Clear All

• GB12
    started a topic 2010 Packers In-Draft Discussion

2010 Packers In-Draft Discussion

6:30 start time in Wisconsin.

• TitleTown088
    replied
    Originally posted by J-Mike88 View Post
    I'm not as down on the Bulaga pick as before, but I still wanted Jerry Hughes and would have sacrificed our #1 next year and more, plus a player or two, to have traded up to get Hughes. I wish we knew if TT made any attempt to trade up for him.
    I think you're missing what this draft said about Ted and Capers insight into this defense. While it may be a simple case of an OLB not being top of their board I think they're content with Brad Jones, and you can't blame them. He's cheap and performed fairly well last season as a rookie. I think the drafting ( of pass rushers) along the Dline is showing that capers sees an improved pass rush coming from lineman, not just OLB like so many fans and writers expect.

Leave a comment:

• johbur
    replied
    Maybe instead of scattering picks in the later rounds when he could have picked up, say a real punter, TT shoulda used his picks on OL in earlier rounds, maybe NOT trading down 10 times to accrue all those 4-7 picks that used to be 1-3 rounders. He also had free agency and trades available for solving the OL. As it is, he's still patching the OL together with Wolf and Sherman's OL picks. Starting with letting Wahl and Rivera walk and trying to replace them with two guys that were making less than 1 million combined, I just haven't seen TT serious about the OL until this year.

I love the Bulage pick, and the more I read about Newhouse and watch tape on him, the more I think Barbre and/or Giacomini are going to be on a different club after this camp. It'd be odd to have two rookie starters on the OL again, but I think it is a definite possibility now.

Leave a comment:

• J-Mike88
    replied
    You gotta remember, next year's 1st for us is going to be one pick away from a 2nd round pick.

If Jerry Hughes is as good as I think he's gonna be, then it would have been a steal, however we got him, just like Matthews. If the player is that good, the pricetag is going to seem fair.

Anyway, time to get your #75 MOLL jersey changed to BULAGA.
    I like Bulaga more and more....... and I don't mind the Colts so I can still root for Hughes most of the time.

Leave a comment:

• RyanBraun8
    replied
    I'm not as down on the Bulaga pick as before, but I still wanted Jerry Hughes and would have sacrificed our #1 next year and more, plus a player or two, to have traded up to get Hughes. I wish we knew if TT made any attempt to trade up for him.
    If they were interested in him and thought he was good enough to trade a future first round pick for amongst other players/picks you'd think they would have picked him at 23. Not to mention being picked at 31 doesn't make him a solid 1st round player or worth a future 1st rounder. It would have been a pure wast of a future pick. I could understand maybe making a trade like they did for Clay last season but nothing close to what you suggested.

Leave a comment:

• cuzifelt1ikeit
    replied
    Originally posted by jackalope View Post
    That would have been a terrible move if you ask me.
    agreed. id be pretty bummed with that outcome. depending on the players being sent. next years first is a lot to give up.

Leave a comment:

• J-Mike88
    replied
    Originally posted by jackalope View Post
    They say this was a very good draft and if Hughes was good enough to be a 1st rounder this draft, he surely was next draft. But getting him an extra year (with, essentially next year's pick) is more than worth it if he's as good as I think he is.
    Time will tell, although he now is on a team with a 4-3 unlike ours, so it's apples to oranges now.

Leave a comment:

• jackalope
    replied
    I don't think youc an call Meredith a bust already. He didn't ever get a chance. You have to remember that a lot of now-good NFL O-Linemen did nothing their first year also. Meredith did more than many of them, just not for us because Ted tried (unsuccessfully) to hide him on the practice squad. You can't do that with a 6th round pick that had been projected much higher.

Also, if you can officially label Spitz as a winner, then we might have some problems there. He's been average to slightlly above average when he has played. Injuries are no fault of the GM, but they do matter and IMO must be considered into the grade of the player and his performance.

The pick of Spitz has been okay, but the good side to that is that hopefully people start to realize that Scott Wells is actually good. Everyone seems to always want to push Wells out the door because Bedard says that Spitz is bigger and better. We've not seen the evidence. Wells' body of work has been solid.

Leave a comment:

• J-Mike88
    replied
    Originally posted by umphrey View Post
    -Coston, Giacomini, Barbre, Meredith were boom/bust picks that all busted. This is the low point, because he swung for the fences 4 times and didn't manage a single.

So my point is Lang, Sitton and Spitz were winners, Coston, Giacomini, Barbre, Meredith were lottery tickets that lost....
    I don't think youc an call Meredith a bust already. He didn't ever get a chance. You have to remember that a lot of now-good NFL O-Linemen did nothing their first year also. Meredith did more than many of them, just not for us because Ted tried (unsuccessfully) to hide him on the practice squad. You can't do that with a 6th round pick that had been projected much higher.

Also, if you can officially label Spitz as a winner, then we might have some problems there. He's been average to slightlly above average when he has played. Injuries are no fault of the GM, but they do matter and IMO must be considered into the grade of the player and his performance.

The pick of Spitz has been okay, but the good side to that is that hopefully people start to realize that Scott Wells is actually good. Everyone seems to always want to push Wells out the door because Bedard says that Spitz is bigger and better. We've not seen the evidence. Wells' body of work has been solid.

