Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That would suck if Spencer's injury was that serious. I can't see how it could be though, because with all the medicine and technology of today, people come back from torn ACLs pretty routinely. Plus wasn't it a clean fracture?

Comment

Originally posted by gunn
      Originally posted by Grid
      He will officially be first BUST in the Texans short time span if his game doesn't improve between now and next year. After next season there is good chance he might be let go.
      First BUST????

I'll stick to players taken in the first 3 rounds.

1 David Carr - At this point, you can give all the excuses you want, but I say Bust.
      2 Jabar Gaffney - Is he out of football yet?
      3 Charles Hill - Out of football

2 Tony Hollings - Out of football
      2 Ben Joppru - Out of football? If not, he's walking the line.
      3 Seth Wand - Out of football?
      3 Dave Ragone - Completely wasted pick

1 Jason Babin - We traded away three first day picks for him. I say bust.

1 Travis Johnson - Completely baffling pick. Likely a bust

Lets not forget that we also gave away a second and a third round pick for Phillip Buchanon. Is he still employed by an NFL team?

Oops sorry. You're absolutely right about our previous coaches and GM. Its shame that we wasted so many draft picks. Some times I wonder if all those picks had been utilized properly like this year then how different our team be looking right now.

Gaffney is out of foot ball as well, he was cut by Eagles and Joppru is on Chicago practice squad right now.

Comment

Originally posted by America
        That would suck if Spencer's injury was that serious. I can't see how it could be though, because with all the medicine and technology of today, people come back from torn ACLs pretty routinely. Plus wasn't it a clean fracture?

A high break in the bone like he had often results in soft tissue damage too. That is why they've been saying the leg was broken in a bad place. They have to wait for the bone to heal before they address the ligaments.

According to Kubiak on Monday 610 report: it was a bad injury and that they don't know if he will be able to get back to his previous form. Take that for what it's worth.

I think Kubiak was saying "with an ACL injury" you know the time table, and it has been proven time and time again. With Spencer's injury, you do not have the same kind of repetitive recovery to use to predict his return. Every broken leg injury is different in where it breaks and the extent of injury to the soft tissue and the atrophy of the muscles in the leg in a cast.

Guys no one will know where Spencer is until spring time. And even then we may not have a solid return by date. So far Spencer is following doctors order to the T and he is recovering ahead of schedule with out any complications to report of but it is too soon to say anything about him or his health.

This may change our draft strategy.

Comment

I hate Ron Dayne. It feels as if all he did was come in and take out Spencer. This season is going so bad I feel like I wanna cry. 3 starting linemen out for the season 2 starting DT's and a backup out our starting RB may be out forever our back-up QB. This sucks.

Comment

Jabar Gaffney is currently playing with the Patriots
            Phillip Buchanon was signed by the Bucs immediately after his release, and i think Seth Wand has been signed by the Titans

Comment

Originally posted by Dunta_23
              Jabar Gaffney is currently playing with the Patriots
              Phillip Buchanon was signed by the Bucs immediately after his release, and i think Seth Wand has been signed by the Titans

All of these players have been one year rental sort of speak. They haven't set the world on fire since joining new team. Patriats had no receiving corp after their starters bolted so they picked up Gaffeney. Titans were hearting at tackle position very badly so they picked up Seth Wand (he has better future then the rest of this group). We all know how Buchanon is so I won't go into details for him. Joppru was signed by Chicago and letter cut. He just signed with Seattle.

I wish all of these guys well.

Comment

I found Coachdent article on Texans message board very interesting and worth reading to find out why we are struggling so much with cover 2 defense and vertical game of the Texans.

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=31619

Comment

Like most teams with bad records now that we've lost quite a few lets look forward to the one thing we have to look forward too. The draft. We've got a lot of positions that we could go with a first rounder on. I personally would like to see us take Leon Hall to give Dunta some help out there. Faggins has been horrible lately, but I feel he could be a solid nickel back. Then in the second I kind of want a defensive tackle. We've already got some space eaters so a quick athletic penetrator would be nice. Then maybe a safety or guard or center.

