Nick Barnett

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick Barnett

So what do you guys think is gonna happen with his contract situation?

He's entering his last year under contract, he's only 25 and on the verge of being a Pro Bowler, and he's going to be demanding a huge contract.

TT doesn't seem to be in any hurry to re-sign him which makes me wonder if he is willing to wait until training camp to see what Abdul Hodge shows. If Hodge impresses then TT would have to make a difficult decision on whether to give Barnett big money when he has a suitable replacement already on the roster. Either that, or if he can actually convince Barnett to move outside, where personally I think he'd be a stud, he could get them both on the field. If he did decide to pass on re-signing Barnett I'm sure he could get pretty good value in a trade for him, either by trading him before the trade deadline next year or by tagging him at the end of the season.

By no means am I saying that I think they should get rid of Barnett, I'm just considering possible scenarios. As of now Hodge is somewhat of an unknown commodity, and even though I really like him, despite his deficiencies in pass coverage, I'm not ready to get rid of Barnett for him.

There's also the possibilty that Barnett could receive an extension any day now, which I'd be very happy about, even though I've heard basically nothing about them working on one.

Nick has had a history of injuries but he seems to be tough enough to play through many of them. There's also the question of whether he's a team player or not with him refusing to move outside (as compared to AJ Hawk who, when asked what position he'd play in GB replied "I will play where ever it will help us win."). Their were also rumors that he didn't like the small town lifestyle in GB (though I don't know if there's any truth to that or not).

In any event, something is gonna have to be done by next season so I think it's worth discussing.

Thoughts/opinions?
    Originally posted by njx9
    i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.

I would be extremely disappointed if we let him go. He was our first round pick, still young, and is emerging as a top LB. He's a key piece to our defense and we have the money. I fully trust Thompson, but if he released Barnett I would start to question him a bit.

Comment

i'd really like to extend Barnett. we have the cap space to do it. I'm not sure exactly where Hodge fits in then, but I kind of want to keep Barnett in the middle.

Sig thanks to mockalicious

Comment

Originally posted by jackalope View Post
        i'd really like to extend Barnett. we have the cap space to do it. I'm not sure exactly where Hodge fits in then, but I kind of want to keep Barnett in the middle.
        I'd like to move him outside. But if it was inside or he's gone Hodge can sit on the bench.

Comment

We need to extend Barnett. We have the money, he's had the production. I'm interested to hear what he thinks he's worth. A rookie beat him out as far as number of tackles this year. He didn't force enough turnovers. He still has the range, coverage skills and tackling ability to be a top LB, but I don't see a stupid money contract, considering Ted could franchise him next year if he wants to.
          The pain fades and the good memories will remain.

Comment

I think wed have to delete the TT love thread if he let Barnett walk, and then starta hate thread if Hodge didn do good

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Barnett reminds me of donnie edwards

Comment

I think we'll see an extension following the draft becuase Ted will be able to gauge what the future salary cap will be and he can decide what type of deal he wants to negotiate.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

I saw the Packers defense play without Nick barnett, and that was once too many. I recently read on Jsonline or somwhere that the contract is being worked on. The FO will resign him, no worries.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                  they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                  Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Barnett never actually refused to play OLB, he said he'd like to stay at Middle but didn't refuse to make a change. He's an all team guy and is handling his business very quietly and professionally(not like Mckdouche bag, and Walker). I say he gets signed before the start of TC if not sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by FLORIDA PACKER View Post
                      Barnett never actually refused to play OLB, he said he'd like to stay at Middle but didn't refuse to make a change. He's an all team guy and is handling his business very quietly and professionally(not like Mckdouche bag, and Walker). I say he gets signed before the start of TC if not sooner.
                      Barnett will still in the middle! :)

Comment

Originally posted by FLORIDA PACKER View Post
                        He has said he wants to stay in the middle and would require more pay for him to agree to move outside

Originally posted by princefielder28
                        Sherman's hitting percentage on draft picks is like Ben Sheets at the plate

Comment

Originally posted by M1Koter View Post
                          He has said he wants to stay in the middle and would require more pay for him to agree to move outside
                          Yup and with this contract that means he can move back to his original spot of SOLB then Hodge in the Middle! I know we will resign him, Ted is not that dumb to let him walk but id like to see him back on the outside like in college he has so much speed and can run wild out there with Hawk i mean that would be one of the best duals on the outside in the NFL.

Hodge needs to work on coverage but with a whole offseason he should be improving and the guy is an animal plane and simple he makes tackles. Plus that would be tight to have Green Bay and Wisconsin both having one of the brothers starting at MLB! His lil brother Elijah is going to be great, would have started last year as a fresman if Mark Zalaski wasnt there

Comment

Originally posted by GadoR'Savior View Post
                            Yup and with this contract that means he can move back to his original spot of SOLB then Hodge in the Middle! I know we will resign him, Ted is not that dumb to let him walk but id like to see him back on the outside like in college he has so much speed and can run wild out there with Hawk i mean that would be one of the best duals on the outside in the NFL.

Hodge needs to work on coverage but with a whole offseason he should be improving and the guy is an animal plane and simple he makes tackles. Plus that would be tight to have Green Bay and Wisconsin both having one of the brothers starting at MLB! His lil brother Elijah is going to be great, would have started last year as a fresman if Mark Zalaski wasnt there
                            Not a bad idea but it would be all on whether or not Hodge is ready

Comment

Green Bay Packers linebacker Nick Barnett is focused on the season ahead — not the contract extension he still hasn't received from the Packers, his agent said Monday.

"There is no drop-dead date (for negotiations), because there's nothing we can do," Chuck Price said. "He's under contract, and he's playing.

"Now, the longer he plays without a (long-term) contract, does it affect him mentally? … I can't tell you that. He doesn't feel good about it. But it's something he can't control, so he's not worrying about it."

Price said he hadn't spoken to Packers officials about Barnett's deal in roughly a month and hadn't gotten a response to an e-mail he sent last week. But Barnett, 25, was present for the first day of the team's offseason workout program Monday, Price said.

A first-round draft pick out of Oregon State in 2003, Barnett is scheduled to make $1.95 million in base salary in the final season of his original rookie deal. He started 15 games at middle linebacker last season, missing one with a hand injury, and finished second on the team with 141 tackles (88 solo).
                              http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs...703200475/1989

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information