they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
              Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

More news/info coming in on Julius Peppers. Besides NFL Network's Michael Lombardi's article about Ted Thompson needing to bring him in, I heard someone on ESPN Local radio down here in Dallas predict Peppers to the Packers. Can't remember if it was Rick Gosselin, or Randy Galloway...... but reading THIS, I don't see an chance he comes to Green Bay.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...r_espn_4899375

That BOLDED part probably eliminates us from being on his list.
                I would say that would make his affection for Trgovac pretty low. Although he'd work with Greene and Capers with us, not really Trgovac.
                Yeah, I'm pretty sure the fact that he would have broke the bank at a position he doesn't play probably eliminated us. I don't know why it took you this long to realize this...

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Originally posted by Boston View Post
                  Yeah, I'm pretty sure the fact that he would have broke the bank at a position he doesn't play probably eliminated us. I don't know why it took you this long to realize this...
                  Back to the Cromartie gibberish...

Comment

• Haha, nic sig ^

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Boston View Post
                      #1- it's the off-season and nothing happens for certain... until it actually happens. all we have for 3 months are ideas and speculation. i know of a website where a year ago most of the dudes tried to dismiss any talk about us converting to a 3-4 defense. they thought that since they convinced each other it was a bad idea, that it actually must be a bad idea and hence would not happen. then reality bit them. and it happened.

#2- michael lombardi's article is what brought this up in the first place. he's on the nfl network and has worked in front offices of actual NFL teams, so he knows more than i do. or even some of you guys.

#3- even though we never got randy moss, the rumors about him early on were true, and it grew..... and there really was a deal to be made and the raiders thought they had one with us.....

#4- stranger things have happened. reggie white was never going to sign in the village of green bay, when he could just pick the 49ers or redskins or even cowboys. lessons learned.... you never say never.

Comment

#1- it's the off-season and nothing happens for certain... until it actually happens. all we have for 3 months are ideas and speculation. i know of a website where a year ago most of the dudes tried to dismiss any talk about us converting to a 3-4 defense. they thought that since they convinced each other it was a bad idea, that it actually must be a bad idea and hence would not happen. then reality bit them. and it happened.

#2- michael lombardi's article is what brought this up in the first place. he's on the nfl network and has worked in front offices of actual NFL teams, so he knows more than i do. or even some of you guys.

#3- even though we never got randy moss, the rumors about him early on were true, and it grew..... and there really was a deal to be made and the raiders thought they had one with us.....

#4- stranger things have happened. reggie white was never going to sign in the village of green bay, when he could just pick the 49ers or redskins or even cowboys. lessons learned.... you never say never.

#1 Agreed, people get bored and throw out ideas, some actually catch, 90% don't. It is the exact same as sitting on here in September talking about the draft. We have no clue where anyone is going to go or draft but we do it anyways because it makes us feel like a GM. ha we are all guilty. We love football

#2 Matt Millen was President, CEO, and GM for the Lions for 8 years..enough said ha not all Front Office people have a clue. Plus no former front office analyst knows anymore than any one of us about what the Packers are going to do because only TT and his staff know and the rest is pure 100% speculation.

#3 Randy Moss plus Brett Favre in 2007 would have = a Super Bowl at the cost of a forth round pick. Instead TT got gun shy didn't pull the trigger, Patriots did and since he has been one of the most dominate WR in the NFL. TT's worst mistake....even worse than Harrell. Very sore subject and angers me as I type. That is the only time during the TT era that I was tempted to become a JSOnline TT hater...(I swear I lose more and more intellegence every time I read most of those idiots comments on the blogs....just ingnorant people)

#4 I was to young to really notice what was all going on when he signed with the Packers (like 6 or 7) but from what I've read it surprised a lot of people. The thing with Reggie is he wasn't a guy who needed to be in the spot light or a big city. He was a good man who didn't mind a place like GB. Guys like Peppers......they don't care about tradition, becoming a Wisconsin GOD (check CC Sabathia), or any of that. They want their money, front page news, everyone to turn on them for every tiny mistake and all that other glorious stuff they get for going to a big market team.

---Side note if the Cowboys do sign Peppers I would be 110% on board to try to trade for Anthony Spencer. The guy is coming into his own and could be that other guy opposite of Clay.
                        Last edited by RyanBraun8; 02-09-2010, 09:54 PM.

Comment

• Also if any of you post on JSOnline.... sorry and no offense, ha I like you guys. I'm talking more about the ones who every post has TT needs to die or just some other amazingly dumb comments. For the Brewers and Packers blog almost every other post is just absolutely horrendious and written by 12 year olds who have no clue about sports. Nothing they say has any substance at all and drives me nuts. ha

Comment

• Reading the Jsonline posts ( and many of the articles for that matter) is a waste of time.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                            they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                            Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

• Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
                              Reading the Jsonline posts ( and many of the articles for that matter) is a waste of time.
                              Yes it is (but I for the most part articles beside I get mad when they put them in them in the PI) But for some reason after every blog I read i check them comments. I think it is curiousity or to see if they are getting smarter (nope they are a lost cause). You can actually make it a game, every day you see how far you can read before you mental can not take anymore.... It is usually after the first one lol

Comment

• whatever picks we would have to trade for peppers id feel alot better if we just packaged that and traded up to secure graham to be honest. peppers is in his prime dont get me wrong. but how much longer does he really have. id rather use the ammo and get someone younger and pay him considerably less money

Originally posted by CraigNall4MVP
                                biigest mistake packers ever make was geting rid of craig nall he beter then bret faver

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information