X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by art vandelay
    How did Eric Winston look this year?
    He looked like a damn caveman! J/K. He looked a little unprepared for like his first quarter of NFL action in the regular season, but really picked up and looks like he could be one of our anchors on the outside for a long time. He still needs to work on some technique, but once he owns his skills he should really take it to the next level.

Comment

• We got Frank Bush from the Cardinals as our Ass. Def. Cordinator. Thoughts?

Comment

• I dont know much about Bush, but from what Ive heard he is very experienced and was a guy that Kubiak wanted last year as his DC, but Arizona wouldnt let him interview....so he had to wait a year to get his man, and by some of the comments I read on the Texans website, Kubiak is thrilled to have him

Comment

• He was on the Drookie team and then he messed his spine, and has narrowing of the spinal cord, like Cooper Manning. Cards LBs were pretty solid, Dansby and Hayes are real good players. If this guy was supposed to be a D coordinator for us, he must be good.

Comment

• Thoughts on the offseason I had in the forum mock?

Draft -

1. #36 (round 2) - Brandon Meriweather, FS/CB - University of Miami (FL)

Character concerns, I know (though I believe his particular concerns are a tad overrated, but still) But I mean, I cant go another season watching Glenn Earl and CC Brown starting at Safety.

Meriweather can play 2 positions of need for us, but will play safety most of the time.

In all seriousness, Meriweather might drop quite a bit further in the actual draft because of his character concerns, but my #1 and #2 options were just taken off the board and the board now lacks a lot of good options at DB. Brandon, in terms of skill is in the same category as Landry/Nelson/Griffin, most notably Griffin, and if not for the FIU incident would have been taken as high as mid-first. (I dont count the "incident" where he returned fire, legally, at someone who shot his roommate.)

When all is said and done, I need a DB that can cover the run, the pass, and make plays. I believe Brandon is that guy.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

2. #40 (round 2) - Quinn Pitcock, DT - The Ohio State University

Not a sexy pick, but a solid guy with a good motor, and the type of people that we need on D. He is someone with the "New England Patriot mentality" Thomas Johnson and Anthony Maddox as our future at DT concerns me. Weaver is not a long term solution, though I do like him. I believe Pitcock is good value here and adds to our young core of defensive players.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

3. #54 (round 2) - Ryan Harris, LT - University of Notre Dame

There aren't many top-tier Tackles available in this draft, and that is one of my weaknesses, especially now with Spencer and his unfortunate injury, I felt that I needed to address this position on the first day. Ryan Harris is a great athlete at the position and imo, can most definitely play LT at the pro level. He is a smart player with tons of experience, who still has good upside. He is a perfect fit in the ZBS, imo.

4. #61 (round 2) - Anthony Gonzalez, WR - The Ohio State University

Moulds is up there in age, and we were targeting a future wideout to compliment Andre Johnson, I think Anthony Gonzalez is a perfect fit who will boost the corps as a #3 while Moulds is around next season, but take over his spot as the #2 in years to come. I am excited to make this pick at the bottom of round 2.

5. #72 (round 3) - Drew Stanton, QB - Michigan State University

David Carr isnt exactly the most popular person in Houston right now. Gary Kubiak loves his QB to be mobile, and bootleg a lot, and that is what Stanton is. Stanton has all the tools to be a starter in the NFL, and will be a good backup to Carr when he eventually screws up and/or goes three games without throwing the ball more than five yards downfield. I felt we needed to address the QB position as there is no certainty that any of our current QB's make the opening day roster.

Trades -

1. Via Trade - Reuben Droughns, RB - Formerly of the Cleveland Browns

Reuben is a guy who was a 1200 yard back in Cleveland, and a 1200 yard back in Denver, under Gary Kubiak. I just thought that this move made sense, another former Bronco (since we love bringing in those former Broncos) that has had success under our Head coach. Droughs didnt have a great year last year, and the Browns had just drafted Adrian Peterson, so I got him for cheap. I think it is a worthwhile chance to take.

2. Via Trade - David Pittman, CB - Formrely of the Baltimore Ravens

A 3rd round pick last year, I got him for a mid-5th. Pittman has good potential and could be the future #2 opposite Dunta. I was looking for CB help and got it in a 23 year old player just off of his rookie season, who could very well be our nickel back next season.

3. Via Trade - Brian Russell, FS - Formerly of the Cleveland Browns

Safety depth.

4. Via Trade - Al Singleton, OLB - Formerly of the Dallas Cowboys

Throw in in a trade down deal.

Comment

• All those trades and stuff are pretty much never going to happen, but I like the players you got mostly in the draft. I don't think highly of Ryan Harris. I love Meriweather.

Comment

• Well, I dont deny that some of this wouldnt happen. But for the sake of argument, imagine that its possible and just assess what I did :)

Im a big Meriweather fan also, and like you, not a huge Harris fan, but with Spencer's injury, I wanted to address LT and Harris was the only worthwhile prospect there.

Comment

• I'll make my comments on Comahans draft. At least try to, can't really say much because we don't know who else is available, but I'll give it my best shot.

