X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packers-Bills, Preseason Week 2

When: Saturday 8/20

Time: 7pm on CBS

Starters are expected to play roughly 2 series.

Terrell Owens is out.

5 things to watch in Saturday night's game

♦ 1. First-round draft pick B.J. Raji will debut with the Packers Saturday night as a defensive end in the 3-4 and inside rusher on passing downs. He won’t play much because he only began practicing this week and the Packers want to break him in gradually, but he should get at least a handful of snaps.

♦ 2. This week coach Mike McCarthy opened up the job for starting right tackle, so look for both Allen Barbre and Breno Giacomini to get snaps with the starters. McCarthy wants to set his starting line ASAP, so whoever plays better Saturday night might get the majority of work with the No. 1 line next week.

♦ 3. The Packers’ punting job remains wide open between Jeremy Kapinos and Durant Brooks. So far, though, all the competition has been on the practice field. Brooks had the early lead but Kapinos has outpunted him for past week or so. Last week against Cleveland, Brooks had the only punt, a 39-yarder. Game performance is the most important measure, so both players have a lot on the line Saturday night, assuming they get some chances.

♦ 4. No. 3 quarterback Brian Brohm has been better in camp this year than as a rookie and has the occasional sharp play when he’s on the move and throws a strike. But he’s developing far more slowly than backup Matt Flynn. Brohm still holds the ball a little long at times and occasionally misfires on relatively routine throws. He also had a bad game last week against Cleveland (0.0 passer rating, 3-for-10, 18 yards, two interceptions) and needs to show some improvement or who knows what might happen on cutdown day?

♦ 5. With the top two right outside linebackers (Clay Matthews and Jeremy Thompson) out because of injuries, Saturday night provides a big chance for Brady Poppinga

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...PKR01/90821131
    Can't wait to see Raji out there! If Bishop can also repeat his monster 1st preseason game I think the coaches will need to find a way to get him on the field. Maybe consider moving Hawk to ROLB LB again. I just hope that either Thompson or Matthews can return next week or this could be like last season where teams just focused on stopping Kampman. This should also be a better indication on how our 3-4 defense will fare over the season.

Comment

Watch out for 'The Sex". That is all.
      When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

Originally posted by cvv84 View Post
        Maybe consider moving Hawk to ROLB LB again.
        I wouldn't want to do that. We drafted Matthews for that. At this point I think it's fair to say that Matthews has more potential to be good there than Hawk. We're also not exactly sure how good Barnett will be inside. Bishop has been performing well, but I wouldn't make any moves because of it. It'll work itself out eventually. If we get a couple weeks into the season and either Hawk or Barnett are struggling then Bishop can get his shot. It's a good problem to have especially with switching defenses.

Comment

Originally posted by GB12 View Post
          I wouldn't want to do that. We drafted Matthews for that. At this point I think it's fair to say that Matthews has more potential to be good there than Hawk. We're also not exactly sure how good Barnett will be inside. Bishop has been performing well, but I wouldn't make any moves because of it. It'll work itself out eventually. If we get a couple weeks into the season and either Hawk or Barnett are struggling then Bishop can get his shot. It's a good problem to have especially with switching defenses.
          Yes but with both Matthews and Thompson hurting, moving Hawk would at least allow us to put our 4 best LBs on the field until either of those guys gets healthy. Thats all I'm saying.
          Last edited by cvv84; 08-22-2009, 02:02 PM.

Comment

I'm going to the game tonight...go there to see the first teamers, some of the seconds, and then head home and catch the second half at home.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
              I'm going to the game tonight...go there to see the first teamers, some of the seconds, and then head home and catch the second half at home.
              i was thinking of going there, but my friends backed out.

Comment

The following Packers players will not play in tonight's game:

8 P Durant Brooks
                22 CB Pat Lee
                26 S Charlie Peprah
                37 S Aaron Rouse
                52 LB Clay Matthews
                56 LB Nick Barnett
                91 DE Justin Harrell
                99 LB Jeremy Thompson

Starting Lineup Changes:
                On offense, Jason Spitz (#72) will start at C for Scott Wells (63), Josh Sitton (71) will start at RG for Spitz (72), and Korey Hall (35) will start at FB for John Kuhn (30).

The following Bills players will not play in tonight's game:

29 CB Drayton Florence
                48 TE Travis McCall
                58 DE Aaron Maybin
                59 LB Pat Thomas
                64 LB Ashlee Palmer
                81 WR Terrell Owens

Starting Lineup Changes:
                On offense, Roscoe Parrish (#11) will start at WR for Terrell Owens (81).

Roster Changes:
                On Friday, the team released CB Antwain Spann (#36).

Comment

Crosby kicks it 2 yards deep in the endzone.

Alot of Packers near the return man. Went down pretty soon.

1) Bills begin in the shotgun. Completes to Lee Evans. Trammon Williams on the stop.

2) Shotgun again. Its a run with Lynch. 2 yard gain. Hawk comes up and makes the stop.

3) 2 TE set. Lynch runs up the middle for a 1st down. Blew right through the line there.

4) Shotgun again. Woodson with a corner blitz but Jenkins stops Lynch on a run to the weak side.

5) 2nd and 11. Shotgun. Ball deflected and its Poppinga with the INT! The Packers 5 INT of the preseason. Packers take over the Bills 37. Nick Collins hit the WR which caused the deflection.

Comment

Packers 1st drive:

1) Grant with a 5 yard run behind Clifton and Colledge.

2) Rodgers dumps the ball off to Grant for a 8 yard gain. 1st down. Nice movement in the pocket with pressure coming.

3) 2 TEs. Grant runs to the right and goes nowhere. Donald Lee couldn't hold up with his block.

4) 3 WRs, 2 TEs. Pass completed to Finley for 16 yards. He gets down to the 7 yard line. But its called back with a hands to the face penalty on Spitz. Looked iffy.

5) 2nd and 20. Shotgun. Grant picks up the blitz. Rodgers completes it to Lee for a 7 yard gain.

6) 3 WRs. Its a draw to Grant. Gain of 11 yards. 4th and 1 coming.

7) Packers going for it. 2 TEs. Run with Grant to the weak side and he's stuffed. Bills ball.

Comment

Our new defense is sexy

Comment

So is Greg Jennings.

Comment

1) False start of the Bills. 1st and 15.

2) SACKED! Johnny Jolly collapses the pocket. Packers in their nickel defense there so Jolly was at DT.

3) 2nd and 18. Run to Lynch. Poppinga and Woodson stuff him for a 2 yard gain.

4) 3rd and 16. SACKED! Brandon Chillar flushes Edwards out of the pocket. Bot he and Jolly get him again. Ball was stripped. Hawk Recovers. Packers take over on the Bills 5 yard line.

TD Greg Jennings!!!! 7-0 Packers

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Regular View Post
                            Our new defense is sexy
                            The questions of 'do we have the right personel' are being answered each week. I'm loving it :)

Comment

Johny Jolly has really looked good this preseason.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information