No announcement yet.

A Big **** You to ESPN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well ESPN is owned by Disney. That could be why everything they broadcast is a joke. Sad thing is they are such a big Corp. that no new network can even compete with ESPN. I'm tired of watching their garbage and their dumba** experts "who really just don't know anything"

Comment

Originally posted by ChezPower4 View Post
      Well ESPN is owned by Disney. That could be why everything they broadcast is a joke. Sad thing is they are such a big Corp. that no new network can even compete with ESPN. I'm tired of watching their garbage and their dumba** experts "who really just don't know anything"
      I remember when I was little i watched CNNSI with people like Kevin Frazier and Tom Rinaldi, but that never lasted probably because of ESPN

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
        does anyone really expect anything good from espn anymore? I still watch to get highlights but the rest of the crap is just ridiculous garbage and has been for a while....
        Pretty much sums up how I feel about ESPN, its terrible point blank, if I don't get my NFLNetwork going this month I feel like I'm going to go crazy.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Yes, Bossier City, Louisiana is now TitleTown, USA. Thanks ESPN!
          Just kidding, but seriously, doing this would be like telling Manny Ramirez his new nickname is "The Splendid Splinter" or moving the Pro Football Hall of Fame to Tulsa; it just doesn't work.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

I never knew that GB was called title town.. In fact I didn't even know that term was used. I heard of Motown, but def. not title town. Why is GB called title town? I know of the many championships that GB has, but other teams in GB have won?

Comment

Originally posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
              I never knew that GB was called title town.. In fact I didn't even know that term was used. I heard of Motown, but def. not title town. Why is GB called title town? I know of the many championships that GB has, but other teams in GB have won?
              courtesy of wikipedia

The Green Bay Packers professional football team of the National Football League has been based in the city since 1919. Green Bay is by far the smallest U.S. market for an NFL team,[5] although the Packers' fanbase stretches across the state of Wisconsin. Green Bay is nicknamed "Titletown" and "Titletown, USA"[5] for the number of NFL titles (12) it has won over the years (including the first two Super Bowls as well as Super Bowl XXXI), more than any other team. The name appears on the city seal, is used by the Green Bay Chamber of Commerce for its web address (titletown.org) and variations of the word appear in the name of more than two dozen local businesses

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                courtesy of wikipedia

The Green Bay Packers professional football team of the National Football League has been based in the city since 1919. Green Bay is by far the smallest U.S. market for an NFL team,[5] although the Packers' fanbase stretches across the state of Wisconsin. Green Bay is nicknamed "Titletown" and "Titletown, USA"[5] for the number of NFL titles (12) it has won over the years (including the first two Super Bowls as well as Super Bowl XXXI), more than any other team. The name appears on the city seal, is used by the Green Bay Chamber of Commerce for its web address (titletown.org) and variations of the word appear in the name of more than two dozen local businesses
                Ok, I guess I was right that it was because of the 12 titles, which is very, very impressive. They also made it official with documents and the city seal. I guess that's a cool thing, but my question is why would they call it title town, when other teams may have more.

I hate baseball, but being from the tri-state area, the Yanks have 26 titles. So why would GB call themselves title town, when another town has more titles?

Just like how the Cowboys call themselves America's team. That bothered me because only the media and themselves call them that. Other fans don't give them that honor. Seems like media hype, and the cowboys bought it, and dubbed it themselves.

So I guess in GB's case, it's good that you guys have 12 titles, but still don't know why someone would call it title town, when another town/city has more than double that. NY has more titles, Boston has a large number of titles. The celtics alone just won their 17th title.

To me I could see how you guys are upset, but from an unbiased point of view, perhaps that label is now outdated in regards to GB. I don't mind them finding a new town/city that has more titles, and keep changing it to fit current titles.

Comment

Ok, I guess I was right that it was because of the 12 titles, which is very, very impressive. They also made it official with documents and the city seal. I guess that's a cool thing, but my question is why would they call it title town, when other teams may have more.

I hate baseball, but being from the tri-state area, the Yanks have 26 titles. So why would GB call themselves title town, when another town has more titles?

Just like how the Cowboys call themselves America's team. That bothered me because only the media and themselves call them that. Other fans don't give them that honor. Seems like media hype, and the cowboys bought it, and dubbed it themselves.

So I guess in GB's case, it's good that you guys have 12 titles, but still don't know why someone would call it title town, when another town/city has more than double that. NY has more titles, Boston has a large number of titles. The celtics alone just won their 17th title.

To me I could see how you guys are upset, but from an unbiased point of view, perhaps that label is now outdated in regards to GB. I don't mind them finding a new town/city that has more titles, and keep changing it to fit current titles.
                  The Packers are the ONLY team in Green Bay and their amount of championships in cimparison to other cities and their amounts of teams/opporunities is very different. You look at New York; they have the Yankees, Mets, Jets, Giants, Knicks, Rangers, and how seasons/decades have these teams had the chance to win championships.

