Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the Ted Thompson lovestravaganza

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Overpaying for Free Agents, so easy a caveman can do it. - PACKmanN

    what do u guys think?

    Comment


    • #47
      I am loving what TT is doing with building the team for year Number two heading into year #3.

      His first year, I thought he sabotaged Sherman by his botching of the OG situation and not re-signing Javon Walker long-term. Terrible handling of the line turned into a terrible season. Javon is more a Jajerque, but he still would have been a great addition to the passing game last year, along with Jennings had we gotten him to go with DD.

      Last year, I was happy with his FA pickups, Pickett and Woodson had solid years. I was for Manuel then, now I still think we have a hole he created when he let Sharper go. Toss in the special teamers at LB and it was a decent FA season last year. His real home-runs were in the draft. The three OL, Jennings, Hodge and of course Hawk.

      Year three I'd like to see him pick up a veteran player like Woodson and front-load the contract and include serious incentive pay, maybe a guy like Grant Wistrom to complete the DE corp, or even add pressure on KGB to get it done or get out. I was really hoping TT would have picked up Randy McMichael, but it wasn't meant to be.The Packers need some talent at the skill positions, so maybe he'll hget the offense working again this year. Depending on Underwood's knee, I'm still looking at upgrading the SS.

      I have a lot of faith that TT will be getting it done, in his way, which I love as a fan. It means no stupid contracts for mediocre players (Bobby Wade to Minnesota), arranging the draft to have more players and relying on your scouts to be able to get NFL players from smaller colleges and having success later in the draft, and resigning guys that you really like that are still huge producers (Kampman and Jenkins) versus giving good money to players who had great careers in the past but don't have much potential to improve (Green).
      The pain fades and the good memories will remain.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by johbur View Post
        I am loving what TT is doing with building the team for year Number two heading into year #3.

        His first year, I thought he sabotaged Sherman by his botching of the OG situation and not re-signing Javon Walker long-term. Terrible handling of the line turned into a terrible season. Javon is more a Jajerque, but he still would have been a great addition to the passing game last year, along with Jennings had we gotten him to go with DD.

        Last year, I was happy with his FA pickups, Pickett and Woodson had solid years. I was for Manuel then, now I still think we have a hole he created when he let Sharper go. Toss in the special teamers at LB and it was a decent FA season last year. His real home-runs were in the draft. The three OL, Jennings, Hodge and of course Hawk.

        Year three I'd like to see him pick up a veteran player like Woodson and front-load the contract and include serious incentive pay, maybe a guy like Grant Wistrom to complete the DE corp, or even add pressure on KGB to get it done or get out. I was really hoping TT would have picked up Randy McMichael, but it wasn't meant to be.The Packers need some talent at the skill positions, so maybe he'll hget the offense working again this year. Depending on Underwood's knee, I'm still looking at upgrading the SS.

        I have a lot of faith that TT will be getting it done, in his way, which I love as a fan. It means no stupid contracts for mediocre players (Bobby Wade to Minnesota), arranging the draft to have more players and relying on your scouts to be able to get NFL players from smaller colleges and having success later in the draft, and resigning guys that you really like that are still huge producers (Kampman and Jenkins) versus giving good money to players who had great careers in the past but don't have much potential to improve (Green).
        It takes time but we are certainly heading in the right direction


        Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

        Comment


        • #49
          Thompson addresses 'owners' at Fan Fest by Korth scout.com

          Packers general manager stresses importance of developing from within.

          Ted Thompson addressed fans at the Green Bay Packers’ annual Fan Fest this afternoon in the Lambeau Field atrium. While Thompson was not available to reporters, he did answer questions from former Packers center Larry McCarran while taping a television show that will air statewide tonight. Thompson has come under heavy criticism thus far in free agency because he has yet to sign any players to fill vacancies left by running back Ahman Green, who signed with Houston, fullback William Henderson (released), or tight end David Martin, who signed with the Miami Dolphins. Thompson said that the Packers are “working on some things” regarding free agency, but did not elaborate. Coach Mike McCarthy, who also was a guest on the TV show, said that it is important for the team’s younger players to “step up.” McCarthy also said that 75 players have committed to participate in the team’s off-season workout program, which begins on March 19. McCarthy said that is the most of any team in the league.

          Here are Thompson’s responses to questions from McCarren:

          On if he is surprised by any of the signings in free agency:

          “We’ve expected to have some fairly dramatic deals because of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement and the salary cap. If a team felt like they had to address a particular need, then we felt like there would be some good deals. “We haven’t done anything. We tried to sign Ahman Green and David Martin both, but we didn’t come to an agreement there. We’re still working on some things. Even though we haven’t done anything, or haven’t signed anybody, it doesn’t mean that we’re sitting on our hands. We’re working on it, trying to find the right fit.”

