No announcement yet.

Packers-Browns, Preseason Week 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first series was bad, but overall I liked what I saw from the younger DBs.

Comment

the ST play was awful all game. Looks like much of the same with that group. Kickoff coverage was weak...apparently they can't find a returner who can cleanly catch the ball, and sprinkle in a penalty by the group and you have the trifecta.

also didn't see much pass rush

Comment

Originally posted by PackerLegend View Post
        Larry McCarren's pinky finger on his left hand is scary. Does anyone know why he never got that fixed so it wasnt sideways lol.
        It helps him stand out from other sports personalities in the Green Bay area

Originally posted by BloodBrother View Post
        also didn't see much pass rush
        that's because they really never blitzed unless it came from the inside

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Justin Harrell made it through the game and didnt get injured. Atleast that we know of...

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by PackerLegend View Post
            Justin Harrell made it through the game and didnt get injured. Atleast that we know of...
            thats an accomplishment for harrell if he can play in 10 games this year it will justify his spot on the roster(and to think we could have leon hall) . . .

i did not get to see the game. how did shields do, lee?

On Andrew Luck
            Originally posted by killxswitch
            People are expecting him to be some sort of alien defense-destroying robot QB and it's just not realistic.

Comment

Our secondary didn't do much of anything to give me confidence. Morgan Burnett was kind of a stand out to me, though I think some will disagree. Early in the game he shot the gap on a run play and everyone was blocked but him and he made a good 1 on 1 stop for a 2 yard gain. They were throwing at the Collins/Williams (offense left) side early. In coverage Underwood and Lee didn't show anything besides some speed and tackling. They were clearly watching the receiver the entire time and weren't watching the QB or the ball. Also they were late on breaks. They stuck to their man pretty well I guess but once the ball was in the air they had no clue what to do and they were late diagnosing the route. I saw a lot of hitches and outs where they left a huge window (time and space) of open receiver to throw to.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

+ J Harrell looked like a beast against the twos and threes
                + Rodgers, Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson all showed up looking extremely sharp in midseason form
                + Finley was a man among boys
                + Rodgers had time to throw
                + Rodgers dropped and made a throw consistently, meaning he got rid of the ball quick on schedule
                + Quinn Johnson was a very good lead blocker. He is on his way to winning himself a roster spot for that.
                + I liked what I saw out of Morgan Burnett
                + Bulaga looked solid but unspectacular at LT, LG
                + Noticeably less penalties particularly on ST and offensive holding. Might have been the refs being easy on a preseason game.

- The secondary played poor. Tramon Williams and Nick Collins looked rusty. Underwood showed some speed and tackling ability but Underwood and Lee both looked like they were young rookies trying to learn.
                - Raji looked slower than last year
                - Pickett looked out of place a bit and his side didn't press the pocket or rush the passer at all from what I saw
                - Sam Shields might have taken his name out of the PR/KR race by dropping balls and bad returns. I think the punt fumble would have been fair catch interference most days though.
                - Brandon Jackson might be returning kicks and he is not very good at it

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by umphrey View Post
                  + J Harrell looked like a beast against the twos and threes
                  Not sure I'd go quite that far. I liked what I saw, but he didn't do anything beastly.
                  + Quinn Johnson was a very good lead blocker. He is on his way to winning himself a roster spot for that.
                  Kuhn is still the best FB we have and I'd put Hall next. I want Johnson cut.

+ Bulaga looked solid but unspectacular at LT, LG
                  I thought Bulaga was very impressive. He needs to be starting, whether it's at RT or LG. I think he'd be an upgrade at either spot. He looked much better than Colledge last night.

- The secondary played poor. Tramon Williams and Nick Collins looked rusty. Underwood showed some speed and tackling ability but Underwood and Lee both looked like they were young rookies trying to learn.
                  Williams let up a couple catches to some not very good receivers, not the best night for him. Collins looked good though. He had solid coverage and made a few nice plays. Not sure what you saw that you think he was rusty. I was encouraged by what I saw out of Underwood, Lee, and the rest of the younger guys.
                  - Raji looked slower than last year
                  - Pickett looked out of place a bit and his side didn't press the pocket or rush the passer at all from what I saw
                  Not saying you're wrong with these, but we I think we need to see them more for those judgments. We were in nickel for like half the time our starters were out there.
                  - Sam Shields might have taken his name out of the PR/KR race by dropping balls and bad returns. I think the punt fumble would have been fair catch interference most days though.
                  Yeah, I've seen enough of him on returns. Dropped kicks can not happen. He hasn't don't much with the ones he has returned either.
                  - Brandon Jackson might be returning kicks and he is not very good at it
                  Seems like we were just trying out new guys back deep. If Will Blackmon is healthy I'm sure he'll be the guy, and we'll be just fine. If he's not we could go with William if Al's back, or let Jordy take them again. I don't think Jackson will be the one, at least I hope he won't.

Comment

Im starting to realize something, people say that our linebacking core is good and deep but i think they are not mean and physical enough. I love Barnett, Hawk, Chillar, Bishop, Jones, Poppinga, Matthews and Jones but there's no thumpers in that group. People get to run way too easily through these guys. They can move, they can make plays but none of them are really imposing out there. Hawk was supposed to be that guy but it never happened.

I know yesterday wasnt a good indication of what the season might look like since they didnt blitz at all but if you cant execute playing base, something is wrong. Then again, this defense is based mainly on blitzes so we cant really tell. I this year they addressed the Dline in the draft, i think next year should be for linebackers/corners. Our offense is young with many up and coming players so they will be able to address the defense mainly. As for this year, the key will be to be able to generate some pressure. We do that, we have plenty of playmakers on defense to make plays.

Comment

Working...
                    X

Debug Information