Green Bay has won a championship in 13.8% of the seasons they've played and the city of New York has won a championship in 10% of the seasons they've played.
                  Last edited by princefielder28; 07-02-2008, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                    The Packers are the ONLY team in Green Bay and their amount of championships in cimparison to other cities and their amounts of teams/opporunities is very different. You look at New York; they have the Yankees, Mets, Jets, Giants, Knicks, Rangers, and how seasons/decades have these teams had the chance to win championships.

Green Bay has won a championship in 13.8% of the seasons they've played and the city of New York has won a championship in 10% of the seasons they've played.
                    True, but also there are other teams there as well. That's why when I think of title town, I think of titles from all teams accumulating to the total. So it's basically adding all the titles across all the sports teams, and coming up with a total. I think of it as the same for teams in LA, boston, chicago, and so on.

Comment

So maybe if the Green Bay Blizzard win an AFL2, and UW-Green Bay's basketball team wins the National Championship we can be Titletown again!

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
                        So maybe if the Green Bay Blizzard win an AFL2, and UW-Green Bay's basketball team wins the National Championship we can be Titletown again!
                        Maybe.. All I am saying is I think of a title town as a town or city that has the most titles. So it would have to go to major city, unless in theory GB has the most titles than all other sports in any one city, which could possible, because 12 is alot.

I am guessing the national media sees it the same way judging by how they are looking for another place to call title town.

Comment

Maybe.. All I am saying is I think of a title town as a town or city that has the most titles. So it would have to go to major city, unless in theory GB has the most titles than all other sports in any one city, which could possible, because 12 is alot.

I am guessing the national media sees it the same way judging by how they are looking for another place to call title town.
                          this really doesnt have anything to do with most titles or anything or how you think of "a title town", it is just fact that Green Bay is Titletown USA. I'm not saying that it's super-justified or anything, although our football history is top-notch, it's just a nickname of the city and this contest is just stupid ESPN crap-piece trying to take that away from Green Bay. Are we gonna see contests soon to find the TRUE "City of Brotherly Love" or the TRUE "Windy City" because I'm sure there are some other cities that can make a case for taking that nickname from Philly or Chicago but that isnt about to change anytime soon.

Search "Titletown" on wikipedia and it brings you to the Green Bay, Wisconsin page. Go to titletown.org and it brings you to the Green Bay Chamber of Commerce. The official Green Bay city seal has "Titletown USA" written right on the bottom of it. Open a Green Bay phone book and look under "titletown" and you'll find over 20 businesses called "Titletown something". We even have the trademark to Titletown so even if someone else wins this stupid contest Green Bay still will remain and always be Titletown USA.
                          Last edited by EvilMonkey; 07-02-2008, 02:13 PM.
                          JORDYZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Comment

Originally posted by EvilMonkey View Post
                            this really doesnt have anything to do with most titles or anything or how you think of "a title town", it is just fact that Green Bay is Titletown USA. I'm not saying that it's super-justified or anything, although our football history is top-notch, it's just a nickname of the city and this contest is just stupid ESPN crap-piece trying to take that away from Green Bay. Are we gonna see contests soon to find the TRUE "City of Brotherly Love" or the TRUE "Windy City" because I'm sure there are some other cities that can make a case for taking that nickname from Philly or Chicago but that isnt about to change anytime soon.

Search "Titletown" on wikipedia and it brings you to the Green Bay, Wisconsin page. Go to titletown.org and it brings you to the Green Bay Chamber of Commerce. The official Green Bay city seal has "Titletown USA" written right on the bottom of it. Open a Green Bay phone book and look under "titletown" and you'll find over 20 businesses called "Titletown something". We even have the trademark to Titletown so even if someone else wins this stupid contest Green Bay still will remain and always be Titletown USA.
                            I agree I am sure some of those other nicknames are false.. For instance City of Botherly love is false. There is no love in Philly!

And i am sure the weather channel can try to run a contest for Windy city as well.

But since ESPN is a sports network, I can see why they want to make it most titles. But I agree taking it away from an existing town is shady. However I don't know why GB would call itself titletown when other cities/towns have more titles. That to me was a mistake to begin with. I can see both sides to the debate. In one view it's too hard to take away that title especially since it's so rooted in the towns history and atmosphere and culture. And in another light, the term is almost outdated, because other places have more titles, making that name for GB antiquated.

Definetly a tough situation.

Comment

Green Bay, Wisconsin
                              From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Titletown)

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

if espn is just a pile of **** why do you care anyway and besides the packers what other teams are in green bay, none. that is the reason the big cities like new york and boston are considered cause they have many teams. Look Packer fans I know you are upset, but you get all the attension anyway from Brett Favre. You could watch a game that the packers are not playing in and John Madden will kiss Brett Favre ***. You will see that this season too because the media loves Brett Favre. They should call the NFL the national favre league, beacuse that all it is. I would not be surprised if espn made up a city and called it Favre Land. Yes Green Bay should at least be in the top 20, but you cares.

Sig by BoneKrusher
                                Matt Barkley will be the best QB to be selected in the Top 5 since Peyton Manning.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information