          On how he plans to replace Ahman Green:

          “First and foremost, we have four young backs on our team that we’re going to try to develop from within. We’ve said it over and over, and Mike and I have talked about this a lot, the best way to become a good, sustaining team, is to develop from within. We’re going to give these guys a shot, and we’re going to bring in some competition for them. You never know what happens in free agency or the draft, but we’re going to count on the guys we have on our team.”

          On if Aaron Rodgers is the team’s quarterback of the future?

          “Yes, absolutely. Aaron’s working very hard. He’s a fine player. He wants to play, and he understands the position that he’s in. He got injured last year in the only opportunity he had to play, but he’s continued to develop. Mike and I are both very high on him, and he’s going to be a good player.”

          On what he can say about trading for Randy Moss:

          “You don’t say anything, that’s the best way to do it.”

          On how he would characterize the NFL draft:

          “We feel very confident that we’ll be able to take a really good player. The key is, ‘Do we know what we’re doing?’ But we know what we’re doing and we’ll get some good players for this team.”

          On his thoughts on California RB Marshawn Lynch, whom many speculate the Packers will select with the 16th overall pick:

          “He looks like a good player. We just got back from the (NFL) Combine, and a lot of players came through. We’re impressed with this group (of running backs). We feel that the first round is deep enough to take a good player at 16.”

          On how far away the Packers are from contending for a Super Bowl title:

          “The NFL is a funny business. You can be on the bottom and rise pretty fast. We feel like we’re getting better. We have improved the core of our team. We have some good guys who have brought us some leadership and know their responsibilities. We did pretty good through the course of the season, and it was a tough season because we had some bad games here at Lambeau Field, certainly. We’re going to try to avoid that. We have a chance, as far as predicting, but, again, the best way for us to be successful is for quality improvement from within.”

          What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
          they get smoked.

          2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
          Hint:Not the Bears.

          Comment


          • #50
            McCarthy also said that 75 players have committed to participate in the team’s off-season workout program, which begins on March 19. McCarthy said that is the most of any team in the league.

            I like that part, looks like when Pickett said "we want to have the best D in the NFL next year" he ment it.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
              McCarthy also said that 75 players have committed to participate in the teamís off-season workout program, which begins on March 19. McCarthy said that is the most of any team in the league.

              I like that part, looks like when Pickett said "we want to have the best D in the NFL next year" he ment it.
              thats what building through the draft and having lots of young, high character guys will do for ya. I love the direction TT is taking this team

              Originally posted by princefielder28
              Sherman's hitting percentage on draft picks is like Ben Sheets at the plate

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by M1Koter View Post
                thats what building through the draft and having lots of young, high character guys will do for ya. I love the direction TT is taking this team
                That's the plan :)


                Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by M1Koter View Post
                  thats what building through the draft and having lots of young, high character guys will do for ya. I love the direction TT is taking this team
                  I get excited about the future of this team too.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
                    McCarthy also said that 75 players have committed to participate in the teamís off-season workout program, which begins on March 19. McCarthy said that is the most of any team in the league.

                    I like that part, looks like when Pickett said "we want to have the best D in the NFL next year" he ment it.
                    great news. sounds like our team is committed to being great.

                    Sig thanks to mockalicious

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by jackalope View Post
                      great news. sounds like our team is committed to being great.
                      It takes that little extra to get to the next level


                      Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                        It takes that little extra to get to the next level
                        well looks like our D will be better. The problem last year was too many plays didnt show up to camp which ruiden the team. Now that Harris got his contact he will be fine, Woodson is not hurt, Manuel not hurt our secondary will be better.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
                          well looks like our D will be better. The problem last year was too many plays didnt show up to camp which ruiden the team. Now that Harris got his contact he will be fine, Woodson is not hurt, Manuel not hurt our secondary will be better.
                          they really seemed to clear everything up by the end of the season, I really excited to see what the D will do this year

                          Originally posted by princefielder28
                          Sherman's hitting percentage on draft picks is like Ben Sheets at the plate

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs...703180855/1989

                            It's not that Thompson won't spend money in the open market, as evidenced by the signings last year of Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett. But the 2007 free-agent field had the look of a rundown used-car lot, and it's obvious Thompson won't overpay for a beater.
                            ^^^^This is exactly what I've been saying all along to the people here who are so impatient!
                            Originally posted by njx9
                            i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Vince Lombardi View Post
                              http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs...703180855/1989



                              ^^^^This is exactly what I've been saying all along to the people here who are so impatient!
                              packman's sig says it all, we've really only missed out on Griffith and I guess oakland was more appealing

                              Originally posted by princefielder28
                              Sherman's hitting percentage on draft picks is like Ben Sheets at the plate

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by M1Koter View Post
                                packman's sig says it all, we've really only missed out on Griffith and I guess oakland was more appealing
                                Griffith and McMichael were the only two I thought were worth what we could have gotten them for.
                                Originally posted by njx9
                                i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information