Leave a comment:

• umphrey
    replied
    Originally posted by johbur View Post
    Yeah, those Tedford guys never do well, especially when they're on the short side...

Anyways, though initially underwhelmed by this draft class as I still feel CB is a serious issue, I think there might be a handful of players that stick on the team, and really, whether a player is taken in R1 or UDFA, if they're still on the team after four years, that was a good selection. I am worried about the injuries some of the prospects have, but the OL and DL received help and now TT has turned his eye to the UDFAs, and he's been solid finding guys there. One thing about it now is that if these draft picks do stick, then the players TT acquired prior were the busts. Like on the OL, if Newhouse bumps someone, and it's not Dietrich-Smith, that means yet another TT OL prospect has failed. I don't know whether it's hard to judge OL, or whether the Packers scouting staff recently hasn't done such a good job of doing so, but there have been 10 picks on the OL by TT, and he has two starters in Sitton and Colledge, with Spitz a possible starter again if he comes back strong from injury an maybe Lang in there mixing it up. Coston, Whitticker (who did start, though obviously out of desperation rather than talent), Moll (also had double digit starts but again out of injury needs versus talent), Meredith didn't make the club and Barbre and Giacomini haven't shown anything more than off-field promise. With Bulaga a lock and Newhouse likely making the team, who gets cut this year?
    Well I agree that up until now (before the draft) his only success has been Sitton, Lang, possibly Spitz, and he's done a poor job drafting OL. But some of those guys you have to put in perspective at when they were taken.
    -Whittacker we just needed someone, anyone able to start at guard
    -Coston, Giacomini, Barbre, Meredith were boom/bust picks that all busted. This is the low point, because he swung for the fences 4 times and didn't manage a single.
    -Colledge was another failure, a guard they thought could play tackle, but he isn't even a good guard.
    -Moll they just wanted a utility backup and IMO according to their assessment of him he could give them some security until they were able to establish proper backups.

So my point is Lang, Sitton and Spitz were winners, Coston, Giacomini, Barbre, Meredith were lottery tickets that lost, Colledge hurt the most because the second round should produce starters, and give him a pass on Moll and Whittacker because he was just using late round picks to fill space until they found someone better.

That's a fairly average track record I'd say. He gets and deserves blame for the abysmal line he put out there at the start of 09 though, which is why people scrutinize his draft record so much. However, if all goes as planned and Bulaga, Lang, Sitton, Spitz are all decent, then we'll have to pat him on the back. We'll have to wait and see on that. Personally I'm glad he retained 2 veteran tackles, a decent center and IMO a sub-par LG in addition to those 4 guys that look good for the future, so even if the plan fails we have time to adjust.

Leave a comment:

• tjsunstein
    replied
    NFLDraftScout.com has received Georgia Tech's official pro day results, which weren't posted by NFL.com, and Burnett turned a 3.92-second shuttle run, which was the fastest among all prospects recorded at pro days across the country. Burnett also posted a 4.44-second 40-yard dash that was discounted because he rolled at the start.

Leave a comment:

• GB12
    replied
    You can't hit on every prospect. I think the problem with most Ted Thompson critics is that they expect perfection or at least close to it.

Hitting on 3 out of 8 lineman (not going to count '09 or '10 yet) is pretty damn good. Especially when you look at the rounds he took them in. Out of the 5 that didn't turn out not a single one of them was taken before the 4th round. You can't expect starters out of rounds 4-7. Obviously they can be found there, but you can't fault him that. And besides there have been 46 starts made between those 5 that didn't pan out. Sure they might have been pushed into starting, but it's not like they were completely worthless

Leave a comment:

• johbur
    replied
    Yeah, those Tedford guys never do well, especially when they're on the short side...

Anyways, though initially underwhelmed by this draft class as I still feel CB is a serious issue, I think there might be a handful of players that stick on the team, and really, whether a player is taken in R1 or UDFA, if they're still on the team after four years, that was a good selection. I am worried about the injuries some of the prospects have, but the OL and DL received help and now TT has turned his eye to the UDFAs, and he's been solid finding guys there. One thing about it now is that if these draft picks do stick, then the players TT acquired prior were the busts. Like on the OL, if Newhouse bumps someone, and it's not Dietrich-Smith, that means yet another TT OL prospect has failed. I don't know whether it's hard to judge OL, or whether the Packers scouting staff recently hasn't done such a good job of doing so, but there have been 10 picks on the OL by TT, and he has two starters in Sitton and Colledge, with Spitz a possible starter again if he comes back strong from injury an maybe Lang in there mixing it up. Coston, Whitticker (who did start, though obviously out of desperation rather than talent), Moll (also had double digit starts but again out of injury needs versus talent), Meredith didn't make the club and Barbre and Giacomini haven't shown anything more than off-field promise. With Bulaga a lock and Newhouse likely making the team, who gets cut this year?

Leave a comment:

• Boston
    replied
    Originally posted by contento View Post
    Don't forget I'm also discounting Bulaga because he's from Iowa, a product of Ferentz the "OL Guru" who has yet to develop an above-average NFL offensive lineman.
    Aaron Rodgers is from Cal...what's your point?

Leave a comment:

• contento
    replied
    Don't forget I'm also discounting Bulaga because he's from Iowa, a product of Ferentz the "OL Guru" who has yet to develop an above-average NFL offensive lineman.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information