No announcement yet.

Ted Thompson's Draft History

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the end of the day, TT is one of the better GMs in this league and his philosophy of building througth the draft is the right one.

Sig by Eaglez.Fan

Comment

Originally posted by Burger View Post
      He's a probowler, so I am not complaining.
      Corey Hart was an All-Star with the Brewers last year too. Those two are very comparable. They've showed some potential that people believe they have, but may not necessarily be worthy of the accolades. Collins improved alot last season but he's not an All-Pro caliber player and he needs to show that last season wasn't a fluke.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
        Corey Hart was an All-Star with the Brewers last year too. Those two are very comparable. They've showed some potential that people believe they have, but may not necessarily be worthy of the accolades. Collins improved alot last season but he's not an All-Pro caliber player and he needs to show that last season wasn't a fluke.
        If last season wasnt a fluke, then would you say it was a good draft?

Comment

If last season wasnt a fluke, then would you say it was a good draft?
          I would say it was a good draft, yes. If you can get 2 Pro Bowl caliber players in one draft then yes, but I am still skeptical of Collins being as productive moving forward.

Comment

I would say it was a good draft, yes. If you can get 2 Pro Bowl caliber players in one draft then yes, but I am still skeptical of Collins being as productive moving forward.
            I am sure the 3-4 D can help his production.

Comment

I'd even throw Rodgers into that category too. Yeah he also had a great season but lets repeat it and start come up late in the 4th quarter.

I am sure the 3-4 D can help his production.
              Its the 1st year running an entirely new defense. There will be bumps and growing pains along the way. We have no 3-4 proven player in the front 7 and our CBs will be playing alot more zone coverage than the man to man that we're used to.
              Last edited by cvv84; 06-16-2009, 06:25 PM.

Comment

I grade Thompson an A.

He's done a good job bringing in hungry players that make contributions to the team.

He showed confidence in the Favre situation. A lot of GMs wouldn't have.

He finds talent all the way through the draft and has built a team where most of our 'bubble' players would be scooped up by other teams or even starters.

But the real reason I give Thompson an A is because usually when I call for a players head, or call for him to draft someone, he does exactly what I was thinking. Good or bad thats happened repeatedly and so I really like him as a GM.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

What would you guys Rate Thompson right now?
                  I love a lot of what TT has done, but he's also mis-fired. He cost Sherman (for better or worse) by not securing guards his first season as GM while cutting loose Wahle and Rivera. The Packers couldn't convert short yardage and they got punked by interior rushers. TT also cut loose Sharper and his replacements have been Manuel, Roman and Bigby, with only one good year from Bigby two years ago. He cut loose Longwell and Sanders and though we have Crosby now, we still don't have a punter. I didn't like his statements towards Favre, but he got a third round pick for an aging super star that had to leave for GB to see how good Rodgers is.

He had to overhaul an aging roster and he did so with a horde of draftees and fiscally responsible free agents. Woodson, Pickett and Chillar have been great choices. Ryan Grant had a bad year and still got 1200 yards, so that was a nice choice. His draft choices have been solid for the most part, with a good portion of them sticking on the roster. I still think parting with a second and thrid round choice and having Randy Moss and Tony Gonzalez on the team would have been better choices. Hate the Harrell pick as well, especially since that could have been Greg Olsen. Same thing with passing on Dustin Keller last year. Hawk, Collins, Jennings, the O-line and Raji have tilted the balance towards.

I'd grade TT with how the teams record has been, which is 31-33. McCarthy was a solid hire and he's 27-21. Overall that makes TT a little below average with Sherman included, and above average when you consider he inherited Sherman's crappy roster and contracts.

Overall, a C+, with room for growth.
                  The pain fades and the good memories will remain.

Comment

Is 2009 Ted Thompson's best draft class yet?

Raji - Looks like a stud who can play anywhere on the defensive line.

Matthews - Better than I expected. Can't wait to see him with a full season under his belt.

Lang - Versitile guy who got beat up but looks like a potential starter in the near future.

