Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big win. How'd Mario look? I'm an NC guy here so the Texans are never on :( Next year I'm definately getting the gameday package and my gf will just have to live with it. Hopefully Mario got some good pressure on Garrard.

I like Lundy a lot and think that next year we will have an excellent one-two punch with him and Davis. No way I would go RB in round one espically because it seems that value can often be found after the first round (Jones-Drew, Leon Washington, Lundy, etc) None of the latest batch of top ten picks (Bush, Brown, Cadillac, Benson) have exceeded expectations either.

Comment

Agree #1 & 2 are interchangeable. I really don't know what the salary cap situation is with the team but it would be nice if we were able to sign stud CB and OLB during free agency period. This could really accelerate our team growth with another great draft class next year similar to what it was this year. Then we can focus on drafting FS, DT, RB, OC and basically trying to fix over all team depth.

For the amount of money we are paying Morlon Greenwood, he really hasn't done much and should be let go next year. Other players who might not make the team next year could be Seth Payne (due to health reason), Kailee Wong, Zach Weigert and Steve Mckinney.

Comment

Scott, I know its only week 9, but the Texans have obvious holes, this is what has to happen in order for Texans to become competitive or even dominant team in very near future.

1. Franchise RB
        The Texans have never had one, and is a key to the offense. Lundy is good, but like DD will never be able to carry the whole load. A Clinton Portis like back would be a boom for the offense. IMO, either Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch (cal) in the draft or maybe a young vet, like Michael Turner

2. Dominate Safety
        The biggest hole in the D is now at safety. Both of them are horrible. Look how guys like Ed Reed or Polumalu can lead a Defense.

3. Run Stopping DT
        The Texans have solid ends, but the tackle position is a huge hole, with Payne out and T. Johnson turning into a bust. If you think Ryans plays good now, stick a big body or two in front of him and let him wreck shop. A Shuan Rodgers or Casey Hampton clone would do wonders.

4. O-Line
        The biggest knocking point of the Texans since the beginning, A few key vets would be the key to improving, with maybe a good rookie to develop. Tackle is the biggest need

If there is a top 5 pick (which I imagine the Texans will have). I hope it isn't wasted on an O-Lineman. Second rounders have generally turned out better (Unless they have Pace/Hutchinson talent). Vet O-Line is the best way to go anyways.

RB or Safety should be the first pick, unless there is a great DT available.

See how Carr does in year - They need a QB who can deliver more then 4 wins a season. Jury is still out on Carr but one thing is very clear me that he is not a franchise type QB like Payton Manning, Carson palmer, Tom Brady or Phillip River.

At LB - Brian Urlacher clone would be nice

Comment

Tackle is now very thin with Weigert going down for the year with a torn ACL. Now it's Winstons time to shine. Winston has impressed in the limited time he has been on the field including getting a huge push on the 4th down call that sealed the victory for us yesterday.

Peek also went down yesterday with a sprained MCL.

Comment

all those qb's you just sayed have great talent around them and it is vetern talent at that we dont have that xept 4 eric moulds and carr is getting better each week we really need a playmaker at either olb of Saftey prob saftey they should throw big money at lance briggs this offseason and trade up for calvin johnson because moulds is getting old and Johnson would be what this offense need and saftey can be found in round 2 with merriweather becasue his involvemtn in the fight dropped him but he is still at top 20 talent

Comment

I think we need to make signing a solid DT a FA priority this off-season. Even if we do draft a good DT having two guys that can be effective in the middle will really help out. Our current DT's aren't starting quality and some of our DE's seem to fit better there than our DT's. That's never a good sign. Also signing a good DT relieves pressure from having to draft a DT in the first or second rd.

Comment

how is Travis Johnson doing with you guys.

Comment

Not good. The guy is barely making plays or getting good push on the line. He's easily pushed to the outside on pass plays opening huge holes for the QB to run through. I dunno the guy runs his mouth more than his motor. He's not living up to 1st rd. potential and suffered a calf injury that could have him out for a while. Other than that he's doing well.

Comment

Originally posted by Grid
                    Scott, I know its only week 9, but the Texans have obvious holes, this is what has to happen in order for Texans to become competitive or even dominant team in very near future.

1. Franchise RB
                    The Texans have never had one, and is a key to the offense. Lundy is good, but like DD will never be able to carry the whole load. A Clinton Portis like back would be a boom for the offense. IMO, either Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch (cal) in the draft or maybe a young vet, like Michael Turner

2. Dominate Safety
                    The biggest hole in the D is now at safety. Both of them are horrible. Look how guys like Ed Reed or Polumalu can lead a Defense.

3. Run Stopping DT
                    The Texans have solid ends, but the tackle position is a huge hole, with Payne out and T. Johnson turning into a bust. If you think Ryans plays good now, stick a big body or two in front of him and let him wreck shop. A Shuan Rodgers or Casey Hampton clone would do wonders.