1st thing- I don't like that you traded out of the first rd. Okay, first I'll comment on the trades. Then I'll comment on the pick. You didn't tell us how you came about with all those extra picks. However you got us with the Bucs, Cowboys, Browns and Ravens picks. Three teams and only one pick of ours gone. Not only that, but you got a OLB from the Cowboys, RB and S from Browns and another S from the Ravens. I look at all these things and the thought that goes through my mind is how much better of a team did you make us. You may have worked out the value draft position wise, but talentwise I'm just not sold.

1st pick- Merriweather- Okay I'm not sold on this guy. He's got some talent, but he looked bad at the senior bowl. At the beginning of the season he was talked about as a top S talent, but now is really not being heard of. This yr. he just didn't show up as much and you add that to his character concerns I just don't know if he A) provides enough of an upgrade to warrant this pick. B) is a right fit character-wise on our team.

You also have Droughns on this pick which I'm not too fond of. We lack youth at the RB position and you got us an older RB. How much and how long could we expect him to keep performing at a consistent high level? Then you not only got droughns, but got another S. I know S may not be our strongest unit, but I think you're overdoing it with all the S's you bring in in this pick.

Overall I give this one a C I can't be more critical or whatnot, because I don't know what other talent was available when the pick was made.

2nd- Pitcock- No problem with this one, the guy may not be a huge penetrator, but he can cause alot of chaos up front and brings leadership skills to the table. Also hit on a need.

A- Again I don't know what else was there, but this pick is good.

3rd- Harris- Hmm, I think you reached for a position here. I'd have to go back and watch tape on Harris, but he never really jumped out at me or impressed me much. I guess your projection of his ceiling may justify the pick, but Spencer is making a good recovery and should be back soon. Spending a second rounder on possible depth. Nothing against it, just I don't think it's the best move. However you did also pick up Al Singleton on this trade as well.

B

4th- Gonzalez- A second Buckeye huh. I guess I could live with that. He does have the potential to be groomed as Moulds replacement and you brought in a CB as well.

A-

5th- Stanton- Not too high on this pick but to each his own. Third rd. I dunno man.

B-

Comment

• I meant to say four teams. Lol. Sorry, just caught that myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by datchapin
                      1st pick- Merriweather- Okay I'm not sold on this guy. He's got some talent, but he looked bad at the senior bowl. At the beginning of the season he was talked about as a top S talent, but now is really not being heard of. This yr. he just didn't show up as much and you add that to his character concerns I just don't know if he A) provides enough of an upgrade to warrant this pick. B) is a right fit character-wise on our team.
                      Meriweather was probably the best DB at the senior bowl. He still was very good this season, people forget the U had an amazing defense. Character concerns are overblown.

Comment

• yea he had a great week at the senior bowl dont be biased and make things up because scott talked nothin bout postive things about him. He would be a great pick in the 2nd round but i hope he goes 1st to keep the U streak alive.

Comment

• Okay, sorry, bad may have been too strong a word. He didn't look as impressive as one (me) would have hoped. As far as safeties go maybe. However I think Ross really did well and helped his stock alot.

Anyways talking about character concerns I don't think so. I mean they are really important. When he got involved in that brawl that put a big question mark on him for me. Not only the character implications, but his emotional control, if he lost it there how will he handle other similar situation's at the pro level? I think with any player you really have to make good judgement calls on them. I don't know Merriweather myself or anything, but his actions speak louder than words. Our team has a high standard when it comes to character and I just do not see him being the best fit on the team.

Comment

• Originally posted by datchapin
                            Okay, sorry, bad may have been too strong a word. He didn't look as impressive as one (me) would have hoped. As far as safeties go maybe. However I think Ross really did well and helped his stock alot.

Anyways talking about character concerns I don't think so. I mean they are really important. When he got involved in that brawl that put a big question mark on him for me. Not only the character implications, but his emotional control, if he lost it there how will he handle other similar situation's at the pro level? I think with any player you really have to make good judgement calls on them. I don't know Merriweather myself or anything, but his actions speak louder than words. Our team has a high standard when it comes to character and I just do not see him being the best fit on the team.
                            I don't know I would probably do the same thing he did. If a full fledged brawl starts happening in the middle of the field, I would jump in and fight alongside my teammates. There is nothing wrong with that IMO, he didn't start it. Look at what happens when there are fights in baseball, benches clear and everyone jumps in. That is the team dynamic, and while it may not have been the case had Merriweather not jumped into the fight he would have isolated himself from his teammates.

Comment

• true when a fight breaks out on a team you are going to jump in to protect your teamates. He got a lil crazy but when there are fights people become crazy and if he had just sat there he would have lost respected from his teamates but he did go a little to crazy but not like reddick he is crazy.

Comment

• Sure there are some blemishes in his past and there are no questions about that... But sometimes people change for the better... Im sure a lot of teams will be willing to give him a chance, maybe later than he should be taken, but there is no question he will be a good player...if he is there in the 2nd, and we havent taken a DB yet, Id certainly consider him as a FS...

On another note....would you guys be against going DL again in the first with a guy like Adams, Anderson, Okoye, Branch???

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information