Comment

Originally posted by cunningham06
                    Like most teams with bad records now that we've lost quite a few lets look forward to the one thing we have to look forward too. The draft. We've got a lot of positions that we could go with a first rounder on. I personally would like to see us take Leon Hall to give Dunta some help out there. Faggins has been horrible lately, but I feel he could be a solid nickel back. Then in the second I kind of want a defensive tackle. We've already got some space eaters so a quick athletic penetrator would be nice. Then maybe a safety or guard or center.
                    This off season I believe following players more then likely will be let go due to salary cap, age, injuries and lack of productions.

Steve McKinney (I still don't know why we signed him to new contract this year)
                    Mark Bruenner
                    Morlon Greenwood
                    Kailee Wong
                    Seth Payne (Injuries have taken its toll)
                    Jason Babin - Traded for draft picks. Not enough production
                    Peek - Walks with FA. Not enough production in regular season
                    RT (forgetting the name but he is injured right now)

Obviously with all needs that we have on our team can't be fixed in one draft. So let's analyze Texans needs first on both offense and defense.

Offense:

RB - DD is done and we don't have consistent running game
                    LT ( depending on health of Spencer of course)
                    OC - good year to draft one, since Flannagan is getting up in age but he can still play for year or two.

Defense:

FS
                    CB
                    DT
                    OLB

Our biggest needs lies in the secondary but rookie CB gets abused allot in the NFL and normally speaking it takes few years for them to settle down where as FS, SS and LB can play right out from college and be very productive in the game.

By emphasizing on defense this year, it will give us a fighting chance to at least be in the ball game.

Draft - Depends where we land in the draft

Round 1 - Allan Branch / AP or Lynch / Thomas (depending on health of Spencer)
                    Round 2 - FS
                    Round 3 - OLB
                    Round 4 - OC

Free Agency: Spend loads of money and sign Clements first then Briggs

If we end up in top 5 then it will be better to trade down and pick up few more draft picks on day one.

Travis Johnson really hasn't played well for us at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grid
                      Originally posted by cunningham06
                      This off season I believe following players more then likely will be let go due to salary cap, age, injuries and lack of productions.

Steve McKinney (I still don't know why we signed him to new contract this year)
                      Mark Bruenner
                      Morlon Greenwood
                      Kailee Wong
                      Seth Payne (Injuries have taken its toll)
                      Jason Babin - Traded for draft picks. Not enough production
                      Peek - Walks with FA. Not enough production in regular season
                      RT (forgetting the name but he is injured right now)

Obviously with all needs that we have on our team can't be fixed in one draft. So let's analyze Texans needs first on both offense and defense.

Offense:

RB - DD is done and we don't have consistent running game
                      LT ( depending on health of Spencer of course)
                      OC - good year to draft one, since Flannagan is getting up in age but he can still play for year or two.

Defense:

FS
                      CB
                      DT
                      OLB

Our biggest needs lies in the secondary but rookie CB gets abused allot in the NFL and normally speaking it takes few years for them to settle down where as FS, SS and LB can play right out from college and be very productive in the game.

By emphasizing on defense this year, it will give us a fighting chance to at least be in the ball game.

Draft - Depends where we land in the draft

Round 1 - Allan Branch / AP or Lynch / Thomas (depending on health of Spencer)
                      Round 2 - FS
                      Round 3 - OLB
                      Round 4 - OC

Free Agency: Spend loads of money and sign Clements first then Briggs

If we end up in top 5 then it will be better to trade down and pick up few more draft picks on day one.

Travis Johnson really hasn't played well for us at all.
                      That would be awesome if we got either one of them, but there is no way we will get both. We won't be able to offer both players more than everyone else and still have comfortable room under the salary cap.

Comment

I found Coachdent article on Texans message board very interesting and worth reading to find out why we are struggling so much with cover 2 defense and vertical game of the Texans.

I gotta say I really like how he broke it down. However, there are many ways to exploit the cover two which he either didn't cover or emphasize. To keep it short in order to beat the cover two you have to exploit the players covering each zone. Releasing 2 or three receivers at a time will never be effective if they don't focus on certain zones. The way we've run our defense we've usually had two receivers going deep the problem is that there are four defenders covering these zones and since we don't send a third receiver into deep routes defenders have an easier time of rolling coverage to the zones the receivers are covering. If we had a slot receiver or TE run a deeper route to occupy a deep zone that had to be accounted for by a safety we would have one of the other two receivers on one on one match-ups.