Johnson - Didn't start out well but has really started to put it together late in the season.

Meredith - I wish we could've kept him but he really hasn't done much with the Bills. Got a few starts but never locked down a job.

Wynn - A bit undersized but could be a descent sub player if he can add some weight.

Underwood - Never really flashed like I hoped he would. I still think his future could be at safety.

Jones - Filled in great for Kampman but I don't know if he's an every down player because of his size. Could be a situational pass rusher at worst. Still have high hopes for him though.

Out of this draft we got a Pro Bowl canidate in Matthews at its looking like we hit on Raji too. I think that alone makes this a great draft class. When you look back though you'll see that TT has manged to get 2 studs from almost every draft class and or at least 2 quality players/starters.

Comment

I would still consider 2006 a better draft

Comment

He has hit the bullseye a few times and missed terribly on others. But I would put this year as his best, because he didn't wait around for talent to drop. He made the move to trade up and snag Clay Mathews before anyone else had the chance. TT saw something in Mathews that said, "I need this guy", and I have to give credit where credit is due.

Without Mathews, Green Bay's defense would be nowhere near where it is right now. He gives them size, speed, and an attitude that guys like Hawk just don't bring. Add in BJ Raji who has flashed brilliance and an excellent late round pick in Brad Jones who has done an admirable job being forced in midseason.

Yes Rodgers carries more weight and the Collins pick was excellent, but I don't remember a rookie class having more of an impact than the 2009 class has.
                        Last edited by Whistler6; 01-04-2010, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Whistler6 View Post
                          He has hit the bullseye a few times and missed terribly on others.
                          Its the NFL draft. That's how it works. :)

Comment

Thompson in the draft is about a B in terms of his 5 years here.
                            His free agency record is about a B-.

He's given us a great one in Woodson (even though it was lucky he didn't have to compete with any other team for the cornerback- Tampa wanted him but as a safety), and one solid one in Pickett.

Chillar is okay but not as good as the money they just gave him. If he is as good as that contract, than Hawk should be traded while he can fetch something.

Other than those 2-3 guys, in now 6 years of free agency, he's not been active.

Tramon and Atari were good ones, but not your UFA types, still, he gets credit for that.

But comparing him to Ron Wolf's free agent additions, it pales in comparison.

On the other hand, Teddy Ballgame made some good trades for Ryan Grant, pawning off the longsnapper for a pick, and getting a 2 for Corey Williams.

His effing up the Randy Moss on a silver platter cost the Packers, probably, a Super Bowl appearance at least, and led to..... the disaster with Farve, which was mostly Farve's fault but TT has some culpability there.

TT chould have held the Vikings ransom and made the super ballzy deal for their #1 picks for 2008 & 2009. Imagine that. But that would have pizzed everyone in packer country off and even though he says he doesn't really care what the fan's reactions are (he says his focus is on the team period, not the public's perception), even he wasn't going to go there. He tried so hard to keep #4 out of Minny.

So all in all, with 1 playoff game win in a half-decade, I'd say a B- is fair.
                            The future looks bright, but you can't grade that yet.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mike88 View Post
                              His effing up the Randy Moss on a silver platter cost the Packers
                              Effing it up? How could he help Moss preferring to go to NE?

Sure he could have given up a higher pick, but its not like teams were lining up to trade for Moss. You gotta give TT credit for recognizing Moss was still a player, not many other teams recognized that at the time. Moss was widely though of as washed up by many at that point.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                              they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                              Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
                                Effing it up? How could he help Moss preferring to go to NE?

Sure he could have given up a higher pick, but its not like teams were lining up to trade for Moss. You gotta give TT credit for recognizing Moss was still a player, not many other teams recognized that at the time. Moss was widely though of as washed up by many at that point.
                                Not too mention how would Moss's presence slow the development of Jennings? Yeah Moss is a helluva player but its when he wants to be. He was getting criticized for dogging it at the end of last season. That doesn't fly in a blue collar town like Green Bay.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information