4. O-Line
                    The biggest knocking point of the Texans since the beginning, A few key vets would be the key to improving, with maybe a good rookie to develop. Tackle is the biggest need

If there is a top 5 pick (which I imagine the Texans will have). I hope it isn't wasted on an O-Lineman. Second rounders have generally turned out better (Unless they have Pace/Hutchinson talent). Vet O-Line is the best way to go anyways.

RB or Safety should be the first pick, unless there is a great DT available.

See how Carr does in year - They need a QB who can deliver more then 4 wins a season. Jury is still out on Carr but one thing is very clear me that he is not a franchise type QB like Payton Manning, Carson palmer, Tom Brady or Phillip River.

At LB - Brian Urlacher clone would be nice
                    1. I'm sorry I gotta disagree. While getting a RB in the first rd. would be the sexy pick I don't think it's a first rd. pick for us. A. P. runs like E. Campbell, except he doesn't have the same size or phisical attributes. The way he runs I just can't see him being healthy for long. DD looked like a franchise back before his injuries. Also Gado is a beast in waiting. Lundy has to step up again, but even if he doesn't we got Taylor and a complimentary back would be more suitable for us. It's sexy to have a franchise back, but the bottom line is the rushing production and most teams are realizing that tandems are very effective. Broncos, Giants, Falcons, Chargers, so forth and so on are now working with tandems. We should follow suit and address our biggest holes in the 1st rd.

2. One could make the argument that DT is our biggest hole on D, because honestly right now our DT's suck balls. However I do agree that a ball hawking safety would make life alot easier for our team. Man, maybe I'm a little bias, but I would really love to land Landry.

3. Agreed DT is a big need, even with a healthy TJ and Payne this position could use an upgrade.

4. Yeah, I agree to an extent, but not on tackle being our biggest need. Winston has looked good and Spencer looked real good. While this position may be taken earlier I think our line is starting to get solid and our biggest need would be depth. A tackle to back up Winston and Spencer and also a guard to back up Pitts and Weary. Center shouldn't be drafted, maybe an undrafted FA, but Hodgdon looks solid behind Flannagan and Mike should have at least another good yr. in him.

1st rd. should be used on defense. Take your pick on position because they could all be upgraded.

D. Carr has shown vast improvement and I think he can become that franchise QB. Different opinions, but that's just mine.

Ryans is a good MLB, I'd much rather have a Merriman clone (without steroids.) Cuz we need OLB help.

Comment

Antwan Peek's out 2-4 weeks. Is he gonna be back next yr. He was signed to a 1 yr. tender. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by datchapin
                        Antwan Peek's out 2-4 weeks. Is he gonna be back next yr. He was signed to a 1 yr. tender. Thoughts?
                        Love him, but I doubt he gets resigned. We have lots of DE depth. Hope he does though. We need DT help badly.

Comment

datchapin, the only reason I say we need a franchise type RB is to be able to control the clock and move the chain. This will help David Carr in taking some of the pressure off and it will help the management and coaching staff to rebuild this team. Presently we don't have a RB of that magnitude.

LUV U BLUE didn't become LUV U BLUE till Earl Campbell arrived in scene. We need a big pounder who just keeps plugging away. Early was a special player that I don’t think we will ever see another RB like him.

On the subject of David Carr, exactly how long does he need before we decide on him? In the past 4.5 years he has done absolutely nothing despite being paid franchise money. If we are to pay that kind of money to a QB doesn't he also need to produce in the same fashion? Carr lacks leadership, and intangibles which you need at that position.

Hiring Charlie Casserly and Dom Capers really took our team back and now it almost like starting over. So many wasted drafts picks and ill advised personnel move. We are paying for all the mistakes of the past regime. It will take couple of years to fix all the mess created by them.

With the move from 3-4 to 4-3 also makes Babin and peek expendable, especially after signing Anthony Weaver. Peek will become FA next year and I don't think Texans will sign him. Peek has been injured most of this year and really hasn't shown anything when he has been on the fields either.

Comment

Hiring Charlie Casserly and Dom Capers really took our team back and now it almost like starting over. So many wasted drafts picks and ill advised personnel move. We are paying for all the mistakes of the past regime. It will take couple of years to fix all the mess created by them.
                            Say what you will, Casserly manned a great '06 draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver
                              Say what you will, Casserly manned a great '06 draft.
                              The biggest part of the problem is that Capers would never switch to a 4-3. Casserly didn't necessarily draft and acquire bad players, but it seemed like he and Capers weren't on the same page of acquiring players to fit their schemes.

Comment

Shiver wrote:
                                [Say what you will, Casserly manned a great '06 draft.]

Any one who knows even 1% about the team will tell you that Gary Kubiak was fully responsible for 2006 draft and casserly had very little to do with the draft. This is one of the main reason why Casserly is working for the CBS right now. Bob McNair is too good of a man, he trusted in Charlie Casserly to be the GM of the expansion team. [/quote]

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information