I think it boils down to our coaches not willing to do these things. I'm hard pressed to think that they don't know how to handle this defense when they came in with the knowledge of facing Dungy's defense and not having a plan on beating it. If you notice late in the game we've had success against these defenses, but the coaches got to do this throughout the game not once we've fallen behind. The five wide sets really exploit this cover, but you don't see this as much as you should from our team.

I really don't want to get into berating the coaches because to be honest they're rookies as well. However alot of what ails this team still lies at their feet. I don't like how conservative they can get and I don't aprove of everything they do, however considering they are rookies I gotta hope that they can learn from their mistakes and correct them before the end of the season. I say give them time because sometimes when your so engrossed with something it can be hard to see what the dilema is, hopefully coach K will get it figured out real soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by datchapin

I gotta say I really like how he broke it down. However, there are many ways to exploit the cover two which he either didn't cover or emphasize. To keep it short in order to beat the cover two you have to exploit the players covering each zone. Releasing 2 or three receivers at a time will never be effective if they don't focus on certain zones. The way we've run our defense we've usually had two receivers going deep the problem is that there are four defenders covering these zones and since we don't send a third receiver into deep routes defenders have an easier time of rolling coverage to the zones the receivers are covering. If we had a slot receiver or TE run a deeper route to occupy a deep zone that had to be accounted for by a safety we would have one of the other two receivers on one on one match-ups.

I think it boils down to our coaches not willing to do these things. I'm hard pressed to think that they don't know how to handle this defense when they came in with the knowledge of facing Dungy's defense and not having a plan on beating it. If you notice late in the game we've had success against these defenses, but the coaches got to do this throughout the game not once we've fallen behind. The five wide sets really exploit this cover, but you don't see this as much as you should from our team.

I really don't want to get into berating the coaches because to be honest they're rookies as well. However alot of what ails this team still lies at their feet. I don't like how conservative they can get and I don't aprove of everything they do, however considering they are rookies I gotta hope that they can learn from their mistakes and correct them before the end of the season. I say give them time because sometimes when your so engrossed with something it can be hard to see what the dilema is, hopefully coach K will get it figured out real soon.
                          I agree with you 100% but due to lack of talent on both side of the ball, Kubes is playing it safe and trying to keep the ball games under control. If he had better running game then you might have seen better play action play. This is the reason he was trying to acquire DeAngelo Williams in the draft last year. Good thing he didn't because it would have meant no Ryans.

Comment

• Depending on off season moves you have to select the best player based your team priority and needs.

Round 1 - Allan Branch or AP or Lynch or Thomas (depending on health of Spencer)

Comment

Originally posted by datchapin

I agree with you 100% but due to lack of talent on both side of the ball, Kubes is playing it safe and trying to keep the ball games under control. If he had better running game then you might have seen better play action play. This is the reason he was trying to acquire DeAngelo Williams in the draft last year. Good thing he didn't because it would have meant no Ryans.
                              At this point in the season a lack of talent can be attributed to injuries. However even if a team lacks talent in one area it is the coaches job to make sure there is enough talent on the team at all time to get the job done. Our DT area is average at best however they do their job well enough that everyone else can still be effective. The play action shouldn't even be an issue. If you don't have a running game you drop the play action and drop straight into the passing play. This is also something that frustrates me about this coaching staff. You got third and long and you think that a defense is going to fall for a play action. Even if you did run on third and long D's in the zone coverage don't worry much about it because the RB would have to get through the firs level of zones before getting the first down. Also when you have success with a 5 receiver set and know it gives zone defenses trouble covering it why disguise it. Shove it down their throat and get the first down. This is a battle of wills and alot of times you need to just go with your strength and put it agains their strength and see who comes out on top.

Comment

• Well, gameday is here and while usually I'm hyped up and full of confidence, after last week's game I'm a little tentative about todays game. I have confidence we can take this game, but it should still be a good game. Last week was just bad how we came out so flat. If we come out like that again we're gonna be crushed. (again) However if we play like we mean it we can definetely take this game. Hopefully we get the win. GO TEXANS!!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information